Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

World of Warcraft Official Thread - Round 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: World of Warcraft Official Thread - Round 3

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
to drop a profession, i think you press 'k' to bring up the 'skills' pane and then select Blacksmithing. it should show up in the lower pane and have a red 'anti' (circle with line through it) icon on the right side. you click that and then a window pops up asking if you're sure you want to drop Blacksmithing.

you'll make a good amount of money from mining and smelting the ore into bars (part of the mining skill) and selling the bars. on my server i remember Copper bars (the lowest ones) going for well over a gold a stack on the auction house (AH).

but the main thing is to have fun. play like you want to play. there is not rush; take time to read the quest text. if you get stuck look up the quest on thottbot.com or wowhead.com.

as a palidan, once you hit level 10ish try to keep an eye on the auction house and keep up to date on your weapon (2 handed weapon is usually the best to palidans). a 'green text' weapon with strength whos minimum level required is you level or a few lower is your best bet. this will make you kill monsters faster. dont worry as much about armor. it helps but not as much as a good weapon (from my experience)
Thanks for the info, I am definitely having fun so far. I think my other issue is when I would want to join a guild. I am sure there are tons of them, but I don't want to join a random one I don't know anything about. Is there one that alot of DVDTalkers are a part of? I am in a PvE server. I would like to join a pretty easy going guild, but I don't know too many real life people that play this so I was hoping some of you could point me in a good direction.
Old 10-14-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What Realm are you on? It is possible someone from Dvdtalk might be on your realm and could help in selecting a guild.
Old 10-14-09, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am in Quel'Dorei
Old 10-14-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Dont be in too much a rush to join a guild. it usually best to wait and see if people you happen to group with want to invite you. Also, if you dont have a guild you can take advantage of the people who are looking for signatures to form a guild of their own. they usually just want a guild name and will pay people a gold or ten to sign their charter (it takes ten people signing a charter in order to form a guild). once they get ten signatures and start the guild, they dump all the other people.
Its an easy way to make money when it happens.
there is also a 'guild recuirtment" chat channel. i think it defaults to on when you're un-guilded and off when you're guilded. you can always leave a guild bu typing "/gquit", so if you want to try out a guild you're not locked into it forever or anything.
Old 10-14-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I just got to the first quest where I need to have a group so I didn't know if maybe I should start thinking about it..

By the way how do you quit a group?
Old 10-15-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you can right click on your character picture (next to your health bar) and select "leave party"

the quests labelled "group" (and not "dungeon") usually can be completed solo after you gain some more levels (so the quest shows up as "green" instead of yellow, orange or red text.
Also, there will often be other people in the zone who could help you (as they probably need help as well) with the group quests. you can type "/1 looking for group for quest-name" and see if anyone else is around looking to do the same quest right then
Old 10-16-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I learned that with the first one I got (the hogger one). But I've been slowly gettng into using groups for certain things now.
Old 05-04-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone here still playing and waiting for Cataclysm?
Old 05-04-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may try it depending on what else I am playing. I quit back just after BC so I don't know if I really want to fire it up again. I just don't want to go back to a subscription game again.
Old 05-04-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow totally forgot I was subscribed to this thread until now
Old 05-05-10, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Anyone here still playing and waiting for Cataclysm?
Not playing currently, but definitely looking forward to Cataclysm. I'll probably start playing like a month or so before the Expansion comes out. It sounds and looks amazing.
Old 05-05-10, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me and my wife still play. I still don't have a level 80 character (have a 77 and a 75 and several others that range from 24-40), she has 2 80's and a 78...LOL yeah I suck, of course she has about 1 1/2 years of more playing time. Anyway, I am half looking forward to Cataclysm, half not. The half that is looking forward to it wants to see the new areas like the Troll starting area (Troll Druid FTW), Goblins and Worgens. The part I'm not looking forward to is how they seem to be changing every class and removing stats like attack power or spell power. So, on my 75 rogue who is loaded down with attack power, he's going to become more ordinary like every other rogue now. Same with my 77 shadow priest and spell power. It should turn out okay, but I'll be damned if it doesn't turn my stomach a little bit thinking about it.

If anybody wants to add me as a friend or what not, I play Horde on Killrogg and Alliance on Shadow Council:

Killrogg:
Lantanador (75 Troll Rogue)
Gunshotgotme (40 Undead Warlock)
Leifrick (35 Blood Elf Hunter)
Magkick (24 Blood Elf Mage)

Shadow Council:
Talloween (77 Dwarf Priest)
Eazymode (25 Night Elf Hunter)
Old 05-05-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm still playing, got a 80 Shaman, Priest, Mage & Paladin, dual boxing a warrior and druid right now.

I wonder if that kind soul from Blizzard who reads this thread will find it in his heart to hand out a few beta invites again?
Old 05-05-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still playing. not raiding much anymore but i have 6 80s and a couple 40s (working on a 41 hunter now)

i'd love a beta invite if the beta gods see this thread
Old 05-05-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I let my account expire last summer. I'll probably get Cataclysm when it comes out.
Old 05-05-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I stopped last summer and it took forever for the cravings to go away. I am back on the 360 now and I will try and avoid the expansion because what I have seen lookes awesome, but I can not commit that much time to a game again. And I am definately a raider. I have 2 80s, a couple of 60s and 20-30s. I could not get the 2 60s to 80, I got too burned on leveling by myself.
Old 05-05-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I was blessed by the mystical Blizzard gods that read this thread. I logged into my Battle.net account and I am now downloading the Beta. I didn't even get an email yet or anything.

Thanks mysterious one.

Last edited by flashburn; 05-05-10 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-05-10, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a feeling a lot of guilds will end up having some trouble with Cataclysm in the same way that there was trouble when the raids went from 40 to 25. It's good for the greater pool, but a little sad that things are getting "easier" still.

And if you've got an extra beta invite, throw them out!
Old 05-06-10, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't played for awhile and would love a beta code if anyone has an extra. I would like to see how it is before I spend the money on it, and of course help with bug testing.
Old 05-06-10, 02:04 PM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

That's weird, since the beta hasn't started yet. They just started the friends and family alpha last week.

I quit a month or two ago. It's amazing how much free time I have now. Don't know if I will come back for Cataclysm or not. I think it looks really cool, but I know that if I come back, I'll totally get sucked in again. Cold turkey might be the best way to go.
Old 05-06-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
That's weird, since the beta hasn't started yet. They just started the friends and family alpha last week.
Friends and Family started this week, and it's labeled a Beta not an Alpha.
Old 05-06-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Friends and Family started this week, and it's labeled a Beta not an Alpha.
Yeah, it's kind of odd, it's labeled a Beta on Battle.net, but everywhere else (including the email I finally got) lists it as F&F Alpha.
Old 05-07-10, 09:37 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Ah gotcha. Yeah, all the websites are calling it the Alpha.
Old 05-09-10, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I decided to start playing again. I went to install off my CDs and it had me create a battle.net account, so I did. But when I go to put in my CD key, it says it has already been used (no doubt my old account - I think when it was Wow only??). Well, I can't remember a thing about my old account (name or password). I was trying to figure out what to do and somehow made the WoW installer download about 4.5GB. It was like it was installing a trial rather than just using the install I just did off the CDs. And now it is installing yet more updates.

Am I screwed and just need to buy another box?
Old 05-09-10, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, you just need to link up your WoW Account with your B.net account. I forgot exactly how to do this, but try logging into your previous WoW account on worldofwarcraft.com, there should be something there.

edit: Actually it's right on the "Manage your account" page on B.net: https://us.battle.net/account/manage...conversion.xml

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.