Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Netflix - News & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-22, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Netflix - News & Discussion

Me three. It's stupid to want to watch the same intro every fucking time. My memory isn't perfect but it's not THAT bad.
Old 06-04-22, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Do people watch a lot of movies on Netflix VS binge watching TV series? I think I've only watched movies a handful of times on Netflix.
Old 06-04-22, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mhg83
Do people watch a lot of movies on Netflix VS binge watching TV series? I think I've only watched movies a handful of times on Netflix.
Here's good list of their better original movies you haven't seen.

The 55 Best Netflix Original Movies
Old 06-06-22, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It's stupid to want to watch the same intro every fucking time.
It’s even stupider to have that button appear onscreen every fucking time. They can let you hit Enter to skip it, but don’t put the button onscreen. That’s why I used an older Roku for a long time with the old interface, now I use Kodi which delivers 4K and Atmos but none of the annoyances. It lets you skip forwards and back pretty easily too if you ever want to do that.

Believe it or not, there are many times when I watch just ONE episode of something a day anyways. Working at home I can watch one episode of something during lunch break, and never need to skip any of it.

And obviously a live channel wouldn’t let one viewer have it skip something for everyone watching.
Old 06-06-22, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

An app isn't a mind reader. I'd rather have the option. Usually I'll skip the intro but, like with Peacemaker, I'd want to watch the intro every damn time.
Old 06-06-22, 12:01 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It’s even stupider to have that button appear onscreen every fucking time. They can let you hit Enter to skip it, but don’t put the button onscreen.
I understand you find it tedious. But you have to create the apps to be useful to the average viewer. You have to put the button on the screen because Joe Average watching from Nebraska or his 80 year grandma aren't going to know you can skip an intro without seeing a button telling them so. This is the ultimate first world problem. If you don't feel the need to skip an intro, you don't have to. Certainly comes off as a bit selfish to complain about something that 90% or more of the users are thankful to have.
Old 06-06-22, 01:00 PM

If wanting to view something as intended is “selfish”, then I guess I am. Is it selfish to not want closed captions to be always on also? (There was a real debate about that on a other forum saying that theaters should always have captions on movies.)

I’m not paying for Joe Average’s subscription watching on his small screen with built in TV speakers so I’m not going to put up with any crap designed for him. People like that already ruined cable, no reason this stuff can’t at least be customized. (Kodi lets you automatically skip intros and credits if you want and a bunch of other options, but I turned those all off!)
Old 06-06-22, 10:35 PM

Expecting apps to be designed to your specific specifications while ignoring mass appeal is.... basically the definition of being selfish lol.

You seem weird and unhinged, I will back away and just say good day to you sir.
Old 06-07-22, 12:31 AM

Simply letting material play complete and uninterrupted from start to finish is a “specific specification”? You do know that’s how the original Netflix app behaved, don’t you? And I would call “the masses” selfish for not respecting how shows and movies were made to be seen. But they can do what they like as long as it doesn’t bother me or anyone else with a sense of proper presentation.

No reason whatsoever not to make those things customizable. Some hobbyist was able to design a more functional Kodi app than Netflix themselves. I’ll be donating them some money when I can (they’ve done similar apps for other services, which I wouldn’t otherwise use.)

Good day to you sir.
Old 06-08-22, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I would hate to have been a part time player on some of the Netflix produced programs and never see my name in the closing credits.

It's an insult to the people who star and produce and make show's happen and Netflix turn's around and pisses on them because they are too busy counting their own money.

Leave the opening and closing credits untouched(with no advertising bullshit) is the right way to go.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (06-08-22)
Old 06-08-22, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

^Agreed, and it's not just Netflix. Most TV channels zip credits by so fast, it looks like a joke. Sometimes they also cram them into the corner of the screen, where they're completely unreadable, so they can jam more advertising in.
Old 06-08-22, 01:39 PM

As what I would call a casual viewer I am... shocked anyone could give a shit about credits. I'm sorry but like B team stunt coordinator or 3rd AD in charge of costuming needing their names to be shown when no one watching outside of other industry people and family know who they are just a waste of movie goers time. I'm sure there's SAG union reasons behind why credits exist and all that. But I promise you if it were put to a popular vote, people that care get may 9% vs people that don't care's 91%...

So speed them fuckers up. Aint no one actually reading or recognizing the majority of those names. It would be like a retail store's receipt showing everyone who was working that day on your receipt. Do I need to know Marge McGraw was unloading the truck on the day I was in there? Nah.
Boondock Saint (06-08-22)
Old 06-08-22, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

It's not just the names. Frequently the end credits have a song or piece of music that is significant to that particular episode that gets cut off after 30 seconds and blunts the impact.

