Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-21, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

There you go again... rambling on and bitching about something you haven't even watched. You really can't handle any life change.

You should be dominating the HATE thread that's out there.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (05-21-21)
Old 05-21-21, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

They're only doing guest hosts through the end of this season, next season there will be a permanent host
mikehunt (05-24-21)
Old 05-21-21, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 390 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Jeopardy! needs to have a single host. The focus should be on the game, the quality of the clues, and the caliber of the contestants themselves, not the host. They're playing this hosting game, and it is greatly detracting from the overall quality of the show.

I haven't watched since Alex's death... I also know that Alex was irreplaceable, and the show will never aspire to the same level of excellence ever again, and devolve into frivolity. So, I'm done, after 36-37 years of loving Jeopardy. (the first 8 or 9 years WITHOUT logo bugs!).
I'm sure people felt that way when Bob Barker retired from the Price is Right and will feel that way when Drew Carey eventually retires. As you know Alex was not the first host of the show and I suspect people would be more upset if they outright replaced Alex after he passed away.
The following 2 users liked this post by jpcamb:
Boondock Saint (05-24-21), mikehunt (05-24-21)
Old 05-21-21, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Jeopardy! needs to have a single host. The focus should be on the game, the quality of the clues, and the caliber of the contestants themselves, not the host. They're playing this hosting game, and it is greatly detracting from the overall quality of the show.

I haven't watched since Alex's death... I also know that Alex was irreplaceable, and the show will never aspire to the same level of excellence ever again, and devolve into frivolity. So, I'm done, after 36-37 years of loving Jeopardy. (the first 8 or 9 years WITHOUT logo bugs!).
Reads the first paragraph thinking this guy has an informed opinion. Gets to second paragraph and realizes this guy is just bitching (per usual) and has no clue what he's talking about.

I think you've firmly hit the Dana Carvey as grumpy old man stage, and it's not a good look.

The following 2 users liked this post by clckworang:
majorjoe23 (05-21-21), The Cow (05-24-21)
Old 05-24-21, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

not sure why but I can't stand Buzzy Cohen. I acknowledge he's doing a good job, I jut don't like him for some reason
Old 06-01-21, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Mayim Bialik is doing a good job
Old 06-01-21, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt
Mayim Bialik is doing a good job
She was fast and personable. She was able to throw in unscripted comments and kept the game moving.
Old 06-03-21, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I wasn't particularly looking forward to her but was pleasantly surprised how good she was doing, especially impressive because she was good from her first episode. My only complaint is that she snickers a bit too much at clues, like if it's a 'fun' topic like a TV show.
Old 06-24-21, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been way behind on episodes but am almost caught up. I'm surprised to say that Mayim Bialik might be my favorite of the guest hosts so far. Anderson Cooper and Bill Whitaker would be close behind. I didn't particularly like Buzzy Cohen as a host. There was something in the stilted way he talked.
Old 07-27-21, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

Levar Burton is the host this week! He had a few stumbles in yesterday's show, hopefully he found his groove after that. I haven't been watching much lately, though I checked out a few of George Stephanopoulos's episodes and thought he did well.
Old 07-27-21, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I was surprised by how stiff and awkward Levar Burton was. Kind of cringey, actually. Hopefully he'll pick up the rhythm of the show before his runs ends.

I think that, so far, my favorites have been Buzzy Cohen, Mike Richards, and Mayim Bialik. Kind odd, since my initial picks would have been Ken Jennings and Levar Burton.
Old 07-27-21, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I feel like from watching just a little of it he was a bit nervous. Probably because it’s something he’s wanted to do for so long, and people have been hyped for him, and he just had some first show jitters.
Old 07-27-21, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Burton did better on today's episode. He still had a couple of awkward moments near the beginning, but was pretty good after that.

The current champion is a good player, but his delivery bugs me a little. His every response begins with "What's." Never "What is" or "Who is" and rarely any articles like "a" or "the." Maybe it's a strategy.
Old 07-27-21, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I was surprised by how stiff and awkward Levar Burton was. Kind of cringey, actually. Hopefully he'll pick up the rhythm of the show before his runs ends.

