Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Cutting The Cord - Dropping Pay TV for Streaming

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Cutting The Cord - Dropping Pay TV for Streaming

Ive been considering it for awhile but Its still an issue for all the sports I watch which is the only real reason I have my cable anyone have any suggestions for being able to cut cable and still get sports content (other then mlb tv, nhl tv etc)
Old 11-01-12, 08:33 PM
Cool New Member

Sports is really the only thing that keeps me from cutting the cord. I got DirecTV primarily for Sunday Ticket, and it's awesome (though DirecTV's customer service is, in a word, shitty.) I also have the NBA League Pass, which I can also utilize via my Roku, but the broadband version doesn't play the big national games.

Other than that, the only things I watch that aren't available are a lot of shows on Investigation Discovery (I'm a true crime junkie), but that by itself wouldn't be worth the monthly DirecTV nut.
Old 11-04-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

We did it about a year ago, dropping cable for Netflix and Hulu+ (and the occasional rental from Amazon VOD) on the Roku, and minimal OTA programming like the NFL and the morning news. Overall, no regrets.

The one upgrade I will probably make is a tuner card in our Windows Media Center HTPC, since I wouldn't mind having the ability to DVR some stuff from the local PBS stations. That would also give the HTPC something to do, since we typically use the Roku for all streaming content (unless the Hulu+ channel is being shitty) and don't have much in the way of "local" video files.
Old 11-05-12, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Somebody needs to create an app that's a streaming aggregator. So you can look for a TV show or movie and it'll search across all your services - iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon VOD - to see who has it.
Old 11-05-12, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hahn
Somebody needs to create an app that's a streaming aggregator. So you can look for a TV show or movie and it'll search across all your services - iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon VOD - to see who has it.
It's called Nintendo TVii.
It's no shock that Nintendo is integrating streaming-video services like Netflix, Amazon Instant, Hulu Plus, and YouTube into the Wii U, but TVii is a far more ambitious platform, capable of cross-platform search through both streaming-video services and live TV listings, providing complementary second-screen information on the GamePad screen, and controlling your DVR and other home theater components like a universal remote. That's a step further than even the Xbox 360's impressive TV efforts.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...tv-has-failed/
Old 11-05-12, 06:20 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by hahn
Roku has this. It's the new Roku Search feature. I posted some info about it in the Roku thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-t...ku-thread.html
Old 11-05-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
...By the way, ESPN, by itself, is costing every cable and satellite subscriber $4.69, plus another $1.12 or so for the other ESPN channels. That is everybody, even those who don't watch sports.
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
And with the amount of commercials they run, it SHOULD cost $0.00 per subscriber! (I'm not a sports fan, and most sports fans I've known personally haven't been very bright- the fact that this is tolerated proves that.)
I'm not a sports fan either and could do without the *mandatory* addition of all those channels (put 'em on a special tier and sell them just to those who want 'em), but frankly, the inflated cost is with *every* "cable" channel. The amount of money "stations" want per subscriber is outrageous!

I've tried streaming and the quality generally sucks or there's lots of "buffering" stopping the show. I'd ditch the cable for nothing but DVD but the wife watches lots of daytime junk and home renovation type channels. Personally, I no longer watch anything on cable due to the volume of commercials and other annoyances (bugs, etc.). I'm currently looking into an Amazon Prime account because it adds "free" shipping to the streaming package.
Old 11-13-12, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm likely going to quit my job at [major cable company] next year (focus on school, and get out of this place I hate), so we're probably just going to keep internet and cut the cable entirely. As someone who has every single channel right now, I can positively confirm there is almost never a thing on worth watching.

We've got a Roku, and a wireless BD player, but my main concern is being able to catch the few shows we do enjoy, namely things on AMC. What are my options there? I know I can pay for episodes on Amazon or VUDU; don't want to, though. I figure Hulu should have the various Gordon Ramsay shows, Modern Family, and Shark Tank, just about the only network stuff we watch.
Old 11-13-12, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
We've got a Roku, and a wireless BD player, but my main concern is being able to catch the few shows we do enjoy, namely things on AMC. What are my options there? I know I can pay for episodes on Amazon or VUDU; don't want to, though. I figure Hulu should have the various Gordon Ramsay shows, Modern Family, and Shark Tank, just about the only network stuff we watch.
Nothing from AMC can be watched legally online for free.

