TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
I hope they atleast do updates in future shows, I mean last night the guy with all of the cars and scrap had good intentions and got $3k for the metal, but I don't think he seemed like the type that would continue to clean it up when the show is not paying for the scrap metal dumpster, despite the 5 months extension to avoid jail time.
The junkyard guy again made me angry. I get it that he wanted to sell the stuff for his grandchildren but realistically he was never going to get around to doing that. At first I thought it was a junkyard or he didn't have any neighbors so I didn't see what the problem was but basically having a junkyard in a neighborhood and not caring when the neighbors complains is quite rude. Should have gone to jail for not completing in the allotted time.

Didn't really care for the second case. We've seen it before, the mother was a slob and the kid picked up on it.

Last edited by Timber; 09-29-09 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-30-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkdevo
do we have an episode # or names for this one? for some reason, i think i missed it...
Jake; Shirley
Original Airdate: 2009-09-07
Synopsis:

Jack compulsively hoards garbage and fears that if things don't change soon he may take his own life; Shirley could never turn away a stray cat, now she must cooperate with authorities or face criminal prosecution for animal cruelty.

http://television.aol.com/show/hoard...81560/episodes

I'll have to check to find out when they re-air the others so I can get caught up.
Old 09-30-09, 11:29 AM

FYI- Comcast has these On Demand in HD.
Old 09-30-09, 11:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OscarBluth
FYI- Comcast has these On Demand in HD.

ewww, awwww, trash in hidef, just what I want to see.
Old 09-30-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
The junkyard guy again made me angry. I get it that he wanted to sell the stuff for his grandchildren but realistically he was never going to get around to doing that. At first I thought it was a junkyard or he didn't have any neighbors so I didn't see what the problem was but basically having a junkyard in a neighborhood and not caring when the neighbors complains is quite rude. Should have gone to jail for not completing in the allotted time.

Didn't really care for the second case. We've seen it before, the mother was a slob and the kid picked up on it.
Proof of that was when the kid didn't freak out at all when he came home to a clean room, with a lot of his stuff missing. I'm hoping that he has a shot to not fall into his mother's issues, but I doubt that she'll keep it up.

If I were the state, I'd monitor her often, and take the kids away if she goes back to being a slob.
Old 09-30-09, 11:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber

all that stuff to be removed in just three days! HAH! that aint happening - that was sad case where the cleaning crew was trying to bite off more than they could chew.
Old 09-30-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
all that stuff to be removed in just three days! HAH! that aint happening - that was sad case where the cleaning crew was trying to bite off more than they could chew.
Agreed! If I did that for a living, I would have called in sick that day!

Also, did anyone else think about the fact that little kids were playing on the ground where rusting metals and flourescent bulbs were lying around for countless years? That can't be healthy!
Old 09-30-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
But he had way more then 3 days to do it. He had already gotten several continuances and been to jail for it one time before.
Old 09-30-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mikael79
Also, did anyone else think about the fact that little kids were playing on the ground where rusting metals and flourescent bulbs were lying around for countless years? That can't be healthy!
Not healthy but when I was younger that would have been a lot of fun for more playing around there.
Old 09-30-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think there's definitely been a couple of people profiled on this show that aren't "hoarders" so much as really lazy slobs. The lady with the 7 year old falls into that category. So does the one from the week before who was complaining because she didn't get 12 hours of sleep.
Old 09-09-10, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

This show makes me want to compulsively clean my house. Also I believe season 3 is about to start. Or perhaps it already has.
Old 09-09-10, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new season started Monday night with two new episodes. The gal in the first episode was as mean as a rattlesnake. Frankly, I would have let her disappear into all of her trash.
Old 09-09-10, 08:01 AM

My husband finds this show utterly depressing, so I've only seen a handful of episodes at most. I remember the first one I watched, the woman had been using her bathtub as a toilet. One of the cleaners stumbled across human waste and refused to continue.

