Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-20, 06:05 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by movieguru
Different situation though. Vanna was clearly hired for the show to be eye candy for Wheel of Fortune when they first started that version of the show.
Obviously a joke. The point is, they aren’t going to hire someone old as a replacement just to have them die in a few years and have to go through the whole thing again.
Old 11-10-20, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Watched the ABC 20/20 special on Alex. That was really good.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Dog:
Bandoman (11-11-20), tommyp007 (11-10-20)
Old 11-10-20, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Levar Burton seems too old to start a gig like that.
Hosting Jeopardy isn't like appointing a Supreme Court Justice. Just because Alex Trebek hosted the show for 36 years until his death doesn't mean that his replacement has to do the same thing. I don't think anyone expects Drew Carey to host The Price is Right for 35 years. He may end up doing it for that long, but I doubt that was one of the requirements or expectations when he was hired to do the show.
Old 11-10-20, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Honestly, I did not ask her how he was or how he looked. She posted a very somber note about learning of his passing. He must have taken a turn for the worse for him to die only 10 days after a production hiatus.
So they were at least on a hiatus. I guess that's good. So maybe he didn't really get to say goodbye to the production staff.
Old 11-11-20, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
He's 63... he could go for quite a few years... but I agree, they need someone younger as this show is never going to go away.
I think for the rest of this season they should have guest hosts filling in for a week or two at a time so they can see which one is more favorable. A number of people have been suggested in articles as a possible replacement. Rosie Perez's name has come up. I have a hard time differentiating her from her role in the movie "It Could Happen to You" and can't picture her as being anything but whiny and high pitched.

George Stephanopoulos is too associated with politics and he would change the feel of a show in a bad way. I don't know much about Joe Rogan, but he seems more like a loud mouthed jock.

The other two that come up as the most suggested are Jennings and Levar Burton. They would seem like the best choice out of the ones above that have been suggested thus far. I was concerned with how Jennings delivered some of the clues in the video segments he was on recently, but maybe it just takes some practice and time to get it right. He seems the most liked out of those associated with Jeopardy and would likely be accepted as a replacement without a lot of resistance from the audience. Levar Burton would be a good choice as well. He has a lot of fans across various genres, from TNG to Roots to The Reading Rainbow that could draw in viewers.
Old 11-11-20, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Think of Rosie Perez as the Jeopardy champion in White Men Can't Jump.
Old 11-11-20, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Think of Rosie Perez as the Jeopardy champion in White Men Can't Jump.
I've never seen the movie, but I went and watched the clip of her on Jeopardy in the movie. I still don't get her being considered for the hosting job because she did a movie scene that used the show in the movie she was in. Her accent seem somewhat strong even when not acting in a role. I would expect someone that hosted this type of show be able to clearly annunciate words without too much of a regional accent coming through when they were speaking. if they want to go with someone whose character in a show of movie was on Jeopardy then I would prefer they use John Ratzenberger as host. He would actually be an interesting host, at least as a guest host.
Old 11-12-20, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

There's a petition out to have Levar Burton be the next host. I am 110% on board with that idea.
Old 11-12-20, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

I would watch if nothing else out of curiosity to see Levar. Very affable guy.
Old 11-12-20, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Levar Burton here we go with the pandering again. 🙄
Old 11-12-20, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I could only watch if Levar wore the Geordi VISOR the whole time. It freaks me out to see his eyes.
Old 11-12-20, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

It’s funny seeing fans campaign and put up petitions, without regard for that person’s actual wants or career goals. Ken Jennings has repeatedly said that playing the game and hosting are completely separate skill sets. Maybe he was being polite, but it’s a robotic reaction when people say he’s the only choice. As for Levar Burton, sure I think he’d be great, but what if he’s just not interested? How does it feel for him with all the hype and he declines, or doesn’t even get it.

