Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Hulu to start charging for content as early as 2010

Old 08-01-10, 06:29 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Hulu to start charging for content as early as 2010

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Since it has already been brought up, what comes with Playon Premium? I have a license as well and honestly haven't been paying much attention to the Playon emails.
"If you OPT to move to PlayOn Premium, you will get the new Comedy Central channel, NHL channel , PBS, TV.com, and the many new content channels we plan to release during the coming year."
vague I know... but I'm considering upgrading less on the content of Playon Premium (at least listed now), and more on my belief that support/techy updates for Playon basic will become nill, despite their assurances.
Old 08-01-10, 07:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got my invite for Hulu Plus but I've been sitting on it. I don't watch enough of the shows they've got on there to justify it. I've already got Netflix, and I think that's enough for me.
Old 10-26-10, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Rumored Hulu may be cutting price to $4.95...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/22/h...what-she-said/

For this price, I would bite. As soon as I can do it on PS3 that is.
Old 10-26-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I got my invite for Hulu Plus but I've been sitting on it.
same here.
Old 10-26-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Rumored Hulu may be cutting price to $4.95...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/22/h...what-she-said/

For this price, I would bite. As soon as I can do it on PS3 that is.
I would definitely look again.
Old 11-17-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hulu Plus is now open to anyone to join and the price has been lowered to $7.99 a month. Preview subscribers will be credited $2 per month for every month they've been a member.

Also, the Hulu Plus channel just launched on Roku boxes. Load times are pretty good and the picture quality looks decent. IMHO, its better than Hulu Plus on the PS3. Still sick of the commercials though.
Old 11-17-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cory02
Also, the Hulu Plus channel just launched on Roku boxes. Load times are pretty good and the picture quality looks decent. IMHO, its better than Hulu Plus on the PS3. Still sick of the commercials though.
Yay. The PlayOn on the Roku really sucked for me. Just kept getting stuck in loops.
Old 11-17-10, 03:14 PM
Banned by request

I've got a referral link if anyone wants two free trial weeks of Hulu Plus.
Old 11-17-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm interested, but I won't be able to use it until December or January Too much end-of-year / holiday crap coming up.
Old 11-17-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested.
Old 11-17-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Cory02
Hulu Plus is now open to anyone to join and the price has been lowered to $7.99 a month. Preview subscribers will be credited $2 per month for every month they've been a member.
God dammit I was afraid of that. Oh well...I snoozed.
Old 11-20-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I know this has been answered but I can't find it right off the bat, with Hulu Plus will they have complete seasons for ALL shows or just select shows.
Old 11-20-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I know this has been answered but I can't find it right off the bat, with Hulu Plus will they have complete seasons for ALL shows or just select shows.
Here's the gist:

Current season 2010-11
FOX/NBC/ABC shows produced by those networks, all the shows will stay up the entire season with no expiration dates. If a show is produced by a different studio, Fringe (WB), then it has an expiration date.

They have select shows with back catalogue from previous seasons both current and cancelled.
Old 11-21-10, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya
Here's the gist:

Current season 2010-11
FOX/NBC/ABC shows produced by those networks, all the shows will stay up the entire season with no expiration dates. If a show is produced by a different studio, Fringe (WB), then it has an expiration date.

They have select shows with back catalogue from previous seasons both current and cancelled.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is season 3 of Sons Of Anarchy available with Hulu-plus?

How about seasons 1 & 2?
Old 11-21-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
Is season 3 of Sons Of Anarchy available with Hulu-plus?

How about seasons 1 & 2?
No back seasons of SOA. FX delays putting new eps on there for 1 month. And they only keep the last couple of episodes and there is expiration dates.

