Reload this Page >

Sherlock (BBC/PBS) Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sherlock (BBC/PBS) Series Thread

Old 01-17-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 963 Likes on 598 Posts
Re: Sherlock (BBC/PBS) Series Thread

I thought the last episode was ridiculous. In a bad way. It relied on the brilliant Sherlock and Mycroft being idiots. I know the writers wanted to show that Eurus was much smarter than them, but they shouldn't have fallen for half her tricks.
Old 01-17-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Well it's over. Each episode this season seemed to do a fantastic job of combining things I love and hate about the show.
I agree. I think the 2nd episode worked best, and I think that was partly because it mostly avoiding the overriding "arch" and told it's own story, only dealing with the immediate fallout from the previous episode.

I feel like for the end they felt they had to one-up their Moriarty arch, which would be difficult to do.

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I thought the last episode was ridiculous. In a bad way. It relied on the brilliant Sherlock and Mycroft being idiots. I know the writers wanted to show that Eurus was much smarter than them, but they shouldn't have fallen for half her tricks.
She really didn't do many "tricks" in the episode, aside from maybe the missing glass. Maybe Mycroft should've been more concerned that the entire compound was compromised and swoop in with a sizable force instead of just sneaking in on their own.

For the "tests," very few were tricks, or at least tricks that they had any reasonable way to circumvent. The Governor shooting himself was due to a real threat of killing his wife, and Euros was true to her word. The 3 brothers, Sherlock figured out the correct guilty party, but had no control over who Euros killed. For Molly, he could've surmised that Euros might not have rigged the apartment to blow up, but she had already blown up his apartment, and is that a risk one is willing to take.

I guess the only other "trick" was the girl on the plane, although again with the limited amount of into they had, and a credible voice on the phone, is it worth the risk to not try and help?
Old 01-17-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I agree. I think the 2nd episode worked best, and I think that was partly because it mostly avoiding the overriding "arch" and told it's own story, only dealing with the immediate fallout from the previous episode.

I feel like for the end they felt they had to one-up their Moriarty arch, which would be difficult to do.

She really didn't do many "tricks" in the episode, aside from maybe the missing glass. Maybe Mycroft should've been more concerned that the entire compound was compromised and swoop in with a sizable force instead of just sneaking in on their own.

For the "tests," very few were tricks, or at least tricks that they had any reasonable way to circumvent. The Governor shooting himself was due to a real threat of killing his wife, and Euros was true to her word. The 3 brothers, Sherlock figured out the correct guilty party, but had no control over who Euros killed. For Molly, he could've surmised that Euros might not have rigged the apartment to blow up, but she had already blown up his apartment, and is that a risk one is willing to take.

I guess the only other "trick" was the girl on the plane, although again with the limited amount of into they had, and a credible voice on the phone, is it worth the risk to not try and help?
Granted he didn't follow through with shooting himself or Mycroft, but Sherlock can tell if your wife is sleeping around based on how you tie your shoes and he can't tell this little girl is fake when she can't answer where she took off from, where she's going, any question whatsoever, and how has this plane has been flying around for hours with everyone but her affected anyway.
Old 01-17-17, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cleaver
Granted he didn't follow through with shooting himself or Mycroft, but Sherlock can tell if your wife is sleeping around based on how you tie your shoes and he can't tell this little girl is fake when she can't answer where she took off from, where she's going, any question whatsoever, and how has this plane has been flying around for hours with everyone but her affected anyway.
Well, I mean, he does figure it out, eventually. Part of the issue was the piecemeal way he interacted with her, with constant interruptions. He both asked for her name and where she took off from, but her responses were cut off. You could argue that Euros was cutting off the conversations at crucial points, derailing Sherlock's train of thought and trying to distract him from the line of questioning he had been pursuing.

The "being aloft for hours" thing was a bit of a giveaway that something wasn't right, but he figured it out himself pretty shortly after that.
Old 01-19-17, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts

No spoilers please - any idea when these will be on Netflix/Hulu?
Old 01-19-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
No spoilers please - any idea when these will be on Netflix/Hulu?
PBS streams them for free. Your public dollars at work.
Old 01-19-17, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
PBS streams them for free. Your public dollars at work.
Thanks, thought that had expired.
Old 01-19-17, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, the BluRay streets Tuesday, 1/24/2017.
Old 01-19-17, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Lots of rumors floating now that the 2 leads don't like each other at all and do not want the show to come back which probably wouldn't happen anyway based on the ratings. One blind item said MF said he wouldn't come back and work with BC for any amount of money. Most likely bull but sometimes where there is smoke...
Old 01-20-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MF = Martin Freeman ("Watson")
BC = Benedict Cumberbatch ("Sherlock")

The show has always been on "We're lucky if we get more" terms. There are a lot of reasons it might not come back. If it does, great. If it doesn't, I have 4 great seasons to continue to enjoy.

Also, for anyone interesting in owning S4 who isn't doing Blu-ray yet, I didn't mention above that in addition to the Blu-ray arriving Tuesday, a DVD of the season will also be available.
Old 01-20-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

BC is probably still pissed that MF stole the Arkenstone from him
Old 01-20-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Lots of rumors floating now that the 2 leads don't like each other at all and do not want the show to come back which probably wouldn't happen anyway based on the ratings. One blind item said MF said he wouldn't come back and work with BC for any amount of money. Most likely bull but sometimes where there is smoke...
Seems like Martin Freeman has a "thing" with that. I can't remember what it was - Fargo? The Office? The Hobbit films? Love Actually? - but wasn't there something else where he "didn't get along" with the rest of the cast?
Old 01-20-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah I have heard Martin is kinda a dick to people and has issues with casts on multiple projects. Even going back to the office I don't think they all got along there either. I heard him on an interview recently and he comes off as a rather serious introverted type guy for the most part so maybe that can be perceived as dickish. Or he may just be an actual dick.

But the rumors now are saying that Ben has totally changed from a nice guy bloke fellow actor to a STAR diva due to his success and rise in fame.
Old 01-20-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MikahC
The show has always been on "We're lucky if we get more" terms. There are a lot of reasons it might not come back. If it does, great. If it doesn't, I have 4 great seasons to continue to enjoy.
If it's really just a question of timing, i.e. getting everyone's schedules in sync, I wouldn't be opposed to the occasional Christmas Special or other one-off every few years or so.
Old 07-23-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

Somehow this slipped and I never watched the final two episodes of series 4.

I really enjoyed the second one. It was a nice mixture of a case coupled with the fallout of Mary's death. They certainly had the series mapped out since sister was the therapist. One puzzling piece was - if she got out to be Watson's therapist, why not just stay out? So she could lure them to the prison and let everything play out?

I do agree it seemed like Sherlock was getting lead around a bit too much until the end. All seeemd a bit odd since he was missing so much information.

I'm not sure how much I believe the rumors. Don't BBC contracts work differently where things are a bit more project by project? Given how much trouble it is to deconflict schedules, I don't think they all be so eager to make arrange,nets and come back if things are that disjointed behind the scenes.

Anyhow, the ending did seem to wrap things up as a series ended, but leaving open the option for more. Given how well the 1.5 hour format works, I agree an occasional single case would be welcome.