Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Recent Amazon Price Error: You'll be charged unless you return!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Recent Amazon Price Error: You'll be charged unless you return!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I just also got off the phone with their customer service. The "team leader" was pretty rude, and when I said that I wouldn't be sending back the items he told me I would be charged the full amount. I asked him when that would happen, and he said it would be after the 30 day return period was over. I asked how that can be legal and he said that their legal department made the letter, so that wasn't his call. I asked for info to their legal department, and all I got was a fax number, and a po box address. I asked the guy if there was anyone above him to speak to and he said they will have a supervisor there in 45 minutes. So I'll be calling back then.

Now I'm going to try to get ahold of my bank and see what happens with my debit card.
Old 12-28-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And the discussion goes on and on. I suspect this thread could get very looooooooong, but until we get some replies back from Amazon (or our credit card companies) we can argue until we are blue in our face (or get carpal tunnel syndrome) about what is right or wrong or what should or shouldn't be done. I'll go to bed and let all you good people, my fellow DVDTalkers, handle this and provide me with answers soon. Thank you
Old 12-29-06, 12:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This thread is hilarious. I swear, some of you would step over your own mother to save a buck or two.

When all is said and done, I hope the moderators archive this baby.
Old 12-29-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cmleidi
I'm not okay with people knowingly using a glitch to get something for nothing or getting items for a price they know is not accurate.
So, as long as Amazon can read people's minds to know that those people knew they were taking advantage of a pricing error, then its OK. Good thing they keep a whole department of corporate psychics around to figure that stuff out.

Meanwhile for your own spiritual health, you'd best stay out of this forum since a large minority of deals posted here are about exploiting pricing errors of varying natures. From the family video coupon, to the best buy in-store/out-store kiosk pricing, to typos in sunday flyers, and price-matching stores that are out of stock, to getting HBO BLU-HD-DVDs for 50% during the recent sale, etc - the list is gynormous. Your criteria of "getting items for a price they know is not accurate" makes all those deals unacceptable for you.

the righteous indignation over this is baffling to me.
Do you feel righteous justification about this? No? Then stop painting all the critics with that brush too. A couple of posts from people blowing off steam out of 4 pages worth does not define anybody.
Old 12-29-06, 12:06 AM

I would like to ask the mods to please not close this topic, as it is important to all of us that are in this situation to get the best help and advice from others as we can. If it needs to be moved that's fine, but I (and others in my shoes right now) would really like it if we can continue to talk about this.
Old 12-29-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
This thread is hilarious. I swear, some of you would step over your own mother to save a buck or two.
A buck or two? Nah.

A free DVD set? Yah, maybe.
Old 12-29-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
We can cancel/report lost the credit cards that we used with Amazon to place these orders; then Amazon really can't do anything except maybe try sending it to a collection agency.
Old 12-29-06, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Timsterino
That pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.
So... a 92% price mistake that "costs" the store $82 a pop, ok.

A 100% price mistake (could be considered 95% if you count that some people could only get the deal by paying for shipping) that "costs" the retailer $70-$100 a pop... not?

I guess you have to draw the line somewhere.

Originally Posted by cmleidi
I'm not okay with people knowingly using a glitch to get something for nothing or getting items for a price they know is not accurate. Others may consider that getting a bargain; I do not. I consider it ripping off/stealing...
*sigh*

We really should be more careful when complaining on internet message boards about not getting in on obvious misprices.

Originally Posted by Groucho
When all is said and done, I hope the moderators archive this baby.
Don't they archive everything? ;-)
Old 12-29-06, 12:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by excom101
We really should be more careful when complaining on internet message boards about not getting in on obvious misprices.
Okay, THAT was pretty funny.
Old 12-29-06, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SuperJim88
Scenario 2: (Assume you are the seller)
You own a good size operation. You have hundreds of employees working for you. One employee mistakenly entered "Y" in place that should have been "N". Estimated loss, x hundred thousand.

Your choices are as follow:

A. Write off x hundred thousand as operation loss. Take a hit at the bottom line. Cancel holiday bonus due to the sudden increase in expense.
B. Write an email to customers to offer the option of return the products or rectify the error knowing full well that you really can't charge any additional money to customers' cards. The email will create an uproar, but offers xx% of goods returned.

May your common sense guide your decision making.

IMHO, I just don't quite see how anybody can choose option A in scenario one yet be pissed off if Amazon choose option B in scenario two?
Where's "C. Cancel orders before they ship"?
Old 12-29-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

God bless the search function here at DVDTalk.
Old 12-29-06, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
I just don't quite see how anybody can choose option A in scenario one yet be pissed off if Amazon choose option B in scenario two?
You've got a false dichotomy there. I'm pretty confident that the real options in this case for the majority of people involved are:

(secnario 1)
D. Purchase a couple of boxes of cookies at the misprice and leave it at that.

