Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-22, 12:57 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

As long as the new judge also worships Mel Torme, I'm all in.
I mean, you have to keep things hip and cool, for the tik-tok generation.
Old 12-18-22, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts
re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Why would Dan Fielding still be stuck in Night Court after all these years?
On the previews,it looks like Raunch's character is going to his apartment to coax him back into night Court, so he may not still be there at least the beginning of the new show.
Old 12-18-22, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts

Saw the commercial on SNL. Looks cheap and terrible. A bunch of lame physical comedy like people getting drinks thrown in their faces every scene. Don't get much of sense about the new characters, which is where this will live and die.
Old 12-18-22, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Saw the commercial on SNL. Looks cheap and terrible. A bunch of lame physical comedy like people getting drinks thrown in their faces every scene. Don't get much of sense about the new characters, which is where this will live and die.
The one woman looks like she's a modern version of the Roz character played by Marsha Warfield.
Old 12-18-22, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,039 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
On the previews,it looks like Raunch's character is going to his apartment to coax him back into night Court, so he may not still be there at least the beginning of the new show.
Yeah, that's what I got from it. Dan may have been a very successful trial lawyer all these years - pissing many people off in the process.
Old 12-19-22, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 402 Likes on 285 Posts

Looks good to me. Night Court was a courtroom sitcom with an edge, fast wit and occasional emotional moments. I’m not sure how you guys remember it. But I rewatched it recently. I’d put it on par with Taxi, 30 Rock, and similar standout 30 minute comedies.
Old 12-19-22, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,263 Likes on 900 Posts

Weird to hear her speak without the Bernadette voice.

Not sure WTF they are talking about that Dan hasn't seen Abby in 35 years. 35 years ago was the late 80s, and Harry did not have a daughter. I guess they are ret-conning. Maybe Abby Stone grew up in NYC with Egon Spengler's secret daughter.
Old 12-19-22, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Not sure WTF they are talking about that Dan hasn't seen Abby in 35 years. 35 years ago was the late 80s, and Harry did not have a daughter. I guess they are ret-conning. Maybe Abby Stone grew up in NYC with Egon Spengler's secret daughter.
Based on what he said about Abby last seeing him 35 years ago and what time has done to him - that would mean she was a kid and not an infant then (as she wouldn't remember Dan as an infant)... so Rauch is basically playing her age of around 42. That means Harry had a kid in 1980 or 1981. And since Abby and Dan met when she was a kid, that rules out Harry fathering a child he knew nothing about. So this would be a huge retcon. Curious to know how they're going to explain this.
Old 12-19-22, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They're probably just assuming that nobody is going to do a lot of math to make the ages work.
Old 12-20-22, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 321 Likes on 205 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

The greatest con Harry the Hat ever pulled was the 'ol "judge's secret daughter" scheme.
Old 12-20-22, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

I want to know how Harry has a daughter who isn't named Melanie.
Old 12-20-22, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Huh. Might at least give it a chance. Love the original.
Old 12-20-22, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
Based on what he said about Abby last seeing him 35 years ago and what time has done to him - that would mean she was a kid and not an infant then (as she wouldn't remember Dan as an infant)... so Rauch is basically playing her age of around 42. That means Harry had a kid in 1980 or 1981. And since Abby and Dan met when she was a kid, that rules out Harry fathering a child he knew nothing about. So this would be a huge retcon. Curious to know how they're going to explain this.
Or it could take place a few years in the future and not present day. When we watched Night Court we assumed it was taking place in real time from 1984-1992, but perhaps time on the show was more compressed and while the show ended in 1992 our time, it could have been 1980 something. It's a stretch, but possible unless they mentioned specific years in any of the episodes.
Old 12-20-22, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They're probably just assuming that nobody is going to do a lot of math to make the ages work.
It's worked many times over in soap operas and sitcoms where the infant ages 3-4 years in between seasons.
Old 12-20-22, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, that's what I got from it. Dan may have been a very successful trial lawyer all these years - pissing many people off in the process.

