Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dead Rising for 360?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get it now, but just from a starter's perspective, wouldn't it be obvious that people would think that save and continue would continue in the game now whereas save and end would save your status and end your game, so you could start again at the same place the next time you play?

Anyway, what is the benefit of starting over again and keeping your stats willingly? When you do start over, can you just run through everything to get to the point you were at, or is it a good idea to repeat everything?
Old 12-06-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Like I said, it is to build your stats up. When you "level up" you get more health boxes, you can hold more items, and you up your speed while running. You also get more hand-to-hand fighting skills.

Starting over means you are more powerful from the [restarted]beginning which also means you will be more powerful towards the end and various boss battles.
Old 12-06-06, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried the demo of this and it seemed really boring and just...bleh.

Does the demo not do the game justice, or maybe it's an acquired taste?
Old 12-06-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by porieux
I tried the demo of this and it seemed really boring and just...bleh.

Does the demo not do the game justice, or maybe it's an acquired taste?
I don't think that the demo does the game justice. But it really depends upon personal tastes. The game's pacing is unrelenting. To solve the cases and rescue survivors you have to really hustle. But if you want to just solve the cases and get the true ending and unlock the overtime and infinity modes, then it is a more reasonable pace.

The shopping mall is expansive. Learning where everything is and the shortcuts, are a must. Whether or not it is boring really depends upon your desire to accomplish everything that can be accomplished via achievements.
Old 12-06-06, 09:45 PM
Banned

Yeah I played the demo that I downloaded off the Marketplace. BORING!
Old 12-07-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dead Rising is going to be boring to many people. It is single-minded fun, solely created for zombie fans wishing to experience Dawn of the Dead. A vast assortment of weapons to maim an innumerable amount of zombies, take pictures of, and laugh about when you're drunk. I have had a blast with the game, but I can see why people would be turned off by it(being it's a glorified version of State of Emergency), which is why I did not recommend it to a friend of mine.
Old 12-07-06, 03:37 AM

It must be a really crappy demo though, because there's no way the game can be THAT bad...and me and my GF actually like flicks like Dawn of the Dead a lot, so it was surprisingly disappointing. Maybe if I find it for really cheap someday I will give it a shot.
Old 12-07-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

the demo is NOT a good representation of the game at all. I would equate it to if GTA had a demo and limited you to one city block and no missions. You just get to run around killing shit. That's it. How fun or accurate would that representation be?

The game is pretty deep and and also takes MULTIPLE pass throughs to come close to attaining a lot of the achievements.
Old 12-07-06, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by KingSmoth
Dead Rising is going to be boring to many people. It is single-minded fun, solely created for zombie fans wishing to experience Dawn of the Dead. A vast assortment of weapons to maim an innumerable amount of zombies, take pictures of, and laugh about when you're drunk. I have had a blast with the game, but I can see why people would be turned off by it(being it's a glorified version of State of Emergency), which is why I did not recommend it to a friend of mine.
What I find interesting about your comments is I dislike zombie movies, I'm certainly not a zombie fan of any kind and I really don't ever get drunk. Yet Dead Rising is a fantastically fun game IMO. So I would say its appeal goes beyond the narrow scope you laid out.

The game does IMO, however, work best for a slightly different mindset of gamer. It has appeal for a more casual gamer who doesn't mind playing it through (its short) multiple times to try out new things. Who doesn't mind that you're supposed to play through multiple times and each time it gets easier as you're higher level, know more, etc.
Old 12-07-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So how long is this game typically? I thought that it was fairly long, but based on some of the comments, it seems that it might be short but with incentive to play a few times.
Old 12-07-06, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
So how long is this game typically? I thought that it was fairly long, but based on some of the comments, it seems that it might be short but with incentive to play a few times.
The game is on a timer so it will always last the same exact amount of time for everyone. You have three in-game days to play. I don't know what that translates to in real-time hours, but it is somewhere between 6-8 hours. The game will take a few playthroughs to do everything there is to do.

There are 5 or 6 different endings too. Getting the best ending in the normal game unlocks overtime mode which continues on into the 4th day. This gives you another hour or two to play as well.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 12-07-06 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-10-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I so want to get the 1000 points on this but those overtime modes seem like a hefty time investment for a few points. I haven't played it for a while and I'm at 800, but may get back into it soon. Does anyone here have 1000 points on this?

And, it took me a little while to actually get into this game, but once I got my self levelled up it became extremely enjoyable for me. Probably right up there as one of my fave 360 titles.
Old 12-10-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have 800 as well. Just haven't felt like going back to it with all the other new games and systems out. This is one I'm definitely keeping, so there will be plenty of time to go back to it.
Old 12-18-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
I was looking over the recent topic "Your Top Five Games -One Year Later" and noticed this game made the list by 75% of those responding. I was set on getting something like RS:LV since I've done all the single & coop modes in GOW. But it seems Dead Rising has a good following and a good fun factor as well. Should I really consider this game after all even above say COD2/3? I think I'll DL the demo off Live and see what all the fuss is about.

