Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Old 03-02-23, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Some pretty good space battles in this. Riker taking command of the Titan was pretty cool. Frakes just has that gravitas as a leader.

at Vadic just chilling in her ship, smoking and then saying...."Again" Sure she's a little over the top, but what space baddie isn't?

The flashback scene with Will and Jean-Luc looked a little odd. I couldn't tell if Stewart and Frakes were just made up to look a little younger or if it was an attempt to de-age them.

Worf definitely made the Raffi segments more interesting. Hopefully he gets reunited with Picard and Riker.

Raffi to Worf: "You look like you're dressed for a Tuesday beheading"

Worf: "Our beheadings are Wednesday"
Old 03-02-23, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Originally Posted by Deftones
Picard being so adamant about staying to fight seemed out of character. He would fight if he had to, but he also knew when to get away.

Too bad we never got a Riker show. He is the best part of this by a country mile.
Beverly telling Picard she didn't want him to know about their son because he would always be in danger because of attempts on Picard's life, yet she takes her son along on high risk missions smuggling medicines to non Federation colonies on a ship ill-equipped to deal with any real danger.
The following 2 users liked this post by movieguru:
lisadoris (03-06-23), Thos19 (03-03-23)
Old 03-02-23, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

It's a shame that Rene isn't here anymore to reprise his role as Odo.
Old 03-02-23, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Yeah the de-aging scene was weird because Picard was still speaking slow like he’s 90. Reminded me of the de-aging in The Irishman - the process doesn’t hide the actor moving and talking like an old man.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (03-02-23)
Old 03-02-23, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Beverly telling Picard she didn't want him to know about their son because he would always be in danger because of attempts on Picard's life, yet she takes her son along on high risk missions smuggling medicines to non Federation colonies on a ship ill-equipped to deal with any real danger.
Yeah, I was thinking Beverly Crusher's logic made no sense, especially when factoring in that Jean-Luc has been living quietly and peacefully on the Picard family vineyard for maybe a decade or so. That's a completely safe place for their son, unlike her dangerous medical smuggling operations, including some outside federation space.
Old 03-02-23, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

If any of you have any interest in the behind the scenes aspect, watch this week’s The Ready Room, on the P+ app. They talk about the design of the new Titan and interview the production crew. Mike Okuda, who is a Star Trek historian and graphic designer is also interviewed.

Frakes who also directed the episode is interviewed by Wil Wheaton. But I know most of you think Wheaton is an annoying Star Trek shill
Old 03-02-23, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
If any of you have any interest in the behind the scenes aspect, watch this week’s The Ready Room, on the P+ app. They talk about the design of the new Titan and interview the production crew. Mike Okuda, who is a Star Trek historian and graphic designer is also interviewed.

Frakes who also directed the episode is interviewed by Wil Wheaton. But I know most of you think Wheaton is an annoying Star Trek shill
I'm confused about the Titan. Is it the same ship that Riker had just majorly refitted or is it an entirely different ship. Rike seems to imply that it is the same ship and Captain Shaw saying that he had to go through the trouble of deleting Riker's jazz music also seems to suggest it's the same ship. When the refitted the original Enterprise, they didn't add the "A" to it. When they went with the Enterprise A, it was different ship.

Watching the credits from episode 3, it appears that the original Voyager is at the star base museum as well as the Enterprise A and the original Excelsior.
Old 03-02-23, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Worf stuff was cool. Definitely injected life into the Raffi scenes. I liked seeing them bring in the Changelings and Worf's oblique reference to Odo.

I liked the scene between Picard and Crusher but like others have pointed out, smuggling not exactly the safest career path.

Did everyone forget how to be a Starfleet officer? From Shaw's line about getting weird shit thrown at him to the injured crewman blaming Jack. Also Riker at the end with "You've killed us all." After everything they've been through. I understand they're injecting conflict but seems way out of character.
Old 03-02-23, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found it funny that Picard questioned Beverly about their son having a British accent, but never once questioned why Counselor Troi had a British accent when she was from Betazed. He never wondered why so many aliens had British accents either.
Old 03-02-23, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Beverly says something like she thought she could handle that life style issues with people coming at/after them. But a Picard level bad guy she knew she couldn't handle. But yea either way the rationale for any of it is kinda lame. But no biggie I guess.
Old 03-02-23, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Beverly says something like she thought she could handle that life style issues with people coming at/after them. But a Picard level bad guy she knew she couldn't handle. But yea either way the rationale for any of it is kinda lame. But no biggie I guess.
That, and she was on a starship with Picard for fifteen years, some of them with her other son in tow. She wasn't concerned for her other son then even though just about any danger Picard got into on the ship would have dangerous for Wesley as well.
Old 03-02-23, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
I really enjoyed the premiere. It felt like the start of the sequel we've been waiting for. Part of that might be due to the many nostalgic echos of movies past like Wrath of Khan with the inspection or Search For Spock with the pompous Captain of the Excelsior. Jerry Goldsmith's music is such a thing of beauty and also stirs up wonderful memories. His theme for First Contact never fails to give me the feels.
I absolutely love the First Contact theme. The only thing I don't like about it here is that it's transition between it and the Picard theme is rather jarring. It's like someone used Winamp to combine the two without any kind of transition.
Old 03-03-23, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by philo;[url=tel:14242123
14242123[/url]]Also Riker at the end with "You've killed us all." After everything they've been through. I understand they're injecting conflict but seems way out of character.
I agree certainly with the Riker bit. Feels like a swerve? Or just bad writing

