Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Hulu to start charging for content as early as 2010

Old 08-04-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hulu to start charging for content as early as 2010

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Do the Criterion movies have commercial interruptions?
No.
Old 08-04-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just cancelled Hulu Plus after a free month thanks due to having a .edu email address.

Here's what I hated:

1. Content. There's not a lot of strong content to make the price of $7.99 a month justified. It doesn't help matters that a lot of the content can also be seen on Netflix for the same price (and you get a lot more with the Netflix service too).

2. Similar to the content, I hate that a lot of shows allow you to only watch either the current season or just the past episode or two. For example...
  • My wife and I wanted to watch the US version of Kitchen Nightmares. Only the most current season is available on Hulu Plus despite the fact that the US version of Hell's Kitchen, who is put together by the same production company, has all seasons currently available on the service.
  • Why can I watch seasons one, two, or fourteen of Road Rules but nothing in-between?
  • ABC Family shows. My wife (unfortunately) loves them. However, you only get access to the last episode or two or the unfortunate...
3. WEB ONLY. If I'm paying for a service that allows me to watch your content via Xbox Live, PS3, iOS, whatever; allow me to watch your content on those devices. When discovering that a show you want to watch is Web Only, it feels that it's Hulu Plus' way of telling you to go fuck yourself.

4. Commercials. If I'm paying for a service, why are there commercials? Okay. It's not that much of a criticism as I knew what I was getting into. However, as much as I tried to fine tune what commercials were played using Hulu's tools; I always got the same, goddamn Gerber commercials. Just because I'm young and married does not mean I want children.

While Hulu Plus is a great idea, the execution sucks. I hope whoever purchases them has a clear idea on what the hell they're doing.
Old 08-04-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just went to check out some of the recent WWE shows that I have heard have had pretty good matches on them that I've been ignoring lately. So I went to NXT and nope, web only. How about Superstars? Nope, web only. I checked all of the WWE material, and all of it is web only. Ugh.

It seems like everything I try to watch either isn't there or wont stream on any devices.

And yes, I agree with your #3 comment above, in a big way.

So far, to me and what I'd use it for, the only thing that seems useful to me is the Criterion collection. It's unfortunate that they went with Hulu instead of Netflix.
Old 08-04-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The "web only" bullshit is easily the worst thing about Hulu Plus.
Old 08-04-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have Hulu+ for one reason, I can watch it on my HDTV using the PS3. My DVR timeshifting gets so complicated on Sunday nights during football season that I need another way to watch some of the shows. Other than that, I hate the service and feel like I am getting ripped off.
Why does it seem like every commercial break is 1 minute now? I miss the days of 15-30 second breaks. I even had a 90 second commercial break a few weeks ago.
Old 08-04-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would never get Hulu Plus because of the web only stuff, but if you really want to watch it in your TV you can install something like PlayOn in your PC and stream to your PS3 or Xbox360, or some other DLNA devices. That's an extra step, and it may not be feasible for some people, or a lot of work, but if you really want everything in your PC that's an alternative.
Old 01-28-12, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a question about hulu plus? I just canceled my cable and got high speed internet instead. I can stream hulu through my playstation 3, and I tried the 7 day trial for hulu but quikcly canceled it. Does every network (broadcast and cable) put there show on hulu plus. I was thinking the 7 day trail didn't include every thing they offered. Such as with ABC I couldn't find Suburgatory or the Bachelor on it. Then which cable networks offer shows through Hulu plus.
Old 01-28-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We are getting rid of the dish soon.. and I was thinking about getting hulu plus. reading some comments here have me concerned.. so much so I just did a quick search of some of the show I currently dvr.. ouch. Only 2 of the 20 timers are currently on hulu. Not good.
Old 01-28-12, 11:13 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I have a question about hulu plus? I just canceled my cable and got high speed internet instead. I can stream hulu through my playstation 3, and I tried the 7 day trial for hulu but quikcly canceled it. Does every network (broadcast and cable) put there show on hulu plus. I was thinking the 7 day trail didn't include every thing they offered. Such as with ABC I couldn't find Suburgatory or the Bachelor on it. Then which cable networks offer shows through Hulu plus.
I subscribed to hulu plus a while ago. If memory serves me right, they don't have any cbs shows. And some shows, like American Horror Story and Happy Endings, aren't available on it. It is kind of hit and miss.
Old 01-28-12, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

American Horror Story and Happy Endings are there, but prob have to wait a while for new episodes (like with many other shows). Hulu Plus doesn't get around all that, so it's hard to figure it out.

It's cool that they recently added the CW shows since I don't have those on-demand.

CBS has a lot of their shows on-line, but every time there's a commercial, it exits full-secreen. So annoying!
Old 01-29-12, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've explained how Hulu Plus works several times in multiple threads.

Here's the lowdown once again:

CBS: None of their shows are available. CBS had said multiple times they don't support Hulu. They only post 1-2 episodes at a time on their website for their popular shows.

NBC: Most of their shows are available. Shows produced by NBC-Universal are available and can be streamed through XBox, PS3 etc. Any other studio is web only meaning you can only watch it on your PC or Mac.

