Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DirecTV -- News and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting a good laugh at the new Time Warner Cable commercial. They know they're not keeping up with satellite for number of HD channels (at least, not at this time), so their new ad states "more Free HD channels than satellite".

Well, I guess that's true.
Old 04-02-08, 05:52 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Washington, D.C. (April 2, 2008) -- DIRECTV today is adding three new Disney-owned High-Definition channels to its high-def lineup.

The channels are: ESPNews HD (ch. 207); Disney Channel HD (290); and Toon Disney HD (292).

The channels are expected to be added to the satcaster's lineup this morning, DIRECTV has already included the three channels in its programming guide at its web site.

Update: The channels were added to DIRECTV's lineup at 6 a.m. ET

The three additions are the first HD channel launches from DIRECTV in 2008. The satcaster dramatically expanded its high-def lineup in 2007, from nine national HD channels to 92. Today's additions will give DIRECTV 95 national HD channels.

The ESPN sports channel launched on Sunday, but apparently had not been picked up by any cable or satellite provider until now. Disney Channel HD and Toon Disney HD are also new channel launches.

Comcast and Time Warner have also said they will launch ESPNews HD at some point and Comcast has said Disney Channel HD will be added in Seattle.

Dish Network is reportedly planning to add ESPNews HD as well, but as of 5 a.m. ET today, there has been no confirmation of that.
Old 04-02-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
They also changed Food Network and HGTV from -1 channels to true HD simulcasts.
Old 04-02-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the old Food Network HD schedule. They had different programs going on at different times from regular FN channel.
Old 04-26-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but I got a voice mail a week or so ago from DirecTV. They were offering to upgrade my HD-DVR & Dish for free since I get the NFL Ticket with Superfan(HD games). Called the number they left last night, and CSR wanted to charge me $99 if I wanted to keep my old HD-DVR. I had zero commitment left, so I said no thanks.
Called for a technical issue today, and after that was fixed, asked if he could help me with the free upgrade. He got me set up, and is letting me keep my current HD-DVR. I didn't any extra free stuff like some people reported in the past, but I'm happy to just get the free hardware.
Old 04-26-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Just so you know, eventually your old HD-DVR (I'm assuming it's the HD-Tivo) will be obsolete for any HD content other than OTA stuff. The channels in the 70's - 90's are going away, probably by the end of the year. It's going from West to East, so you probably have until the end of the year.
Old 04-26-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Just so you know, eventually your old HD-DVR (I'm assuming it's the HD-Tivo) will be obsolete for any HD content other than OTA stuff. The channels in the 70's - 90's are going away, probably by the end of the year. It's going from West to East, so you probably have until the end of the year.
Yeah, I was aware, wasn't sure of the "when". I asked for 2 new ones now, but he said he couldn't do it. But he said, call back in about a month and they might be able to do something. We'll see. If I don't get a another HD-DVR by the time it's all mpeg4, I could probably settle for a free HD receiver.
Old 04-26-08, 08:53 PM

I'm currently pondering a possible jump from Time Warner to Direct TV. I've been dealing with problems with TWC boxes for a while now. I just bought my first HDTV and have had to settle with them for now. Most of the time, their shit finds some way to mess up. Plus, their lineup stinks for HD. Can any Direct TV customers here please school me on how to start up with them? Do I need to pay for a year's worth of service in advance or anything like that?
Old 04-26-08, 09:44 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveOVig
I'm currently pondering a possible jump from Time Warner to Direct TV. I've been dealing with problems with TWC boxes for a while now. I just bought my first HDTV and have had to settle with them for now. Most of the time, their shit finds some way to mess up. Plus, their lineup stinks for HD. Can any Direct TV customers here please school me on how to start up with them? Do I need to pay for a year's worth of service in advance or anything like that?
I think the deal going now for new DirecTV customers is something like $55/mo. for a year for the top package. It's normally $75, IIRC.

Not sure what they'll charge you for an HD-DVR - probably no more than $100, you might be able to get it for next to nothing with some haggling (ask them what they can offer you to get you to switch from Time Warner, don't sound over enthused to switch).

