Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Old 12-18-22, 01:57 PM
  #76  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 634
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

As long as the new judge also worships Mel Torme, I'm all in.
I mean, you have to keep things hip and cool, for the tik-tok generation.
Old 12-18-22, 02:21 PM
  #77  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,193
Received 187 Likes on 146 Posts
re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
Why would Dan Fielding still be stuck in Night Court after all these years?
On the previews,it looks like Raunch's character is going to his apartment to coax him back into night Court, so he may not still be there at least the beginning of the new show.
Old 12-18-22, 02:25 PM
  #78  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 40,343
Received 1,752 Likes on 1,249 Posts
re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Saw the commercial on SNL. Looks cheap and terrible. A bunch of lame physical comedy like people getting drinks thrown in their faces every scene. Don't get much of sense about the new characters, which is where this will live and die.
Old 12-18-22, 04:17 PM
  #79  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,193
Received 187 Likes on 146 Posts
re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Saw the commercial on SNL. Looks cheap and terrible. A bunch of lame physical comedy like people getting drinks thrown in their faces every scene. Don't get much of sense about the new characters, which is where this will live and die.
The one woman looks like she's a modern version of the Roz character played by Marsha Warfield.
Old 12-18-22, 04:58 PM
  #80  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 15,797
Received 506 Likes on 353 Posts
re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
On the previews,it looks like Raunch's character is going to his apartment to coax him back into night Court, so he may not still be there at least the beginning of the new show.
Yeah, that's what I got from it. Dan may have been a very successful trial lawyer all these years - pissing many people off in the process.
Old 12-19-22, 11:34 AM
  #81  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 24,619
Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts
re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Looks good to me. Night Court was a courtroom sitcom with an edge, fast wit and occasional emotional moments. Iím not sure how you guys remember it. But I rewatched it recently. Iíd put it on par with Taxi, 30 Rock, and similar standout 30 minute comedies.
Old 12-19-22, 04:48 PM
  #82  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 11,190
Received 769 Likes on 564 Posts
re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Weird to hear her speak without the Bernadette voice.

Not sure WTF they are talking about that Dan hasn't seen Abby in 35 years. 35 years ago was the late 80s, and Harry did not have a daughter. I guess they are ret-conning. Maybe Abby Stone grew up in NYC with Egon Spengler's secret daughter.
Old 12-19-22, 07:01 PM
  #83  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 15,797
Received 506 Likes on 353 Posts
re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Not sure WTF they are talking about that Dan hasn't seen Abby in 35 years. 35 years ago was the late 80s, and Harry did not have a daughter. I guess they are ret-conning. Maybe Abby Stone grew up in NYC with Egon Spengler's secret daughter.
Based on what he said about Abby last seeing him 35 years ago and what time has done to him - that would mean she was a kid and not an infant then (as she wouldn't remember Dan as an infant)... so Rauch is basically playing her age of around 42. That means Harry had a kid in 1980 or 1981. And since Abby and Dan met when she was a kid, that rules out Harry fathering a child he knew nothing about. So this would be a huge retcon. Curious to know how they're going to explain this.
Old 12-19-22, 07:50 PM
  #84  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 40,343
Received 1,752 Likes on 1,249 Posts
re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

They're probably just assuming that nobody is going to do a lot of math to make the ages work.
Old 12-20-22, 11:04 AM
  #85  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,654
Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23


The greatest con Harry the Hat ever pulled was the 'ol "judge's secret daughter" scheme.
Old 12-20-22, 11:40 AM
  #86  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 40,343
Received 1,752 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

I want to know how Harry has a daughter who isn't named Melanie.
Old 12-20-22, 11:45 AM
  #87  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Xander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 4,564
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Huh. Might at least give it a chance. Love the original.
Old 12-20-22, 12:47 PM
  #88  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,193
Received 187 Likes on 146 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Based on what he said about Abby last seeing him 35 years ago and what time has done to him - that would mean she was a kid and not an infant then (as she wouldn't remember Dan as an infant)... so Rauch is basically playing her age of around 42. That means Harry had a kid in 1980 or 1981. And since Abby and Dan met when she was a kid, that rules out Harry fathering a child he knew nothing about. So this would be a huge retcon. Curious to know how they're going to explain this.
Or it could take place a few years in the future and not present day. When we watched Night Court we assumed it was taking place in real time from 1984-1992, but perhaps time on the show was more compressed and while the show ended in 1992 our time, it could have been 1980 something. It's a stretch, but possible unless they mentioned specific years in any of the episodes.
Old 12-20-22, 12:48 PM
  #89  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,193
Received 187 Likes on 146 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
They're probably just assuming that nobody is going to do a lot of math to make the ages work.
It's worked many times over in soap operas and sitcoms where the infant ages 3-4 years in between seasons.
Old 12-20-22, 12:51 PM
  #90  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,193
Received 187 Likes on 146 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Yeah, that's what I got from it. Dan may have been a very successful trial lawyer all these years - pissing many people off in the process.

