Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 08:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I used to be a liberal.
Then when I how todays liberals act when they are pitted againest conservatives. And the L.A. Times & N.Y. Times and their reporting, CNN over the years.
So you are basing your political beliefs on what the media tells you?

like I said above Bill Maher is ABSOLUTLY not a libertarian
Bill has said many times that he is a libertarian. Why do you claim he isn't? Bill is not just about "smoking weed" as you put it. Libertarians do naturally seem "liberal" when comparing between liberals and conservatives.
Old 07-31-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
My favorite Ted Rall theory... the US went to war with Afganastan in order to take over the country and build a natural gas pipeline.
You might want to actually do a little reading before dismissing someone as a loon....if you did, you'd know that such plans were being implemented many months before 9/11....There has been a longstanding desire to get that pipeline from the Caspian gas reserves, mostly in order to prevent the Russians from getting it.....and Afghanistan is the only viable option. Why do you think we helped train/arm Mujahadeen and supported the Taliban?

In short, it's not a theory, it's a well-known and acknowledged aspect of our interest in the region - prior to 9/11....Of course that wasn't the only reason we went in (and I should add that I had no problem with what we did there), but it was certainly a contingent goal.

This is an excellent place to start if you'd care to learn something:

http://www.worldpress.org/specials/pp/front.htm
Old 07-31-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Brizz, Thanks. I never insinuated that Ted made the theory out of whole cloth. Its still freaking nutty.
Of course that wasn't the only reason we went in (and I should add that I had no problem with what we did there), but it was certainly a contingent goal.
No, it actually had nothing to do with it. Just because it HAPPENED to be the location of a proposed pipeline weighed zero in the persuit of Al Queda and the Taliban.
As far as libertarians. The statement that libertarians would seem closer to liberals than conservative is 100% off the mark. Libertarians espouse ZERO government intervention, regulation, and control. They believe that taxes with the exception of defense are unnecessary. And in individual responsibility and free markets. (Noted Libertarian Larry Elder has claimed in "10 Things you Cant Say In America" that 'The differences between Libertarians and Republicans is large, the Difference between Libertarians and Democrats is MASSIVE' - paraphrasing)
Bill Maher however is a liberal in matters of Taxes, Afirmative Action and Social Policy, corporations, and environment. He is moderatly conservative on forign policy and national defence. (Libertarians are non-interventionists) His only libertarian ideals arise when he calls for legalization of drugs and individual responsibility.
Oddly enough. He once claimed to have voted for Bob Dole
Read some Libertarian authors and compare them to Maher, its almost night and day.

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 07-31-03 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-09-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Real Time with Bill Maher 8/9/03

Watching this episode, I am floored by what a complete wacko Janeane Garofalo is. I knew she was liberal, but lots of great people are. She is just plain nuts.

Bill admits to being a little to the left but I find him generally fair and more in the middle than anyone else that actually claims to be (at least I find).

Anyway, what a stupid hollywood whore.
Old 08-10-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

gee dave, what a marvelously eloquent counter to her position

I'm convinced that she's wrong now that you've pointed out that Ms. Garofalo is nuts and a stupid whore.....what was I thinking, taking her informed opinion at value based on the merits (or lack thereof in some cases) of her arguments!??!?!? Silly me.....
Old 08-10-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Did you see the show? She is a huge conspiracy nut.

Convince me she was correct.

I enjoyed the idea that TV was not liberal as the show had on Grey Davis, the campaign strategist for Al Gore, Jeneane (stupid whore) Garofalo, Bill Maher, and some Republican Congressman. Fair and Balanced
Old 08-10-03, 10:00 PM
Banned

Well, they use 3 liberals to 1 conservative to make it look that the conservative is wrong. So that the young viewership watching will think that the liberal side must be correct if there are more people putting fourth that viewpoint.

It's like a con game the Left uses.
And only the 15 to 24 age group who doesn't really follow current events gets duped into believeing the Liberals.
Old 08-10-03, 11:58 PM

Have either of the two of you watched the show? Go to his official site and look at the guest list. He has alternated fairly regularly every show. 1 conservative and 2 liberals one show and 2 conservatives and 1 liberal the next. At the beginning of this episode Bill acknowleged that this particular episode did not have a fair balance and said he was mad about it.
Lopez, anyone who says that liberals are the cause of all problems in the world is a moron(as is anyone who blames conservatives) Try using your brain as opposed to blindly following your "side"
Old 08-11-03, 12:09 AM

I also agree that Garofalo is a bit of a nut. She makes some very good points but she's such a hardcore liberal that she comes off as sounding like a lunatic. I wish this whole stupid 2 party system would come to an end. It just encourages people to not think for themselves.
Old 08-11-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by kvrdave
I enjoyed the idea that TV was not liberal as the show had on Grey Davis, the campaign strategist for Al Gore, Jeneane (stupid whore) Garofalo, Bill Maher, and some Republican Congressman. Fair and Balanced
I enjoyed the idea that TV was not conservative as I watched Rush Limbaugh's old show, Hannity, Savage, O'Reilly, Fox News, etc., etc.