(scenario 2)
C. Write off a loss of < 0.001% of yearly revenue, difference is lost in the noise of the decisions that accountants are allowed to take when calculating the books.
Old 12-29-06, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great detective work, excom101!
Old 12-29-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So... a 92% price mistake that "costs" the store $82 a pop, ok.

A 100% price mistake (could be considered 95% if you count that some people could only get the deal by paying for shipping) that "costs" the retailer $70-$100 a pop... not?

I guess you have to draw the line somewhere.

*sigh*

Don't they archive everything? ;-)

Obviously that's different because they were paying something with those pricing glitches. Can't you see the difference with their morals and ethics.
Old 12-29-06, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by movieguru
Actually it was only the people on this board that knew this. Everyone that ordered from the promotion is not a member of DVdTALK. Image the surprise that the people that didn't pay attention to the price on the confirmation page when they ordered at Amazon. They will be wondering what it is all about.
Do some people actually not pay attention to the price on confirmation pages? Especially when there is some type of deal going on involving discounts on buying multiple items?

I can't imagine ordering something on line and just blindly clicking "next" as pages go by.
Old 12-29-06, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, are the investors in the now defunct 800.com going to come after us for getting 3 DVD's for $1 on their Grand Opening deal, when most DVD's were still $20+, saying that we could not have actually expected them to honor their deal in good faith.
Old 12-29-06, 12:22 AM

I agree. Kudos to excom101. Ain't karma a bitch?
Old 12-29-06, 12:30 AM

If an item's correct price is HIGHER than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either CONTACT you for instructions BEFORE shipping or CANCEL your order and notify you of such cancellation. Since Amazon failed to do either of these & accepted our orders, charged our credit card & delivered the items the deal is done. All sales are final. There are no do overs. Just a couple of weeks ago they had a similar error. Purchase select Kaiser bakeware & receive a $10 cake server. However, when you added the bakeware & the cake server to your cart it took $10 off twice. Meaning not only was the cake server free but also the bakeware item up to $10. Weeks later they offer dvd's BOGOF & oops they made the same mistake again.
Old 12-29-06, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by cookie5409
If an item's correct price is HIGHER than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either CONTACT you for instructions BEFORE shipping or CANCEL your order and notify you of such cancellation. Since Amazon failed to do either of these & accepted our orders, charged our credit card & delivered the items the deal is done. All sales are final. There are no do overs.
Exactly. We agreed to these terms. We agreed to the price that was shown to us a few times in the checkout process. So according to their own policy, we owe them nothing, and we will keep our legally ordered dvds.
Old 12-29-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by David Levine
Do some people actually not pay attention to the price on confirmation pages? Especially when there is some type of deal going on involving discounts on buying multiple items?
Some don't. Amazon didn't bother to check to see if their programming of this offer was working properly either.

Last edited by movieguru; 12-29-06 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-29-06, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by sotra
And the discussion goes on and on. I suspect this thread could get very looooooooong, but until we get some replies back from Amazon (or our credit card companies) we can argue until we are blue in our face (or get carpal tunnel syndrome) about what is right or wrong or what should or shouldn't be done. I'll go to bed and let all you good people, my fellow DVDTalkers, handle this and provide me with answers soon. Thank you

Sure, we COULD leave it to the informed professionals but where's the fun in that? If there's anything years of watching The People's Court and Judge Judy has taught me, it's contract law. If it ain't within the 4 corners of the contract, it don't exist. Unless Amazon has it in their TOS that they can charge more after they have 1) taken an order, 2) accepted payment, and 3) shipped the order then they don't have a legal leg to stand on. Not to mention, that by accepting credit cards (which I'm guessing most paid with), they are bound to the terms of those companies. I'm not 100% sure, but I can't imagine any of them allowing a merchant to charge more because the merchant screwed up on pricing.
Old 12-29-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cookie5409
If an item's correct price is HIGHER than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either CONTACT you for instructions BEFORE shipping or CANCEL your order and notify you of such cancellation.

Where are you getting this from?
Old 12-29-06, 12:41 AM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../468502/pop-up
Old 12-29-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Where are you getting this from?
There's a link posted a few pages back.
Old 12-29-06, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have no intention of sending mine back or being charged. I got a good deal, but still paid them $15 without shipping. I got an expensive set and a cheap set. A good deal, but not something that they are losing a ton of money on. I plan to call tomorrow night and complain. If they try to charge me I will dispute it. I agreed to pay what "they charged me" and that is what I did. I followed through and so did they. They should have stopped it earlier.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.