Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16

Old 06-29-16, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16

Originally Posted by Greedoshotfirst View Post
So..they released the directors for the next season of GoT. I'll put it in spoilers just in case people don't want to know.

Spoiler:
The Directors for Season 7 are Alan Taylor, Jeremy Podeswa, Mark Mylod and newcomer Matt Shakman.

A pretty interesting list. I really don't know what the creators see in Mark Mylod. His episodes are usually the worst in their perspective seasons, so i'm hoping he does better next year. Alan Taylor directed some season 1 and 2 episodes, it's good to have him back. Jeremy Podeswa is a veteran and done several GoT episodes. Shakman is a little bit of a wild card, he has directed "Always Sunny" episodes along with "Fargo" and "The Good Wife," so it'll interesting to see what he brings to the table.

A little disappointed Miguel Sapochnik isn't directed an episode next year, but maybe they are holding him for the end run in Season 8. Also was hoping Jack Bender would make a return, but maybe his schedule didn't work out.
Disappointing. Taylor did a great job in season 1 but he also directed two of the weaker ones from season 2. And, of course, his movies since the show truly sucked ass. Podeswa is okay, I guess. Mark Mylod blows. Shakman just gets a big shrug from me. This fucking sucks. A damn shame Alex Graves has essentially been thrown under the bus completely by the show, D&D and HBO. Would have far preferred to see him return, or MacLaren, Nutter or Sakharov. Miguel Sapochnik is working on a new show for Netflix but I would imagine he will be returning for the final season.
Old 06-29-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,029 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorraffy View Post
I still find it a bit odd that we've got 13-ish eps left ... and we still haven't really seen anything of Lannister home central: Casterly Rock

*But I guess according to Daenerys/Daario battle plans, we will finally be seeing it at some point in the future. Though it's still odd it hasn't shown up in full this far into the series.
I dunno, Daario suggested that he be used to take Casterly Rock but then was denied and left behind. The only Lannisters we care about are either in Kings Landing or on Dany's side.

Wait, so does House Martell have some claim to the throne. Still seems odd to me that Cersei is named queen... Even after wiping everyone out, she didn't have many allies outside of the Mountain and Qyburn, and I don't see where she has any claim to the throne at all. Plus as we mentioned before, she's basically got few allies (Frey, and...) and no money, with Stark, Arryn, Tyrell, Martell (or at least Dorne)' and Greyjoy all against them.
Old 06-29-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I dunno, Daario suggested that he be used to take Casterly Rock but then was denied and left behind. The only Lannisters we care about are either in Kings Landing or on Dany's side.

Wait, so does House Martell have some claim to the throne. Still seems odd to me that Cersei is named queen... Even after wiping everyone out, she didn't have many allies outside of the Mountain and Qyburn, and I don't see where she has any claim to the throne at all. Plus as we mentioned before, she's basically got few allies (Frey, and...) and no money, with Stark, Arryn, Tyrell, Martell (or at least Dorne)' and Greyjoy all against them.
At that moment in time, who in King's Landing was going to speak out against her being Queen.

At this point, in terms of the realm, it's largely a nominal title. She has King's Landing and the Rock. She's not Queen of the North. She's not Queen of the south kingdoms. She's not Queen of the Vale. I suppose she's nominally Queen of the Riverlands depending how long the remnants of House Frey survive and maybe the Stormlands depending on who emerges there.

Last edited by mwbmis; 06-29-16 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I guess the scene with Theon and Yara .. that was in a brothel wasn't it?
You're right - I forgot about that one. Was there any nudity in that scene?
Old 06-29-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

About the musical score: http://theweek.com/articles/632709/w...n-finale-music
Old 06-29-16, 01:49 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
yes. and also when melisandre removed her necklace
Old 06-29-16, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm not one who is bothered by how some characters seem to travel quickly from one place to another (I figure some of those are just time jumps anyway).

But when it takes character seemingly forever to get somewhere stands out to me. Case in point: Sam, Gilly, and Little Sam. They left for Oldtown at the end of LAST season and ONLY got there at the end of this season! WTF?!!

Was their carriage being pulled by turtles or sloths or something else super slow??? Even with the less-than-a-day stopover at House Tarly, they should've made it to Oldtown by midseason at the latest.

But now that we finally saw Oldtown, I'm surprised more people didn't make the connection that its library is clearly based on the legendary Great Library of Alexandria.

When they arrived at the city and we saw the Great Lighthouse at Oldtown (below), I knew that this was GOT's version of ancient Alexandria (its lighthouse was one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world) and so it also having a Great Library was no surprise to me.

