Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by PixyJunket
The way I read the interview was that there was no direct kill to win mode. Maybe I misread. But I agree, 99% of this game has got to be the single player game, but from day one I've been interested in what they were going to do to make the multiplayer unique. Also, lock-on doesn't mean instant boredom.. your opponent will be moving, lock-on will not be 100%, plus morph ball, grapple beam, etc.
From IGN's Roundtable
For the E3 demo we've shown you two game types: the standard deathmatch and a multiplayer game we're calling Bounty Mode.
Old 05-14-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by flashburn
I honestly could care less about multiplayer, as I think with the ability to lock on, it will make for some uninteresting boredom
Straight from GameSpot hands-on impressions :
On paper, the thought of a competitive first-person shooter with easy-to-use lock-on capabilities sounds like a really terrible idea. Part of the skill set that makes first-person shooters fun in a competitive environment is having to aim and time your shots just right to hit your enemies. Metroid Prime 2 dodges a bullet here, because from what we've seen so far, the game is still fun even with the ability to lock-on. The map on display has plenty of cover to hide behind, and even plain old strafing is enough to dodge a great deal of incoming fire. Missiles seem to do a better job of hitting your targets, but you're limited on missile ammo. Rolling up into a ball and dropping bombs near an ongoing battle is also a nice tactic, as players don't tend to notice the bombs until it's too late.
I knew Retro wouldn't let us down!
Old 05-14-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
I definately have the interest but it is a sequel so we know what to expect and there haven't been a great deal of details that have been released. So interest is high we just know what to expect more then Zelda or the DS.
Old 05-14-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought there'd be more love for Prime 2 around here.
I'm showing the love! As far as console games go, this and Zelda are the only one's I'm looking forward to this year. Maybe that Final Fantasy-ized LOTR game too, depends on how it turns out.
Old 05-14-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by darqleo
I'm showing the love! As far as console games go, this and Zelda are the only one's I'm looking forward to this year. Maybe that Final Fantasy-ized LOTR game too, depends on how it turns out.
Well Metroid is coming out this year, but I don't think Zelda will come out until next year. However don't forget about Resident Evil 4 coming later this year as well.
Old 05-14-04, 03:39 PM
Retired

Originally posted by CreatureX
Well Metroid is coming out this year, but I don't think Zelda will come out until next year. However don't forget about Resident Evil 4 coming later this year as well.
No, I just read on www.1up.com that Zelda will be playable at E3 2005, so it looks like that will be a late summer or fall 2005 release.
Old 05-14-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought there'd be more love for Prime 2 around here.
Definitely excited about this game, I think it just got overshadowed by Zelda at E3. But the Zelda news is gonna die down since it won't be out for a while and Metroid Prime will get more love now as it gets closer to release.

Very interested to see how the multiplayer turns out, and it sounds like they have some good ideas to enhance the single player game that was near perfect already.
Old 05-14-04, 08:13 PM

I'm taking that infernal week off in Nov. when RE4 and Echoes come out. I took a week off for Prime and Windwaker, I owe both of these games my undivided attention (my wife uses the widescreen HDTV at night and a whole week off of would give me hours of progressive scan heaven).

The new dark/light beam looks awesome in motion and the whole ammo consumption aspect adds depth (with a hint of Ikaruga). I'm dying to see what the new visor will look like.

As far as the multiplayer goes I think of it as an added bonus. The hacking visor idea is cool and the grapple/shoot will be fun to mess around with. Metroid Prime Hunters sounds more like an intriguing multiplayer experience to me. Great E3 though.
Old 05-19-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has Nintendo said anything regarding LAN play?
Old 05-19-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't recall.. but as of now I'm going to try not to read too much or watch any more videos for the game. I know it's going to kick ass, and I want any and all elements I already don't know about to take me by surprise.
Old 05-19-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Has Nintendo said anything regarding LAN play?
I read an interview over at IGN where they said there would be no LAN play.
Old 06-16-04, 10:19 PM

On a related note, Miyamoto has said Metroid Prime: Hunters will now include the (in)ability to use the touch screen. You can use the buttons or the touch-screen for firing. I thought the screen idea was cool but I can see how it might get akward.

