Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

I can't help but think back on an old New Rules segment that hit the nail on the head: While you idiots went nuts about stupid shit against people on your own side, the other side elected Donald Trump.

Last edited by Gunde; 06-03-17 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-03-17, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
I can't help but think back on an old New Rules segment that hit the nail on the head: While you idiots go nuts about stupid shit against people on your side, the other side elected Donald Trump.
That's the problem, you view things in terms of people being on "your side."

Maher is anti-Trump, but it seems he shares an anti-Muslim bias with the people who elected Donald Trump. People like Trump, Milo, and Maher help make prejudice against Muslims mainstream and acceptable.
Old 06-03-17, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie

Maher is anti-Trump, but it seems he shares an anti-Muslim bias with the people who elected Donald Trump. People like Trump, Milo, and Maher help make prejudice against Muslims mainstream and acceptable.
Milo and Trump are anti-muslim but pro-christianity, Maher is anti-organized religion, Islam doesn't get a free pass. So while the right pushes for conversion to and the following of Christian principals, He mostly tries to normalize the fact that religion is a form of brainwashing.

Regardless, hopefully this all ultimately blows over, because in this context it is incredibly silly.
Old 06-03-17, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I can't help but think back on an old New Rules segment that hit the nail on the head: While you idiots went nuts about stupid shit against people on your own side, the other side elected Donald Trump.
I might be liberal, but Maher is a fucking asshole, and I don't consider anyone who's an asshole on "my side".
Old 06-03-17, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
When was the last time DL Hughley was actually relevant?
Never
Old 06-04-17, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Milo and Trump are anti-muslim but pro-christianity, Maher is anti-organized religion, Islam doesn't get a free pass. So while the right pushes for conversion to and the following of Christian principals, He mostly tries to normalize the fact that religion is a form of brainwashing.
He goes after Islam much harder, and even says that it's worse than Christianity.

It's very clear he regards Islam as much more dangerous than other religions.

Bill Maher's statements about Islam and Muslims

He also wonders where are the moderate Muslims joining up to fight against ISIS.

Sam Harris: Islam is the mother load of bad ideas...

Bill Maher: It's just a fact!

It's funny you bring up Milo since he agrees with Bill Maher's fear of the "Islamization of Europe," and Maher was lavishing praise on Yiannopoulos when he was on his show.

It's okay when my side does it, but not when your side does it.

Last edited by brayzie; 06-04-17 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-04-17, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty sure that Bill Maher was using "House *****" incorrectly, like to denote that he's not cut out for manual labor, whereas I thought "House Negro" was like an insult for a black person who supported white supremacy in order to live a slightly better life.

Old 06-04-17, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Variety (Maureen Ryan) - ‘Real Time’ Doesn’t Need to Go, But Bill Maher Should Be Fired

HBO should continue to air a roundtable show about current events, a forum for the witty and wise to air their views, complete with F-bombs. But Bill Maher shouldn’t be part of it. Whether or not “Real Time” continues, Maher should be fired.
Old 06-04-17, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where were these calls for HBO firing Maher when he was being sexist and an Islamophobe?

I would think that Maher implying there's varying degrees of "blackness" is more racist than referring to himself as a "house n----."
Old 06-04-17, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I wish Maher wouldn't have apologized as it's just continues the precedent that the mobs on social media can eat anyone alive for anything they deem offensive. Joan Rivers never apologized once for any joke that people deemed offensive and she did a lot of Holocaust jokes. If you don't like what Maher said, then don't fucking listen to him!

Lenny Bruce & George Carlin are rolling over in their grave.....
Old 06-04-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Anyone else noticed that Bill's tongue is always discolored? Wonder what that's from
Old 06-04-17, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maher has used the n word on his show before but since now everyone has their panties in a bunch no one complained. I weep for the present.
Old 06-04-17, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The thing is I'd understand if he went off on some angry tirade or something and had a history being a racist. It should be evident to people who watch his show regularly and aren't just taking a clip that's gone viral that the use of the word in this instance while maybe not appropriate isn't an attitude he has against African Americans and something he'd say because he really meant it in an offensive way. Hell as others have mentioned if you want to accuse him of anything he's more anti-Muslim but that's really fitting in with his anti-religion in general attitude that he's had for ages.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-04-17 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

A few years ago, Bill Maher said on his show something to the effect that it's ridiculous how "The N-word" is required and if someone white instead just says the actual word, then they are labelled as a "racist" so he was going to ignore that and just say it on his show from then on.

And he's right - saying a word does not make someone a racist. That's just stupid. It is also so absurd that anyone thinks that way are very hypocritical to then label someone with a derogatory smear term like "racist" (or "The R-word") due to it.

