TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Amazing Race 4 premier date May 29

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a great interview with Flo from Feburary of this year:
http://www.realitynewsonline.com/cgi...763.art&page=1

She claims that all her fits were just her method of motivating Zach.
Old 05-01-03, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a different opinion of when it will start - I hope it's wrong

http://www.theamazingracesucks.com/t...ews.shtml#1119

Analysis: 'The Amazing Race 4' delayed until fall?

Reported by: AyaK on 04-25-2003

Questions about when CBS will air the fourth edition of its high-class reality TV show The Amazing Race continue to swirl around the world. CBS had initially announced that the show would be aired beginning March 12, and this information was dutifully reported on sites elsewhere in the world. However, as March came and went, broadcasters elsewhere were forced to alter their plans.

The Asian TV network AXN posted a Web page explaining that CBS had delayed the show and that the new tentative broadcast time was June-August 2003 (see the answer to the second question). In a discussion with CBS promotion sources this week, however, RealityTVWorld.com was informed that the show's air time has still not been confirmed.

Since much of the summer schedule has already been announced, and since the open casting calls for Big Brother 4, also scheduled to be aired on CBS this summer, just closed, we wondered what this lack of a schedule could mean. So we contacted online reality TV expert Paul Decker for an analysis of the situation. Here are his comments:

"My opinion is that CBS will hold The Amazing Race 4 until the start of the 2004 season in September 2003. By so doing, CBS thinks it will receive two benefits. First, by that point, it hopes that a lot of the lousy reality TV shows being rush-developed by the networks as part of the "reality boom" will have played themselves out. Second, CBS hopes that the world will be safe for global traveling again."

"This summer schedule is crowded with quicky reality projects, but every producer thinks he or she has the next Survivor or American Idol. CBS head Les Moonves has commented several times that, in Survivor and The Amazing Race, his network has the gold standards for reality shows. He's right, and it doesn't seem likely that CBS will turn one of its gold standards into a summer replacement to give legitimacy to the newcomers."

"More importantly, the producers of The Amazing Race probably want to start producing the next series while the current series is airing. However, The Amazing Race is the most dangerous reality show to film globally. The contestants travel with a cameraman and a soundman in four-person packs that spend a lot of their time lost and mingling in foreign countries. These packs have no real protection from any type of hostility or terrorism. Thus, you simply could not film this show during the build-up to Operation Iraqi Freedom or during the immediate aftermath. And now we have the global SARS scare, which puts China, Singapore and Hong Kong off-limits."

"The only way this show is going to appear on the fall schedule is either if CBS films a "quickie" version after SARS is contained, but it hasn't even started to cast that yet, or if CBS holds the existing series for fall broadcast."

Decker also thinks that making the show into a summer replacement, as CBS has done with Big Brother, would prove politically impossible for CBS. "Jerry Bruckheimer produces the CSI franchise for CBS as well as The Amazing Race. It's impossible for me to believe that CBS would choose to antagonize him by knocking this show off the fall schedule."

We'll keep you advised as to whether the facts ultimately support Decker's opinions.

Chris
Old 05-02-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It may not be as much fun as seeing them trek around the globe but they could put on "The Amazing Race - in America." Shot entirely in America. That would eliminate the war and SARS scare for the most part.
Old 05-02-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
It's officially on for May 29 according to a post from a local affliate CBS source over at TWoP.

About. Freaking. Time.

Let's hope it does well serving as the lead-in for CSI on a very strong night for CBS.
Old 05-02-03, 01:48 PM

I keep forgetting Bruckheimer is the man behind the show. One would think his mega-clout at CBS is the main reason we still have TAR around.

I just hope whenever they actually air TAR4 none of the contestants refer to things too far in the past. It would suck to hear them say things likes, "when the war starts" or something like that.

