Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Old 03-20-16, 10:38 PM
  #326  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,112
Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Expanding more on value vs. price (and it looks like most everyone agrees Amazon adds value)...

Selling on value instead of price (and that "value" can be a lot of different things) is the preferred method of doing business for most companies.

A retail example is Wal-Mart vs. Target. Of course, Wal-Mart has cheaper products, but Target has the value of a pleasant shopping experience at their locations. Target doesn't have to lower their prices to match Wal-Mart. If the consumer values the pleasant shopping experience, that is built into Target's prices.

For the most part, Target is priced competitively with Wal-Mart (most products only being a few cents more than WM), so that's great.
Old 03-23-16, 04:53 PM
  #327  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 962
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by trevor View Post
As fumanstan points out, you're absolutely ridiculous and add a lot of humor to the forum.
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Well then, at least I add value to the forum, if not to Amazon. Much obliged!
Then we may as well be neighbors, because I do the same thing! There are 5 grocery stores (used to be 6, but they're building another one) within 2 miles of my house, a mall, a Lowes, and a fair amount of everything else. Walking to the store is good exercise. What I don't have locally, I typically pass on my 30-minute work commute, so it's not really going out of my way.

I did just spend about $80 at amazon.uk. Want to take advantage of the insanely low exchange rate while I can. I also spent $49.35 with Amazon US: two "fulfilled by Amazon" DVD's (one long out of print...that's one of Amazons' virtues, as few merchants offer that depth of merchandise, even indirectly) and a CD on my wants list since 2014. Free shipping, of course.
Old 03-23-16, 07:08 PM
  #328  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Like I said, it really depends on your buying habits. I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or another to like Amazon or not (this is the complaints thread, after all), I just hate the generalizations about Amazon and that people who DO shop there are somehow blind followers and getting scammed by Prime or their other services.
Old 03-24-16, 12:29 PM
  #329  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,824
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Like I said, it really depends on your buying habits. I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or another to like Amazon or not (this is the complaints thread, after all), I just hate the generalizations about Amazon and that people who DO shop there are somehow blind followers and getting scammed by Prime or their other services.
Apparently it has become the hip thing to bitch about Amazon and their customers. Usually by people too cheap to pony up for prime. For $33 a year now, I get free two day shipping on everything I order, no minimums to worry about, access to many prime only deals among other incentives. Prime actually saves me money each year.
Old 03-25-16, 02:08 AM
  #330  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,733
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Like I said, it really depends on your buying habits. I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or another to like Amazon or not (this is the complaints thread, after all), I just hate the generalizations about Amazon and that people who DO shop there are somehow blind followers and getting scammed by Prime or their other services.
The way I rationalized it was it will come in VERY handy during single-ticket items that go on DOD, or Lightning Deals, especially during holidays, and I can just buy that single item, versus trying to find something in the last desperate second to meet the free shipping mark, probably not needing the products.
Old 03-28-16, 06:55 PM
  #331  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,856
Received 310 Likes on 241 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
For $33 a year now, I get free two day shipping on everything I order, no minimums to worry about, access to many prime only deals among other incentives. Prime actually saves me money each year.
Well, you must be truly special because you've figured out a way to save $67 a year on Prime. I agree, at $33 a year, Prime would be within the realm of affordability, perhaps even offer some value, but not at $99.

Enlighten us complainers, if you will be so bold, as to how you've managed to skim $66 a year off Amazon's Prime expensive rate.

BTW: Congrats on your coup of "reverse" scamming Amazon the $67 a year's savings on Prime's cost.
Old 03-28-16, 08:01 PM
  #332  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 22,029
Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

He probably shares the cost and some of the benefits with family. I know we do.
Old 03-28-16, 11:15 PM
  #333  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Yeah, it was fairly common and often discussed that under the old Prime account settings you could share your free shipping with 4 "family" members.

They've changed it though, so you can now only share with 1 household member (although they get the other Prime benefits like streaming whereas the previous one only allowed for the free shipping). Although they haven't forced people to change if they're set up under the old account sharing method.
Old 03-29-16, 12:05 PM
  #334  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,824
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
He probably shares the cost and some of the benefits with family. I know we do.
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Yeah, it was fairly common and often discussed that under the old Prime account settings you could share your free shipping with 4 "family" members.

They've changed it though, so you can now only share with 1 household member (although they get the other Prime benefits like streaming whereas the previous one only allowed for the free shipping). Although they haven't forced people to change if they're set up under the old account sharing method.
Yeah. It really isn't rocket science. Although, apparently, it was too advanced for some to figure out.
I have heard mention that people are still able to split prime. Seems to involve using the same login credentials, and payment. Usually gift cards.
Old 04-01-16, 07:01 AM
  #335  
kd5
DVD Talk Legend
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 11,103
Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

My wife & I don't have anyone we can share the expense with so $99 becomes the amount we have to shell out. Stop acting so sanctimonious just because you found a way to cheat the system, some people aren't so lucky.
Old 04-01-16, 09:46 AM
  #336  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

I don't see how anyone is acting "sanctimonious" about it, especially when you consider it as a response to to the tone that zyzzle originally posted.

