Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Cutting The Cord - Dropping Pay TV for Streaming

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-12, 02:39 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Re: Cutting The Cord - Dropping Pay TV for Streaming

Originally Posted by Ranger
American Horror Story can't be watched anywhere online legally either?
It's on Amazon Instant Video. Season 1 is free with Amazon Prime. Season 2 is $1.99 (SD) or $2.99 (HD) per episode.

Season 1 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SZADQS/
Season 2 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SJ47XA/
Old 12-08-12, 08:06 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been going up and down with the cable plans and finally are probably going to cut the tie after the football season and just get the basic channels, which for us would still include the local channels.

Since we have Netflix we'll be fine, but I do have this question...

how many devices can you stream Netflix on at any given time?

I have the Roku player in the bedroom which will probably get moved to my sons room since they have a wide selection of kids movies/shows and then we have the blu ray player from which I can stream Netflix.

Would it be possible to stream from both at the same time? If so, would there be any buffering issues? And if that's not possible, what would be a way around that? Another Netflix account?
Old 12-08-12, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Originally Posted by Ranger
American Horror Story can't be watched anywhere online legally either?
It's on Amazon Instant Video. Season 1 is free with Amazon Prime. Season 2 is $1.99 (SD) or $2.99 (HD) per episode.

Season 1 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SZADQS/
Season 2 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SJ47XA/
S1 is on Netflix now..
Old 12-08-12, 08:52 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
how many devices can you stream Netflix on at any given time?
Simultaneous Streams on Your Netflix Account

Once you have an active Netflix membership, you can have 6 devices registered to your account at any given time, and you may stream up to two (2) movies or TV shows at the same time.

If you would like to stream on more than two devices at once, simply open a second account using a different email address.

http://support.netflix.com/en/node/373#gsc.tab=0
Old 12-09-12, 08:10 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Thanks for that
Old 12-11-12, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

With the Disney titles added i'm thinking of going back to Netflix. When I first had it the streams played fine. A few months in i noticed a drop in speed and picture quality. I had to cancel cause it became unwatchable. Now i have HBO GO and the streaming is great on there with no buffering problems. It makes me wonder if Netfilx was Throttling my service since i was watching 4-6 hours a day.
Old 12-15-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like Time Warner is running some sort of holiday promo, internet only for 19.99

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home.html
Old 01-23-13, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya

BTW, I have a Lifetime Playon subscription and it's turned into a piece of shit. The streaming quality is garbage now. I tried playing a live sporting event off some random link and it's not watchable at all. I also tried watching something from Nat Geo and it's jerky as hell.
Are you still having issues with playon? This looks interesting but hadn't even heard of it until yesterday.
Old 01-23-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
With the Disney titles added i'm thinking of going back to Netflix. When I first had it the streams played fine. A few months in i noticed a drop in speed and picture quality. I had to cancel cause it became unwatchable. Now i have HBO GO and the streaming is great on there with no buffering problems. It makes me wonder if Netfilx was Throttling my service since i was watching 4-6 hours a day.
That sounds more like your ISP throttling you, I used to use Netflix a ton and never had an issue.
Old 01-23-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm thinking of cutting the cord, too. I can work around series and movies, but my big concern is MLB, specifically the Cubs and the post-season.
Old 01-23-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
I'm thinking of cutting the cord, too. I can work around series and movies, but my big concern is MLB, specifically the Cubs and the post-season.
If the Cubs are in your market, it will get blacked out on the Internet MLB Extra Innings package.

MLB will expect you to watch it on WGN or Comcast Chicago.
Old 01-23-13, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If the Cubs are in your market, it will get blacked out on the Internet MLB Extra Innings package.
They are and I'm already aware of that sad fact.
Old 01-23-13, 03:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

specifically the Cubs and the post-season.
You have no worries then!
Old 01-23-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Trevor
You have no worries then!
I should have said "specifically the Cubs for the miserable regular season and the exciting post-season occupied by teams other than the Cubs, a fact that I'm used after 4 decades of personal misery"...
Old 01-23-13, 03:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I should have said "specifically the Cubs for the miserable regular season and the exciting post-season occupied by teams other than the Cubs, a fact that I'm used after 4 decades of personal misery"...
My work partner is a Cubs fan, so I know your misery.

And if any non-Cubs fan can feel a Cubs fan misery, I may be qualified. I'm a diehard all-things Minnesota fan, and also a Washington sports team homer. Since 1991, I've endured approximately 160 losing seasons.

Edit to add: losing defined as non-Championship
Old 01-23-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

This seems well suited in this thread -

Netflix Shares Soar As Q4 Earnings Trounce Expectations

Shares are up more than 30% in after market trading following the company’s report of a Q4 profit — in contrast to the Street’s expectation for a loss. Netflix reported net income of $7.9M, down 77.6% vs the period last year, on revenues of $945.2M, +8%. Analysts expected revenues to come in lower at $934.1M. But the profit number was the big surprise: It amounts to 13 cents a share — a contrast to forecasts for a 13 cent loss. Investors also will be surprised by the subscription numbers. Netflix ended 2012 with 27.15M domestic streaming customers, an increase of 2.05M vs the previous quarter. That’s well ahead of company guidance, and analyst predictions for a 1.7M increase. International also was strong with 6.12M subscribers, +1.81M — beating the company’s most optimistic forecast for +1.44M. The good news extended to domestic DVD rentals. Netflix says 8.22M people subscribe, a loss of 380,000; the company had said it might lose at least 458,000. “The fact that our growth remains this strong despite intensifying competiton, and our already substantial U.S. market penetration, underlines the large opportunity ahead,” CEO Reed Hastings and CFO David Wells say in their quarterly note to shareholders.