I think an all-American TAR would be fine. It might actually draw more viewers who see places more recognizeable. If they're really thinking of limiting the scope of the show, how about a North American version? Mexico, US, Canada, SARS...oh wait...
Old 05-02-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those dirty, germ-infested Canucks!
Old 05-02-03, 04:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by pezboy
I just hope whenever they actually air TAR4 none of the contestants refer to things too far in the past. It would suck to hear them say things likes, "when the war starts" or something like that.
How often do the contestants discuss current events? Usually the most insightful conversation is along the lines of "Hey! You stole my cab!" Even if somebody does make a dated remark, it could always be edited out.
Old 05-02-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Old 05-05-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
90 minute premier confirmed, and teams announced.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race4/
Old 05-05-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Struz
Yessssss !

I've really missed this show.
Better than Survivor, IMO.

Do you think they will have one each of the usual teams:

twins
black
gay team
frat brothers
Here's the token black team:

Monica, 29, and a mother of two, was once an Indianapolis Colts cheerleader and holds a BA in Journalism from Indiana University, Indianapolis. She enjoys "tennis, acting and watching movies" and considers herself "outgoing, fun-loving and very competitive." She fears snakes, bugs and rats, and in conversation, "anything gross is off-limits." Monica admits to letting her emotions affect her better judgment. She doesn't like cold climates, understands a little Spanish, and had traveled to Antigua, Jamaica, Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.

Sheree, 31, has three kids and describes herself as "outgoing, friendly and patient" and "loves experiencing new cultures and adventures." Whereas her teammate Monica is completely organized, Sheree says she's the complete opposite. She holds a BA in Journalism from the University of Louisville and has had some college experience in television production. Sheree fears "dangerous animals, reptiles and weird-looking men," and anything is game in conversation for her, "unless bodily fluids are being discussed." She speaks "very little French" and has traveled to Paris, Amsterdam, Spain, the Caribbean and Mexico. Sheree blows off steam with a long bubble bath and a "glass of wine…okay, a bottle," and admits that she trusts people way too much and sometimes gets burned. She adds, "I have short-term will power."

Here's the token gay team:

Twenty-eight-year-old Reichen is a pilot and manages a flight school in Los Angeles. A former Air Force pilot, he is married to his teammate Chip. He loves skiing and flying and is very into being physically fit. He describes himself as "detail-oriented, caring and thrill-seeking." He speaks French and has traveled internationally quite a bit. Chip is disappointed that his partner is insecure about his "very liberal sexual views." He enjoys flirting with other guys, but that makes Chip upset. He likens himself to Ben Affleck--"intense"--and says Chip is like Bruce Willis: "steady and true." Reichen says he never procrastinates; he gets things done NOW.

Chip is 36 years old and is the president of a media company that mainly produces music-related projects. He attended Yale and Harvard Business School. He loves hiking in the mountains and participating in triathlons." He describes himself as "determined, free thinking and mindful." He says he is like Winston Churchill: "steady…never say no; anything is possible." Chip lived in Hong Kong for three years, in Paris for six months and in London for two years. He is in great physical shape.

Could be another father/gay son team:

Forty-seven-year-old Steve is a supervisor at a juvenile detention facility in Santa Barbara. His biggest accomplishment is his 22-year marriage to Karen. He is a big fan of THE AMAZING RACE, and when Karen challenged him to go on the show with Josh, it all became clear: father and son needed this trip together. Plus, according to Steve, Josh is really smart and in great physical shape. Steve went to Los Angeles to talk with Josh about it, and found him camped out on Hollywood Boulevard (he had been there for days) waiting for the newest Star Wars movie to premiere. According to Steve, Josh was ecstatic when he asked him to be his teammate on the Race. Since then, Steve has been training by walking miles with a backpack every day. He likens himself to Andy Griffith on Mayberry RFD. He loves to eat, and wishes he had more willpower not to. He and Josh share a love of comic books, and Josh turned him on to building superhero models. He prides himself on being a good negotiator and on being able to ******** through anything."