BTW, IGN's video footage of the screw attack, morphball cannon and Space Pirate hovercraft looks goooood. Can't wait. Two Metroids by years end.
Old 06-20-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
Yet I still haven't finished the first one....
Old 06-20-04, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by nickdawgy
Yet I still haven't finished the first one....
Me neither, but that's ok cause I'm sure I'll buy the second one and not beat that.
Old 06-20-04, 06:06 PM

Location: B.A. classical instruments with snails, ants, and person(me)

I could see an online Metroid.

"Good game!"
"Eat my shit asshat! I'm so high right now!"

"Samus is so hot I'm jacking off to her right now!"
Old 06-21-04, 11:59 AM

I just started playing Prime again, after a year or so hiatus. Thankfully I've forgotten most of the secrets and surprises. It is a DAMN good game, I can't wait for the sequel.

I know Halo 2 will get most of the love because of live, but come November I'll be sitting down with Prime2 first.
Old 06-21-04, 08:20 PM

Looks awesome, can't wait! Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games of all time. It had the whole package, great gameplay, music, enemies, and the whole world was so diverse.

I still remember the first time I got to the Phendrana Drifts, my jaw dropped in awe.
Old 06-21-04, 11:24 PM

just replayed Prime, and while I got through it a lot quicker the second time (9 hours as opposed to 16) and didn't struggle nearly as much with the bosses (Elite Pirate and Ridley) I still found it to be amazing. It's one of those great games, a lot like Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast for the Xbox/PC where your character gets so exponentially stronger as the game progresses it makes it more and more fun to play. Having replayed Wind Waker the week before (can you tell me the E4 footage got me a bit pumped) I think Prime's the best GC game out there, and Echoes sounds even better..
Old 06-22-04, 09:48 AM
Retired

Originally posted by jeffdsmith

I know Halo 2 will get most of the love because of live, but come November I'll be sitting down with Prime2 first.
Same here. I probably won't even buy Halo 2 right away as I just won't have time for it with school, Prime 2, the LOTR rpg, Paper Mario 2, etc.

I liked Halo a lot, but not enough to make it my primary game this fall. I'm not big on FPS's, and Prime didn't really feel like an FPS with the lock on, scanning and emphasis on exploration. Nintendo's "First Person Adventure" moniker fit well I thought.
Old 07-01-04, 08:51 PM

A Metroid Prime GCN Bundle is coming according to IGN. No pics and it doesn't say if it's new paint for the cube but it is going to have an Echoes demo. No word on if demo will be availiable solo either. Neeed.
Old 08-04-04, 10:39 AM

Yup, the bundle is coming Aug 15th and will include a platinum GCN, Metroid Prime and a Metroid Prime II: Echoes demo. The demo has a playable level and a History of Metroid feature. I already reserved my demo at Nintendo.com. If you are an Nsider and have a GCN and five games registered the demo is free. I just confirmed my copy and it's supposed to ship Aug. 20th. I'm stoked.

Last edited by jediwicz; 08-04-04 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-04-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is the info on the disk and how to score one!

http://www.nintendopower.com/metroidprime2/

The disk contains:

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes playable demo
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes movie trailers
Metroid art gallery
The Metroid Chronicle

Three ways to score this disk:

1. $99.99 Nintendo GC Metroid Prime Bundle (includes platinum GC, Metroid Prime (original), Metroid Prime 2 Demo disk)

2. Subscribe to or renew an existing subscription to Nintendo Power magazine.

3. Register at Nintendo.com and then register a GameCube system and five or more selected games listed on the website.

http://www.nintendopower.com/metroidprime2/

Looks like I need one more registered game to qualify for this...

Last edited by CreatureX; 08-04-04 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-04-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

*screams*
Old 08-04-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool box for the bundle...

Click for bigger pic
Old 08-04-04, 11:33 AM

Argh! I want that demom disk but I don't own the games that you need to register. So what if I have a ton of other Gamecube games, they obviously don't count .

BTW- That box rules.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.