Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

If you're aware of AWS and are a fan of Whole Foods why are you so sure Amazon is heading downwards, towards failure?
Old 07-24-18, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee
Ebay is up 39 percent since they split into separate companies.

If that's failing, please share your view on other failures as I may have to look into purchasing their stock.
They're a good case of why I don't partake in the stock market. It's all based on speculation. I'd rather open a carwash than invest in Wall Street. Here's an article that has some insight about Ebay.

https://investorplace.com/2017/09/eb...naround-story/

Ebay has been labeled one of the worst-run companies in the world. They're coasting on the brand and lack of disruption. Their actual platform is garbage. They will be out like a light (similar to Myspace -> Facebook) when its legitimate competition makes it to market.

Other notes: They recently had to lay off 1600 employees. Again. And they've been cannibalizing other acquisitions post-PayPal to make their reports look better. In example, they paid $2.4B for GSI Commerce (a fulfillment company for lots of big brands). And liquidated it for $925M. Fulfillment services are one of the hottest markets right now. It takes effort to drive that into the ground.
Old 07-24-18, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
"Legitimate" reviews are questionable too. These are customer reviews, not journalism. At that link I posted, those douchebags take pride in creating a case against your negative review, by cross-referencing your social media accounts, and looking for any dirt against you online. It's pretty fucking creepy. All in defense of someone putting out a lousy product that attracts a negative review.

By deleting my reviews and banning me from posting any reviews in the future, Amazon delegitimized tens-or-hundreds of millions of existing reviews. Between sellers paying for positive reviews, paying to remove negative reviews, and having accounts "wiped clean" (like mine), there's no truth to any review on there.

Amazon reviews no longer mean anything to me. And Amazon should just get rid of the entire review portion of their website if they're going to allow this kind of activity.

I mentioned I rarely leave a negative review for any product. Looking back at my order history, I suspect it was from ONE set of curtains I purchased, which looked much different in the pictures than they did in real life. So my review was probably 5 or 7 sentences, and said something like, "these don't look the way they do in the pictures. The actual color is much more faded and not the "gem" color you see in the pics. I will be returning these." I didn't reference the seller or service. I don't think I broke any rules. If I had to guess, I'd say it was that review is what got me kicked off. The private label brand probably paid a third party company to harass Amazon Customer Service until they caved and removed the review, which then blocked my account from ever writing a review again.

I also question the legitimacy of any "Top Reviewer". As I don't understand how anyone, other than a professional reviewer, could be leaving thousands of lengthy reviews. I know they started investigating and banning reviewers who are suspected of taking compensation (money or free product) from the seller. That was a discussion a year-or-so ago when they made changes (and I think the story made the news).

For what it's worth, I checked Google, and this seems to be a relatively common problem. I'm not the only buyer who's been incorrectly banned from leaving reviews.
The signal-to-noise ratio on Amazon's reviews has gone down each year over the past decade. You have manufacturers gaming the system, Amazon discovering that negative reviews seriously hurt product sales, and increasingly less educated customers participating. There is less and less reason to pay attention to them or write a review for Amazon.

The Amazon of today relies on network effects - they have built up such a gigantic customer base of paying members and the truly unique Prime distribution network for delivery across the country, they have no real competition as retail shifts from brick-and-mortar to the Internet. Virtually every Internet-shopping adult in the United States uses Amazon for something.

Even if Amazon stopped innovating tomorrow, they will coast off their built-up advantages for decades and decades.

They aren't the customer-friendly company they were a decade ago, when attracting customers was still the top priority. They are now in the business phase of maximizing profitability by extracting as much as they can from their customer base.

The only company with even a chance at disrupting Amazon is Walmart, but Walmart appears perfectly content controlling the remaining brick-and-mortar retail space. It would likely take some combination of Apple, using its huge cash reserves, joining up with Walmart to take Amazon head-on.
Old 07-25-18, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
If the Whole Foods around me are any indication, they're doing very well. A new giant store just opened in a mall; took the floor space of JC Penny. Giant two story Whole Foods.
For people with loads of money to spend, but very poor financial management skills. Spend, spend, spend, foodies, and enjoy your 3x-4x markup! The monthly rents on such a place must be exhorbitant, that cost is being passed right along to those same foodies...
Old 07-25-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

They aren't the customer-friendly company they were a decade ago, when attracting customers was still the top priority. They are now in the business phase of maximizing profitability by extracting as much as they can from their customer base.

The only company with even a chance at disrupting Amazon is Walmart, but Walmart appears perfectly content controlling the remaining brick-and-mortar retail space. It would likely take some combination of Apple, using its huge cash reserves, joining up with Walmart to take Amazon head-on.
Quoted for truth! Agree wholeheartedly. Amazon is a titan, too big for its britches, and well-nigh indestructable at this point.

More competition is good, that is why I'm so against Amazon being so big, it hurts the customers in the long run. Walmart needs to survive to give people the freedom of choice in purchasing goods and staples. Long-live Walmart, even though I'm not that much of a Wal-mart fan, either. But they, Target, and Costco need to exist for the good of society.
Old 07-26-18, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
For people with loads of money to spend, but very poor financial management skills. Spend, spend, spend, foodies, and enjoy your 3x-4x markup! The monthly rents on such a place must be exhorbitant, that cost is being passed right along to those same foodies...
Yes and no.

Yes, "Whole Paycheck" is a pretty fair response to the pricing of "free range" meat and poultry etc.