Josh, 21, is a computer technician and is attending a junior college. His hobbies include skateboarding, music and meeting new people. He describes himself as "different, free and happy." When he was younger, Josh raised steers for the Ventura County Fair and won a prize for a bull-calf. He lists this as an accomplishment he is very proud of, along with the fact that he once ate an entire bowl of butter for a dollar and never threw up. Josh is disappointed that until recently, his relationship with his father was so bad that he missed out on a lot. He has a mischievous side and loves to "stir things up." He and his dad share a "messed up sense of humor" and are both very stubborn, but comfortable with themselves. In terms of differences, Josh says, "My old man is soooo conservative it often times drives me insane. I am the polar opposite. My liberal ways are a complete 180 degrees from the way my father intended to raise me." This father/son team should be very interesting to watch make their way around the world!

Could be the hot girl team:

Tian, 30, is an model/actress/singer who "needs to be the center of attention," according to her teammate, Jaree. Tian likes to skydive, surf, stunt-drive and jump horses, adding that she's "fearless, wild and adventurous." She also has one of the highest IQs of all contestants, though she's only completed "some college." She lived in Paris for six months, has traveled to Switzerland, France, Spain, Colombia, Trinidad, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, St. Tropez and St. Bart's, but speaks no foreign languages. Tian fears sharks and heights, but after having done aerial acrobatics in an L30 Russian Fighter Jet, a fear of heights may not be such an issue. Although these teammates say, "We like to run our mouths, lay out by the pool and check out hot guys," Tian usually doesn't approve of Jaree's choice in men. Jaree has a "more controlling" personality, and Tian is free-spirited and "in it for the adventure."

Jaree, 33, is a model/actress who spent eight years traveling for work in Europe and the Middle East. A junior college graduate, she speaks no foreign languages and describes herself as the "outgoing, hyper and adventurous" type. Jaree enjoys water sports, precision driving, and horseback riding. She was disappointed when she found out that her teammate, Tian, "likes girls." Jaree got over it, but admits that if Tian ever hit on her, it'd be over between them. She enjoys drinking with her teammate, and says that their worst experience together was getting kicked out of a bar in Geneva: some guy grabbed Jaree, so she punched him out, breaking his glasses. Jaree fears cockroaches and being lost. According to her teammate, Jaree is "very controlling."
Old 05-05-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forgot:

Soccor Moms
Old Couple
Old 05-05-03, 11:17 AM

do not forget the team of clowns
Old 05-05-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And of course the obligatory team of virgins.

Millie and Chuck, dating 12 years, virgins.

Millie, 29, works as an Environmental Teacher at the Tennessee Aquarium and describes herself as a motivated, fun, daredevil/adventurer with no fears, except for mayonnaise: she hates the stuff. She holds a BA in Communication Arts from Bryan College in Dayton, Tennessee, and his lived in Taiwan, teaching English, and traveled to Israel and Russia. Speaks French, conversational Chinese and some Russian. Millie was once on the Tonight Show after Leno bumped into her and her roommate and asked them to "say stupid Baywatch lines in our shower--in bikinis--which we did," so she has a wild side somewhere deep down. She enjoys volleyball, water skiing, rollerblading, snorkeling and swimming, and blows off steam by running, talking (or fighting) with Chuck, praying, and reading the Bible. Millie believes her man Chuck is "hotter than Brad Pitt." On the downside, her man can also be too "anal and meticulous." Millie admits that she's bad with money, too often speaks before she thinks, and that they're both afraid to commit.

Chuck, 28, a self-employed Tennessean, has most recently worked as a valet, hauler, construction worker and personal trainer. A physically active guy, Chuck holds a BS in Exercise Science fro the University of Tennessee, Chattanooga, and enjoys playing tennisand skiing. Chuck likes traveling, but has only been to Mexico and Canada. He speaks no foreign languages. Self-described as being "random, deliverte and kind." His only fears while traveling are "criminals if I had to sleep outsidel." Considers himself more "slow and deliberate" than his teammate, Millie, whme he says is "more fearless" and "less thoughtful" than himself. Chuck tries to remain calm under pressure or if upset, but admits to having a "unique pouting manner."
Old 05-05-03, 03:47 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
12 years?! Geez. That's radiculos. And who would name their kids Tian OR Jaree, anyways?
Old 05-05-03, 03:50 PM

It looks like they rolled the Soccer Moms and the Black Team into one group this time. Presumably to make room for the couple who are pretending to be virgins.
Old 05-05-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Static Cling
12 years?! Geez. That's radiculos. And who would name their kids Tian OR Jaree, anyways?
Yes it is. They need to get married and have sex.
Old 05-05-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good lord I hope everybody refers to them as Team Virgin the whole season. That will just make my day everytime I hear it.
Old 05-05-03, 06:06 PM

Where are the token twins? Where's the fun in being able to tell all of the contestants apart?

