Reload this Page >

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Old 01-19-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

I enjoy the show also but, anymore there's a doom and gloom, we're all fucked with no way out, tone to Bill. Reminds me of the talking heads on tv in the background of Dawn of The Dead.
Old 01-20-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Really enjoy the show, glad it's back, but it's gotten to the point I'm cringing whenever the mid-show guest comes out and no matter who it is, Bill can't seem to keep his hands off them. I lost count of how many times during his talk with Lynch that Bill grabbed his arm, or put his hand on his shoulder. At the end of the segment, when Lynch started talking about how he doesn't like take pictures with men because he doesn't like people touching him and invading his personal space, I wonder if Bill made a connection.
I've noticed that too. He does it with practically every guest that sits to his left. Glad that he's finally back again. I like that he says in his own blunt and un-watered down words how outrageous Trump's actions are and projects them into possible directions and paths he appears to be taking things. I also like how he calls bullshit all the time when he hears it. Fasten your seatbelts for Ann Coulter next Friday.
Old 01-20-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
IFasten your seatbelts for Ann Coulter next Friday.
Ah, I'll bet you a dollar he kisses her ass like he always does.
Old 01-21-19, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I find that Barney Frank has a tendency to dominate the panel to the detriment of the show.
Agreed.
Half the time I can't understand what the guy is saying because of the speech impediment.

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Really enjoy the show, glad it's back, but it's gotten to the point I'm cringing whenever the mid-show guest comes out and no matter who it is, Bill can't seem to keep his hands off them. I lost count of how many times during his talk with Lynch that Bill grabbed his arm, or put his hand on his shoulder. At the end of the segment, when Lynch started talking about how he doesn't like take pictures with men because he doesn't like people touching him and invading his personal space, I wonder if Bill made a connection.
I don't know why he does that, but it is weird.
Someone needs to tell him guests usually don't like it.

Originally Posted by Paff
Ah, I'll bet you a dollar he kisses her ass like he always does.
That's because he does so literally after the show...
Old 01-25-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

Just wanna get my prediction in now, 'cause it don't count if you claim it after the fact.

Ann will say something extremely outrageous (you know, something like "{Ethnic Group X} has been proven to be intellectually inferior"), and if the boos from Bill's audience don't come fast enough, she'll pause and look at them with a smile until they do.

I don't watch Fox so I don't know if she does the same schtick on conservative shows, but she'll definitely do it tonight.
Old 01-26-19, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Oh boy. I can't wait to read you guys lose your shit over New Rules this week

I don't agree with everything he said, but he was spot on about "adulting". I see everyday in my work how adulthood has seemingly been pushed at least 10 years from when I was young.
Old 01-26-19, 09:01 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde

I don't agree with everything he said, but he was spot on about "adulting". I see everyday in my work how adulthood has seemingly been pushed at least 10 years from when I was young.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UgInmHHO0m4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-26-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde

There is a women I work with who left work for an hour the other day to meet her daughter at the Dentist just to be there with her (she was there for 6 month cleaning, not getting a tooth pulled or her wisdom teeth taken out). Her daughter is in College, so she is not 12 years old when you were totally dependent on your parents. What Bill Maher should have said is it's really the parents fault from the 'Helicopter Parent' generation who brought up these kids like a bunch of pussies and never let them branch out and do anything independently. While we are all protective as parents, there is a point where you have to let your kids grow up and deal with the daily shit in life that we all deal with and how everything doesn't go our way. It sucks, but life isn't always rosy and if you protect your kids too long, they won't know how to do anything for themselves when they become adults. I can't tell you how many Millenials at my work have an utter meltdown when something doesn't go their way, to the point where we it gets awkward because they are making a fuss over nothing. This is our society we live in today, and we created that generation.
Old 01-26-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

I noticed Bill Maher was trending on Twitter last night, so I clicked the link to see what that was about. One group were calling for him to be sued or arrested for "bullying" the Covenington kid, then came a bunch of people calling him a white supremacist for giving Ann Coulton a platform, and then everyone else was angry because he said comic books aren't literature. This could be the most successful episodes he's ever done
Old 01-26-19, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Eh. He’s just trying to get a reaction as usual. I don’t pay it any mind. Different generation.
Old 01-26-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Eh. He’s just trying to get a reaction as usual. I don’t pay it any mind. Different generation.
He and Ann Coulter are similar in that regard. Of all the things in the world worth getting riled up and upset about ... the fact that other people enjoy different types of entertainment than me is way way down the list.

