Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Series 4 (BBC) General Discussion [includes spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Doctor Who Series 4 (BBC) General Discussion [includes spoilers]

Okay, figured as we're nearing a new Christmas Day special it was time for a new thread.

All I have to say about the new promo is:
Spoiler:
Aww hell no! Titanic in space.
How f'in cool is that?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/ [Day 8 for new promo]
Old 12-15-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's now another promo on the BBC site at Day 14.
Old 12-26-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hopefully you're tuning in from the S3 thread.

3) I thought it was pretty good. I figured something was going to happen after she asked for permission. I liked how the kid on the bridge became more involved. "Take me to your leader." rofl

4) I agree it wasn't the best, but I thought it was enough to keep us going until April.

5) Didn't really like the new into music. I hope it was a one-off because KM was on. If any of you have the S3 dvds, watch the "Music and Monsters" extra. Really great stuff, and it goes to show why I didn't like the new intro.

6) I was surprised there was so much material from S4 shown. I suppose it's from the front half of the series?

7)
Unofficial figures show that the 2007 Christmas special Voyage of the Damned was watched by 12.2 million viewers, a 50% share of the total television audience. This is the highest rating the show has achieved since its return in 2005.
Crazy if you really think about the population size of the UK. If they are around 33 million, that would be the equivalent of ~120M people in the United States watching the same program at once. I don't think the Superbowl even draws those figures!!
Old 12-26-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Didn't realize there was a Series 4 Thread already. Thought we were waiting until it "officically" started in April/May.

Here's what I posted in the Series 3 Thread:

Just watched this year's X-Mas episode (Voyage of the Damned). It was okay. Nothing really to rave about (IMO) and felt a tad too long. But then, that's exactly how I felt about all the X-Mas Specials so far. They tend to wear out their welcome after the 50 minute mark.

I did enjoy the revamp of the opening theme. Sounded more "rock-oriented" and "pounding." The Season 4 teaser wetted my whistle enough to keep me satisfied until April/May.
Old 12-26-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I always consider the X-mas episodes part of the season, perhaps in part because they include them in that years dvd set.
Old 12-27-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Didn't realize there was a Series 4 Thread already. Thought we were waiting until it "officically" started in April/May.
Does seem a bit early considering there is no LEGAL method of seeing this episode or S4 until BBC America starts airing it.

I personally was disappointed to see the S3 thread technically "done" in terms of discussion by the time it had aired in the US. I guess I can expect the same inability to discuss S4. When in finally airs here, each episode will have been thoroughly discussed, and this thread will be more that 6 pages and chock full of spoilers.
Old 12-27-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Does seem a bit early considering there is no LEGAL method of seeing this episode or S4 until BBC America starts airing it.

I personally was disappointed to see the S3 thread technically "done" in terms of discussion by the time it had aired in the US. I guess I can expect the same inability to discuss S4. When in finally airs here, each episode will have been thoroughly discussed, and this thread will be more that 6 pages and chock full of spoilers.
Yes, that is a pain. I was in the same boat with S3. I'd make some comments, but it wasn't much of an active discussion since much had alreaedy been talked about.

Also, is there a rule that says this is all US based? It seems like a fair number of users are in the UK that watch some of this as it airs.
Old 12-27-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read that religious groups are not happy about certain religious elements with the story and that the last surviving member of the Titanic thinks they are making a joke out of a tragedy.
Old 12-27-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I read that religious groups are not happy about certain religious elements with the story and that the last surviving member of the Titanic thinks they are making a joke out of a tragedy.
Odd. I didn't think anything was funny about it, or that they were poking fun at the Titanic. In fact, when I saw the previews I figured it was a story
Spoiler:
surrounding the original ship; not a reproduction for an alien cruise
. I actually felt the situation lent a lot of similarities to the original (as much as a ship in space can). I don't know...I thought it was a good setting and had some elements of the Posiden Adventure (where were these people complaining about that remake?!) and the S1 The End of the World.
Old 12-28-07, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The Christmas special was complete rubbish. RTD at his usual though. I really didn't need to see the poseidon adventure in the whoverse. A lot of pointless deaths, the lame robot rights was ham fisted gay rights agenda in your face. It was terrible by all accounts.

