Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Series 4 (BBC) General Discussion [includes spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-08, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
The post-RTD era can't start soon enough.
to that!

Unfortunately, I wouldn't doubt RTD will be writing every one of the specials this year.
Old 12-29-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Are the specials only supposed to be ~60 minutes? When I heard "special" the first though I had was extended episodes; perhaps 90-120 minutes.
Old 12-29-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can anyone post screenshots of the Big Robot stamping over London??
Old 12-29-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Superman07
Are the specials only supposed to be ~60 minutes? When I heard "special" the first though I had was extended episodes; perhaps 90-120 minutes.
Well a normal episode is ~45 minutes, so a 60-minute episode is extended.
Old 01-01-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Can anyone post screenshots of the Big Robot stamping over London??
Spoiler:

Old 01-02-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
New Doctor announced tomorrow:

Eleventh Doctor announced tomorrow

BBC News has announced that the identity of the actor who will play the Eleventh Doctor, succeeding current Doctor David Tennant, will be announced tomorrow.

The news will come in a special edition of tie-in documentary series Doctor Who Confidential, which is being transmitted on BBC One tomorrow evening at 5.35pm. The episode will also be shown at the same time on BBC Big Screens in town centres across the UK.

The actor was confirmed in the role over the Christmas period and will begin filming for Series Five this summer, for transmission in 2010. New executive producer Piers Wenger is quoted as saying: "We believe the actor is going to bring something very special to the role and will make it absolutely their own. I just can't wait to tell everyone who it is - it has been a nail-biting Christmas trying to keep this under wraps!"

The release from the BBC Press Office confirms that the Confidential episode has been retitled "The Eleventh Doctor" (it was formerly advertised as "The Ten Doctors"), and will feature the actor concerned giving his or her thoughts on having been cast. The press release also suggests that the last of David Tennant's episodes as the Doctor will be broadcast in the New Year of 2010.
Old 01-02-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not only a special Confidential tomorrow, but naming the new Doctor as well?

Pretty amazing that his name hasn't been leaked already.
Old 01-02-09, 12:17 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting wording in that release:

New executive producer Piers Wenger is quoted as saying: "We believe the actor is going to bring something very special to the role and will make it absolutely their own. I just can't wait to tell everyone who it is - it has been a nail-biting Christmas trying to keep this under wraps!"

The release from the BBC Press Office confirms that the Confidential episode has been retitled "The Eleventh Doctor" (it was formerly advertised as "The Ten Doctors"), and will feature the actor concerned giving his or her thoughts on having been cast. The press release also suggests that the last of David Tennant's episodes as the Doctor will be broadcast in the New Year of 2010.
Old 01-02-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll tell you right now, it's not going to be a woman.
Old 01-02-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm. Should be interesting. Can't wait.

Here is an article about who it could be
Spoiler:
New 'Doctor Who' To Be Revealed Saturday

Page: 1|2 |Next
Email this storyBy MICHAEL HINMAN
Source: Sci Fi Pulse
Jan-02-2009
ShareThis

The man (or woman) who will take over the Tardis and the sonic screwdriver for "Doctor Who" will be revealed by BBC on Saturday.
That's the word coming from Sci-Fi Pulse who is hinting that BBC will announce David Tennant's replacement as Paterson Joseph, according to its sources. That was a name first dropped by SciFi Wire in October, and has grown legs ever since.

Joseph played Rodrick, the rather annoying future "Weakest Link" contestant in the first season "Doctor Who" episodes "Bad Wolf" and "Parting of the Ways." Most of his work has been in British series that are mostly unfamiliar to American audiences such as "Green Wing" and "Survivors."

BBC says it will reveal the identity of the new Doctor during its broadcast of "Doctor Who Confidential" Saturday at 17:35 local time, 12:35 p.m. ET.

"We are so pleased to have been able to cast this person as the new Doctor," Said Piers Wenger, BBC Wales' head of drama, in a statement. "We believe the actor is going to bring something very special to this role and will make it absolutely their own -- I just can't wait to tell everyone who it is. It has been a nail-biting Christmas trying to keep this under wraps."

If Joseph is the choice as the new Doctor, he would be the first black actor to take on the iconic role. It also would reverse the trend of casting younger and younger actors for the role of The Doctor, Tennant being in his early 30s when he took over from Christopher Eccleston, and Joseph turning 44 last summer.

That still hasn't provided any clues on who would be The Doctor's new companion when Steven Moffat takes over in 2010. Tennant will continue the role of The Doctor in three specials slated throughout 2009 without a continuing companion, and the new Doctor will debut in early 2010. It is said that the new Doctor will first appear during a regeneration sequence slated for Christmas 2009.