Besides the #adulting bit (which I never heard of, but sounds idiotic and embodies every negative stereotype of millennials), Maher's rant was a series of straw man arguments. Some guys ruin real-life relationships over video games so every guy that plays video games is a loser, because there are some real-life "comic book guys" every guy who likes superhero stories is like that (running around with capes and playing with action figures), etc.
Old 01-26-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
He and Ann Coulter are similar in that regard. Of all the things in the world worth getting riled up and upset about ... the fact that other people enjoy different types of entertainment than me is way way down the list.

Besides the #adulting bit (which I never heard of, but sounds idiotic and embodies every negative stereotype of millennials), Maher's rant was a series of straw man arguments. Some guys ruin real-life relationships over video games so every guy that plays video games is a loser, because there are some real-life "comic book guys" every guy who likes superhero stories is like that (running around with capes and playing with action figures), etc.
That is not what he said at all. And the fact that you heard it that way is the problem.
He did not say playing video games was bad; he said playing video games so much that it negatively affects your relationships is bad.
He did not say liking super-hero movies is bad; he said immersing yourself in nerd culture to he point where it is your only culture is bad.
He did not say comic books are stupid; he said if you are an adult and comics are the literature in your life, then you are stupid.

His point about Stan Lee was spot on. Lee's defenders say that his work introduced them to serious themes when they were kids. Fine, but you're not a kid anymore, and if you are now saying "All I ever needed to know about <important subject>, I learned from Marvel comics," then you don't know much about <important subject>, and you're a fucking idiot.
Old 01-26-19, 04:47 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 01-26-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Between tripling down on comic books and the antivax shit he’s been pushing for years, Maher picks some stupid fucking hills to die on.
Old 01-26-19, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Not high on my list of things to complain about. I guess he never heard the term, "Pick your battles".

A guy who's advocating for the legalization of pot is complaining about adults that enjoy comic books.
Old 01-26-19, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Between tripling down on comic books and the antivax shit he’s been pushing for years, Maher picks some stupid fucking hills to die on.
I watch the show pretty regularly and I've never heard him spout antivax stuff. He friggin HATES kids. Why would he care about them getting a shot?
Old 01-27-19, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
That is not what he said at all. And the fact that you heard it that way is the problem.
He did not say playing video games was bad; he said playing video games so much that it negatively affects your relationships is bad.
He did not say liking super-hero movies is bad; he said immersing yourself in nerd culture to he point where it is your only culture is bad.
He did not say comic books are stupid; he said if you are an adult and comics are the literature in your life, then you are stupid.

His point about Stan Lee was spot on. Lee's defenders say that his work introduced them to serious themes when they were kids. Fine, but you're not a kid anymore, and if you are now saying "All I ever needed to know about <important subject>, I learned from Marvel comics," then you don't know much about <important subject>, and you're a fucking idiot.
Amen to that.

