Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Old 08-24-09, 09:01 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 871
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Each 60-minute episode of Hoarders is a fascinating look inside the lives of two different people whose inability to part with their belongings is so out of control that they are on the verge of a personal crisis.

http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/

It's really just people who don't throw things away or clean up their crap. Pathways from room to room, rotting food in multiple fridges, old cheerios on their child's floor (because "the dog doesn't eat cheerios"), families that eat dinner on the parents' bed because the tiny dining table in the kitchen is never clean, etc.

Last week one of the 1-800-GOT-JUNK guys was taking apart a boy's plastic play house, and he came running out crying that he wanted to keep it. He actually said this while crying: "I wanted to keep that and have my kids play with it." I learned from watching you, Dad! I learned it from watching you

Old 08-24-09, 09:25 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 13,420
Likes: 0
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

I love this show and shows on hoarders in general. Such a pathetic class of people. The lady last week that wouldn't throw food away and didn't worry about expiration dates was disturbing.

Just through your shit away.
Old 08-24-09, 10:15 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 871
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

I know, it's crazy. Some people bought DVDs years ago that they've never watched. Rush Hour 3 on Blu-Ray, awesome!

Old 08-24-09, 11:04 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,190
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

I also find these kinds of shows fascinating. My aunt is a hoarder but she keeps most of her stuff boxed.

Last edited by writer106; 08-25-09 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-24-09, 11:43 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,733
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Man I wanted to strangle the son in the most recent episode. I understand his intentions but he wasn't helping.

This show always reminds me of this thread though. *warning some of the pictures are gross*
Old 09-08-09, 03:04 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Mikael79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: IA Now, From MN
Posts: 5,912
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

I'm extremely into this show, and since I didn't get to watch it last night, I've been waiting all day to watch it on my DVR tonight.

I'll tell you what...I clean house every time after I watch this show. It just makes me so sick to my stomach that I start looking around my own house for stuff to throw away.
Old 09-09-09, 02:10 PM
  #7  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,623
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I love this show and shows on hoarders in general. Such a pathetic class of people. The lady last week that wouldn't throw food away and didn't worry about expiration dates was disturbing.

Just through your shit away.
hey let's not generalize, my church has helped out fellow church members who have had this problem, it's not that they are lazy, it's a form of mental illness and other systemic problems.
Old 09-09-09, 03:01 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
William Fuld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 3,888
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
I'll tell you what...I clean house every time after I watch this show. It just makes me so sick to my stomach that I start looking around my own house for stuff to throw away.
That is so true. It doesn't help that most of the commercials are for cleaning products too.
Old 09-10-09, 02:32 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 13,420
Likes: 0
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Finally got around to watching this week and I have to say that the 2 cases were probably the worst so far.

First how is the kid supposed to keep that place clean when the father isn't on board? Seemed like a huge waste of time.

Second the animal hoarders really made me angry. Dead and sick cats all over the place and she still gets to keep some? They should have been locked up.
Old 09-10-09, 06:54 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,791
Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Originally Posted by Timber View Post

Second the animal hoarders really made me angry. Dead and sick cats all over the place and she still gets to keep some? They should have been locked up.
Could be worse...at least they weren't juggling them.
Old 09-10-09, 07:00 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,058
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Second the animal hoarders really made me angry. Dead and sick cats all over the place and she still gets to keep some? They should have been locked up.
Ugh, I was eating dinner when they were pulling cat skulls out of the trash. I guess I should know better than to eat during this show.
Old 09-11-09, 04:45 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Just through your shit away.
Might want to hold on to your dictionary.
Old 09-11-09, 10:46 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43,020
Received 312 Likes on 220 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Tough to watch - I had to fast-forward a lot of the segments.

I think I may have a bit of hoarding in me, but it's kept in check by my above average OCD pertaining to cleanliness and organization.