Last edited by riley_dude; 01-02-09 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-03-09, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And here he is:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1741002/

I'm glad they didn't pick any of the so-called front runners.

http://gallifreyone.com/news.php#new...AlZAAyzxvBVeOS
Old 01-03-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, guess they're going with a relative unknown. Anyone seen him and have an opinion of his style?
Old 01-03-09, 12:21 PM

I agree about him being unknown. and he continues the downward spiral of getting younger. Could it be that the next one will be 18 and have a "Benjamin Button effect"?
Old 01-03-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They're casting the doctors way too young.
Old 01-03-09, 12:51 PM

I am adopting a wait and see attitude regarding Season 5 out of respect for Steven Moffat as a screen writer with the caveat that I am somewhat alarmed at the dumbing down trend that Dr. Who seems to be on. Season 4's focus seemed to rely more on action, SPFX, and guest stars and while it made for an enjoyable ride (particularly Moffat's 2 parter and the Pompeii episode) a lot of it felt formulaic. A note to the BBC - Doctor Who SHOULD be different from the other shows out there aimed at twenty year olds. Don't aim to compete with American TV programs, aim to be something BETTER.
Old 01-03-09, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some speculation here -- http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39646

Regards,
Smithsguy
Old 01-03-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Hmmm. Part of me was really hoping they'd cast a black doctor for some reason -- Chiwetel would have been AWESOME -- but will be interesting to see where they go from here. Young isn't BAD, although the guy looks like he should be lead singer of an emo band. Will wait and see.
Old 01-03-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Evenswr posted this in the DVD Talk Forum:

Originally Posted by evenswr
Matt Smith?
BBC News:

New Doctor actor is youngest ever

Matt Smith had that 'Doctor-ness', says BBC Wales' head of drama

Matt Smith has been named as the actor who will take over from David Tennant in Doctor Who - making him the youngest actor to take on the role.

At 26, Smith is three years younger than Peter Davison when he signed up to play the fifth Doctor in 1981.

Smith will first appear on TV screens as the 11th Doctor in 2010.

He was cast over Christmas and will begin filming for the fifth series of Doctor Who in the summer. Tennant is filming four specials in 2009.

Smith was named as Tennant's replacement in Saturday's edition of Doctor Who Confidential on BBC One.

He said: "I've got this wonderful journey in front of me where I've got this six months to build this Time Lord - and that's such an exciting prospect."

Piers Wenger, head of drama at BBC Wales, said that as soon as he had seen Smith's audition he "knew he was the one".

"It was abundantly clear that he had that 'Doctor-ness' about him," he said. "You are either the Doctor or you are not."

The 11 Doctors
Peter Davison
1. William Hartnell (1963-1966)
2. Patrick Troughton (1966-1969)
3. Jon Pertwee (1970-1974)
4. Tom Baker (1974-1981)
5. Peter Davison - pictured (1982-1984)
6. Colin Baker (1984-1986)
7. Sylvester McCoy (1987-1996)
8. Paul McGann (1996)
9. Christopher Eccleston (2005)
10. David Tennant (2005-2010)
11. Matt Smith (2010 - ?)

Wenger said a broad range of people had been auditioned, but they had not set out to cast the youngest Doctor.

Smith's TV debut was in the 2006 adaptation of Philip Pullman's The Ruby in the Smoke, which starred former Doctor Who companion Billie Piper as Sally Lockhart.

He has also acted opposite Piper in the follow-up, The Shadow in the North, and in ITV2's Secret Diary of a Call Girl.

In 2007, he had a leading role in BBC Two's political drama Party Animals, in which he played a parliamentary researcher.

Smith's stage work has included stints with theatre companies such as the Royal Court and National Theatre. His West End debut was in Swimming With Sharks opposite Christian Slater.

He was born in Northampton in 1982 and studied drama and creative writing at the University of East Anglia.

Creative team

Tennant said in October that he would stand down from the show after filming four special episodes in 2009.

David Tennant as Doctor Who
Tennant is recovering from back surgery ahead of filming in 2009
The star is due to begin shooting the first special this month, just weeks after surgery on his back forced him to pull out of a London run of Hamlet.

The last of these special episodes is expected to run in early 2010.

With a new creative team in place for the 2010 series led by executive producers Steven Moffat and Piers Wenger, the casting of the Doctor was the first job to be completed before scripts could be finalised.

Doctor Who began in 1963, and seven actors played the Doctor before the show was dropped in 1989.

After a TV movie in 1996 - starring Paul McGann - the TV series returned in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston in the lead role. Tennant took over the same year.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 01-03-09 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-03-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2JhAPkkLgtI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2JhAPkkLgtI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-03-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good news about the new Doctor.
I watched this Doctor Who/Trek thing. Way too long.
Old 01-03-09, 05:26 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Matt looks like a good actor but has a funny looking face which i guess is a good thing for this role
Old 01-03-09, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, his reveal on the 'Eleventh Doctor' special did make him look like a Tim Burton character. He does look a bit more normal in the handful of clips they showed. I think it was just the camera angle and a tragic hairstyle.

I dunno. He'll be 27 by the time his first episode rolls around. Not really all THAT young.

I'll be looking forward to it.
Old 01-03-09, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
Yeah, his reveal on the 'Eleventh Doctor' special did make him look like a Tim Burton character. He does look a bit more normal in the handful of clips they showed. I think it was just the camera angle and a tragic hairstyle.
I agree, if all we were shown were the interviews, I would be a little concerned.

But, the clips from the various shows were a different story.

Either way, that hair has got to change.

It sure is weird to introduce us to somebody who we'll see for about 2 minutes nearly a year from now and then finally full-time in 15 months.
Old 01-04-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Ugh no kidding. I kinda wish they'd waited a few more months before introducing him. Its just makes the wait that much more unbearable.

Ah, now heres a much more flattering pic of the guy.

Also an extended version of the interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zog-6.../badastronomy/

Last edited by Panda Phil; 01-04-09 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-04-09, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
It sure is weird to introduce us to somebody who we'll see for about 2 minutes nearly a year from now and then finally full-time in 15 months.
My guess is that they introduced him because filming for series 5 is supposed to start in the next couple of months and they knew people would being seeing him on set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.