TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16

Originally Posted by GhostLee
Now that Arya has killed off the Freys (at least the important ones), could Edmure be freed to rule Riverrun again?
My guess is no, not legally (as in according to the Queen). Riverrun now belongs to whomever Frey's heir is. Arya did not "kill off the Freys" as there dozens of them. The show only implies that she killed three of them.
Old 06-30-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

She did create a power vacuum though. The Frey's are disorganized and more than a bit dumb. Walder was the smartest of the lot. The Riverlands will probably be complete chaos until someone comes in and takes over.

Edmure Tully is not exactly a cunning leader either.
Old 06-30-16, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking...I wonder if it'll ever be brought up that Varys was a part of Robert's council when they planned to have Dany murdered, which Varys agreed to. Is Varys out for his own self interest and only believes in Dany because at the end of the day, he believes she will take the throne?

It probably won't, but I was watching old episodes and thought that was interesting.
Old 06-30-16, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I like analyzing things that happen on Game of Thrones, but I don't really care about figuring out how long it takes for people to get from one place to another, unless it really has a big impact on the plot.
I think the only thing that makes this stuff feel so pronounced is because in the earlier seasons such a big emphasis was placed on how long it took people to get from point a to point b. So something about the characters leaping around feels in-authentic, but I also conceded that it shouldn't detract too much from the show. Especially if you think about the stories not happening concurrently.
Old 06-30-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 579 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I think the only thing that makes this stuff feel so pronounced is because in the earlier seasons such a big emphasis was placed on how long it took people to get from point a to point b. So something about the characters leaping around feels in-authentic, but I also conceded that it shouldn't detract too much from the show. Especially if you think about the stories not happening concurrently.
good analysis. and yeah, normally I don't care too much either. The Varys one bothered me, though, because it was so jarring and unnecessary.
Old 06-30-16, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
good analysis. and yeah, normally I don't care too much either. The Varys one bothered me, though, because it was so jarring and unnecessary.
Mostly it's just Littlefinger. The Varys one was a bit jarring. But at least he did it by ship - theoretically faster than Littlefinger, who constantly appears in places very far apart, traveling by (theoretically) mostly horseback across a dangerous, war-torn region.
Old 06-30-16, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
It's not so much Varys moving really fast, but rather it took cersei 2 weeks to put on her queen's dress and then wore it around for another few weeks for her coronation
They are two different dresses.

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Question about Dorne (even though people love to shit on it): Does it have any traditions/practices that Daenerys would want them to stop doing? She's all about making things better, but it seems like Dorne itself is pretty liberal (from what I've seen on the show), so I assume they'd be cool with each other after the dust settles (if they get to that point).

Same question for wherever the Tyrells are located.
Dorne is easily the most liberal and progressive of the Seven Kingdoms so I'm sure Dany would be just fine with them the way they are. The Tyrells of The Reach are well known for basically siding with whoever is in power and wouldn't need much reforming. Other than the Iron Islanders' penchant for reaving and raping, Westeros is reasonably progressive overall for a medieval-type society. Dany would basically just need to give more rights to women and perhaps to the smallfolk. She does seem to be a strong believer in noblesse oblige and that absolute monarchy is the best form of government.

Last edited by Defiant1; 06-30-16 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Defiant1, thanks for the insight. Looks like those alliances should hold then.

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Except that the fleet at the end included Tully and Tyrell sigils, indicating that they agreed to team up. So presumably, he came back with them. Though to be fair, I didn't notice them myself, and was also wondering at first how he teleported.

Last edited by bluetoast; 06-30-16 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Defiant1, thanks for the insight. Looks like those alliances should hold then.

Except that the fleet at the end included Tully and Tyrell sigils, indicating that they agreed to team up. So presumably, he came back with them. Though to be fair, I didn't notice them myself, and was also wondering at first how he teleported.
Tully or Martell? If it's the former than I really missed something.
Old 06-30-16, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Whoops, Martell, not Tully.
Old 06-30-16, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Speaking of male heirs, who is there left for Dany to even consider marrying for an alliance (besides Jon) Robin? Martell and Tyrell and her side of the Greyjoys don't and are already on her side. In fact who besides Cersei and Littlefinger (who is seemingly going to get very screwed over) even wants the iron throne anymore?
Old 06-30-16, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Sweet Robin would actually be a good idea for Dany to marry. Doesn't the Vale have one of the biggest armies in the north? Also, Tyrion is familiar with Robin. It would be cool to see some other characters introduced to the moon door. It would be also be cool to see Dany fill the role of Robin's mom, if you know what I mean... Unfortunately, he's probably too much of pussy for her.
Old 06-30-16, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
With Walder Frey's death, has every single male head of house that we've known of been assassinated/killed/died? Dunno what's up with Braavos though.
Originally Posted by mwbmis
Mace Tyrell died in the episode too.

