Reload this Page >

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Old 09-05-16, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Show returns on Sept. 16. Should be interesting with this crazy ass Trump/Hillary campaign going down the stretch.

Can't remember when the first presidential debate is, but that should be a spectacle.
Old 09-16-16, 06:55 AM

Received 4,680 Likes on 3,168 Posts

REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER CONTINUES ITS 14TH SEASON SEPT. 16, EXCLUSIVELY ON HBO; KELLYANNE CONWAY IS THE TOP-OF-SHOW INTERVIEW GUEST; KERRY WASHINGTON IS THE MID-SHOW INTERVIEW GUEST; ADAM GOPNIK, MARGARET HOOVER AND RALPH REED ARE THE ROUNDTABLE GUESTS
Old 09-16-16, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Ralph Reed and KellyAnne Conway. Oh my.
Old 09-16-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,038 Likes on 636 Posts

Conway is brave, I'll give her that. Too bad she's using her skills to try to get an imbecile elected. I hope Maher doesn't hold back.
Old 09-16-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I hope Maher doesn't hold back.
He won't simply because Trump and Hillary are close in the polls. This is serious business that this crazy-man may actually win this thing, so you have to go at his handlers guns a blazin these days.
Old 09-16-16, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Conway is brave, I'll give her that. Too bad she's using her skills to try to get an imbecile elected. I hope Maher doesn't hold back.
What's he going to do, make her cry? She has a shell of invincibility that won't let through anything negative about Donald "I saw thousands of Muslims in New Jersey celebrating 9/11" Trump.
Old 09-16-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,038 Likes on 636 Posts

I'm sure she'll keep on her game face, though I actually have seen her squirm a little at times when interviewers confront her with some of her boss's most outlandish statements. I think she understands exactly how much of a buffoon Trump is, but this is her job and she's not letting any scruples about him possibly wrecking the country get in the way of doing that job.
Old 09-16-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

Maher better hammer her on Trump's birther walk-back today. I'm sure she's already come up with a response to whatever, but I doubt it can something that would make a lick of sense.

He should also ask her to which charity Trump will now donate the $5 million he promised if Obama turns out to have been born in the US.
Old 09-17-16, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Astrofan
What's he going to do, make her cry? She has a shell of invincibility that won't let through anything negative about Donald "I saw thousands of Muslims in New Jersey celebrating 9/11" Trump.
As predicted she didn't crack, though why Bill didn't through the above whooper I don't get. If Trump is elected, heaven help us, she is probably, along with bigotry and ignorance of millions of Americans, a prime reason.
Old 09-17-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maher went for the obvious stuff that Trump lies about that good Strategist's like Conway already have an answer for.

He missed the big question, "Why won't he release his taxes?" She would have replied that he was under audit, blah, blah, blah. Then Maher could have asked, "Why doesn't he release previous years since they are not under audit?"

And finally I would have said, "We sit here on September 16, can you 100% guarantee Trump will release his taxes by the election?"
Old 09-17-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A) As you say.

B) "He'd prefer to do it all at one time. There's a possibility depending on the results of this years audits he may have to file amended returns for previous years. We believe the American people are more interested in Mr. Trump's solutions for the real problems in their lives rather than focusing his energies during this election season on old tax returns."

C) "No, we can't guarantee that because Mr. Trump's business interests are vast. As I said before, we believe the country is facing real problems and this election season is about addressing those problems for America. Millions of Americans are audited each year by the IRS. It's not a sign that Mr. Trump did anything wrong. Audits can be random. Mr. Trump's staff is working overtime with the IRS to complete the tax audit as soon as possible, but as I previously stated, his business is vast and complex."

The bottom line is, her job requires obfuscating the truth, and she's good at her job.
Old 09-17-16, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,144 Likes on 698 Posts

I am not a fan of Ralph Reed but I respect him for coming on the show and he did pretty damn well tonight.
Old 09-18-16, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Margaret Hoover is pretty.
Old 09-21-16, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

It was a good show. I guess KellyAnne did it because she's been a long time guest, and she said Trump encouraged her to do so.
Old 09-23-16, 10:44 PM

Never liked Neera Tanden, but her giggling was particularly annoying tonight. There is nothing to giggle about in this election. And Bill needs to knock off the jokes about Trump's looks. It is the least worst thing about him and if he's elected it will simply be an affectionate thing that the cartoonists use.