I wish they they would do the opposite of what they do now. Make viewers click a button to go to the next episode & let the credits play otherwise. Then if the episode plays to completion, start the next episode.
Old 06-08-22, 03:41 PM

Mass appeal. Very few people care. It's a bother to have the credits play at all for the casual viewers. Anyone wanting to see them is in the minority by alotttttttt. So expecting an app to be catered to the vast minority of what users want is just not being accepting of how society works lol. Especially in the digital age. Want to know the name of a song in an episode? Google it. Want to know the 3rd AD in charge of costuming? Google it. 90% of people (or more) don't care. And IMDB exists for the people that do.
Boondock Saint (06-08-22)
Old 06-08-22, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

even more irritating is a post-credit scene being skipped due to credits being cut off.
The following 2 users liked this post by jpcamb:
Alan Smithee (06-08-22), John Pannozzi (06-08-22)
Old 06-08-22, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by New Lurker
Mass appeal. Very few people care. It's a bother to have the credits play at all for the casual viewers. Anyone wanting to see them is in the minority by alotttttttt. So expecting an app to be catered to the vast minority of what users want is just not being accepting of how society works lol. Especially in the digital age. Want to know the name of a song in an episode? Google it. Want to know the 3rd AD in charge of costuming? Google it. 90% of people (or more) don't care. And IMDB exists for the people that do.
It would seem like it'd be pretty easy to add it as a configuration option. It doesn't have to be forced on all users.
Alan Smithee (06-08-22)
Old 06-08-22, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

There IS an option to turn off autoplay for series, which will result in the full credits playing. They do still automatically shrink on the screen so Netflix can show you some suggestions to watch next, but you can return the credits to full size if you want. I have autoplay turned off, not because I want to watch the credits, but because I don't want a series to continue playing if I fall asleep or something.
John Pannozzi (06-08-22)
Old 06-08-22, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by andicus
It would seem like it'd be pretty easy to add it as a configuration option. It doesn't have to be forced on all users.
I have zero knowledge on how easy or hard app developing is. So I can't say if that would be easy to implement or not. But I don't think any streaming app I have is customizable. So I would assume maybe even if it is doable, the juice isn't worth the squeeze? I still would estimate people that would use that kind of functionality is so low it's not even worth the time to pay the wage of someone to modify the interface for it.

As said above you can turn off the auto play. That would alleviate missing the impact of a certain music playing or missing a post credits scene at the very least.
Old 06-23-22, 08:37 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

It’s official: ads are coming to Netflix.

Netflix’s Co-CEO Ted Sarandos, speaking at the Cannes Lions advertising festival on Thursday, confirmed that the future of the streaming giant will include ads, explaining the about face. Netflix had long been averse to advertising on its subscription service but after posting disappointing figures last quarter, showing it lost 200,000 subscribers, the company said would be introducing a less-expensive ad-supported tier to its service in a bid to bring in new customers.

“We’ve left a big customer segment off the table, which is people who say: ‘Hey, Netflix is too expensive for me and I don’t mind advertising,'” Sarandos said Thursday, speaking on the Cannes Lions stage with Sway podcast host Kara Swisher. “We adding an ad tier; we’re not adding ads to Netflix as you know it today. We’re adding an ad tier for folks who say, ‘Hey, I want a lower price and I’ll watch ads.'”

Netflix’s presence at Cannes Lions — this is the first time the streamer has attended the global advertising confab — is a clear sign the company is looking to embrace the ad industry. Sarandos confirmed that the company is in talks with potential ad-sales partners. Sarandos will also be honored this year with the Cannes Lions’ Entertainment Person of the Year award.

It remains to be seen if a new advertising tier will prove the solution to Netflix’s growth problems. As the company’s share price has tanked, there has been growing speculation that the streamer could be the target of a takeover.

Sarandos admitted that a buyout “is always a reality, so we have to be wide-eyed about that” but insisted Netflix could return to growth on its own. “We have plenty of scale and profitability and free cash flow to continue to grow this business,” he noted.

The Netflix exec dismissed the company’s recent stock drop as part of the inevitable ups and downs in is still the fairly young business of online streaming.

“We’ve gotten through experiences where the market disconnects from [our] core business and you have to prove the thesis still works, and is going to work long-term. There’s a lot of uncertainty in the world today, and if they get anything that rocks the foundation of the narrative, they get nervous.”

Noting that streaming was still only “about 10 percent of what people do on TV,” Sarandos argued there was still “a lot of room to grow” for Netflix.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...ns-1235170626/
MLBFan24 (06-23-22)
Old 06-23-22, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

Fair enough, if they keep the HD price (no ads) at $15.49 for the foreseeable future.
Old 06-23-22, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

“We adding an ad tier; we’re not adding ads to Netflix as you know it today. We’re adding an ad tier for folks who say, ‘Hey, I want a lower price and I’ll watch ads.'”
I was hoping they would keep current tiers but add an ad option to each tier. If I read this correctly sounds like there will be one tier with ads (probably Basic tier). I guess they want to keep it simple. If it catches on, they can change the higher end tiers to have ad options.
Old 06-23-22, 03:34 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I was hoping they would keep current tiers but add an ad option to each tier. If I read this correctly sounds like there will be one tier with ads (probably Basic tier). I guess they want to keep it simple. If it catches on, they can change the higher end tiers to have ad options.
They need to get rid of all these tiers and stop charging extra for 4K.
Alan Smithee (06-23-22)
Old 06-23-22, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I recently upgraded my T-Mobile plan and now get Netflix for free. But only in HD. Fine with me for however long they keep this. The 4K surcharge was bullshit and 9 times out of 10 I barely notice a difference with HD and 4Kl.
Old 06-23-22, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I hate to see anyone lose their jobs, but Netflix slashed 300 more jobs.

https://deadline.com/2022/06/netflix...50-1235050799/
Old 06-23-22, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm ok with Netflix having an ad supported tier as I'll never use it. I just hope this doesn't impact the flow of their original content. On almost every other ad-optional service, the program has obvious pauses where the commercials would go. Netflix programs don't have this pacing so they'll either need abrupt cuts or start having to insert these pauses. It's always super obvious too, so I'm hoping they just figure out where to insert the commercials without doing cut to black screen thing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.