The two that I can think of that have origins as far back as season one that we have met and are definitely still alive are Randyll Tarly, Sam's dad, and Yohn Royce, who's son died in the opening scenes beyond the wall in season one. He's the main noble character from the Vale who has interacted with Littlefinger.

I guess we just finally met Wyman Manderly too.
Originally Posted by Greedoshotfirst
Most of the major ones I believe. There is still House Manderly, Edmere Tully had Riverrun but I guess they put him back in the cell, so who knows who is running that now. The Vale is run by Lord Robyn isn't it? House Stark should technically be currently run by Sansa, but they pledged to Jon Snow as "King of the North!!!"
Yeah, all of the heads of the original heads Of the seven kingdoms (from the beginning of the series) have all died or been killed:

Jon Arryn of The Vale
Robert Baratheon of the Crownlands
Ned Stark of The North
Renly Baratheon of the Stormlands
Hoster Tully of the Riverlands
Tywin Lannister of the Westerlands
Stannis Baratheon of Dragonstone
Doran Martell of Dorne
Balon Greyjoy of the Iron Islands
Mace Tyrell of The Reach

The others, like Reed, Seaworth, and Tarly are minor houses under the authority of their great houses of their various regions and there are hundreds of these.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 06-30-16 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I found this amusing overall. Some impressions are spot on (Jon, Ramsay, Jaqen), others suck (Jorah, Tormund, Sam)

Old 07-01-16, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

Do they have one in black?
I've seen lots of variations of this phrase on black t-shirts via Facebook ads. They should be easy enough to find with some searching. Maybe Etsy?
Old 07-01-16, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Fuck that site! I really wanted to read the article but the page keeps incessantly reloading every few seconds until the browser crashes. I've tried it on two different browsers on my iPad without success.
Does it say anything about a downloadable score for the episode?
Old 07-01-16, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 579 Likes on 418 Posts

I know, but they didn't need to show him with those ships to get the idea that they had agreed to team up. We pretty much knew that the moment he showed up in Dorne for that meeting. That was my problem with it, it was unnecessarily jarring. But no biggie, I'm not losing sleep.
Old 07-01-16, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Old 07-01-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
My guess is no, not legally (as in according to the Queen). Riverrun now belongs to whomever Frey's heir is. Arya did not "kill off the Freys" as there dozens of them. The show only implies that she killed three of them.
I think the point of the castle scene was that Edmure still was ruler of the Riverlands. That's why the Walder Frey didn't have him killed. He needs him alive.
Old 07-01-16, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Fuck that site! I really wanted to read the article but the page keeps incessantly reloading every few seconds until the browser crashes. I've tried it on two different browsers on my iPad without success.
Does it say anything about a downloadable score for the episode?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc7mkijdtg...Music.pdf?dl=0
Old 07-01-16, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I think the point of the castle scene was that Edmure still was ruler of the Riverlands. That's why the Walder Frey didn't have him killed. He needs him alive.
When the Boltons defeated the Starks they took over Winterfell themselves (not sure what happened to the Dreadfort).

In theory, if the Freys became rulers of the Riverlands they would take over Riverrun themselves. But since The Twins is a big money making racket for the Freys, Walder would probably want to stay there himself. There also might be a problem with too many Tully loyalists at Riverrun.
Old 07-02-16, 01:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.yahoo.com/news/never-for...184854101.html

Clegane smash!

or

"First, there is a Mountain, then there is no Mountain, then there is...."
Old 07-03-16, 01:19 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Finally caught up

Last few episodes absolutely killed it ! amazing TV. Production values of a big budget action movie combined with the emotional connection you only get with over 50 hours with characters.

Lady morment stole the show for me, amazing little actress and character

The death of the High sparrow wasn't intimate enough for me. I'm pretty anti religion so really wanted him to see a painful death. at least his butch female offsider is gettin hers

Arya killing Frey was a 'cheap pop' but oh so satisfying. I know people have been critical of Arya's story, i loved it. she went away a victimised little girl, came back a little assassin.

When Arya reunites with Sansa and Jon, who won't be bawling their eyes out ? I just recently rewatched season 1 episode 1, seeing the Stark happy families seems so so long ago.

Sad to see Margery go because i don't think her story was done. Didn't mind Tommen topping himself

The players have been trimmed and things are really set for the final run home which should be a blinder. I think we are going to see some of the biggest budget TV episodes ever made

Also can't wait for a stand off between Danys/Tyrion and Cersi/Jaime

The Dorne/Tyrell alliance is interesting. They are minor players but adds another player
Old 07-06-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-season-7-may-908804

Season 7 may be delayed. Article says it's due to weather reasons for the story. They are going to start production later.
Old 07-06-16, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I'm surprised they can't make things look more "winter-like" either in post and/or film-making tricks during production.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.