Between tripling down on comic books and the antivax shit he’s been pushing for years, .
He is NOT anti-vax...he is ANTI anti-vax.
Old 01-27-19, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F

A guy who's advocating for the legalization of pot is complaining about adults that enjoy comic books.
Pot is the same kind of thing as booze.
And booze does not equate to comic books.
Do the math...
Old 01-27-19, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus

He is NOT anti-vax...he is ANTI anti-vax.
Googling a little it looks like he’s at least a little Antivax. He’s anti-flu shot for sure, but lots of people have misconceptions about that one and I won’t hold that against him too much.
Old 01-27-19, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I don’t mind Bill’s takes on things sometimes, but he’s really being an ass about this and instead of just dropping it had to retort so he can get the final word in. While I agree with some of his points about people taking things too far and adulting I think it’s pretty unnecessary to act the way he is or say some of the things he’s said (I’m not happy he’s dead, I’m sorry you’re alive, seriously??). He’s coming across as a bully and since he has his show can spread his word like he’s holier than thou.
Old 01-27-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Bill has a team of writers that had a month off to prepare that. That’s why he is a pussycat in real life. People forget how prepared that stuff is.

He was asking comic book readers to dig deeper into social ideas briefly mentioned in comic books.
Old 01-27-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don’t mind Bill’s takes on things sometimes, but he’s really being an ass about this and instead of just dropping it had to retort so he can get the final word in. While I agree with some of his points about people taking things too far and adulting I think it’s pretty unnecessary to act the way he is or say some of the things he’s said (I’m not happy he’s dead, I’m sorry you’re alive, seriously??). He’s coming across as a bully and since he has his show can spread his word like he’s holier than thou.
True or not, the context for the segment was that people/media won't let him drop it. The whole thing may have been off your radar months later, but according to Maher it was still being brought up to him everyday.
It might not have been the worst thing for him to address it by saying, "It was months ago. If you haven't let it go, you need to, I'm moving on." But I think he really wanted to explain that he was not attacking Stan Lee.
Old 01-27-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
True or not, the context for the segment was that people/media won't let him drop it. The whole thing may have been off your radar months later, but according to Maher it was still being brought up to him everyday.
It might not have been the worst thing for him to address it by saying, "It was months ago. If you haven't let it go, you need to, I'm moving on." But I think he really wanted to explain that he was not attacking Stan Lee.
The thing is though he’s the one who started it and he must have had an idea that he’d get some backlash from comic fans and the media. He chose to attack a group for mourning the death of someone beloved to their community. There wasn’t really a reason for him to go after that group other than him not being a fan or understanding why adults like comic related media. It’s different than his normal political leanings and having a stance on a politician, event, or whatever. Also I would say if he wants it to stop this retort probably isn’t going to help matters.
Old 01-27-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

the antivax shit he’s been pushing for years, Maher picks some stupid fucking hills to die on.
Bill Maher is NOT an anti-vaxxer, but he is anti-flu shot and a naturopath (that's where his anti-GMO stance comes from).

A lot of people conflate being anti-flu shot with being anti-vax but it's not the same thing. The flu shot is one of the least effective vaccines - usually less than 50% - and I think is the only one that requires getting a new shot annually. Compare that to pretty much all other vaccines that require just 1 or 2 shots and maybe a booster decades later and are typically from 85% to 100% effective and the flu shot is the runt of the litter, at least until the "Universal Flu Shot" is finally available. (Personally speaking, though, I get a flu shot each year because I think some protection is better than none, but I know a lot of people who aren't anti-vaxxers but never bother getting the flu shot.)

Listen to Bill Maher himself from his show...
Spoiler:

Here's Bill Maher stating that he's not an anti=vaxxer on his show back in 2015 (at 39 seconds point of video)

Old 01-27-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

The thing is though he’s the one who started it and he must have had an idea that he’d get some backlash from comic fans and the media. He chose to attack a group for mourning the death of someone beloved to their community. There wasn’t really a reason for him to go after that group other than him not being a fan or understanding why adults like comic related media. It’s different than his normal political leanings and having a stance on a politician, event, or whatever. Also I would say if he wants it to stop this retort probably isn’t going to help matters.
He didn't attack them for mourning Stan Lee. He attacked them for the way they were mourning him. Stan's death got it's 3 minutes at the end of the nightly news as was appropriate. It's not like Stan and comics had a huge impact in forming out culture like Dylan, Beatles or Elvis.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.