TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-21, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Yep. The current champ is very good. No personality, but very good. I don't have a problem with the way he plays the actual game.

And Levar has been pretty stiff and the excited "Yes!" reactions after correct answers is annoying.
My only problem with the current champ is how much he bet on Double Jeopardys when he has huge leads like yesterday. I think it the 2nd round he only bet $2000
each time. He probably could of won over $100k yesterday.
Old 07-30-21, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna
My only problem with the current champ is how much he bet on Double Jeopardys when he has huge leads like yesterday. I think it the 2nd round he only bet $2000
each time. He probably could of won over $100k yesterday.
That's why I loved Holzhauer.
Old 07-30-21, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
The first thing I noticed is that his voice has lost a lot of power it had thirty years ago.

We're wondering if LeVar Burton is doing badly because he has never worked without a script before. Sports center people and news presenters have to vamp and banter, George Stephanopoulos and Dr Phil have to adjust to what their guests say, but Star Trek and Reading Rainbow were scripted.

Wednesday, Burton screwed up and said that the answer was wrong, and then corrected himself. The score displayed on the podium followed as fast as he said it, going down $2000, and then going up $2000. I'm surprised that the producers left that in for broadcast.
Yeah. I noticed that error too.

I haven't watched all of the guest hosts. Anderson Cooper is the best of what I've seen so far.

But I don't expect to him to be hired in the current political environment. They won't hire a news guy. Too toxic.
Old 07-30-21, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I would wager that guys like Anderson Cooper and Dr. Oz aren't really in the running since they already have full time careers.
Old 07-31-21, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I think it's a strategy. He also abbreviates the category name as much as possible. "Potent, 400".

We saw Burton for the first time and were not impressed. He has the delivery of a children's show host: going a little slow to make sure that everyone is keeping up, perky, and super-enthusiastic when someone gets the right answer.
I finally caught up with Burton's episodes, and this is a very apt description. I suppose he got marginally better as he went along but not by much. Disappointing.
The following users liked this post:
tommyp007 (07-31-21)
Old 08-04-21, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Jeopardy EP Mike Richards in talks to become the permanent host

Old 08-04-21, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I guess he’s been the best of the bunch so far.
Old 08-04-21, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Mike was my favorite. I hope he signs on.
Old 08-05-21, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Not really heavily invested, but kind of an underwhelming choice in my view. It’s too bad Burton didn’t do as well as a lot of us had hoped. I think I would have preferred Ken Jennings had gotten it.
Old 08-05-21, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Uh oh...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeopar...discrimination

Here comes the milkshake duck!
Old 08-06-21, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

As for the show itself, I think the current champ would still do better to start lower on the board (lower dollar amounts, I mean, but higher physically) especially in Jeopardy. The Daily Double tends to be in the higher dollar amounts, and he's frequently hitting them with just $2K or 3K. If he nickel and dimed it he might have a lot more to wager. But he'd have to go horizontally on the board and change the category, rather than going "traditional" and finishing out a single category at a time.
Old 08-06-21, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

So the white Executive Producer of the show slid right in and is supposedly going to be the new host from what I've been hearing.
Old 08-06-21, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

I think his playing more of a get those out of the way early (with lower amounts in everyone's bank), so that if anyone else does happen on to a Daily Double then they still don't have much of a chance to outscore him. He's confident he's going to dominate that overall boards for the most part.

The mindset is to win this particular game first and foremost with the least risk, not win as much as you can in this game. That is secondary motive and for him the payday is more likely in Final Jeopardy when he already has it wrapped up.
Old 08-06-21, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
I think his playing more of a get those out of the way early (with lower amounts in everyone's bank), so that if anyone else does happen on to a Daily Double then they still don't have much of a chance to outscore him. He's confident he's going to dominate that overall boards for the most part.

The mindset is to win this particular game first and foremost with the least risk, not win as much as you can in this game. That is secondary motive and for him the payday is more likely in Final Jeopardy when he already has it wrapped up.
Hmm. That does make sense.