Reminds me of when everyone kept wanting different comedians to take over The Daily Show. Nobody wanted it, because those were big shows to fill. One such person even told Twitter to stop saying she should host, saying that people were acting like they knew her better than she knew herself.
Old 11-12-20, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

LeVar Burton previously expressed interest in taking over the show someday.
Old 11-12-20, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by windom
I could only watch if Levar wore the Geordi VISOR the whole time. It freaks me out to see his eyes.
It was weird seeing him without his visor, especially in scenes on TNG. He looks different now so that won't be as much of an issue. I just watched a recent interview with him on Youtube and his voice sounded much different as well. if I had my eyes closed and someone asked me to identify the voice from the interview, I don't think I would have been able to come up with Levar Burton.
Old 11-13-20, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
I can’t wait to see all the 60+ year old suggestions when the day comes for Vanna White’s replacement.
I know they were trying to be PC when they started calling Vanna White a "cohost", but how is what she does really any different than whet Diane Parkinson or Janice Pennington other than responding to something Pat Sajak says at the end of every episode?
Old 11-13-20, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I know they were trying to be PC when they started calling Vanna White a "cohost", but how is what she does really any different than whet Diane Parkinson or Janice Pennington other than responding to something Pat Sajak says at the end of every episode?
Unlike the two you mentioned, Vanna has hosted the show while Pat had surgery.
Old 11-14-20, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Unlike the two you mentioned, Vanna has hosted the show while Pat had surgery.
Yes, but other than those few episodes, I would not consider her a host or cohost. Pat Sajak's daughter was touching the letters while Vanna was hosting. I would not consider his daughter to be a host or cohost during that time.
Old 11-14-20, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Here's what I'll say about their pick - going with a bad choice will alienate long-time viewers. I religiously watched Bob Barker's Price Is Right for years. When they decided on Drew Carey as Bob's replacement, I gave up ever watching the show after a few weeks. They lost a loyal supporter.

For many, many viewers, Alex Trebek was Jeopardy. A lot of the celebrity suggestions bandied about here just sound off. I'm likely to drop Jeopardy completely if they go with anyone else but Ken Jennings. I know it won't happen, but I'd be willing to accept a complete unknown over a washed-up celebrity.
Old 11-15-20, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Here's what I'll say about their pick - going with a bad choice will alienate long-time viewers. I religiously watched Bob Barker's Price Is Right for years. When they decided on Drew Carey as Bob's replacement, I gave up ever watching the show after a few weeks. They lost a loyal supporter.

For many, many viewers, Alex Trebek was Jeopardy. A lot of the celebrity suggestions bandied about here just sound off. I'm likely to drop Jeopardy completely if they go with anyone else but Ken Jennings. I know it won't happen, but I'd be willing to accept a complete unknown over a washed-up celebrity.
This is exactly why Ken makes sense. He's already in the Jeopardy family. It's not like they're going to get a sudden boost of viewership if they choose a popular celebrity. I'm sure they're aware they have to play the long game. Of course noone can replace Trebek but I think someone who can command a similar respect while still being able to have fun and laugh at himself is key. I think Anderson Cooper and George Stephanopolous would be incredibly boring. I think LeVar Burton would be a good choice as well. He has a good balance between professionalism and fun.
Old 11-15-20, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I saw on ET that Joe Buck is in the running.

I say let Weird Al do it. They could use his song for the theme too.
Old 11-16-20, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I saw on ET that Joe Buck is in the running.

I say let Weird Al do it. They could use his song for the theme too.
Ugh. I hope not.

Old 11-23-20, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Rotating guest hosts for a while, starting with Ken Jennings. Makes sense for the time being.

Old 11-23-20, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

https://deadline.com/2020/11/joepard...ek-1234620780/

Ken Jennings will guest host a few episodes.
Old 11-23-20, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Watson be like.. "Fuck you all!"
Old 11-23-20, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://deadline.com/2020/11/joepard...ek-1234620780/

Ken Jennings will guest host a few episodes.
It says they will have a series of guest hosts from "within the Jeopardy family". I wonder if that means we will also get Jimmy and Sarah gust hosting some episodes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.