I feel like they'll portray Dan as a grumpy older man now and no longer the sex addict type character he was in the previous series. He may now be disgusted with any present day person that behaves like he did and may have no interest in women and prefer to be left alone now.
Old 12-20-22, 12:52 PM
  #91  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,193
Received 187 Likes on 146 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

My biggest question is will Bull still be on Jupiter helping the aliens reach stuff on the top shelves or will he be back on Earth.
Old 12-20-22, 07:31 PM
  #92  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 15,797
Received 506 Likes on 353 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I feel like they'll portray Dan as a grumpy older man now and no longer the sex addict type character he was in the previous series. He may now be disgusted with any present day person that behaves like he did and may have no interest in women and prefer to be left alone now.
Yeah, well John/Dan is 75 years old - keeping him as a sex addict doesn't fit at that age. Plus in 2022, it doesn't come off as funny as it did in the 80s. We also have to remember that the last couple seasons of the show, Dan lost some of his perverseness. I agree - he'll be mostly a grumpy old man who probably alienated himself later on his career.
Old 12-20-22, 10:59 PM
  #93  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 11,190
Received 769 Likes on 564 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Yeah, well John/Dan is 75 years old - keeping him as a sex addict doesn't fit at that age. Plus in 2022, it doesn't come off as funny as it did in the 80s. We also have to remember that the last couple seasons of the show, Dan lost some of his perverseness. I agree - he'll be mostly a grumpy old man who probably alienated himself later on his career.
Too bad. John won all those Emmys playing a lusty lech so well.
Old 12-21-22, 12:10 AM
  #94  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,537
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

I don't think this will happen, but Bob (Brent Spiner) and June (Annie O'Donnell) Wheeler should make a appearance on the show.


Old 12-21-22, 03:40 PM
  #95  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 616
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Saw the commercial on SNL. Looks cheap and terrible. A bunch of lame physical comedy like people getting drinks thrown in their faces every scene. Don't get much of sense about the new characters, which is where this will live and die.
Totally agree. I almost thought it was an SNL skit parodying another 80's sitcom nostalgia ripoff but it actually is that.
With most of the original cast dead I don't know why they even bothered trying to link it to the original show. John Larroquette must need the money badly. He looks completely wasted in the preview.

This looks like a very bad misfire, kinda like when they tried to reboot Murphy Brown. What did that last? Eight episodes?
Old 12-22-22, 01:24 AM
  #96  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
ben12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Where I live?
Posts: 3,584
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Based on what he said about Abby last seeing him 35 years ago and what time has done to him - that would mean she was a kid and not an infant then (as she wouldn't remember Dan as an infant)... so Rauch is basically playing her age of around 42. That means Harry had a kid in 1980 or 1981. And since Abby and Dan met when she was a kid, that rules out Harry fathering a child he knew nothing about. So this would be a huge retcon. Curious to know how they're going to explain this.
Or Harry dated a woman, they broke up, the woman found out she was pregnant and didn't tell him until years later. Like maybe she dies and Harry finds out he has a kid. It happens. It's a bit... much for a sitcom tone, but almost everyone from the original show is dead, so what are you gonna do!?
Old 12-22-22, 12:26 PM
  #97  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 11,190
Received 769 Likes on 564 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23



I've got it.
It was the 1980s, so Harry considered his female court clerk to be his sexual plaything. He was constantly subjecting Lana to unwanted sexual advances and harassment, which is why she always appeared so frazzled and nervous.
Harry raped her, which is why she disappeared from the court with no explanation, and she got pregnant.

Harry never acknowledged his daughter, but Dan Fielding knew what happened, and helped Lana with financial assistance for years.
Of course Dan had to do this all in secret, lest he incur Harry's wrath and have his career ruined by a vindictive judge.

So actually, seemingly good guy Harry was a rapist and deadbeat dad, while Dan was deep down a good man dedicated to helping Harry's victim.

Old 12-22-22, 01:18 PM
  #98  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,248
Received 209 Likes on 150 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Will they bring Ellen Foley back at least?
Old 12-22-22, 03:44 PM
  #99  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 15,797
Received 506 Likes on 353 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
Or Harry dated a woman, they broke up, the woman found out she was pregnant and didn't tell him until years later. Like maybe she dies and Harry finds out he has a kid. It happens. It's a bit... much for a sitcom tone, but almost everyone from the original show is dead, so what are you gonna do!?
The problem is that Harry's kid last saw Dan 35 years ago - which was around 1987... during the shows run. That means Harry knew about the kid during the shows timeline - but we never witnessed this revelation during the series. Unless this new show is set in 2027 or later, this doesn't jive with the original show.
Old 12-22-22, 07:50 PM
  #100  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,270
Received 2,158 Likes on 1,434 Posts
Re: Night Court (NBC) -- S: Melissa Rauch, John Larroquette -- Premieres 1/17/23

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post


I've got it.
It was the 1980s, so Harry considered his female court clerk to be his sexual plaything. He was constantly subjecting Lana to unwanted sexual advances and harassment, which is why she always appeared so frazzled and nervous.
Harry raped her, which is why she disappeared from the court with no explanation, and she got pregnant.

Harry never acknowledged his daughter, but Dan Fielding knew what happened, and helped Lana with financial assistance for years.
Of course Dan had to do this all in secret, lest he incur Harry's wrath and have his career ruined by a vindictive judge.

So actually, seemingly good guy Harry was a rapist and deadbeat dad, while Dan was deep down a good man dedicated to helping Harry's victim.
Thatís as funny as anything else Iíve seen from this show so far. I say go with it!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.