Last edited by Astrofan; 09-23-16 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, there's so much crap to hold Trump accountable to (like how he hired a guy who was let go at his last job for sexual harassment), and, at this stage in the race, to stoop to making fun of his looks is both hacky and ineffective.
Old 09-24-16, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 961 Likes on 732 Posts

Maher just has a tendency to repeat the same jokes/comments. When he starts talking about Chris Christie, it's only a matter of seconds before the fat joke comes.

I couldn't believe they were all saying that police should not use deadly force on African American suspects who are CARRYING GUNS. Look, I'm all for Black Lives Matter, and totally agree that too often the police have a shoot-first mentality when dealing with African Americans, but if you're carrying a gun in an escalated encounter with the police, expect to get shot (unless the first thing the suspect says is "I'm armed, officer, but immediately placing my weapon on the ground."). And I don't have a problem with that, whether the suspect is white or black.
Old 09-24-16, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,207 Likes on 927 Posts

I couldn't believe they were all saying that police should not use deadly force on African American suspects who are CARRYING GUNS. Look, I'm all for Black Lives Matter, and totally agree that too often the police have a shoot-first mentality when dealing with African Americans, but if you're carrying a gun in an escalated encounter with the police, expect to get shot (unless the first thing the suspect says is "I'm armed, officer, but immediately placing my weapon on the ground."). And I don't have a problem with that, whether the suspect is white or black.

The problem is that black folks are getting dropped in what seems a faster rate than other folks. There was that armed white guy that was subdued with fucking bean bags the other day. If it were a black guy - he would have been subdued with clips.

Remember the black guy that was executed in front of his child and his GF a few months ago? He had a concealed weapon that he was legally able to carry and told the officer so before getting blasted on.
Old 09-24-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

Yeah, it seemed to me they made that comment about not using deadly force in connection with "open carry is really just for whites."
Old 09-24-16, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Paff
Maher just has a tendency to repeat the same jokes/comments. When he starts talking about Chris Christie, it's only a matter of seconds before the fat joke comes.
Yep, getting very banal.

Other point, what's with Max Brooks (whoever he is) pushing Chen (whoever he is) about not voting for Hillary if he's not voting for Trump? As the guy pointed out, he's in California, makes NO difference who you vote for, Hillary wins the state. The great majority of the states are a lock.

Last edited by Astrofan; 09-24-16 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Yep, getting very banal.

Other point, what's with Max Brooks (whoever he is) pushing Chen (whoever he is) about not voting for Hillary if he's not voting for Trump? As the guy pointed out, he's in California, makes NO difference who you vote for, Hillary wins the state. The great majority of the states are a lock.
I'm a #NeverTrumper Republican who is voting for Hillary. What I noticed among my Trump friends is they actually get more mad if you say you are voting Hillary instead of a 3rd party candidate or not voting altogether.

I suspect he's voting for Hillary, but is not going to say it out loud because of the double backlash of being a #NeverTrumper AND voting evil Hillary in their eyes.
Old 09-24-16, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah, I didn't like the pressuring of him to vote for Clinton. I don't remember, but I don't think Bill was really in on it.

I can't blame the guy for not wanting to vote for a candidate that doesn't hold his values, whatever they may be. Honestly, in their vice-versa example, I would still vote for Anthony Weiner over Mitt Romney. He may be a scumbag, but his politics line up with mine far more than any Republican's.
Old 09-24-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 961 Likes on 732 Posts

What was glossed over was when Chen said if he lived in a swing state, he'd have to weigh his choice (to not vote Trump nor Clinton) much more carefully. I can live with that sentiment. I think his head is in the right place.
Old 09-24-16, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paff
What was glossed over was when Chen said if he lived in a swing state, he'd have to weigh his choice (to not vote Trump nor Clinton) much more carefully. I can live with that sentiment. I think his head is in the right place.
I live in NJ and Republicans haven't won here since 1984, so my vote is sort of irrelevant. I just won't vote for Trump out of conscious so if he fucks up big time as President, I can live with myself that blood isn't on my hands just cause I'm a Republican.
Old 10-01-16, 12:36 AM

What was with this guy Steve? I'll give him credit for showing up for not for Trump-bullying the woman next to him. I don't think I've ever seen as rude a guest ever on this show. And he never answered the first question: How did he feel about a presidential candidate who goes on a Twitter storm of rantings in the middle of the night. Five days after the debate he's still the Hillary gift that keeps giving.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.