The letter also says that execs have had “constructive conversations” with billionaire Carl Icahn who recently bought 10% of the stock and urged Hastings to consider selling Netflix. But it adds that the company has ”no further news about his intentions.” Hastings also says that February 1, when Netflix releases 13 episodes of its original series House Of Cards, will be “a defining moment in the development of Internet TV.”
In the last hour (after hours trading) the stock is up an additional 32.65 to 135.90, it started the day at 97.02.
Old 01-23-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I too am about to cut cable but I think cable companies saw this coming and most have implemented a data cap. I went from having no cap to a 200GB monthly cap last year on COX. Smart move by them I guess. Sucks for anyone who may be doing a lot of streaming.
Even worse though is upgrading only nets you an extra 50GB but the price jump is like $40
I'm thinking I can avoid going over though, by buying an HD antenna to get local stuff which is a majority of what we DVR and the 'other stuff' can be streamed via Netflix or Hulu or both.

My bill has gone up, yet I have had channels taken away from me and put into smaller 'packages' for me to pay for. So I used to get these channels for free, then they thought to put a neat little package together with a cool name and want to change me ... FU COX !

They haven't even added any new HD channels in who knows how long.
They just keep breaking up the channels and putting them in packages and what was once free is now a FEE
Old 01-24-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

MLB will expect you to watch it on WGN or Comcast Chicago.
Most people fake their IP address to get around regional restrictions. There are services that will make it look like you are an international viewer, who have no restrictions at all for the MLB package.
Originally Posted by VHS?
I too am about to cut cable but I think cable companies saw this coming and most have implemented a data cap. I went from having no cap to a 200GB monthly cap last year on COX. Smart move by them I guess. Sucks for anyone who may be doing a lot of streaming.
Even worse though is upgrading only nets you an extra 50GB but the price jump is like $40
I'm thinking I can avoid going over though, by buying an HD antenna to get local stuff which is a majority of what we DVR and the 'other stuff' can be streamed via Netflix or Hulu or both.

My bill has gone up, yet I have had channels taken away from me and put into smaller 'packages' for me to pay for. So I used to get these channels for free, then they thought to put a neat little package together with a cool name and want to change me ... FU COX !

They haven't even added any new HD channels in who knows how long.
They just keep breaking up the channels and putting them in packages and what was once free is now a FEE
It's not a coincidence that the cable providers started imposing serious data caps the minute people started shifting entertainment viewing towards the Internet. They have to protect their cushy profit margins from cable services.
Old 07-11-13, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

After taking a close look at my skyrocketing cable bill I'm leaning towards cutting the cord. Before I do so I want to try out how good the over-the-air signal is in my area with an antennae. I called the cable company to figure out new prices without the internet bundle ... predictably if I cut the cable tv cord internet goes up $20/mo (but it would still be a reasonable-seeming price what what has been a really good 30 Mbps service with no caps).

It's funny how the cable phone rep was willing to cut my monthly bill by $30 just to stay with them (but even with that, cutting the cord would still save me $60/mo). If nothing else, everyone with cable should at least threaten to leave once every year or two. Evidently cable employees will freely give out these kinds of discounts if someone takes a few minutes to call them and threaten leaving.
Old 07-14-13, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If it was just me I could because everything can be found online. I cannot justify the cost of high speed internet plus cable for stuff I can watch online. They need to work on their cable packages, you need five channels that are not part of what you get you have to add on the ENTIRE second level at forty plus dollars and that price is only for awhile. No, not for half a dozen channels.
Old 07-17-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

I've been slowing moving toward cutting the cord all summer long. Except for live sports and DVRing a couple of shows (including Doctor Who) I rarely watch TV programming anyway. Everything is pretty much Netflix, Netflix, Netflix...

The bundled service I get from my local mom-and-pop phone company costs $160/month. House-wide HD, 2x DVRs, 20/4 Broadband, Phone w/100 free long distance minutes. Cutting just the TV programming and increasing the Broadband to 30/5 will save $75/month. Leaving the Broadband at 20/4 will save an additional $30/month.

I have been experimenting with an XBMC device (a Raspberry Pi with OPENElec + XBMC Frodo 12.2) for a month now and really dig the programming I am getting from 1.Channel. The whole set up set me back about $100, including a nice Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo. Adding HuluPlus and Amazon Prime on top of Netflix will get me just about everything I can imagine EXCEPT for Live Sports and BBC America... and if I can't wait for Netflix to add Doctor Who or for Amazon to sell disks to me, I can purchase DW episodes ala carte for $3 each.... considering how much I should be saving $3 is a pittance.

The only hangup is live sports. I have no OTA access from Indy - too far away. I have pre-ordered the deluxe Madden 25 package (comes bundled with the 2013 NFL season streaming free via DirecTV) so I should be able to get by, but trying to figure out how to get that off a laptop and onto the big screen will be a challenge. If/once I crack that, then I'll get a VPN provider that can placeshift me to outside North America to allow me to purchase the sports programming I want.
Old 07-23-13, 02:55 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Most people fake their IP address to get around regional restrictions. There are services that will make it look like you are an international viewer, who have no restrictions at all for the MLB package.
I do that with MLB.tv to watch Tigers games. Also comes in handy for Netflix!
Old 07-23-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I do that with MLB.tv to watch Tigers games. Also comes in handy for Netflix!
Interesting....!
Old 07-23-13, 03:18 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Interesting....!
I know!!!
Old 07-23-13, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

MLB access is one of the things that keep my tethered to cable.
How's the picture/sound quality via MLB.tv...?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.