Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Series 4 (BBC) General Discussion [includes spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
re: Riley. Yes, but don't you find all this returning to characters and reversing their prior plot points for the sake of new plot as a gimmic? I'd rather they come up with something different rather than feeling forced (?) to reuse old characters. For example, as I said earlier Rose wasn't remotely necessary this season - well at least after Turn Left. Why drag Donna through that as well?

re: Valeyard (or anybody else) - Did you get the impression that River had intially (or was) supposed to meet the Doctor in his 10th incarnation. Maybe it's becaue I knew Tennant was leaving, but I assumed she meant somebody else due to the way she described him. Then to have "Allons-y!" I figured we might have an answer.
Old 11-28-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Superman07
re: Riley. Yes, but don't you find all this returning to characters and reversing their prior plot points for the sake of new plot as a gimmic? I'd rather they come up with something different rather than feeling forced (?) to reuse old characters. For example, as I said earlier Rose wasn't remotely necessary this season - well at least after Turn Left. Why drag Donna through that as well?

re: Valeyard (or anybody else) - Did you get the impression that River had intially (or was) supposed to meet the Doctor in his 10th incarnation. Maybe it's becaue I knew Tennant was leaving, but I assumed she meant somebody else due to the way she described him. Then to have "Allons-y!" I figured we might have an answer.
I do and I felt that with Rose but I am still left with a bad taste in my mouth with the way they handled Donna's exit.
At least Rose and Martha got a happy ending.
Old 11-29-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Oh yeah. I think some of River Song's dialogue totally implies that she meets Tennat's Doctor later down the road. Over on the Gally boards, someone mentioned that the '09 specials supposedly take place further down Tennant's timeline. That gives plenty of time for inbetween stories (and future meetings with River Song). But who knows for sure?

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I do and I felt that with Rose but I am still left with a bad taste in my mouth with the way they handled Donna's exit.
At least Rose and Martha got a happy ending.
Donna has a return trip scheduled during the '09 special(s).
Old 11-29-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She does. Can you post this?
Old 12-01-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fans of Classic Who will be interested in the guest-star in this week's Sarah Jane Adventures, "Enemy of the Bane":
Spoiler:
Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

Great cliffhanger too
Old 12-02-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm really starting to feel like this is 4 more opportunities for RTD to screw up established plots and characters.
Old 12-13-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Watched Journey's End last night on CBC. What a joke. They cut down the episode to fit in a one hour time slot with commercials. They cut out the ending!

If it was anybody's first time watching that episode, I highly recommend that you watch the full version, through whatever means necessary.
Old 12-15-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've actually been watching the second season of Sarah Jane and it is more enjoyable than Torchwood to me.
Old 12-15-08, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you ever see S2 of Torchwood? I actually thought the last few episodes of that were the best of the series. Course then they have to go and end up with the plot the way it did. =/
Old 12-15-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you ever see S2 of Torchwood? I actually thought the last few episodes of that were the best of the series. Course then they have to go and end up with the plot the way it did. =/
Yeah, I have seen all of Season 1 and 2 of Torchwood. Not a bad show but the tone is all over the place and the characters aren't very compelling.
Old 12-15-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
Fans of Classic Who will be interested in the guest-star in this week's Sarah Jane Adventures, "Enemy of the Bane":
Spoiler:
Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

Great cliffhanger too
I just watched this one. Brought back memories of the olden days.
Good episode!!
Old 12-19-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Shazam
Watched Journey's End last night on CBC. What a joke. They cut down the episode to fit in a one hour time slot with commercials. They cut out the ending!

If it was anybody's first time watching that episode, I highly recommend that you watch the full version, through whatever means necessary.
For our friends in the Great White North...
Canadians with broadband internet connections can go to the CBC website http://www.cbc.ca/doctorwho and watch the full version of Journey's End. It is expected up sometime today (December 13). The version shown on CBC TV was edited down to 44 minutes due to the time slot. The video will not work outside of Canada.
Source: http://www.gallifreyone.com/thisweek.php
Old 12-25-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
For our friends in the Great White North...Source: http://www.gallifreyone.com/thisweek.php
Yeah, I knew about that. I just love watching shows in an embedded player with low bitrates!

Anyhoo, just watched The Next Doctor. Cheesy, but David Morrisey was outstanding.
Old 12-25-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was a fun bit, and nice to see the interaction between Tennant and Morrissey. At least it's something to hold us over until the next special at Easter.
Old 12-25-08, 06:41 PM

I agree that Morrisey was outstanding. From the bits that had been released, I was sure I would hate him, but about halfway through I started thinking that I would enjoy him as the next doctor.

The special itself was very enjoyable. I loved how they played on classic Who stuff such as the tardis and screwdriver.
Old 12-26-08, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
I've actually been watching the second season of Sarah Jane and it is more enjoyable than Torchwood to me.
Oh I didn't know there was a second season. I'll have to check that out.
Old 12-26-08, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I liked Morrisey in the special, but I definitely wouldn't like him as the Doctor.
Old 12-26-08, 06:12 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Really enjoyed the xmas special. was expecting to see a doctor changeover but glad it wasn't done at this stage.

Really good story and great characters in this xmas special

had chills when they showed all the past doctors from the info stick
Old 12-26-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
had chills when they showed all the past doctors from the info stick

Ditto.

Very enjoyable episode this year. I really haven't liked the X-Mas specials but this one moved at a great pace and the interplay between Tennant & Morrissey was fun.

Looking forward to the next special.
Old 12-26-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was pretty good. However, I felt a little cheated. Between the intro segment and the previous "fake" regeneration I feel they are taking advantage of the fans. If the news wasn't so obvious I guess it could just be foreshadowing.

I liked the evil lady when she was just a lady, but she seemed a little over the top once transformed. Besides, there wasn't really any explanation given for why she was able to outsmart the system. That part was a little weak.

I did enjoy the interaction between Morrisey and Tennant though. I agree that at first I thought he was a little obnoxious. I found myself thinking, "Umm...maybe I don't want this guy as my next Doctor." Then I found he grew on me a lot throughout the episode.

I find that Davies is good at writing angst, torment and sadness for the Doctor, but he's not any good at coming up with original story lines. All of his "big" scripts rely on rehashing his own or bringing back stock enemies.
Old 12-26-08, 03:31 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i did love the end scene where the doctor was convinced to stay for dinner, that was a nice touch.
Old 12-27-08, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Enjoyed the episode. Especially loved the flashes of all the Doctors and the graphics with the Big Robot. Pretty cool shots.
Old 12-27-08, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed that a lot.

And 'meh' on all the fans out there who're complaining about the giat robot being silly.

Really my only complaint was that it could've been a bit longer to develop the two female characters more.

Between this and the new Wallace & Gromit it was a lovely evenings entertainment indeed.
Old 12-28-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got done watching it, thought it was pretty good. I absolutely loved the montage of the old Doctors. Don't think I'd want to see Morrisey taking over the role though.
Old 12-29-08, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was pretty boring. The post-RTD era can't start soon enough.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.