The only 2 things where cable is better than DTV, IMO: losing the signal in really heavy rainstorms (it happens maybe 5 times a year for me, and then only for 5-10 minutes usually) and having to pay $5 a month for each receiver after your first.
Old 04-26-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The channels in the 70's - 90's are going away, probably by the end of the year.

are you just talking about the networks? all of the hd channels in the 70's that don't have counterparts like hdnet, hdnet movies, will they still be around?
Old 04-27-08, 08:22 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kevin75
are you just talking about the networks? all of the hd channels in the 70's that don't have counterparts like hdnet, hdnet movies, will they still be around?
They will be around, but only in MPEG4. They'll probably move them to the 200s, I'd guess.
Old 04-28-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
If I don't get a another HD-DVR by the time it's all mpeg4, I could probably settle for a free HD receiver.
What?

I couldn't imagine going from my HD-DVR to a regular HD receiver. I've been hooked on having a DVR since the early days of Tivo. I miss the Tivo software but DirecTV's version isn't too bad. I'm running beta software on it and getting video on demand through my broadband connection, 30 second commercial skip, etc.
Old 08-14-08, 10:22 AM
Suspended

New channels this morning, per DBS Talk:

* 286: Planet Green HD
* 311: ABC Family HD
* 541: Showtime Showcase HD
* 542: Showtime Extreme HD
* 646: FSN South
* 647: FSN Midwest
* 649: Sport South
* 653: Sun Sports
* 659: FSN Pittsburgh
* 668: FSN North
* 683: FSN Rocky Mountain
* 686: FSN Arizona
* 687: FSN Northwest

Plus 18 new PPV channels (exciting )

Happy to have ABC Family HD finally. When's Kyle XY start?

Last edited by aktick; 08-14-08 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-14-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just wish DirecTV/cable/FIOS/U-Verse would follow Dish's lead and start offering cheaper "HD-only" packages.
Old 08-14-08, 12:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chew
I just wish DirecTV/cable/FIOS/U-Verse would follow Dish's lead and start offering cheaper "HD-only" packages.
Agreed, paying ~$75 a month for the 15 or so non-local channels I ever watch is a bit annoying. Hell, I haven't watched ESPN since football season, and then the only time I'll watch it is if the Badgers or Packers are on. Wasn't it always the most expensive channel for cable/satellite providers? Ala cart (which I know is a pipe dream) would look pretty good right about now.
Old 08-14-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
The RSNs were already available in subchannels, they're just going 24/7 now (no more dash one).

The most important part of the update is that the new satellite is up and running (and way ahead of schedule). We should see more channels trickling in regularly now. Here's hoping for AMC-HD sometime before this season of Mad Men ends and CSN-NW sometime before Blazers season starts...
Old 08-14-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, thanks... Good news!!!
Old 08-14-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
This is somewhat related to this thread. I know there was an announcement recently that more areas were going to be getting local channels in HD by the end of the year. I am in one of the areas set to finally get locals in HD. Once that happens, I will make the Direct switch.

Anyway, does anyone know if Direct has a page that announces these types of updates? Or a sign-up for notification for when my area gets the locals in HD? I didn't see anything like that, but I realize that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to periodically go to the site and check my zip code. I just wish I knew something a little more than by the end of the year. If I knew that it actually meant October for my area rather than December, I might actually go ahead and place my order and keep my cable service concurrently for a month or so.
Old 08-14-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

www.dbstalk.com

On the front page they have every announcement from Dish and DirecTV. Includes when they add new local markets.
Old 08-15-08, 10:20 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Good news about more channels, but nothing I'll ever watch

I'm pretty much just waiting for either Setanta or FSC to go HD and I'm content.
Old 08-15-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
www.dbstalk.com

On the front page they have every announcement from Dish and DirecTV. Includes when they add new local markets.
That's perfect! Thank you so much for that.
Old 08-16-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk God

No problem.
Old 08-16-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew

I'll believe it when I see it. DISH needed a hook and they've offered it. DirecTV already has a hook - the NFL. Obviously the cable-outlets already have their hook - all the people who can't get a dish for whatever reason.
Old 08-16-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk God

While I don't like paying for channels I'd never use, that Dish Turbo HD is a crock of shit if you start analyzing the true cost of it.
Old 08-16-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
While I don't like paying for channels I'd never use, that Dish Turbo HD is a crock of shit if you start analyzing the true cost of it.
Like I said in that other thread (about people cutting back to OTA), it makes perfect sense for a main television if you don't DVR and can hook up an antenna separately to that tv and other tvs in your home. Otherwise, yeah - if you want multiple boxes and/or not every tv is HD and want to record, it's not a good deal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.