What I want to know is why all these hoarders appear to be poor white trash?
Old 09-12-09, 12:28 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 669
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

In the end, do they clean up their houses or do they stay the same? If they don't clean it up, I'll stick to "Clean House" where they make progress each episode. It prompted me to donate items to the Salvation Army and free my home of 'mayhem and foolishness'.
Old 09-12-09, 07:44 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
mickey65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,459
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Originally Posted by mraw View Post
In the end, do they clean up their houses or do they stay the same? If they don't clean it up, I'll stick to "Clean House" where they make progress each episode. It prompted me to donate items to the Salvation Army and free my home of 'mayhem and foolishness'.
At the end, with some of them, they give an update on what's been going on. Some of them have kept their houses clean, and others haven't.
Old 09-12-09, 09:28 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 13,420
Likes: 0
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

I actually prefer it to clean house because they don't buy them all new stuff. The remove the clutter and clean for the most part but it's always kind of sad at the end when they show the "clean" house and the carpet is always stained beyond repair.
Old 09-13-09, 05:24 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5,731
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

I enjoy Clean House for what it is, but when they're dealing with real hoarders, and not just people with junky houses, that show isn't helping anyone. These people have real problems, and sitting on the couch with Niecey for 15 minutes isn't going to change anything.

Hoarders, while still sensationalistic, seems to be a bit more helpful. However, it is frustrating to watch. It's like, just let them take everything out of your house! But when you see that lady fighting to keep old yogurt, you know she's not right.
Old 09-14-09, 09:15 AM
  #18  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,623
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Tough to watch - I had to fast-forward a lot of the segments.

I think I may have a bit of hoarding in me, but it's kept in check by my above average OCD pertaining to cleanliness and organization.

What I want to know is why all these hoarders appear to be poor white trash?

I'm not sure how the one woman who hoarded food was that poor - she kept on buying food and just keeping it ... and the woman who had the shopping compulsion, she obviousily had money to burn ... it's makes me sick and bewildered that obviousily some of these folks have enough money to feed their hoarding behaviour.
Old 09-14-09, 04:14 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Mikael79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: IA Now, From MN
Posts: 5,912
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I'm not sure how the one woman who hoarded food was that poor - she kept on buying food and just keeping it ... and the woman who had the shopping compulsion, she obviousily had money to burn ... it's makes me sick and bewildered that obviousily some of these folks have enough money to feed their hoarding behaviour.
They pay for their addictions/illness before paying the bills.
Old 09-14-09, 04:20 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43,020
Received 312 Likes on 220 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Yeah, trust me, these people are leveraged, mortgaged and living on some insane debt.
Old 09-14-09, 10:04 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Mikael79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: IA Now, From MN
Posts: 5,912
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Another week of failures. It really bugs me that the "specialists" handle the hoarders with such kid gloves when there is a serious problem looming (foreclosure, eviction) and they end up getting maybe one room cleaned.

I know that the point is to help cure the people, but will they be cured when all of their possessions are eventually tossed after the bank gets ownership of the house and guts it?

The younger girl on today's show seemed to be more lazy than a hoarder, although she did show some symptoms. If the bitch starts yawning 2 minutes into the cleaning, it shows she doesn't really have much of an attachment to her junk, since most people on the show are usually ready to have a heart attack in the same position.
Old 09-14-09, 10:47 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 19,794
Received 806 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

A few weeks in, this is already repetitive. Same situation every week. A lot of shit lying around waiting to be cleaned up.
Bring back "Obsessed", which at least had some variety in the dysfunctions.
Old 09-15-09, 06:52 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
onebyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,049
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

I will never get over the episode with the woman who hoarded food and thought it was ok to eat food years and years past their expiration date.

I came thisclose to tossing my cookies in that one. Won't be watching that one again. Ever.

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Second the animal hoarders really made me angry. Dead and sick cats all over the place and she still gets to keep some? They should have been locked up.
They made me furious. The authorities went way too easy on them.

Last edited by onebyone; 09-15-09 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-15-09, 08:07 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 13,420
Likes: 0
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post

The younger girl on today's show seemed to be more lazy than a hoarder, although she did show some symptoms. If the bitch starts yawning 2 minutes into the cleaning, it shows she doesn't really have much of an attachment to her junk, since most people on the show are usually ready to have a heart attack in the same position.
I do wonder how many of these people are "hoarders" and how many just have hoarding tendencies or are just flat out lazy. If you buy a new house because the old house is too far gone that a serious issue. If you lose your job and get depressed and get lazy I'm not so sure.
Old 09-15-09, 09:15 AM
  #25  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,623
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Hoarders (Mondays on A&E)

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I do wonder how many of these people are "hoarders" and how many just have hoarding tendencies or are just flat out lazy. If you buy a new house because the old house is too far gone that a serious issue. If you lose your job and get depressed and get lazy I'm not so sure.
I'm about to become two out of the three (not the latter)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.