Last edited by dhmac; 06-04-17 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Anyone else noticed that Bill's tongue is always discolored? Wonder what that's from
I kind of missed New Rules last night because I was staring at his mouth, wondering why his bottom teeth looked blue. Is he eating candy just before he goes on-stage?

I agree the "house ******" joke seemed to come out of no-where. If the discussion had something to do with race it would have felt more natural. Bill just heard Virginia and immediately jumped to slave times.

Even still, this is less about people being upset about what was said then they are by who said it.
Old 06-05-17, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
A few years ago, Bill Maher said on his show something to the effect that it's ridiculous how "The N-word" is required and if someone white instead just says the actual word, then they are labelled as a "racist" so he was going to ignore that and just say it on his show from then on.

And he's right - saying a word does not make someone a racist. That's just stupid. It is also so absurd that anyone thinks that way are very hypocritical to then label someone with a derogatory smear term like "racist" (or "The R-word") due to it.
Well, my personal policy is not to use the word at all in any context, because:

Old 06-05-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Well, my personal policy is not to use the word at all in any context, because:

It's either OK for everyone to use the word or for no one to use the word.

I just wish people would understand what it really means to "own a word" - it's to defang it and take away its power. Going the other way and believing it's even more offensive is simply not understanding this concept and just making things worse.
Old 06-05-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He goes after Islam much harder, and even says that it's worse than Christianity.
That's because he doesn't see Christian terror attacks.
Old 06-05-17, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Poor choice of words I can admit, but the point stands, even proven again by how you read it. And no, that's not the problem. The problem is that the country was taken over by a true bigot, racist, liar, sexist and all around terrible person, with serious consequences for millions of people. But, hey, let's fire Bill.
Old 06-05-17, 03:20 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
It's either OK for everyone to use the word or for no one to use the word.
It's either OK for everyone to sleep with your wife or for no one to sleep with your wife.
Old 06-05-17, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

Milo's book is getting released after all, and it will now be out on the 4th of July.
http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2017/0...clinton-sasse/
Old 06-06-17, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's because he doesn't see Christian terror attacks.
And he attributes that to the religion, not the individuals. I'm fairly certain he said something to the effect of "all religions are not equal," implying that some are more dangerous than others.
It doesn't make much of a difference if the person saying that is a Christian or Atheist.
Think about what you're arguing and then go back and watch how Maher gets a long so well with anti-Muslim, pro-Christian conservative Milo Yiannopoulos.

Poor choice of words I can admit, but the point stands, even proven again by how you read it. And no, that's not the problem. The problem is that the country was taken over by a true bigot, racist, liar, sexist and all around terrible person, with serious consequences for millions of people. But, hey, let's fire Bill.
And before that we had a president that invaded another country based on erroneous intel which in turn had the effect of killing approximately 170,000 Iraqi civilians as a result, destabilized the region, and helped give rise to ISIS.
But maybe you're right, the country only began to have problems when Trump was elected.
The problem is not Trump, the problem is the mentality that helped elect Trump.

I already posted examples of stereotypes that Maher perpetuates with his jokes on Real Talk. If you think that's okay just because he's on "your" side then so be it.

And I don't think Maher should be fired, but he shouldn't be given a pass because he's a liberal either.
Old 06-06-17, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
The thing is I'd understand if he went off on some angry tirade or something and had a history being a racist. It should be evident to people who watch his show regularly and aren't just taking a clip that's gone viral that the use of the word in this instance while maybe not appropriate isn't an attitude he has against African Americans and something he'd say because he really meant it in an offensive way.
Good point.

Originally Posted by JasonF
It's either OK for everyone to sleep with your wife or for no one to sleep with your wife.
That's not the same thing.
Part of it boils down to what you can get a way with. In hip-hop you got non-Black rappers like Fat Joe, Big Pun, and many others throwing around "*****" all the time. It's a non-issue for the most part.
But then you got some upcoming white, female rapper out of nowhere who was alleged to use the word the same way and it became a little controversy.

"N-----" and "*****" don't even mean the same thing, and yet, a white, southern racist might mean it the first way, but pronounce it the second way.

Last edited by brayzie; 06-06-17 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-06-17, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Does anyone actually think HBO will fire Bill Maher?

I don't. No matter what his ratings are on there, I think HBO likes having a potential media storm over something inflammatory that could be said at any time on that live broadcast that can't be edited.
Old 06-06-17, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Does anyone actually think HBO will fire Bill Maher?
Absolutely not. They don't have to worry about advertisers, so they don't care. Is anyone actually cancelling their subscription over this? Doubtful. And is anyone going to boycott Time/Warner? Tell your kids they can't see Wonder Woman because some ass on TV used a slur.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.