Kenny J.
Old 12-19-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Getting ready to start this game up soon. Looking forward to it.
Old 12-19-06, 10:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Should I really consider this game after all even above say COD2/3? I think I'll DL the demo off Live and see what all the fuss is about.
IMO, yes, Dead Rising is better than COD2/3. I never cared for WWII games though, so I guess I would be slightly biased against COD.

I have heard that COD2 (and maybe 3) has a very strong online gaming community, while Dead Rising has no online gaming at all. So if you care about online gaming, COD2 would probably be the better choice.

Also, just a fair warning, the demo for Dead Rising is not a fair representation of everything there is to do in the final game. The demo just has you killing zombies over and over and over again. The final game has much more freedom to do whatever you want to do, ie it is a sandbox type of game.
Old 12-19-06, 10:43 AM

very good game I'd rate way above CoD2, and a bit above CoD3. The fact it has no online support won't mean much to you. The game is fairly long to do everything, and has good replay
Old 12-19-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The gameplay is pretty fun in this game, but I didn't enjoy the non-linear part of it.
Old 12-19-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
I like COD2 and Dead Rising about equally (COD3, not so much). COD2's single player campaign has a great deal of intensity to it, Dead Rising's is more leisurely done (though there are some tough boss battles.) So you have to go with what you're in the mood for.
Old 12-20-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK so I'm going back to try to get the full 1000 on this. Going for the 50-save Saint achievement now and have an issue with the Above The Law scoop (fat lez cop assaulting the five hot chicks in the shoe store). I get the call from Otis, but when I get to the store there is only the one main girl there tied to the chair. I kill the cop but the other girls are not there. I check the notebook and it lists them as Dead. I go back to my save point get the call again and check the notebook first and they're already listed as Dead! WTF. I definitely need those four other chicks for the achievement, so I guess I have to start over now. Any idea why this happens? I can't seem to find anything about it on game sites except that it sometimes "just happens". Glitch maybe?
Old 12-20-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by matome
OK so I'm going back to try to get the full 1000 on this. Going for the 50-save Saint achievement now and have an issue with the Above The Law scoop (fat lez cop assaulting the five hot chicks in the shoe store). I get the call from Otis, but when I get to the store there is only the one main girl there tied to the chair. I kill the cop but the other girls are not there. I check the notebook and it lists them as Dead. I go back to my save point get the call again and check the notebook first and they're already listed as Dead! WTF. I definitely need those four other chicks for the achievement, so I guess I have to start over now. Any idea why this happens? I can't seem to find anything about it on game sites except that it sometimes "just happens". Glitch maybe?
You can only have 8 open scoops(well characters) at once. If you have any other characters alive in the mall that you haven't gotten to when you enter the cop scoop, it will affect how many girls are there. Sounds like you still have a few open.

I'm not sure if 'when' you enter the store affects the total number or if it is when the call is made. Someone else might know better.
Old 12-20-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm...you may be right there. I think I had the Crislip Hardware guy's hostages still locked in the empty room, as I didn't have time to rescue them and another scoop at the same time (plus the twins in the toy store popped up at the same time, IIRC). I think you had mentioned you had 800 points on this. Did you happen to get the Saint achievement?
Old 12-20-06, 12:42 PM
Banned

Yes there can only be a maximum of 8 survivors out in the mall at any one time. I had the same problem during my first game. I killed the psychopath with a machete in the hardware store, but I didn't know he had hostages in another room. These hostages never died, since I had already killed Cliff, so they were always there taking up part of my 8 maximum. I never got the fat cop scoop or the theater scoop because of that.

There is a set time that Otis is supposed to call you about each scoop. I don't remember what time he is supposed to call you about the fat cop scoop, but let's just assume it is at 10am on the second day. Lets assume you have 6 survivors out in the mall needing to be rescued. The fat cop and her hostages won't spawn because they would take you above the 8 maximum.

Now, lets assume you go and save a few survivors, and you open enough slots that the fat cop scoop can spawn at around 1pm. Otis now calls you about the scoop, but it does not start fresh at the beginning. Every scoop has a time limit. Lets assume the time limit for the fat cop scoop is 4 hours. If it was supposed to start at 10am, that gives you until 2pm to save the hostages. Getting the call late at 1pm does not change this. You do not have 4 hours from when you got the call at 1pm to save them. You still have until 2pm to save them.

The fat cop scoop is a little different from other scoops because the fat cop walks around beating the hostages. Each hostage takes a little damage from each beating. In other scoops, hostages do not take damage or die until the time limit runs out completely. In the fat cop scoop, it is possible that a hostage can die long before the time limit runs out. For example, if you get there around noon, two of the hostages may already have been beaten to death and the others will have damage to their life meters. You are evidently getting there so late that every hostage except for one has been beaten to death. It doesn't matter if you got the call from Otis, as the beatings still go on "behind the scenes." The fat cop starts beating the hostages at 10am regardless of whether you get the call from Otis or not.
Old 12-20-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have not attempted the Saint Achievement yet.

I believe the fat cop scoop is at noon(third day I think) and you cannot be in Wonderland at that time.
Old 12-20-06, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
...and you cannot be in Wonderland at that time.
Yes, in order for the survivors to spawn and to get the call from Otis, you cannot be in the plaza where they will spawn to. This is true for any scoop.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.