I also wouldn't call it cheating the system, since it was a feature that Amazon allowed for quite some time.
Old 04-01-16, 11:49 AM
  #337  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,824
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
My wife & I don't have anyone we can share the expense with so $99 becomes the amount we have to shell out. Stop acting so sanctimonious just because you found a way to cheat the system, some people aren't so lucky.
Who is being sanctimonius and who is cheating the system? No need to be bitter just because you missed out on getting a deal on Prime.
Old 04-01-16, 12:00 PM
  #338  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 46,452
Received 330 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

kd5 probably took it as a response to him rather than to zyzzle.
Old 04-01-16, 09:39 PM
  #339  
kd5
DVD Talk Legend
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 11,103
Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

I considered myself to be of the same opinion as zyzzle, in the same camp so to speak, and made my post based on that assumption. The part of your post that rankled, and prompted my reponse was with the comment: "...apparently, it was too advanced for some to figure out."

I'm happy you're able to split the cost of Prime with friends and family, if I sounded "bitter" with my comment, I'm really not. You should choose your words more carefully however, so will I.
Old 04-02-16, 10:45 AM
  #340  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Again, not to speak for jjcool but zyzzle's response and accusations to an otherwise innocuous post about Prime seemed to spark the snarky reply
Old 04-02-16, 10:58 AM
  #341  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 46,452
Received 330 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Again, not to speak for jjcool but zyzzle's response and accusations to an otherwise innocuous post about Prime seemed to spark the snarky reply
This, plus the fact that zyzzle's near-entire posting history has been about the evils of Amazon and other big companies. So don't take it as directed at you, kd5.
Old 04-12-16, 12:22 AM
  #342  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
davidlynchfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,442
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

zyzzle is getting slammed. By who you ask? Prime Members.
Old 04-12-16, 11:43 AM
  #343  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 14,112
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

I don't have Prime, yet I order quite a bit from Amazon. Using their subscribe and save, the 15% discount usually puts non-perishables below the cost of local grocery stores or WalMart, plus free shipping. Some things are higher on Amazon, and I'll go locally, but Amazon is always my first stop if I don't need something right away.
Old 04-15-16, 01:25 AM
  #344  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 36,724
Received 869 Likes on 632 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

I was just looking around on Amazon and noticed that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is now an Amazon Prime exclusive. Both DVD and blu-ray.

This is probably the biggest release of the year and they've made it a Prime exclusive a week after its release.

WTF? Do they think people who don't already have Prime are going to pay $100 for the privelage of being able to buy this title from Amazon?

Bought my copy from Best Buy last week (wanted to make sure I didn't get a stacker case), but these Prime exclusives really piss me off.
Old 04-15-16, 02:12 AM
  #345  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,225
Received 464 Likes on 372 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I was just looking around on Amazon and noticed that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is now an Amazon Prime exclusive. Both DVD and blu-ray.

This is probably the biggest release of the year and they've made it a Prime exclusive a week after its release.

WTF? Do they think people who don't already have Prime are going to pay $100 for the privelage of being able to buy this title from Amazon?

Bought my copy from Best Buy last week (wanted to make sure I didn't get a stacker case), but these Prime exclusives really piss me off.

You get a lot for that $100 - it's worth it.
Old 04-15-16, 02:33 AM
  #346  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,856
Received 310 Likes on 241 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
You get a lot for that $100 - it's worth it.
To Amazon, yes, it's worth it, for their pockets are well-lined and getting heavy. For infrequent customers, it's certainly not.
Old 04-15-16, 03:17 AM
  #347  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

The Prime exclusive thing is the biggest bullshit from Amazon.
Old 04-15-16, 12:26 PM
  #348  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,824
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

So don't buy the movie from Amazon. It really isn't that hard. Like was previously said, it is the biggest release of the year. There are plenty of places to buy it.
Old 04-15-16, 01:14 PM
  #349  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,225
Received 464 Likes on 372 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
To Amazon, yes, it's worth it, for their pockets are well-lined and getting heavy. For infrequent customers, it's certainly not.

For frequent buyers it is. Infrequent buyers can take their business elsewhere, so what's the problem?

Why would someone get upset that Amazon has made the biggest film of all time a PRIME only exclusive? It seems like smart business from them since they don't want infrequent buyers' money they want money from frequent buyers.
Old 04-15-16, 03:05 PM
  #350  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,954
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
For frequent buyers it is. Infrequent buyers can take their business elsewhere, so what's the problem?
Except for the frequent buyers for whom it isn't. But of course there's no reason to respect, or even acknowledge, those fellow frequent customers when they don't fit into one's narrative.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.