Maher isn't presenting this show as "News", unlike Fox. It's a comedy/debate show, with whomever the host (Maher) wants to have on. He isn't required to be "Fair and Balanced", it's a personality show.

Originally posted by wm lopez
It's like a con game the Left uses.
And only the 15 to 24 age group who doesn't really follow current events gets duped into believeing the Liberals.
And Janeane Garafalo is the conspiracy nut.
Old 08-11-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

well dave, i watched the rerun last night and have to tell you that I didn't see any evidence of her being a nutjob....let alone a stupid whore. Would you care to share an example of what you found so laughable? Otherwise, the only nutjob in this thread is you

Ninja Gaiden, the funny thing is that Ms. Garofalo would completely agree with you on the whole 2 party system point. She doesn't stand by the democratic line any more than she does the Republican line....she may be far to the left of your and others views, but the one thing she does have is some integrity and a complete lack of party driven hyperbole.

oh, and she totally owned Maher on the Kobe talk....that was awesome.

finally, if you didn't notice, next week is Arianna Huffington and Ann Coulter - two major lefties there.
Old 08-11-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Bill Maher has admitted that his show (as well as PI) were slanted left. He said that it was never the intent, but (especially with PI) they would only allow guests with certain name appeal, etc. and than many conservatives would decline to do the show, which gave the appearance of being from the right.

Maher did seem to have a serious problem with Kobe, but I can't say I blame him. Kobe is a stupid whore.

brizz - show me anything that would make you believe Arianna Huffington is right of center....and make it fairly recent because she used to be conservative, but that was years ago. As a proof, let us have a little test. If both she and Coulter are conservatives, they should agree on most everything next week, right?

And I will even add that not only is Jeneane a stupid whore, she is a stupid hippy whore.

And there is no liberal media bias. It is all just a made up conservative complaint Just like racism in the 1950s
Old 08-11-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by kvrdave
And there is no liberal media bias. It is all just a made up conservative complaint Just like racism in the 1950s
Ok, the "left" has Bill Maher. The "right" has Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly, Savage, Fox News, MSNBC, Drudge, etc., etc.

Which way is the media biased?
Old 08-11-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Don't you just love it when someone disagrees with a woman and she automatically becomes a "whore" or a "slut?"

It's such wonderful, dignified response, that it is nearly impossible to argue with the well-reasoned logic.
Old 08-11-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Numanoid
Ok, the "left" has Bill Maher. The "right" has Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly, Savage, Fox News, MSNBC, Drudge, etc., etc.

Okay, are you serious about that?

Josh - She was a stupid whore long before I disagreed with her
Old 08-12-03, 01:57 AM
Banned

The LEFT has NPR radio which is heard all over the country and which is paid by our tax dollars!
The N.Y. TIMES, L.A. TIMES, CNN and that is a big 3.
CNN has lost veiwers to FOXNEWS.
Phil Donahue tried to make a comeback, but couldn't beat O'Rielly in the ratings.
But J.DeG. made herself look bad by making comments that there is no liberal media and that Donahue had good ratings.
It's liberals like that is turning people away from liberalism.
They see all the lies.
Old 08-12-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by wm lopez

Phil Donahue tried to make a comeback, but couldn't beat O'Rielly in the ratings.

He couldn't beat anyone for ratings.
Old 08-12-03, 02:47 PM

If Janeane Garofalo is a nut...what is Ann Coulter? The voice of reason?!
Old 08-12-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ninja Gaiden
Have either of the two of you watched the show? Go to his official site and look at the guest list. He has alternated fairly regularly every show. 1 conservative and 2 liberals one show and 2 conservatives and 1 liberal the next. At the beginning of this episode Bill acknowleged that this particular episode did not have a fair balance and said he was mad about it.
Lopez, anyone who says that liberals are the cause of all problems in the world is a moron(as is anyone who blames conservatives) Try using your brain as opposed to blindly following your "side"
This is EXACTLY why I LOATHE Bill Maher & his shows & you (I mean you in general, I'm not attacking you Ninja) are the EXACT type of people that no nothing about politics that Maher is going for as his audience. Most of the "conservatives" as you call them, that are on the show are not "conservatives" at all. They are Republican, but they are "liberal republicans". That is a very FAR cry from an actual conservative Republican. Now Maher will have the occasional "conservative republican" on like Ann Coultier, but when they are on, it is usualy the shows where they are out numbered & it usually just ends up being the extremely dumb liberals ganging up & mocking the republican.

And Maher is ABSOLUTELY NOT "in-between" as someone here pointed out. He is a flat-out liberal.