I feel like they'll portray Dan as a grumpy older man now and no longer the sex addict type character he was in the previous series. He may now be disgusted with any present day person that behaves like he did and may have no interest in women and prefer to be left alone now.
Old 12-20-22, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My biggest question is will Bull still be on Jupiter helping the aliens reach stuff on the top shelves or will he be back on Earth.
Old 12-20-22, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru
I feel like they'll portray Dan as a grumpy older man now and no longer the sex addict type character he was in the previous series. He may now be disgusted with any present day person that behaves like he did and may have no interest in women and prefer to be left alone now.
Yeah, well John/Dan is 75 years old - keeping him as a sex addict doesn't fit at that age. Plus in 2022, it doesn't come off as funny as it did in the 80s. We also have to remember that the last couple seasons of the show, Dan lost some of his perverseness. I agree - he'll be mostly a grumpy old man who probably alienated himself later on his career.
Old 12-20-22, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, well John/Dan is 75 years old - keeping him as a sex addict doesn't fit at that age. Plus in 2022, it doesn't come off as funny as it did in the 80s. We also have to remember that the last couple seasons of the show, Dan lost some of his perverseness. I agree - he'll be mostly a grumpy old man who probably alienated himself later on his career.
Too bad. John won all those Emmys playing a lusty lech so well.
Old 12-20-22, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think this will happen, but Bob (Brent Spiner) and June (Annie O'Donnell) Wheeler should make a appearance on the show.

Old 12-21-22, 02:40 PM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Totally agree. I almost thought it was an SNL skit parodying another 80's sitcom nostalgia ripoff but it actually is that.
With most of the original cast dead I don't know why they even bothered trying to link it to the original show. John Larroquette must need the money badly. He looks completely wasted in the preview.

This looks like a very bad misfire, kinda like when they tried to reboot Murphy Brown. What did that last? Eight episodes?
Old 12-22-22, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Or Harry dated a woman, they broke up, the woman found out she was pregnant and didn't tell him until years later. Like maybe she dies and Harry finds out he has a kid. It happens. It's a bit... much for a sitcom tone, but almost everyone from the original show is dead, so what are you gonna do!?
Old 12-22-22, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got it.
It was the 1980s, so Harry considered his female court clerk to be his sexual plaything. He was constantly subjecting Lana to unwanted sexual advances and harassment, which is why she always appeared so frazzled and nervous.
Harry raped her, which is why she disappeared from the court with no explanation, and she got pregnant.

Harry never acknowledged his daughter, but Dan Fielding knew what happened, and helped Lana with financial assistance for years.
Of course Dan had to do this all in secret, lest he incur Harry's wrath and have his career ruined by a vindictive judge.

So actually, seemingly good guy Harry was a rapist and deadbeat dad, while Dan was deep down a good man dedicated to helping Harry's victim.

Old 12-22-22, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts

Will they bring Ellen Foley back at least?
Old 12-22-22, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ben12
Or Harry dated a woman, they broke up, the woman found out she was pregnant and didn't tell him until years later. Like maybe she dies and Harry finds out he has a kid. It happens. It's a bit... much for a sitcom tone, but almost everyone from the original show is dead, so what are you gonna do!?
The problem is that Harry's kid last saw Dan 35 years ago - which was around 1987... during the shows run. That means Harry knew about the kid during the shows timeline - but we never witnessed this revelation during the series. Unless this new show is set in 2027 or later, this doesn't jive with the original show.
Old 12-22-22, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,254 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku

I've got it.
It was the 1980s, so Harry considered his female court clerk to be his sexual plaything. He was constantly subjecting Lana to unwanted sexual advances and harassment, which is why she always appeared so frazzled and nervous.
Harry raped her, which is why she disappeared from the court with no explanation, and she got pregnant.

Harry never acknowledged his daughter, but Dan Fielding knew what happened, and helped Lana with financial assistance for years.
Of course Dan had to do this all in secret, lest he incur Harry's wrath and have his career ruined by a vindictive judge.

So actually, seemingly good guy Harry was a rapist and deadbeat dad, while Dan was deep down a good man dedicated to helping Harry's victim.
That’s as funny as anything else I’ve seen from this show so far. I say go with it!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.