Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Netflix - News & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-22, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: Netflix - News & Discussion

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
OK, I meant however they do shows that air weekly on TV. They don’t shoot an entire season at once, with all episodes completed when the first one airs, do they?
Nowadays, yes. That's how Netflix can drop an entire season at once. Even in the old days of broadcast TV, shows took weeks to complete: 6-7 days of filming, then editing and post, and while that was happening another episode was being filmed behind that.
South Park is able to get an episode out within a week or two of real life events happening because they have a tight production team and the animation is not exactly high quality.

Are you pulling our legs with this kind of question?
Old 04-27-22, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
OK, I meant however they do shows that air weekly on TV. They don’t shoot an entire season at once, with all episodes completed when the first one airs, do they?
They don't finish 22 episodes of Law & Order before they air them, but they don't film an episode a per week either.
Old 04-27-22, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Hollywood Reporter article about the infighting within Netflix in greenlighting shows and some insight into perhaps why there was such a deluge of content:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...sh-1235136004/
Old 04-27-22, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Some shows film as the season progresses, but most of those are longer run shows - 13 or more episodes. Those shows can use feedback from viewers and critics alike to refine their programming, but it can also screw with a show. It is pretty rare these days though with the high budget 8 - 10 episode series we get.
Old 04-28-22, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Some shows film as the season progresses, but most of those are longer run shows - 13 or more episodes. Those shows can use feedback from viewers and critics alike to refine their programming, but it can also screw with a show. It is pretty rare these days though with the high budget 8 - 10 episode series we get.
I mean, if you want to keep up anything close to a weekly release date you have to have at least a few in the bag. Maybe you can pivot if you split up your seasons and have a long break in between but I can't imagine the amount of scrambling that would need to happen to do so, besides something like a reality show or something with a very simple script like a kid's show.
Old 04-28-22, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh yeah no they're normally pretty far along into the season by the time it starts airing unless there's a "break" involved.
Old 04-28-22, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/n...aa5dee56334940

Layoffs have hit Netflix's marketing department.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (04-29-22)
Old 04-28-22, 05:58 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/n...aa5dee56334940

Layoffs have hit Netflix's marketing department.
Well, everyone says they don’t market their movies anyway…
Old 04-29-22, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

It's so discombobulating hearing about a company that's based on creative stuff, but then realizing there's still the usual numbers people running the show and as usual they do everything the exact opposite of what they should be doing. Like advertising the stuff they already have.

And they seriously need to go to a weekly release model for their shows. All the new Star Trek and Star Wars shows get massive bumps on social media and forums like this because they're weekly while Bridgerton S2 came and went in a flash.
The following 2 users liked this post by milo bloom:
BackStJoe (05-06-22), John Pannozzi (04-29-22)
Old 04-29-22, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
It's so discombobulating hearing about a company that's based on creative stuff, but then realizing there's still the usual numbers people running the show and as usual they do everything the exact opposite of what they should be doing. Like advertising the stuff they already have.

And they seriously need to go to a weekly release model for their shows. All the new Star Trek and Star Wars shows get massive bumps on social media and forums like this because they're weekly while Bridgerton S2 came and went in a flash.
It definitely generates more real time discussion since everyone is on the same page if they're watching weekly. But the really baffling thing to me is that doing weekly releases would seem to benefit Netflix as well because people wouldn't just subscribe and binge then unsubscribe. I think they've been in a position in the past to not really care about that (they don't even have a cheaper annual rate to keep people subbed) but maybe that changes now.
Old 04-29-22, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Ted Sarandos is too far up his own ass to admit that the binge model was a mistake.
Alan Smithee (05-08-22)
Old 04-29-22, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Is it though??
Old 05-01-22, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

John Pannozzi (05-07-22)
Old 05-06-22, 04:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Maybe too much of a grey area question, but I'll ask anyway.

Are there any VPNs that actually work when it comes to Netflix region switching? I had tested a few that made the claim, but Netflix always popped up with a warning showing they knew what was up.

There's a documentary that's only on Netflix UK that I'd like to watch. It has zero distribution in the US for now, so
John Pannozzi (05-07-22)
Old 05-06-22, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I’ve had luck with Windscribe.
John Pannozzi (05-07-22)
Old 05-08-22, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

I just noticed this, but I guess it's been active for possibly a few weeks. Netflix now has a "double thumbs up" rating in addition to "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" with the intent of fine-tuning your preferences and recommendations.

https://variety.com/2022/digital/new...gs-1235228641/

I am glad to see this, as I was disappointed when they did away with the star rating system and replaced it with the binary thumbs-up/down system. Now I can at least differentiate between something I liked and something I loved.
Old 05-08-22, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I had noticed the one thumb is "I like this" and two thumbs is "I love this."