The CW: All their shows are available on Hulu Plus. But, they only post 5 at a time.

ABC: Most of their shows are available. If it's a show produced by ABC Studios, then yes. Any other studio like Sony (Happy Endings) or Warner Brothers (The Middle, Suburgatory) is web only.

FOX: If it's produced by FOX, the yes it's available. It will be posted the day after it airs. Non-Hulu Plus subscribers have an 8 day delay and you need to log in with a participating TV provider. Shows produced by other studios like Warner Brothers (Fringe, Alcatraz) have an 8 day delay and are web only.

Cable:

FX, USA and SyFy: All of their shows are Web Only. They are posted on regular Hulu and they are delayed 1 month after they air and are only available online 2 weeks.

Example: The new season of Justified is delayed 1 month. Meaning you won't be able to see Tuesday's new episode until February 28th.

Sons of Anarchy is no longer available online.

**Anything that is "Web Only" will have a 2 week to 1 month posting period for regular Hulu. Once that period expires, the content is pulled.

TNT: Does not support Hulu. You need to be registered with a TV provider to view their content online.

Make sense? Does that clear everything up?

I subscribe to Hulu Plus as a supplement to my Directv for time conflicts. It's no way shape or form a good cheap alternative to cable unless you love to watch TV sitting on front of a PC.
Old 01-29-12, 07:32 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

your last comment isn't correct. Roku supports Hulu plus so you could, in fact, watch it on your television.

you can also pay for the PlayOn program and watch regular Hulu content on your Roku as well.
Old 01-29-12, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
It's no way shape or form a good cheap alternative to cable unless you love to watch TV sitting on front of a PC.
Get your facts straight. HPlus can be watched on a TV streamed from numerous devices. Don't post blatantly erroneous information.
Old 01-29-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wasn't posting blatantly erroneous information. Maybe I wasn't a little more clearer, but if you read my comment earlier, I posted that the shows produced by their respective networks are on Hulu Plus and can be streamed through XBox, PS3 etc.

I was trying to clarify to BlueLightSpecial by my last comment that Hulu/Hulu Plus isn't the most ideal hub to watch all the networks off the Internet through his TV if he can no longer afford cable as alot of shows and networks don't support it and alot of the material is web only. And I made it clear as well that alot of cable shows aren't on Hulu/Hulu Plus and the ones that are have long delays. And yes, I know about PlayOn, but that is an additional $80 download (it's $50 right now for a few more days) and the web only material can't be viewed on HD though on your console/Roku. The shows that he asked about (Suburgatory and The Bachelor) are web only and that's why I said sitting in front of his PC.
Old 01-29-12, 01:05 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

well, I would consider Hulu Plus if they got rid of the fucking commercials.
Old 01-29-12, 05:27 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
American Horror Story and Happy Endings are there, but prob have to wait a while for new episodes (like with many other shows). Hulu Plus doesn't get around all that, so it's hard to figure it out.
I guess I should rephrase, maybe those two shows are available on hulu plus, but they show as not being available to watch on hulu plus through a tv.
Old 01-30-12, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
well, I would consider Hulu Plus if they got rid of the fucking commercials.
Yep. Tried it for a month, then asked myself why I'm paying them to show me commercials.
Old 01-30-12, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Yep. Tried it for a month, then asked myself why I'm paying them to show me commercials.
Well, does Hulu Plus have the commercials? I got the impression that the free sample (the "Trial" version) would include commercials but they'd be gone after that.
Old 01-30-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

My friend subscribes to it and it still shows commercials. It also places network logos onscreen for most of the shows (those are avoidable if you use Hulu Desktop.)
Old 01-31-12, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
Well, does Hulu Plus have the commercials? I got the impression that the free sample (the "Trial" version) would include commercials but they'd be gone after that.
Nope, Hulu Plus has commercials too. It was Hulu Plus that I tried. No commercials on the Criterion movies, though. Everything else I watched had them.
Old 06-13-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A report from the link below indicates DirecTV is the likely victor in the bidding for Hulu. If that is the case, I'm excited to see how they can incorporate this technology into their set top boxes. Maybe all DirecTV subs get a free Hulu+ account or something.

http://pandodaily.com/2013/06/13/sou...t-makes-sense/
Old 06-13-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
A report from the link below indicates DirecTV is the likely victor in the bidding for Hulu. If that is the case, I'm excited to see how they can incorporate this technology into their set top boxes. Maybe all DirecTV subs get a free Hulu+ account or something.

http://pandodaily.com/2013/06/13/sou...t-makes-sense/
That would be great if they get it. Probably will help their ability to license more content.
Old 06-13-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

As long as I don't lose Fox shows I'm good. That seems to be all I watch during the summer (Catching up on New Girl and Mindy, watching Masterchef.)
Old 06-13-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have DirecTV so that would be mad tite yo.
Old 06-13-13, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If DTV wins, that means pay access is the future of Hulu. If Yahoo had won if would have gone the other way. I've tried Hulu+ a couple times and found it lacking. I just hope whatever happens it becomes more compelling.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.