Ah, who'm I kidding? I'm just glad to finally have an airdate for TAR.
Old 05-05-03, 07:51 PM
Admin Emeritus

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I predict funny from Steve/Dave, the pair of air traffic controllers.

And I predict hotness from Russell/Cindy... well, Cindy, the former supermodel, at least. She has kind of an ET neck, though. And weren't Russell & Cindy the names of the pastor duo on TAR2?

Old 05-05-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

12 years!?!

Where do they find these people?
Old 05-05-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Struz

Could be another father/gay son team:

Forty-seven-year-old Steve is a supervisor at a juvenile detention facility in Santa Barbara. His biggest accomplishment is his 22-year marriage to Karen. He is a big fan of THE AMAZING RACE, and when Karen challenged him to go on the show with Josh, it all became clear: father and son needed this trip together. Plus, according to Steve, Josh is really smart and in great physical shape. Steve went to Los Angeles to talk with Josh about it, and found him camped out on Hollywood Boulevard (he had been there for days) waiting for the newest Star Wars movie to premiere. According to Steve, Josh was ecstatic when he asked him to be his teammate on the Race. Since then, Steve has been training by walking miles with a backpack every day. He likens himself to Andy Griffith on Mayberry RFD. He loves to eat, and wishes he had more willpower not to. He and Josh share a love of comic books, and Josh turned him on to building superhero models. He prides himself on being a good negotiator and on being able to ******** through anything."

Josh, 21, is a computer technician and is attending a junior college. His hobbies include skateboarding, music and meeting new people. He describes himself as "different, free and happy." When he was younger, Josh raised steers for the Ventura County Fair and won a prize for a bull-calf. He lists this as an accomplishment he is very proud of, along with the fact that he once ate an entire bowl of butter for a dollar and never threw up. Josh is disappointed that until recently, his relationship with his father was so bad that he missed out on a lot. He has a mischievous side and loves to "stir things up." He and his dad share a "messed up sense of humor" and are both very stubborn, but comfortable with themselves. In terms of differences, Josh says, "My old man is soooo conservative it often times drives me insane. I am the polar opposite. My liberal ways are a complete 180 degrees from the way my father intended to raise me." This father/son team should be very interesting to watch make their way around the world!

Josh is one of my best friends! He was sworn to secrecy about this until today, he told us all he was camping in Colorado with his dad for a month. He wants me to set the record straight that he's not gay, but actually I think this is more fun.
Old 05-05-03, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by tor_greg
Josh is one of my best friends!
You'll have to give us all the inside poop! I thought you might know the guy when it mentioned that he camped out for Star Wars.
Old 05-05-03, 10:52 PM

I know Josh, too. I was only 11th in line, poor poor me, but that's still many many hours with him him (gah, I can't stop doubling my words...) I seriously doubt he's gay. I must share any giggles associated with his posted mini-biography, though. Especially given the way they've put everything in quotation marks.

Greg, you've been here since *how* long ago?
Old 05-05-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by djbrown
90 minute premier confirmed, and teams announced.
This is the best news I've heard since learning the Flyers got eliminated this afternoon. And only a couple weeks after Survivor ends, but still on the same night and time, so I will not have to re-program my VCR.

And my official before-I-know-anything-about-anything pick for winner is Jon and Al.
Old 05-06-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Lloannna
Greg, you've been here since *how* long ago?
Date Registered: 04-21-00 (I have many more posts here than I do at the LU.N boards :P )

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.