I do notice that when it's only the lower dollar amounts left on the board, he tends to coast because there's no way the other contestants can nickel-and-dime their way to where he is at that point. That's why I dislike this guy, because you can tell there's not going to be a comeback, and Final Jeopardy, unless he Cliff Clavins it, isn't even going to be a factor. Yes, he's being smart, but it's far more boring the way he plays.
Old 08-06-21, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Yeah, he has a good plan, he's just hard to watch for me. I can handle the "what's" (that's actually a good idea so he can focus solely on the answer, and not have to add any through process to the who/what/where).

The thing that bugs me, is when he's thinking, he keeps slowly leaning into the board

Old 08-06-21, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Matt's a little weird, but he's good
Old 08-06-21, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Hmm. That does make sense.

I do notice that when it's only the lower dollar amounts left on the board, he tends to coast because there's no way the other contestants can nickel-and-dime their way to where he is at that point. That's why I dislike this guy, because you can tell there's not going to be a comeback, and Final Jeopardy, unless he Cliff Clavins it, isn't even going to be a factor. Yes, he's being smart, but it's far more boring the way he plays.
You dislike the guy because he's too dominant?
Old 08-06-21, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

I had never heard of the guy hosting this week, David Faber, but he's pretty good--maybe the most polished guest host so far.
Old 08-06-21, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You dislike the guy because he's too dominant?
Yes. I like watching a good competition, not one guy answering questions. I like when the Daily Doubles can alter the game. I like when Final Jeopardy actually means something.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (08-20-21)
Old 08-10-21, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know a lot of NFL fans don't like him, but I thought Joe Buck was pretty good.

And I took some solace in Matt scratching out the correct answer to put in an incorrect answer, and having it cost him 30 large.
Old 08-10-21, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I knew it was Magellan.

Had to kind of think it through, though. The only penguin I could think of was the Emperor Penguin, but knew that wasn't it. Then I started thinking of explorers from that time period, and remembered that Magellan sailed between South America and Antarctica (Strait of Magellan) when the circumnavigated the globe.

I'm sure that's what Matt was thinking, then he overthought it, and remembered the Drake Passage.
Old 08-10-21, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would have answered Turd Ferguson.

I hate when the answer is so obvious, after you hear it. Like last week, I had no idea what language the Declaration of Independence was first published in in a Pennsylvania newspaper, and guessed French like Matt did. Only after they pointed out the "Germantown" part of Philadelphia did it suddenly make sense. Actually, one of the contestants was on the right track, answering Dutch.

I did feel a little smug when no one knew (on a $2K question) who played keyboards on "You Make Lovin' Fun" in 1977. Pretty easy if you're even aware of the existence of Fleetwood Mac.
Old 08-10-21, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I know a lot of NFL fans don't like him, but I thought Joe Buck was pretty good.

And I took some solace in Matt scratching out the correct answer to put in an incorrect answer, and having it cost him 30 large.
He bet chump change on the two Daily Doubles in the 2nd round. But looks like he would of lost a lot more if he had bet the boat on those Daily Doubles.
I'm having a hell of time understanding the answers/pronunciations coming out of Matt's mouth. Maybe it's just my hearing.
Old 08-10-21, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kahuna
He bet chump change on the two Daily Doubles in the 2nd round. But looks like he would of lost a lot more if he had bet the boat on those Daily Doubles.
I'm having a hell of time understanding the answers/pronunciations coming out of Matt's mouth. Maybe it's just my hearing.
He doesn't always pronounce words correctly. He clearly has read up on a lot of subjects, but didn't look up the pronunciations of what he was reading. Hence him not knowing how to say "katydid" recently. Sort of reminded me of Ted Mosby on How I Met Your Mother telling his class about a person changed who colors like a "shamma-LEE-on"
Old 08-10-21, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's always kind of strange when all three players can't answer what seems to be a fairly easy question.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.