TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase

I'm more shocked that there are enough women would didn't know they were pregnant until they birth on a toilet.
That show sound like something I might come up with if I was going try to describe how much I didn't want to do something, as in "I would rather watch women who didn't know they were pregnant give birth on the toilet than share needles with third world prostitutes."
Old 09-12-10, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Man lately the Horders crews have been kinda dicks, calling cps and getting that one family thrown out of their home.
Old 09-13-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Man lately the Horders crews have been kinda dicks, calling cps and getting that one family thrown out of their home.
They are bounded by law to report conditions to CPS that are unsafe to children. Hardly makes them dicks for doing their jobs.
Old 09-13-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by suziq999
They are bounded by law to report conditions to CPS that are unsafe to children. Hardly makes them dicks for doing their jobs.
I can see them calling at the end of the show if no improvement is made but their whole purpose is to fix the problem. Calling cps at the top of the show is in poor taste.
Old 09-13-10, 06:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Like suzig999 said, the crews of Horders are bound by law to call CPS...poor taste or not.

I'm a teacher and have had coworkers call CPS when concerns about our students arose. It's a really difficult thing to do and no one feels good about it happening, but it's a shame if we ignore it because we may come across as 'dicks'.

I didn't see this episode of Horders so I can't comment on what happened, but children shouldn't be subjected to any of the things I've seen on those shows. So, kudos to the crew for doing what is right before doing what they probably wanted. Maybe a call to CPS will actually help in the long run?
Old 09-14-10, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By law, the one therapist (who kind of looks like Tonya Harding) had to call (but did not give any names) about the folks in Hawaii. It sure lit a fire under the homeowners' tails and they got it cleaned in the allotted four days so the therapist didn't have to turn them in.
Old 09-14-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Pixie Song
My husband finds this show utterly depressing, so I've only seen a handful of episodes at most. I remember the first one I watched, the woman had been using her bathtub as a toilet. One of the cleaners stumbled across human waste and refused to continue.
I saw the cat lady episode last night. What possesses a person to take a dump in a plastic bag and store it in the house?!?
Old 09-14-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsoos
I saw the cat lady episode last night. What possesses a person to take a dump in a plastic bag and store it in the house?!?
Yes, well, her plumbing didn't work and she had to improvise.
Old 09-14-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I guess when you have three ft deep cat feces on the ground you kind of become numb to poop.

I'm surprised that place wasn't condemned. Even cleaned up it looked like Tyler Durden's house.
Old 09-14-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I felt nauseous after watching that cat lady episode. That house looked like it could be a haunted house!

I can easily eat dinner and watch those medical surgery shows on TLC and not feel inclined to vomit. But the cat lady taking a dump in a bag and chucking it upstairs was beyond belief.
Old 09-15-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Damfino
Yes, well, her plumbing didn't work and she had to improvise.
Old 09-15-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by suziq999
What I found irritating is that the state of Hawaii somehow only noticed this family's situation after a national television show arrives, and even then they were pretty laid back about doing anything.

"Well, if it's still bad in a few days, let us know, otherwise...we're kind of hanging out on the beach, and we're not really staffed to come out there."
Old 09-15-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I'm surprised that place wasn't condemned. Even cleaned up it looked like Tyler Durden's house.
I think it was. There was a blurb just before the credits that the family couldn't afford $75,000 to bring the house up to code, so they were being charged $10,000 for demolition.
Old 09-15-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
On American Pickers hoarders are revered (not the trashy kind though).

There are plenty of people on American Pickers that would qualify has being hoarders. Tons of crap with some half way valuable stuff. Funny how both shows are opposites of the other. What I want to know is how do the Pickers even sell most of that crap and to who? I live about 2 hours from their shop I should make a road trip some weekend and check it out.
Old 09-15-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mopower
There are plenty of people on American Pickers that would qualify has being hoarders. Tons of crap with some half way valuable stuff. Funny how both shows are opposites of the other. What I want to know is how do the Pickers even sell most of that crap and to who? I live about 2 hours from their shop I should make a road trip some weekend and check it out.
Take pictures for the forum!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-10, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last night I watched the episode with the single Canadian mom and her three daughters, and I have to say...that house was pretty clean when compared with most Hoarders episodes. After they'd cleaned up, the house didn't have the usual permanent staining on the carpets, and their furniture was actually in good condition.
Old 09-16-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mikael79
Last night I watched the episode with the single Canadian mom and her three daughters, and I have to say...that house was pretty clean when compared with most Hoarders episodes. After they'd cleaned up, the house didn't have the usual permanent staining on the carpets, and their furniture was actually in good condition.
I was thinking the same thing, especially since this was broadcast after the cat lady/poop collector episode.

I guess when it comes to hoarding, Canadians are just amateurs.
Old 09-16-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Damfino
I was thinking the same thing, especially since this was broadcast after the cat lady/poop collector episode.

I guess when it comes to hoarding, Canadians are just amateurs.
I don't think the Canadian lady would have gotten on the air if it wasn't for her middle daughter, in my opinion anyhow. Sometimes we see people on Hoarders who are more lazy than hoarders, and I think that mom definitely falls under that category. She showed only a few moments of resistance to throwing things out, which is rare on that show.
Old 09-16-10, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah, some people are just filthy pigs rather than hoarders. I don't think the poop lady assigned any sentimental value to bags of shit tossed in the corner either.

I always wonder where these compulsive shoppers get the money to support their habit. These are never wealthy people but they seem to have endless amounts of money to buy stuff they don't use.
Old 09-16-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After seeing the live opossum in the workshop (cue the crazy hillbilly music!), I think A&E needs to do crossover episodes with Hoarders and Billy the Exterminator.
Old 10-19-10, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://http://www.thesmokinggun.com/...d-sex-offender

I knew there was something very off about this guy. More than just the usual Hoarding issues.

Old 10-19-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ Can't say I'm shocked

When my wife and I were watching that episode, and he brokedown when talking about the young girl who used to live next door to him, we looked at each other and both called out 'Pervert' at the same time.

The link isn't working for me, so what's the gist of the story?
Old 10-19-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
/\ Can't say I'm shocked

When my wife and I were watching that episode, and he brokedown when talking about the young girl who used to live next door to him, we looked at each other and both called out 'Pervert' at the same time.

The link isn't working for me, so what's the gist of the story?
Try this link
Old 10-19-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sometime back there were posts on the A&E boards and other sites about Sir Patrick's history and how he tried rip off people when he was selling his stuff. I don't watch Hoarders consistently and there are some episodes I haven't seen but out of all the episode the episode featuring Sir Patrick and the hoarding parents Gordon and Gaye and their two adult children was probably the strangest and most depressing episode I ever saw.
Old 11-24-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

If you touch my junk I'll have you arrested.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.