The animal hoarders disturb me the most. The animals are never cared for or cleaned up after properly. I can't imagine the overhwelming stench that comes from piles of cat and dog excrement or their decaying carcasses.

What amazes me is that these people are able to breathe comfortably in their own home.

Last edited by Pixie Song; 09-09-10 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-09-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Pixie Song

What amazes me is that these people are able to breathe comfortably in their own home.
They are not. One woman hoarder's child had asthma so bad they threatened to remove him from the home if they didn't clean up. Most of these people have respiratory problems from the bugs/fungus/filth.

I don't know if this was a rerun or not, but did anybody see the Sir Hopsalot or whatever his name was that thought his crap was worth 2.7 million dollars and he got $7k at an auction? Wow, that was an eye opener.
Old 09-09-10, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by suziq999
They are not. One woman hoarder's child had asthma so bad they threatened to remove him from the home if they didn't clean up. Most of these people have respiratory problems from the bugs/fungus/filth.
I'm not surprised. When your neighbors can smell and gag on the stench emanating from your home, it must burn the eyes to walk through the front door.

Last edited by Pixie Song; 09-10-10 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-09-10, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Saw a few episodes on Monday - these houses are downright scary.
Old 09-09-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Pixie Song
The animal hoarders disturb me the most. The animals are never cared for or cleaned up after properly. I can't imagine the overhwelming stench that comes from piles of cat and dog excrement or their decaying carcasses.

There's a new show on Animal Planet all about animal hoarding.
Old 09-09-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

The scariest part of all this is that there are enough people with this problem to support a TV series, not to mention the various other hoarder specials on TLC, etc.
Old 09-09-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by suziq999

I don't know if this was a rerun or not, but did anybody see the Sir Hopsalot or whatever his name was that thought his crap was worth 2.7 million dollars and he got $7k at an auction? Wow, that was an eye opener.
Sir Patrick was in one of the new episodes. He was a victim of the hype surrounding pseudo-collectables that are made to sound as if they will increase in value due to being "limited edition" and "heirloom quality" reproductions of things that really are valuable.

I will say that he was the most meticulous hoarder they've ever had on the show. His house looked like a museum until they got into his roach infested kitchen!
Old 09-09-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
The scariest part of all this is that there are enough people with this problem to support a TV series, not to mention the various other hoarder specials on TLC, etc.
Hoarding is pretty common, although there are varying degrees to the illness. It all boils down to the severity of the individual's depression, I suppose. It's often hereditary, so imagine it's been passed down and spread over a long time.

I'm more shocked that there are enough women would didn't know they were pregnant until they birth on a toilet. That show is already on it's third season.
Old 09-09-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

On American Pickers hoarders are revered (not the trashy kind though).
Old 09-09-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
I'm more shocked that there are enough women would didn't know they were pregnant until they birth on a toilet. That show is already on it's third season.
There's a show for that? what's it called and what channel is it on? I've got to see that at least once.
Old 09-09-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Damfino
There's a show for that? what's it called and what channel is it on? I've got to see that at least once.
I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant

It airs on TLC and Discovery Health. I'm sure they have an 8-hour marathon coming up sometime soon.
Old 09-09-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant

It airs on TLC and Discovery Health. I'm sure they have an 8-hour marathon coming up sometime soon.
Of course, what else would it be called? I have but don't watch TLC so that's probably why I had never heard of it. On the surface, the show sounds like a hoax or a one time special, but a whole series? I don't need a marathon of it, so I'll probably just watch 1 random hour of it. thanks.
Old 09-10-10, 08:44 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Damfino
Of course, what else would it be called? I have but don't watch TLC so that's probably why I had never heard of it. On the surface, the show sounds like a hoax or a one time special, but a whole series? I don't need a marathon of it, so I'll probably just watch 1 random hour of it. thanks.
Also be sure to check out My Dog Ate What?!, also on TLC.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.