Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-04, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Nintendo has their E3 preview up on the official site. Hmm...Echoes. Game Informer was speculating on a sound visor. Sounds like it might be reality. The Ing. A light/dark world and multiplayer. Prime is still my favorite GCN game and Prime 2 is looking just as good. Can't wait.
Old 04-24-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Hmm, that reminds me. I still have to finish Metroid Prime.
Old 04-24-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
¿
Old 04-24-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

maybe it's about samus's early carrier in the navy where she was a sonar operator?
Old 04-24-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice!
Old 04-24-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I never did beat the first one. I should go back and do that.
Old 04-25-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would love to finish the first one, but I got to a point that it was kicking my ass and I gave up.
Old 04-25-04, 04:50 PM

Omega Pirate gave me a problem but I finished 100%. I still go back and explore (I leave the crater and just go). Somehow I always end up in Phendrana (on the highest ledge) enjoying the view in progressive scan on a widescreen HDTV with a Wavebird in hand. Echoes has a lot to live up to.
Old 04-25-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I'm stuck on Omega Pirate. That sounds very familiar. I remember having to switch to xray vision to see some weak points and there are puddles of health-draining ooze around.

I was really really loving this game. Then I hit a brick wall. Initially, the control scheme drove me nuts, but I got used to it. IIRC, the awkward controls really made this part difficult.
Old 04-25-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gromit
I think I'm stuck on Omega Pirate. That sounds very familiar. I remember having to switch to xray vision to see some weak points and there are puddles of health-draining ooze around.

I was really really loving this game. Then I hit a brick wall. Initially, the control scheme drove me nuts, but I got used to it. IIRC, the awkward controls really made this part difficult.
i was stuck on this part too for the longest time, but i finally beat it. wow, that was a tough bastard.

the multiplayer should be AWSESOME. I can't wait to use the ice beam on someone
Old 04-25-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like we're reminiscing about the Metroid Prime. During my first play-through I was very annoyed when I reached the portion where you had to have all the artifacts and I only had about 3 of them. I swear I didn't know from the beginning of my play-through that I would need those artifacts. At least the game gave clear hints on where the artifacts were located.

Looking forward to the next in the series.
Old 04-25-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
MP could not have been better. It was one of the few games that I had high expectations for and they were meet and highly succeeded. I really expected it to be at least half as long. I cannot wait for the Second one.
Old 04-25-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see how multipayer could be very good with the current Metroid Prime control scheme. The levels would all have to be flat as moving and looking up and down can't happen, and you locked on to all enemies. Two people would lock on to each other and it would be who could shoot fastest? That doesn't sound fun.

The only way I could see it working would be if it was goal based instead of kills, but I don't see that being very fun either.

BTW, I loved Prime and can't wait for 2. I just don't get the multiplayer yet. Hope it's playable when I'm at E3.
Old 04-25-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Not necessarily. If someone locks on to you you could roll into a ball and dash or try and hide behind something. You can still look around as well.
Old 04-26-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I shall give some thoughts now.

Now, right off I want to shoot off strings of vulgar words at the inclusion of multiplayer.. BUUUT, Nintendo has a history of making me put my foot in my mouth, so I'll hold off until I get to try it.. though I will say that unless they find something unique to do with it (ie: Zelda Four Swords) this will lower Metroid Prime into a typical FPS, which is what they tried SOOO hard (and accomplished) to prove that it wasn't with the first game.

I do like the idea of light/dark world. I like the idea of using sound as an important factor of the game, I thought having the hidden items in Prime 1 emit a humming sound to clue in their exsistance was just BRILLIANT.. and I'd love to see sound taken to further use in the game. I do hope Metroids play some part in the game, and I hope they are little pansies like in Prime 1. Metroid Zero Mission showed us how Metroids SHOULD be.

The controls for Prime were PERFECT, and I hope they remain unchanged or tweaked as opposed to totally changed to cater to the FPS kids (which seems like the sole reason for inclusion of multi-player).

I would also like to see the title simply be Metroid Echoes. That sounds classy.
Old 04-26-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have complete faith in Retro Stuidos that they will handle multiplayer perfectly. I was one of the doubters when I first heard Metroid Prime was going to be a first person adventure. However Retro pulled off the first person perspective perfectly and delivered, IMO, the greatest Metroid game since Super Metroid. Retro Studios have earned my faith!
Old 04-26-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CreatureX
I have complete faith in Retro Stuidos that they will handle multiplayer perfectly. I was one of the doubters when I first heard Metroid Prime was going to be a first person adventure. However Retro pulled off the first person perspective perfectly and delivered, IMO, the greatest Metroid game since Super Metroid. Retro Studios have earned my faith!
Oh trust me.. I spewed more blind hateful venom against Prime than every single member of this forum combined. I ate my crow and it was very tasty. Metroid Prime is almost fully responsible for getting me BACK into video games. I have all the faith in the world for them. However, that doesn't let them off the hook that it appears, for all intents and purposes, that adding multiplayer is simply to please the little brats that would say something like "(insert generic FPS title here) is much better than Metroid Prime!!" when Metroid was never meant to be a typical FPS. Again, I state that I'd love to see something unique come from the multiplayer game, and if anybody can do it, Nintendo and Retro can. It's really just that same fear I had when Prime was first announced that it would be a generic FPS game and be nothing like Metroid. I was proved wrong once and I challenge them to prove me wrong this time as well.
Old 04-26-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
You know I never noticed that humming.
Old 04-26-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll be getting Metroid Prime 2 for it's single player mode. Regardless of how the multiplayer turns out, the single player will be awesome if it's anything like MP1. If the multiplayer is good, then it's a pleasant surprise. If not, then oh well. I don't expect Retro and Nintendo to sacrifice the story and gameplay of the single player mode just to add some multi.
Old 04-26-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the most bad ass Metroid wallpaper I've ever seen:
http://www.grant-henry.com/metroid_w...roidprime2.jpg
Old 04-26-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Here's the most bad ass Metroid wallpaper I've ever seen:
http://www.grant-henry.com/metroid_w...roidprime2.jpg
WHOA!!!
Old 04-26-04, 06:30 PM

lets hope that the retro people don't make the same mistake the UbiSoft people did with Splinter Cell: Pandora's Tomorrow, and that is focus so much on the multiplayer game that the single player game is terrible compared to the first one.

Splinter cell went from 9 to 6 levels, and the level of difficulty dropped exponentially so it could be finished in one sitting. The first game took some real effort to complete.

I think with no on line support, 95% of people will be buying Prime for the single player game. Therefore the single player game better be at least as good as the original (which is one of my top 5 games EVER) no matter how good the multiplayer game is for me to be really happy with it.
Old 04-26-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Metroid Prime was frickin' awesome. Hopefully the multiplayer aspect is just a footnote as I don't care about that stuff. I just want more of the same, but with a different world to explore.
Old 04-27-04, 12:40 PM
Retired

Originally posted by darqleo
Metroid Prime was frickin' awesome. Hopefully the multiplayer aspect is just a footnote as I don't care about that stuff.
Same here.

I don't see how a traditional deathmatch would work with the autoaim scheme of the first game, and I loved that control set up and would likely pass on the second if it had the "halo" type control as the c-stick on the GC controller is useless as a control stick.
Old 04-27-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I loved that control set up and would likely pass on the second if it had the "halo" type control as the c-stick on the GC controller is useless as a control stick.
It shouldn't be required, but it should be an option.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.