Still. This is leagues better than anything in the first two seasons.
tanman (03-05-23)
Old 03-04-23, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by planetaire

I'm 99% convinced Riker is a Changeling; his treatment of Picard was way out of character.
Deftones (03-04-23)
Old 03-04-23, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I'm 99% convinced Riker is a Changeling; his treatment of Picard was way out of character.
Would explain why Deanna is nowhere to be seen. Having her husband replacecd by a Changeling is probably something she could easily pick up on.
Old 03-04-23, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by planetaire

Well, to be fair to Will, it’s not really Jean-Luc Picard.
Old 03-04-23, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

They should be able to disable their own torpedos with a push of a button.
Old 03-04-23, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

My guess is that it's Beverly (unless there is more than 1). Picard and Riker were together when the changeling was beating up on Jack. I feel like the whole get off the bridge thing was an excuse to get Picard to go figure out who the changeling is.
Old 03-04-23, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
Did everyone forget how to be a Starfleet officer? From Shaw's line about getting weird shit thrown at him to the injured crewman blaming Jack. Also Riker at the end with "You've killed us all." After everything they've been through. I understand they're injecting conflict but seems way out of character.
"Insubordination" is practically a nuTrek calling card. Immature snarky smartasses always know best in nuTrek.
Old 03-05-23, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 03-05-23, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The whole thing with the changeling doesn't really make sense, at least yet. How would the changeling know that Picard and Riker were going to go on the Titan and take it to that nebula for it to replace one of their crewmen? If they can take the shape of any human they so choose, why not just take over Shaw instead. Shaw could easily just not order shields up or make any defensive of offensive moves when the Shriek showed up. Vadic could have not acted hostile to begin with and worked with the changeling/Shaw to get what they wanted very easily. Unless of course she intentionally just wants to play games with them and not end everything very quickly.
Old 03-05-23, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
The whole thing with the changeling doesn't really make sense, at least yet. How would the changeling know that Picard and Riker were going to go on the Titan and take it to that nebula for it to replace one of their crewmen? If they can take the shape of any human they so choose, why not just take over Shaw instead. Shaw could easily just not order shields up or make any defensive of offensive moves when the Shriek showed up. Vadic could have not acted hostile to begin with and worked with the changeling/Shaw to get what they wanted very easily. Unless of course she intentionally just wants to play games with them and not end everything very quickly.
She's not after Picard/Riker, she's after the son. This is another reason I think it's Beverly. Plus it would be a lot harder to take the shape (would have to get rid of the real Shaw too), and have the same mannerisms of Shaw since a lot of the crew are probably used to him.
Old 03-05-23, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
She's not after Picard/Riker, she's after the son. This is another reason I think it's Beverly. Plus it would be a lot harder to take the shape (would have to get rid of the real Shaw too), and have the same mannerisms of Shaw since a lot of the crew are probably used to him.
That's the point. If she's after the son, she really wouldn't have any foreknowledge that Picard and Riker were going to try and trick Shaw into heading towards the nebula. She would have had to place the changeling on the Titan well before Picard and Riker boarded the ship. we can see the facial expression of the crewman the moment Picard got on board the ship, so the changeling was already there.

The crewman, whatever rank he was, would still have interacted with other members of his crew and they would have noticed that his mannerisms were off as well. They may not have noticed as easily as shaw, but the crewman's job would likely have been more technical than just giving out orders. He would have needed to know how to convincingly know how to do the job of whom they were impersonating or they wouldn't have lasted very long at all. Impersonating Shaw would have been easier since his job was less technical.
Old 03-05-23, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Why don't they have scanners to detect changelings?

Why don't they have a feature to disable YOUR own torpedos?

Old 03-05-23, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
A changeling replaced Dr. Bashir on Deep Space Nine for over a month, and nobody was the wiser until the real Bashir escaped from a Dominion prison. So they are very good at impersonating people and their skill sets.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.