FYI, if you don't pay for Hulu Plus, everything on FOX (including all of Ramsay's shows) has an 8-day delay after it airs.

It's all covered in this thread that I created awhile ago.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-t...e-legally.html
Old 11-13-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, that'll be helpful.
Old 11-15-12, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
We've got a Roku, and a wireless BD player, but my main concern is being able to catch the few shows we do enjoy, namely things on AMC. What are my options there?
If those are the only shows with which you care about staying current, you can buy the season passes from Amazon and you still save money over cable. A season pass for The Walking Dead is $30-something I believe.
Old 11-15-12, 04:11 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Yeah, I did the Season Pass thing for Breaking Bad. It was still less than subscribing to AMC for the time that it was on, so for me it was a good deal.
Old 11-15-12, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,611 Posts

If you only watch less than 5 shows, then either Amazon or Itunes plus Hulu plus is probably a better alternative if your trying to cut costs on entertainment. But if you watch 30 or more like me, then forget that option man.
Old 11-17-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing I miss about not having cable is sports channels, and even those are starting to be ridiculous. Live sports games are missed.

Other than that, I can get my shows online. I haven't had cable for around 5, 6 years.
Old 11-18-12, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the original Roku player, and I pay monthly cable Internet and streaming Netflix bills (about $55 per month total). I may subscribe to Hulu at some point.
Old 11-30-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thinking about junking Comcast cable, and going the streaming route. What will I end up paying for solely internet from Comcast? I figure it'll being around $60-$70/month since they try to piggy-back some "cable" fee due to the analog cable signal of the past, but with everything digital and requiring a converter box, that seems unfair for them to charge for higher internet price a la carte), and that also seems pretty high.

Last edited by Patman; 11-30-12 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-30-12, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for comparison, you can get time warner, 29.99 10 mps. no tax, buy your own modem and avoid their rental fee. this is NYC area.
Old 12-01-12, 06:57 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Thinking about junking Comcast cable, and going the streaming route. What will I end up paying for solely internet from Comcast? I figure it'll being around $60-$70/month since they try to piggy-back some "cable" fee due to the analog cable signal of the past, but with everything digital and requiring a converter box, that seems unfair for them to charge for higher internet price a la carte), and that also seems pretty high.
I checked the Comcast website, and in my area (Southwest VA) they offer basic internet ("up to 20Mbps") for $20/month the first 6 months and $35/month after that. The modem rental is an extra $7/month.
Old 12-02-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
We found ourselves only watching a few channels and couldn't justify spending so much for so many unused channels.
This is what finally got me to ditch DirecTV. I found that, generally, I was watching a handful of shows every week...for $88 dollars per month. So I decided not to pay any more.

Of the two shows that I watched religiously, I can get The Amazing Race for free over the air, and I've decided (and found it to be true) that I can live with not watching The Walking Dead until it hits Blu-ray.

The only thing that I really miss being able to watch are college sports, but if there's a big game on, I can go to someone's house or a bar and catch it.

I've also killed my Netflix subscription. I've got over 3600 DVDs and Blu-rays, and I've probably only seen about a third of them. Now's the time to start wading through them.

So, between dropping satellite and Netflix, I'm saving over $110 every month...and not missing those services at all.
Old 12-02-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
Nothing from AMC can be watched legally online for free.
I've been paying to watch my AMC shows on iTunes. Not cheap, but I get HD quality shows, no commercials and within a few hours of the airing. Even though it's not cheap, it's still way WAY cheaper than a monthly cable bill.
Old 12-03-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

American Horror Story can't be watched anywhere online legally either?
Old 12-04-12, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Not the new episodes, as far as I can tell. Season 1 is on Watch Instantly.
Old 12-04-12, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New story may make cutting the cord a little easier,a s Netflix signs exclusivity deal with Disney.

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2012/1...vengers-2.html
Old 12-05-12, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its been a few months since we cut the cord, and we are doing fine. Between Netflix, Hulu plus and Prime, we have plenty to watch. At first I was sad to not get the news, but now, eh.
Old 12-06-12, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't had cable for at least 4 yrs. I subscribe to Netflix but I also use torrents.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.