Letterboxd has a heart emoji to go with the 1-5 stars rating. Indicates a movie you really like regardless of the rating. I like being able to indicate you love a movie even though you subjectively know it's not a great or good movie.
Old 05-09-22, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Didn't they originally let you give content a rating out of 5 stars, and then switch to thumbs-up thumbs-down ?

I seem to remember being annoyed about that.
Old 05-09-22, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Letterboxd has a heart emoji to go with the 1-5 stars rating. Indicates a movie you really like regardless of the rating. I like being able to indicate you love a movie even though you subjectively know it's not a great or good movie.
Me too. I have a few "stinkers" that I love.
Old 05-09-22, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Didn't they originally let you give content a rating out of 5 stars, and then switch to thumbs-up thumbs-down ?

I seem to remember being annoyed about that.
Yes, it was originally based on a star rating. I remember feeling like the algorithm was much better then. I was actually surprised how often it was correct in what it thought I'd rate a particular movie. It also made me feel more invested in rating each title. I always thought dropping the star ratings was a big loss.
Old 05-10-22, 11:14 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Netflix could introduce its lower-priced ad-supported tier by the end of the year, a more accelerated timeline than originally indicated, the company told employees in a recent note.

In the note, Netflix executives said that they were aiming to introduce the ad tier in the final three months of the year, according to two people who shared details of the communication, speaking on condition of anonymity to describe internal company discussions. The note also said that they were planning to begin cracking down on password sharing among its subscriber base around the same time, the people said.

Last month, Netflix stunned the media industry and Madison Avenue when it revealed that it would begin offering a lower-priced subscription featuring ads, after years of publicly stating that commercials would never be seen on the streaming platform.

But Netflix is facing significant business challenges. In announcing first quarter earnings last month, Netflix said that it lost 200,000 subscribers in the first three months of the year — the first time that has happened in a decade — and expected to lose two million more in the months to come. Since the subscriber announcement, Netflix’s share price has dropped sharply, wiping away roughly $70 billion in the company’s market capitalization.

Reed Hastings, Netflix’s co-chief executive, told investors that the company would examine the possibility of introducing an advertising-supported platform and that it would try to “figure it out over the next year or two.”

The recent note to staff signaled that the timeline has sped up.

“Yes, it’s fast and ambitious and it will require some trade-offs,” the note said.

A Netflix spokeswoman declined to comment.

Netflix currently offers a variety of payment tiers to access its streaming service; its most popular plan costs $15.49 a month. The new ad-supported tier will cost less. Other streaming services have similar plans. HBO Max, for instance, offers a commercial-free service for $15 a month, and charges $10 a month for the service with advertising.

Indeed, in the note to employees, Netflix executives evoked their competitors, saying that HBO and Hulu have been able to “maintain strong brands while offering an ad-supported service.”

“Every major streaming company excluding Apple has or has announced an ad-supported service,” the note said. “For good reason, people want lower-priced options.”

Last month, Netflix also announced that it intended to begin charging higher prices to subscribers who share their account with several people.

“So if you’ve got a sister, let’s say, that’s living in a different city; you want to share Netflix with her, that’s great,” Greg Peters, Netflix’s chief operating officer, said on the company’s earnings call. “We’re not trying to shut down that sharing but we’re going to ask you to pay a bit more to be able to share with her.”

Mr. Peters said that the company would go “through a year or so of iterating” on password sharing before it rolled out a plan.

In the note to employees, Netflix executives said that the advertising-supported tier for the streaming platform would be introduced “in tandem with our broader plans to charge for sharing.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/10/b...mmercials.html
Old 05-10-22, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I value my time, so I'm willing to keep my $15.49 ad-free version. Netflix will like that.
Old 05-10-22, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Yes, it was originally based on a star rating. I remember feeling like the algorithm was much better then. I was actually surprised how often it was correct in what it thought I'd rate a particular movie. It also made me feel more invested in rating each title. I always thought dropping the star ratings was a big loss.
I agree. Maybe it was due to my perceived quality of Netflix dropping that I felt the recommendations started failing around the time Netflix changed to the thumbs, or maybe the thumbs were just a failure themselves. After a few months of the recommendations not being all that great, I stopped rating with the thumbs.
Old 05-10-22, 12:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah, still won’t bring me back.
Old 05-10-22, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Yes, I like that aspect of the Letterboxd ratings. I can give something two stars and still it.

Regarding the ad-supported tier, I am not opposed in principle. I have ad-supported subscriptions to Hulu and Paramount+. But Netflix and HBO Max tend to have shows that I get more invested in, and so I am willing to stay ad-free on those for a more 'pure' experience.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.