Garofalo is probably literally the dumbest, most ill-informed moron that the democrats have. They should be ashamed of her. EVERY major conservative host, talk show, publication has offered to have her on as a guest & she will not do any of them since her debacle on O'Riley (who is NOT someone who the republicans should be proud of).
Old 08-12-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Spooky
If Janeane Garofalo is a nut...what is Ann Coulter? The voice of reason?!
I know this is going off topic, & I apoligize, but I can't help myself. Coulter backs her bold statements up with fact. You and/or liberals simply don't like the facts, but they are still facts & can't be disputed.
Old 08-12-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid

Are you joking? Have you any clue at all? The "left" has Bill Maher'? that is it?, are you leaving out nearly EVERY SINGLE other talk show host alive. The right has Limbaugh & those others you mentioned, but the "left" has EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN NEWS ANCHOR ON CHANNELS ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN(which you seem to leave out of your examples), & countless other stations. The liberals have EVERY SINGLE top published newpaper in the ENTIRE COUNTRY including the most circulation newspaper IN THE ENTIRE WORLD being the New York Post. Have you picked up any paper lately & seen all the democrats trying to attack Arnold lately, that is liberal bias my friend. Yeah, the conservatives have the bigger radio names but there is reason for that. The Democrats are so torn on issues & all over the board every talk show they try fails. Let's see what else, just about all of Hollywood is liberal, all of television is liberal, I can go on & on & on. So you cannot possibly be serious that you actually think the media is "right wing" bias.
Old 08-12-03, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17
I know this is going off topic, & I apoligize, but I can't help myself. Coulter backs her bold statements up with fact. You and/or liberals simply don't like the facts, but they are still facts & can't be disputed.
Here's some of the wit and wisdom of Ms. Coulter (yes these are actual quotes!):

Concerning the war on terrorism:
"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war."

Concerning College-aged liberals:
"When contemplating college liberals, you really regret once again that John Walker is not getting the death penalty. We need to execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed, too. Otherwise, they will turn out to be outright traitors."

From an interview on FOX's HANNITY & COLMES:
COULTER: I take the biblical idea. God gave us the earth.

PETER FENN (Democratic strategist): Oh, OK.

COULTER: We have dominion over the plants, the animals, the trees.

FENN: This is a great idea.

COULTER: God says, "Earth is yours. Take it. Rape it. It's yours."

FENN: Terrific. We're Americans, so we should consume as much of the earth's resources...

COULTER: Yes! Yes.

FENN: ... as fast as we possibly can.

COULTER: As opposed to living like the Indians.

And finally, one of my favorites, concerning Timothy McVeigh:
"My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building."

I repeat...is this the voice of Conservatism in America? If so, I proudly, PROUDLY stamp myself as a liberal!
Old 08-12-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
How does anyone figure John Walker for a liberal?

I know we're dealing with Coulter-logic, but still...
Old 08-12-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

YES!!!!

Every so often something wonderful happens. This thread is proof of that
Old 08-12-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Spooky
Here's some of the wit and wisdom of Ms. Coulter (yes these are actual quotes!):

Concerning the war on terrorism:
"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war."

Concerning College-aged liberals:
"When contemplating college liberals, you really regret once again that John Walker is not getting the death penalty. We need to execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed, too. Otherwise, they will turn out to be outright traitors."

From an interview on FOX's HANNITY & COLMES:
COULTER: I take the biblical idea. God gave us the earth.

PETER FENN (Democratic strategist): Oh, OK.

COULTER: We have dominion over the plants, the animals, the trees.

FENN: This is a great idea.

COULTER: God says, "Earth is yours. Take it. Rape it. It's yours."

FENN: Terrific. We're Americans, so we should consume as much of the earth's resources...

COULTER: Yes! Yes.

FENN: ... as fast as we possibly can.

COULTER: As opposed to living like the Indians.

And finally, one of my favorites, concerning Timothy McVeigh:
"My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building."

I repeat...is this the voice of Conservatism in America? If so, I proudly, PROUDLY stamp myself as a liberal!
This post is a perfect exaple of how a liberal publication would slant things to make them look worse than they are. All of these quotes are taken out of context & when read on their own look terrible. I've heard/seen her make almost all of these quotes & most of them are done with humor & tongue firmly planted in cheak often exaggerating to make a point & often in retaliation of an absurd point that a democrat just made on the same talk show. When a democrat does such things they are often praised & found funny (i.e. Franken) yet when a Republican does so, 7 especially a fame one she is panned for doing so. And her line on College aged liberals is dead on. I go to one of the most liberal schools in the country (Rutgers University) & they are sickening.

And no, for all the democrats that need to skew EVERYTHING. This is NOT the voice of conservative America. This is the voice of Ann Coulter, one wome. Is Janene Garofalo the voice of Liberal America?

And for the record, I don't like Coulter. I enjoy her books & those are where she uses facts to support her arguments. But her schtick is to exaggerate to make points & I like many find that to be annoying.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.