Only the network shows produced by ABC, NBC or FOX are on Hulu Plus with no expiration dates. And only select shows from them have back seasons.
Old 08-03-11, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just signed up for the free week+month free trial, and I am completely unimpressed so far. Other than the Criterion section, the rest of the site seems incredibly lacking. Either what I want to watch only has a handful of episodes, or I can't view what I want anywhere other than on my computer, and various other things like that.
Old 08-03-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Brent L
I just signed up for the free week+month free trial, and I am completely unimpressed so far. Other than the Criterion section, the rest of the site seems incredibly lacking. Either what I want to watch only has a handful of episodes, or I can't view what I want anywhere other than on my computer, and various other things like that.
Not sure what your expecting/looking for, but did you read my post #163? That's the gist of what your going to get if you sign up for Hulu Plus TV-wise.

Cable shows are delayed anywhere from 7 days to 13 weeks and aren't available to stream on your TV. Do you really think USA, SyFy or FX will give away their content for nothing?

Plus, I think there are rights issues getting the content for 16:9 720P for your TV.

Other than Criterion/Miramax, the movie selection isn't very comprehensive.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-03-11 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-03-11, 09:04 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

+1

I subscribed for about 6 weeks and ran out of stuff I wanted to watch. Too much content can't be viewed on a TV. And the commercials (forced and repetitive) were annoying. I wouldn't mind them if the service was free.

If you could watch all the Hulu content on a TV without commercials, I'd gladly pay double (maybe triple) the current price. But in it's current state, I don't think it's worth paying for.
Old 08-03-11, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
+1

I subscribed for about 6 weeks and ran out of stuff I wanted to watch. Too much content can't be viewed on a TV. And the commercials (forced and repetitive) were annoying. I wouldn't mind them if the service was free.

If you could watch all the Hulu content on a TV without commercials, I'd gladly pay double (maybe triple) the current price. But in it's current state, I don't think it's worth paying for.
So everything you wanted to watch was not an NBC, FOX or ABC produced show? Because that's the only content that stays up with no expiration dates for Hulu Plus.

Chuck, Fringe (shows produced by other studios) and most cable shows don't have the rights to stream on your TV and have expiration dates with limited availability.

There are select cable shows like Hot in Cleveland and a few TV land shows, Teen Wolf and ABC Family shows that are available on Hulu Plus.
Old 08-03-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know what to expect, but I certainly expected better than this. It is absolutely not worth costing the same as Netflix streaming, that much I know for sure, at least IMO. It doesn't even compare.

I sure with the Criterion made the deal with Netflix instead. If that was the case Hulu wouldn't even have been on my radar.
Old 08-03-11, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The latest WD TV Live Plus firmware update has added Hulu Plus.
Old 08-03-11, 10:53 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

So everything you wanted to watch was not an NBC, FOX or ABC produced show? Because that's the only content that stays up with no expiration dates for Hulu Plus.

Chuck, Fringe (shows produced by other studios) and most cable shows don't have the rights to stream on your TV and have expiration dates with limited availability.
All I know is that I saw tons of cool stuff I wanted to watch on the Hulu website. And when I paid for the premium service, I got a whole lot less than what I expected. Almost everything I was looking forward to watching wasn't available for TV streaming.

It's too bad. On the surface Hulu+ looks really good. But my experience was disappointing.

I didn't know what to expect, but I certainly expected better than this. It is absolutely not worth costing the same as Netflix streaming, that much I know for sure, at least IMO. It doesn't even compare.
Exactly.
Old 08-03-11, 10:57 PM
Banned by request

But even a lot of those aren't available to stream on TV or mobile devices.
Old 08-04-11, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Do the Criterion movies have commercial interruptions? I can't imagine a company like that letting their stuff be shown with them.

Had a week's free trial on my Vizio TV when the app for it came out- cancelled it mainly because it overlays network logos over most of the current shows (they're not on the actual video; they're overlayed separately- if you stretch the picture the bugs stay the same, and using Hulu Desktop on my computer they aren't there at all.) When I cancelled online they had a space to tell my reason for cancelling. I really don't approve of paying for anything that's ad-supported either, and it seems Hulu is trying to increase the amount of commercials. Online lately I've noticed them running 2 commercials per break when they used to run just 1. When something doesn't have a sponsor, they'll run a PSA, usually the same one many times.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.