TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DirecTV -- News and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-19, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 252 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: DirecTV -- News and Updates

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Comcast has certainly had carriage disputes, usually on sports channels. Just Google "Comcast carriage disputes"
Dispute is just negotiation. Always settled. Never ever ever ever in the past 35 years has a channel been dropped or temporarily blacked out on my Comcast. Did find an example of Comcast dropping a regional sports channel, Avalanche Sports. Premium sports channels, that require subscription, maybe, don't know, but that's in pay per view territory and shouldn't count.
Old 09-14-19, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts

MY Dtv news is that I dumped them.
We had Dtv for at least a decade.
before that Verizon Fios.

Now we're on Comcast’s Xfinity.

We we’re paying D about $150 plus $90 for Comcast WiFi so we dumped D and combined on Xfinity to about $150 a month.
we have 150 mbps+ for wifi.

The main reason for the switch was price but we also had enough of the loss of picture during rain and tons of
pixelation on a lot of channels and recordings.
If you google Dtv and pixilation a lot of hits come up and D has no responds.

Do we we have an Xfinity topic?

Old 09-15-19, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 252 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
MY Dtv news is that I dumped them.
We had Dtv for at least a decade.
before that Verizon Fios.

Now we're on Comcast’s Xfinity.

Do we we have an Xfinity topic?

The Xfinity platform runs off the wi-fi. When you are watching live tv you are watching the cable signal but all remote functions, on demand, dvr operate off the wi-fi. If the internet or wi-fi goes out you are stuck on the last channel you were watching but picture is perfect.
Box reboots every day. Usually around 3am.
Use the dvr instead of on demand for shows off commercial networks. You can fast forward recordings but not with on demand.
No weather issues.
This may be local but TvLand, Cozi, Antenna TV, and the Encore movie channels are SD only. But if you watch Encore movies/shows on demand they are HD.
Old 09-15-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main reason for the switch was price but we also had enough of the loss of picture during rain and tons of
pixelation on a lot of channels and recordings.
If you google Dtv and pixilation a lot of hits come up and D has no responds.
I have had Dtv for 20 years and never have had any of the problems you mentioned.

Your problem sounds like either an alignment or equipment issue.
I assume you had a Dtv technician look at it?
Old 09-15-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not alignment or equipment

Had all of it switched out.
This traveled with us when we moved a few years ago.
Its an anomaly.

Search Dtv pixelates and I promise there are people discussing this on other forums.

Old 09-15-19, 11:26 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

I have DTV and during bad storms will get disruption of service. It doesn't happen often, but it happens.
Old 09-15-19, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Received 714 Likes on 473 Posts

Yeah, for sure it would go out in big storms or if the dish got covered in snow. But it was very minor blips compared to what I had from Time-Warner/Spectrum prior to having DTV.

I did give up DTV a year ago - tired of playing the yearly games to reduce the cost - and haven't missed it one bit.
Old 09-15-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not alignment or equipment

Had all of it switched out.
This traveled with us when we moved a few years ago.
Its an anomaly.
Very strange...sorry you had the problem.

Originally Posted by TGM
I have DTV and during bad storms will get disruption of service. It doesn't happen often, but it happens.
Once in a great while I'll have a momentary signal drop during a rain/wind storm, but it's only for a second or 2.
Originally Posted by The Cow
Yeah, for sure it would go out in big storms or if the dish got covered in snow. .
I have had the snow/ice buildup problem when I lived in a climate known for nastiness in the winter.
Usually a broom and some cussing would do the trick...
Old 09-15-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,912 Posts

I have noticed that, for the past couple of months, DirecTV does this weird thing where the image will freeze for a half a second or a second, then will "speed up" to catch up with the audio. It only does this while watching "live." The DVR recordings don't do that. In fact, if I'm watching something live and the freeze/speed-up happens, I can rewind back to that part and that part will play normally. I don't watch much tv live; I mostly timeshift, so it's not a big deal for me.

Another pixelation issue I've had with DirecTV is that during commercial breaks, the screen will break up and freeze for thirty seconds or so, then resume normally. I can also FF through this on a recording or live. I'm guessing they're trying to insert commercials and failing.
Old 09-15-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,683 Likes on 2,650 Posts

Apparently the Lower 3rd crawl warning has been removed from ESPN, so signs point to the crisis being averted.

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/cri...zA1tk_ieGOL-TM
Old 09-16-19, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 734 Likes on 599 Posts

I watched football night in America on KNTV NBC 11 on Directv and the picture quality looks terrible on a 4K 82" TV.