No, nothing to do with the cost of leases. If anything, supply is much higher than demand with the reduction of all of the brick and mortar of the last several years. For example, I live in the Northeast where Pathmark and Waldbaum grocery store locations still have not found new tenants.

It's not just retail. The WSJ had an article back a few years ago sharing how Amazon was making a killing getting warehousing on the cheap because of the over-supply of large and empty warehouses in New Jersey (convenient for serving the tri-state area).
Old 07-26-18, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Whole Foods is expensive, and some people probably shop there for prestige, but some make that choice for reasons of fair trade, ethical treatment of animals, and sustainable resources. They don't deserve derision for "poor financial management skills."
Old 07-26-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle
If you have an issue with people who pay 3-4x markup on products, I really hope you never see what the base cost is for a BD disc...
Old 07-26-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Has anyone noticed that in some instances Amazon doesn't even give a firm shipment date?

I ordered a couple of BD's on Sunday (New releases that were supposed to come out on Tuesday) and usually they would come the day they're released. I guess not anymore. I got a Will be arriving "July 27-31". And for the record, it still hasn't shipped yet.

So has Amazon stopped delivering new releases on Tuesday now? I don't care as I'm in no rush to get them, but I could see many being annoyed by this.
Old 07-26-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No issues for me with Prime. I had a Final Fantasy art book on preorder which arrived on its release day this past Fri. It always tells me when things will arrive because it's always 2 day shipping.
Old 07-26-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I have Prime too. Just puzzled why they gave a vague shipment date.
Old 07-26-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Strange. Maybe it has to do with how close/far you are from a DC?
Old 07-26-18, 01:41 PM

If you have an issue with people who pay 3-4x markup on products, I really hope you never see what the base cost is for a BD disc...
Funny. That's hitting him where he lives.
Old 07-26-18, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Has anyone noticed that in some instances Amazon doesn't even give a firm shipment date?

I ordered a couple of BD's on Sunday (New releases that were supposed to come out on Tuesday) and usually they would come the day they're released. I guess not anymore. I got a Will be arriving "July 27-31". And for the record, it still hasn't shipped yet.

So has Amazon stopped delivering new releases on Tuesday now? I don't care as I'm in no rush to get them, but I could see many being annoyed by this.
So .... you don't care, but you decided to post it anyway. Got it.

What you described happened to me as well. But, I had weeks to place a pre-order and when I waited to the night of the last day (Sunday) to place a two-day order, it didn't work out. What a surprise.

Reality is that I have weeks of new stuff that I haven't opened. Reality is a bitch.
Old 07-26-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
Whole Foods is expensive, and some people probably shop there for prestige, but some make that choice for reasons of fair trade, ethical treatment of animals, and sustainable resources. They don't deserve derision for "poor financial management skills."
... and that's the right of those people, I agree. Excepting sustainable resources, I couldn't care less about those issues, and don't care to share the 'burden' of that very, very high markup. So, I'll continue to shop at 'normal' grocery stores like Kroger, Albertsons, and Stater Bros. and leave all the fawning and falderal to those with the expendable cash to feel good about "not hurting the poor animals" (which are going to be 'hurt' -- and killed for food, anyway!).
Old 07-27-18, 09:26 AM

So ... Amazon reported yesterday (Thursday).

Record profits (by a long-shot) but revenue growth slowed from the prior 2nd Quarter.

Amazon was mum about Whole Foods results which likely means that they were disappointing.

Meanwhile, the beat goes on with the stock at 1,853 per share, near a record high.

Old 07-27-18, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And they're inching closer to passing Apple as the most valuable company in the world.
Old 07-27-18, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

No issues for me with Prime. I had a Final Fantasy art book on preorder which arrived on its release day this past Fri. It always tells me when things will arrive because it's always 2 day shipping.
Unrelated, but did you order the Final Fantasy Ultimania book? I just got it, it's awesome.
Old 07-27-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Unrelated, but did you order the Final Fantasy Ultimania book? I just got it, it's awesome.
Yup; that's the one. Fuckin fantastic book. I pre ordered Vol 2 within a couple minutes of opening Vol 1.
Old 07-28-18, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
I have Prime too. Just puzzled why they gave a vague shipment date.
They probably aren’t in stock. Or moving from one warehouse to another. Amazon puts inbound products up for sale before they are shelved. Normally when they’re recorded as in transit via shipment manifest.
Old 08-05-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Ebay has been labeled one of the worst-run companies in the world. They're coasting on the brand and lack of disruption. Their actual platform is garbage. They will be out like a light (similar to Myspace -> Facebook) when its legitimate competition makes it to market.
Just a followup to this... I just went to use Close5 (similar to OfferUp and LetItGo) today. First time in a long time. Apparently, Ebay's executives drove that into the ground too. It's gone. At a time when local-thrift sales are thriving via the other two apps. Ebay has unequivocal budgets, compared to the two other apps, and it failed.
Old 08-24-18, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't know where else to post this:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 08-24-18, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Amazon's Prime Video selection better get...better, as this will be just another justification to dump them when my next sub comes due next year.
Old 08-25-18, 09:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Amazon's own "Premium" delivery carrier sucks.
Had three packages that I ordered, all with 1- or 2-day delivery.
Two days later, I got one of the packages, but not the other two. No explanation, just "nope, not today, fam."
I've rarely had this kind of issue with other carriers, and I don't want this to become a common occurrence. Is there any way to ensure you're not forced to use their shitty in-house carrier when you place an order?
Old 08-25-18, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never heard of the term astroturf account before.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.