I think that, so far, my favorites have been Buzzy Cohen, Mike Richards, and Mayim Bialik. Kind odd, since my initial picks would have been Ken Jennings and Levar Burton.
I wish he would have more than just one week. All the others so far got at least two weeks. It takes a number of episodes before they get settled in and by the time he's settled in, the week will be over. It fells a little weird seeing his eyes instead of a visor covering them and in a suit rather than a military uniform. His voice sounds a little different now. He doesn't have the youthful excited voice he had on Star trek or the Reading Rainbow. I think he could be a decent replacement for Trebek though. I know a lot of people are rooting for him and want him to be the Jeopardy! host for the next generation.
Old 07-28-21, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The last few have only gotten a week, and I think that's the case with the rest. I think he's pretty awful so far. Seems very unnatural, and weird facial expressions. Hopefully he relaxes into it a bit. I think he's probably the worst of the ones I've watched (which is everyone except Dr Oz).
Old 07-28-21, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Burton did better on today's episode. He still had a couple of awkward moments near the beginning, but was pretty good after that.

The current champion is a good player, but his delivery bugs me a little. His every response begins with "What's." Never "What is" or "Who is" and rarely any articles like "a" or "the." Maybe it's a strategy.
I think it's a strategy. He also abbreviates the category name as much as possible. "Potent, 400".

We saw Burton for the first time and were not impressed. He has the delivery of a children's show host: going a little slow to make sure that everyone is keeping up, perky, and super-enthusiastic when someone gets the right answer.
Old 07-28-21, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ginwen
The last few have only gotten a week, and I think that's the case with the rest. I think he's pretty awful so far. Seems very unnatural, and weird facial expressions. Hopefully he relaxes into it a bit. I think he's probably the worst of the ones I've watched (which is everyone except Dr Oz).
I'm a few episodes behind so haven't seen Burton yet, but my friend who also watches texted me pretty much the same thing. She said he is her least favorite so far and called his facial expressions very strange.
Old 07-28-21, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nick danger
he has the delivery of a children's show host: Going a little slow to make sure that everyone is keeping up, perky, and super-enthusiastic when someone gets the right answer.
"YES!!!"
a
kahuna (07-28-21)
Old 07-28-21, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Burton’s voice sounds weak a little bit too.
Also not Loking that weird ear ring.
Old 07-28-21, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Oof. Wish you hadn't pointed this out, now it's all I notice. Especially when he "What's" when the answer is a name, and "Who is" would sound better.

Also, even though I read somewhere that it's the best strategy, I hate people who choose the big money questions first. Because when you're playing along at home, it's more natural when someone goes from top to bottom and the questions progressively get harder.
andicus (07-28-21)
Old 07-28-21, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, that’s boring. It’s why I liked watching Holtzauer play. Didn’t do it the same way everyone alway has.
Boondock Saint (07-28-21)
Old 07-28-21, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Don't make me break out a Dana Carvey Weekend Update image here, Tony
Old 07-28-21, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Boring. 40 years of every single contestant going from left to right, top to bottom.

Zzzzz

🙂

Last edited by whotony; 07-28-21 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-30-21, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Eh, that’s boring. It’s why I liked watching Holtzauer play. Didn’t do it the same way everyone alway has.
Yep. The current champ is very good. No personality, but very good. I don't have a problem with the way he plays the actual game.

And Levar has been pretty stiff and the excited "Yes!" reactions after correct answers is annoying.
Old 07-30-21, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony
Burton’s voice sounds weak a little bit too.
Also not Loking that weird ear ring.
The first thing I noticed is that his voice has lost a lot of power it had thirty years ago.

We're wondering if LeVar Burton is doing badly because he has never worked without a script before. Sports center people and news presenters have to vamp and banter, George Stephanopoulos and Dr Phil have to adjust to what their guests say, but Star Trek and Reading Rainbow were scripted.

Wednesday, Burton screwed up and said that the answer was wrong, and then corrected himself. The score displayed on the podium followed as fast as he said it, going down $2000, and then going up $2000. I'm surprised that the producers left that in for broadcast.

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Yep. The current champ is very good. No personality, but very good. I don't have a problem with the way he plays the actual game.

And Levar has been pretty stiff and the excited "Yes!" reactions after correct answers is annoying.
It's weird. Matt shows some personality when he's not competing. You can see it during the closing segment when the audio is turned off. But once he starts playing, all that goes away.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 07-30-21 at 11:15 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.