It is probably a 1080i signal but HBO and Showtime are a lot better when it comes to picture quality.
Old 09-16-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,542 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Yeah, for sure it would go out in big storms or if the dish got covered in snow. But it was very minor blips compared to what I had from Time-Warner/Spectrum prior to having DTV.

I did give up DTV a year ago - tired of playing the yearly games to reduce the cost - and haven't missed it one bit.
I'm curious if you cut the cord entirely, because I'm pretty sure cable does the same shenanigans of threatening to cancel, switching out, becoming a new customer and then treated like royalty for a year.
Old 09-16-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I watched football night in America on KNTV NBC 11 on Directv and the picture quality looks terrible on a 4K 82" TV.

It is probably a 1080i signal but HBO and Showtime are a lot better when it comes to picture quality.
Your display should have a button that reveals the source format...
Old 09-16-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

If you have the old-style Directv remote, you can just push the format button. There is also a button that changes it on the front of the Directv receiver.
Old 09-16-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think all of DirectTV's HD content in 1080i, but the quality of the encoding/compression can vary a lot depending on the source.

Generally, I think this is out of DirecTV's hands; some of my HD channels look much better than others. My local Fox Network affiliate has a generally poor picture quality (the X-Files reboot, in particular, looked very sub-par, worse than DVD) and its programs take up less space on my DVR. But other local channels, like CBS, ABC, and NBC, look much better. I notice the same variation with cable channels as well.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 09-16-19 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-16-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think all of DirectTV's HD content in 1080i, but the quality of the encoding/compression can vary a lot depending on the source.

Generally, I think this out of DirecTV's hands; some of my HD channels look much better than others. My local Fox Network affiliate has a generally poor picture quality (the X-Files reboot, in particular, looked very sub-par, worse than DVD) and its programs take up less space on my DVR. But other local channels, like CBS, ABC, and NBC, look much better. I notice the same variation with cable channels as well.
All of their content might be 1080i but you still have to tell your receiver/DVR which formats your TV can accept, and even after that you can still accidentally set your receiver to output something less than ideal. I'm not saying that is his problem for sure, but it is definitely possible to do.
Old 09-16-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

HD broadcast content on DTV is available in either 720p or 1080i, depending on what the source material it is broadcast in. You can limit what the receiver will output by telling it what your display supports, for instance if you set your output to 1080i only (uncheck 720p) the receiver will convert 720p to 1080i for your display. You can also choose 'native' which means the receiver will output the source resolution (1080p, 720p, 1080i, 480i, etc) unchanged as long as your display settings say it supports them.
Old 09-16-19, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It shows up as 1080i but I think FOX and ABC still do or did 720p for a long time though it says 1080i on the display.
Old 09-16-19, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My local CBS and NBC stations broadcast over the air at 1080i (I think, could be 1080p) but the ABC affiliate has a 720p signal. Last I checked, though. It's hard for me to pick stuff up with an antenna, and I haven't tried on in years.

Don't know if this means my local ABC is also in 720p on DirecTV, but it shows up at 1080i so it's either 1080i native or they're upscaling it. The picture does look a little soft sometimes.

I do notice that my DirecTV image on all of the locals isn't nearly as good as it was on over-the-air, so I'm assuming they're compressing the signal.
Old 09-16-19, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think someone already said that with Dtv you can go into setting and change everything to native.
everything connected to Disney - ABC, FOX etc is 720p
Almoat everything else is 1080i.

From what I see in settings with the Xfinity box you pick one and that’s what everything is.
Old 09-17-19, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From what I see in settings with the Xfinity box you pick one and that’s what everything is.
Assuming that is the case, I will never opt for Xfinity until "native" is offered.
Having Xfinity STB tech doing the scaling is a horrible situation for a videophile.
Old 10-31-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Directv is dropping ESPN Classic on Nov 30
Old 10-31-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What’s on that? Nothing that’s actually classic plus only an sd feed?
Old 10-31-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

What’s on that? Nothing that’s actually classic plus only an sd feed?
I've seen some interesting stuff listed on the channel's program guide at times but the SD feed was always a deal-breaker. So yeah, if they can't bother to carry it in HD then get rid of it.
Old 10-31-19, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Directv is dropping ESPN Classic on Nov 30
I think they might get it back because I talked to customer service from Direct TV and they said it was up for renewal.

I watched it a lot back 10 years ago when they showed wrestling late every weeknight(mostly AWA then the subpar Global Wrestling Federation).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.