On the flip side, it was the best Christmas special of the three.
Old 12-28-07, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. Just horrible. IMO the worst xmas episode yet.

I wonder what kind of slave wages people get paid in the future, according to the exchange rate the doctor gave at the end the fat couple only owed about 100 pounds, yet they said it would take 20 years to pay off.
Old 12-28-07, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Hahaha, yeah. RTD is awful when it comes to time. Not to mention the Doctors age.. He past 903 a while back.
Old 12-28-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is a link to the article about the uproar over the episode:

http://www.syfyportal.com/news424570.html
Old 12-28-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I certainly noticed the various messiah references, but this is hardly the first time it's happened in Who. As to the Titanic "uproar", that didn't even cross my mind.
Old 12-28-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
From the "uproar"
It looks like one religious group and the last surviving member of the sinking of the SS Titanic more than 80 years ago aren't too happy with the Christmas special of "Doctor Who." The special, which aired Tuesday on BBC, is said to not only feature David Tennant's The Doctor as a "messiah," but also as a way to make light of the sinking of the Titanic.

"The Titanic was a tragedy which tore so many families apart," said Millvina Dean, who at 95 is the last surviving survivor of the Titanic sinking. "I lost my father and he lies on that wreck. I think it is disrespectful to make entertainment of such a tragedy."

Dean is now living the rest of her years in nursing home in Britain's Hampshire, according to Scotland's Daily Record. It's not clear if Dean has spoken out against other dramatized versions of the Titanic sinking in the past, but it's quite clear that "Doctor Who" wasn't the first, and won't be the last to mention the sinking of the Titanic back in 1912. She was the youngest member on board the Titanic at 2 months old.
2 months old... makes her an expert.

Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode with George and the other apartment and the Andrea Doria survivor.
Old 12-28-07, 03:36 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
yeah way too much poseiden adventure for me too.

The trailer for Season 4 was cool, i purposely didnt watch it too close and try and analyze it too much
Old 12-29-07, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Worst Christmas episode so far but ok who episode. Didn't move me at all and only had a few laughs. The companion wasn't as good as any of the past ones. I guess she is a famous singer across the pond. She didn't do anything for me, but her boots were nice. The bad guy was a bore but the hosts were ok. I kind of dug the angels turning into to horned demons by removing their halos.

Yeah they were going for the doctor is jesus angel but nothing to get mad over. Not like they haven't done that before.
Old 12-29-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing I will give them kudos for is the production design in the special. They obviously had a good budget with this episode and they actually put it to good use. The CGI wasn't overreaching to distraction and the set, costume and physical effects were all good to. The robots in particular had a nice throwback feel, but also had a nice minimalist design that didn't distract. They were artistic designs instead "robot" designs, ie exposed vacuum tubes and buttons. INFORMATION! Of course even they couldn't escape the script.
Old 12-29-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers to no writers strike in Great Britain!

Kylie Minogue, good thing she is scattered across space, so she can't be in any more episodes, keep to singing! She is a national treasure across the pond tho...

It was an okay episode about 6.5 out of 10. Good that it was new material in this time of reruns and new reality shows....but not nearly up to the last few episodes of this past season...we really need more of the Master!!!
Old 12-29-07, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, did they even see the episode?

Apparently, there is a scene in the episode where The Doctor ascends through the decks of the ship by two robotic angels, and then uses that event to convince the crew that he has the power to save them.
It was a later scene and the crew already knew he could save them, he only used them to get into the impenetrable bridge! What rubbish this article is..I want to speak out about it!
Old 12-29-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 231 Posts
Like all Who Christmas specials, kind of meh--but still better than reruns. And more evil angels; wonder why people aren't up in arms about that too.
Old 01-05-08, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I thought this one was the best of the Xmas Specials, for what that's worth, but I didn't think much of the previous ones.
Old 01-07-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has a premiere date been set for S4?
Old 03-02-08, 03:47 PM

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Has a premiere date been set for S4?
Old 03-02-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Mar 22nd 2008

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.