Old 06-29-16, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 285 Likes on 203 Posts

I'm not one who is bothered by how some characters seem to travel quickly from one place to another (I figure some of those are just time jumps anyway).
Yes, if you haven't already, you should familiarize yourself with Ellipsis as a narrative device, which this show uses a lot.
Old 06-29-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But how do you know when in the timeline Sam got there, since his story has very little interaction with any other one? Obviously they wanted the storylines to culminate all at once. You can even argue that Aryas's storyline took place a while ago as well, if you have trouble with her teleporting to Westeros.
Old 06-29-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 561 Likes on 358 Posts

Oh hell yes there was. At least half a dozen topless women and Yara lesbian kissing, etc.
Old 06-29-16, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

But how do you know when in the timeline Sam got there, since his story has very little interaction with any other one? Obviously they wanted the storylines to culminate all at once. You can even argue that Aryas's storyline took place a while ago as well, if you have trouble with her teleporting to Westeros.
Probably not that long ago in Arya's case, since Jaime was interacting with Walder Frey before leaving for King's Landing, and his stuff seems in sync with a few of the other storylines (King's Landing, Brienne/Sansa stuff).
Old 06-29-16, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HN View Post
yes. and also when melisandre removed her necklace
And the actress that played Cersei in that roadshow. Also Clarke, of course.
Old 06-29-16, 03:54 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata View Post
And the actress that played Cersei in that roadshow..
aw yeah, forgot about that. but wasn't it Bianca, the chick that arya said wanted to kill fake cersei, that showed her sweater puppies (when fake tyrion pulled her shirt down).
Old 06-29-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Has there been any confirmation that season 7 will be only 7 episodes.

Last reports from a few months ago were that Weiss and Benioff were planning for a 13 episodes over 2 seasons.
Old 06-29-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

No confirmation on how the split will occur. This week they said 15 more eps max though.
Old 06-29-16, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had heard 8 for the next, then 7 for the final season. That would give the series a good 75-episode run. Runtime-wise, that would be equivalent to a 100 episode network series that has 42-minute episodes due to commercials.
Old 06-29-16, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Probably not that long ago in Arya's case, since Jaime was interacting with Walder Frey before leaving for King's Landing, and his stuff seems in sync with a few of the other storylines (King's Landing, Brienne/Sansa stuff).
I meant more the Arya training in Bravoos scenes, that could have been months before for all we know.
Old 06-29-16, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 545 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I had heard 8 for the next, then 7 for the final season. That would give the series a good 75-episode run. Runtime-wise, that would be equivalent to a 100 episode network series that has 42-minute episodes due to commercials.
And then the spinoffs.. including the new hit comedies "Meet the Boltons" and "Everybody loves Joffrey".

Clip:

Last edited by General Zod; 06-29-16 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree that Sam & Gilly arrived at Oldtown many weeks before the other events shown in the episode. The white ravens released as Sam arrives had to fly from Oldtown (bottom of Westeros) all the way up to Winterfell (as we see one arrive with its message) far in the north. As the continent is roughly the size of South America, it would take that bird quite awhile to get there, which would indicate that Sam's storyline is out of sync with the Winterfell storyline.

Any bets on which episode on Season 7 will Dany's fleet actually arrive on Westerosi shores?
Old 06-29-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,868 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
Any bets on which episode on Season 7 will Dany's fleet actually arrive on Westerosi shores?
Tough call. On Dany's timeline it should probably take 3 seasons. But Varys is on the same ship and he darts back and forth across the Narrow Sea faster than Skype.
Old 06-29-16, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Hollywood Reporter - Sophie Turner interview

(Not official, but...)

I think some people have taken it very literally, thinking that she might be pregnant. Personally, I think it's more figurative, especially because months and months have gone on and Sansa really hasn't developed a baby belly.
HBO Infographic

Show's Jon Snow's parentage as Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. So, seemingly more R+L=J confirmation.
Old 06-29-16, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Do you guys think GRRM would've taken Sean Bean aside and said "hey, only your character knows this, but Jon Snow is actually so and so..."?
I guess Bean did know.

From his Reddit ama last year:

Old 06-29-16, 08:44 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MikahC View Post

HBO Infographic

Show's Jon Snow's parentage as Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. So, seemingly more R+L=J confirmation.
Didn't this finale essentially smash us over the head with that fact?
Old 06-29-16, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Old 06-29-16, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HN View Post
Didn't this finale essentially smash us over the head with that fact?
The father was intentionally left unnamed, leaving some room for doubt. The guys on HBO's After the Thrones speculate that the Mad King could also be a candidate.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.