Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Jeopardy! Discussion

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Old 05-06-19, 09:48 AM
  #276  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,453
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post


I've never noticed or don't recall if it's happened, but it could be possible for the winning of the Jeopardy game to win less money than the second and third place contestant. I'm sure there has to have been games where everyone missed the Final Jeopardy round and lost a lot of their "money", but has any winning contestanst every won less than $2K in a single game?
Old 05-06-19, 10:05 AM
  #277  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,453
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
A lot of talk about how the producers/clue makers of the show can find categories to stump James...but honestly, it's in their best interests if he keeps on winning. Their ratings/attention on the show are through the roof right now.
Are they allowed to skew their categories based on contestants abilities and knowledge? From what I've heard the questons/answers and categories are random and it may be illegal to fix the game in this way.

Since the ratings increase whenever they have a run like this though, it is highly unlikely that they would skew their questions so that he would lose the game.
Old 05-06-19, 11:37 AM
  #278  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wanma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit - Formerly known as Obi-Wan Jabroni
Posts: 11,680
Received 302 Likes on 164 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I've never noticed or don't recall if it's happened, but it could be possible for the winning of the Jeopardy game to win less money than the second and third place contestant. I'm sure there has to have been games where everyone missed the Final Jeopardy round and lost a lot of their "money", but has any winning contestanst every won less than $2K in a single game?

Old 05-06-19, 03:15 PM
  #279  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,453
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
So in this case did the winner only get $1 for winning the game and 2nd and 3rd place walked away with more money? I guess the winner gets to come back for the opportunity to play again where he will eventually leave with at least $1K or $2K, but it seems odd to win and receive less than those below you.
Old 05-06-19, 08:47 PM
  #280  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 26,554
Received 540 Likes on 361 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Are they allowed to skew their categories based on contestants abilities and knowledge? From what I've heard the questons/answers and categories are random and it may be illegal to fix the game in this way.

Since the ratings increase whenever they have a run like this though, it is highly unlikely that they would skew their questions so that he would lose the game.
James doesn't seem to have any weak categories. Leaving aside his quick buzzer speed and his superior understanding of wagering, he is a monster in the knowledge of trivia.

There was an article someplace which said the best way to skew the game against someone like James is to make all the clues easier. Then everyone will buzz in every time and always answer correctly, and that alone would increase the odds against him.
Old 05-07-19, 07:03 AM
  #281  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 36,724
Received 869 Likes on 632 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
So in this case did the winner only get $1 for winning the game and 2nd and 3rd place walked away with more money? I guess the winner gets to come back for the opportunity to play again where he will eventually leave with at least $1K or $2K, but it seems odd to win and receive less than those below you.
Wouldn’t surprise me if the winner might also be guaranteed a minimum amount, like $3K or $5K.
Old 05-07-19, 08:53 AM
  #282  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,282
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Nope, if you win you only get what you had at the end of the game but they get to come back and try to win more money. So it's possible to win a game with
Old 05-07-19, 10:23 AM
  #283  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Nefarious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the Middle
Posts: 5,382
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

"What It's Like to Get Crushed by Jeopardy God James Holzhauer"

https://deadspin.com/what-its-like-t...hol-1834482418
Old 05-08-19, 12:55 AM
  #284  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 20,357
Received 134 Likes on 110 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Watching the way James plays makes it that much harder to watch the way these teachers and everyone else plays.
From top to bottom in one cat is so boring.
Old 05-08-19, 01:27 AM
  #285  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 24,756
Received 330 Likes on 284 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

I suspect in the wake of his success you will see many more players adopt his style. He's basically the first person to hack the Jeopardy format, but his strategies can be copied by anyone.

He gave an interview today on the MLB Network. He has a cunning, ruthless intelligence you often find in hardened and successful gamblers. He explained how he deconstructed Jeopardy's format from the ground up for maximum success.

He's going to do for Jeopardy what Moneyball did for baseball. Once enough players copy his style, it's going to affect Jeopardy's entertainment value. It may not be for the better in the long run.
Old 05-20-19, 10:48 PM
  #286  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Old 05-21-19, 02:41 AM
  #287  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,143
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

IIRC what Trebek said in that show's intro, JH had the top 12 single-game records -- now 13.

His average game is a little more than $400 above the previous one-day record (Roger Craig's $77,000).
Old 05-21-19, 08:03 AM
  #288  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 21,309
Likes: 0
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

It seems like more games now have a scoring clarification for answers given. Does the writing staff not consider possiblities like 'display ratio' for a two word phrase along with 'aspect ratio'? Producing ginormous amounts of answers and questions could be a factor but it just seems sloppy for a show of this calibre.
Old 05-22-19, 02:55 AM
  #289  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 24,756
Received 330 Likes on 284 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

The contestant that steals the Daily Doubles from him has the best chance at taking him down.
Old 05-22-19, 03:04 AM
  #290  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 20,357
Received 134 Likes on 110 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

The two their players tried to mimic his style last night. Didn’t help.
Old 05-22-19, 10:10 AM
  #291  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
sauce07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 6,547
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

The two players last night looked pissed from the start, they couldn't be happy being in the way of this train.
Old 05-22-19, 10:18 AM
  #292  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,217
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

The 3rd dude was close, if he had found that daily double, he could have made it a game, of course he has to get it right first...
Old 05-22-19, 10:22 AM
  #293  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,453
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by kenny79 View Post
IIRC what Trebek said in that show's intro, JH had the top 12 single-game records -- now 13.

His average game is a little more than $400 above the previous one-day record (Roger Craig's $77,000).
Are all of his top scores still records if you account for the period of time when the value of each question/answer was only half what it is now? I'm sure they still are, but I wonder if any of the contestants in early Jeopardy history would come close to any of his records.
Old 05-22-19, 10:28 AM
  #294  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 125,901
Received 196 Likes on 161 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
The two players last night looked pissed from the start, they couldn't be happy being in the way of this train.


I noticed the same thing. Particularly the woman. She looked so bitchy throughout.

I do feel for them though. It's so hard to get on the show and when you finally do, you draw this juggernaut.
Old 05-22-19, 10:41 AM
  #295  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 21,309
Likes: 0
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

I said, "Lambs for the slaughter," when they were introduced last night. James got the almost back-to-back Daily Doubles and it's like, "Oh well, we tried," moment.
Old 05-22-19, 12:30 PM
  #296  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,903
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

That dude with the fucked beard was super annoying - seemed like the type of person you'd want to punch in real life. Was glad when the champ put him down.
Old 05-23-19, 07:27 AM
  #297  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,623
Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

They tried to distract James with a hot school teacher last night. Didn't work.
Old 05-23-19, 07:39 AM
  #298  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,282
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Are all of his top scores still records if you account for the period of time when the value of each question/answer was only half what it is now? I'm sure they still are, but I wonder if any of the contestants in early Jeopardy history would come close to any of his records.
Per The Final Wager, the highest one-day total in the pre-doubled days was Jerome Verod's $34,000, which of course would be the equivalent of $68,000 now. That was in 1992 and wasn't bested until Ken Jennings got $75,000 in 2004.
Old 05-23-19, 10:39 AM
  #299  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 125,901
Received 196 Likes on 161 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
They tried to distract James with a hot school teacher last night. Didn't work.
She was damn fine.
Old 05-23-19, 11:07 AM
  #300  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 21,309
Likes: 0
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion



Canadian Aubrey Plaza

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.