Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Recent Amazon Price Error: You'll be charged unless you return!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Recent Amazon Price Error: You'll be charged unless you return!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Timsterino
I agree. Kudos to Amazon. Aint karma a bitch?
Anyone who thinks that it's a good thing when online vendors start to change the prices of orders after they have been confirmed by the buyer and charged by the merchant, no matter what the circumstances, is a short-sighted fool. Just because you think Amazon is in the right this time doesn't mean that some other website couldn't pull some bait-and-switch in the future.
Old 12-28-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Link to the Better Business Bureau in Washington state for those that would want to have some fun with this. Imagine what would happen if the BBB got bombarded with complaints from all of us here.

http://www.thebbb.org/otheragencies.htm

Last edited by movieguru; 12-28-06 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-28-06, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
Anyone who thinks that it's a good thing when online vendors start to change the prices of orders after they have been confirmed by the buyer and charged by the merchant, no matter what the circumstances, is a short-sighted fool. Just because you think Amazon is in the right this time doesn't mean that some other website couldn't pull some bait-and-switch in the future.
Yes, let's start throwing insults, real grown-up of you. Enough, already. We are not in grade school here.

Were they at fault for the extra discount? Absolutely!
Were you at fault for knowingly taking advantage of it? Absolutely!

One does not negate the other. We need to be careful when flinging those "short-sided fool" boomerangs.
Old 12-28-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

jesus loves us all
Old 12-28-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One does not negate the other. We need to be careful when flinging those "short-sided fool" boomerangs.
You completely miss the point, which I guess illustrates the short-sighted adjective. If Amazon thinks that retroactively charging customers for errors is an acceptable business practice, where will they draw the line? The next time you might find yourself on the other side of that line, will you be rooting for them then?
Old 12-28-06, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I've also paid Amazon.com roughly 21% in commissions from stuff I've sold on Marketplace. Oh wait, I don't agree to 21% commission, I want to pay 15%, I'll send them a bill.
I see. If a customer knowingly exploits a glitch to purchase an item from you without paying anything, you would allow it to happen? You are told you via the email that you will be paid, but the customer knows differently, and you end up receiving nothing. You wouldn't contact Amazon about being compensated after you've shipped the item? If you would let it go, provide your seller name so we can be on the lookout if anything like this happens.
Old 12-28-06, 11:24 PM

I also like the way people corner those who feel it is wrong to take advantage of Amazon as Jesus loving conservative Republicans, I am quite the opposite .

I am not thrilled with what Amazon is doing believe it or not. I am also not thrilled with what you guys did either. Hence when I said one does not negate the other.

Those fighting Amazon should and will most likely win. That does not change how I feel on the original issue. Amazon is wrong in trying to charge you after the fact, I do not dispute that at all.

My karma comment has nothing to do with that. It has to do with the locked thread of days ago and how it came back to try and bite people in the ass.

I still say kudos to Amazon for sending out the emails. That took some balls.

I will continue to do business with Amazon regardless.

Last edited by Timsterino; 12-28-06 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-28-06, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
You completely miss the point, which I guess illustrates the short-sighted adjective. If Amazon thinks that retroactively charging customers for errors is an acceptable business practice, where will they draw the line? The next time you might find yourself on the other side of that line, will you be rooting for them then?
This was a glitch that was exploited in an attempt to get items for nothing. This was not a simple pricing mistake. Everyone who purchased items knew this.
Old 12-28-06, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by cmleidi
This was a glitch that was exploited in an attempt to get items for nothing. This was not a simple pricing mistake. Everyone who purchased items knew this.
That pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.
Old 12-28-06, 11:34 PM

Exactly. Seeing the complaining here is the funniest thing I've read since...well the original thread!

My karma comment has nothing to do with that. It has to do with the locked thread of days ago and how it came back to try and bite people in the ass.
Then you should not have made it your only sentence in a post containing an inflammatory quote that had nothing to do with "the locked thread of days ago." We aren't ALL mind readers here.

So it is getting items for nothing, that is the line you are OK with? What about the people who bought two dissimilarly priced products and thus paid something? Is that line OK with you too? How much do they have to pay to make it OK with you? What about the people who got lucky and just happened to place orders during the glitch and don't even know about dvdtalk? Just what line are you OK with, and how do you know that is the same line that Amazon is OK with? Are you content to leave that decision up to them?
DVD Talk Legend

So why doesnt Amazon just charge our cards now? Are they being "nice"?
Old 12-28-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually it was only the people on this board that knew this. Everyone that ordered from the promotion is not a member of DVdTALK. Image the surprise that the people that didn't pay attention to the price on the confirmation page when they ordered at Amazon. They will be wondering what it is all about.
Old 12-28-06, 11:36 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
I see. If a customer knowingly exploits a glitch to purchase an item from you without paying anything, you would allow it to happen? You are told you via the email that you will be paid, but the customer knows differently, and you end up receiving nothing. You wouldn't contact Amazon about being compensated after you've shipped the item? If you would let it go, provide your seller name so we can be on the lookout if anything like this happens.
In that case it would be Amazon's fault, not the seller's, so the seller has a justifiable gripe.

However if a seller mistakenly types in .01 as the selling price for his item instead of the correct price of $100 and then the item is sold and the seller ships the item and only then discovers his mistake, he would have no legal ground to demand that the buyer return the item or pay the correct price.

The mistake needs to be caught before the item is shipped. Orders are cancelled all the time for stuff like this and most people don't complain.

Once the item is shipped, the transaction is complete. Of course, if the buyer finds out later that the item is defective and wants a replacement, he'll probably be up sh*t creek, but that's the chance one takes in a transaction like this.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 12-28-06 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-28-06, 11:39 PM

This is bad business, plain and simple. Amazon should ensure that mistakes like this don't happen in the first place, but if they do, the customer shouldn't be inconvenienced, regardless of ethics. The customer placed the order at the glitched price and was under the impression that he or she would be charged this wrong price. I won't discuss the ethics of this situation, but Amazon needs to just move on and spend its time trying to protect itself from this happening again, instead of bothering and annoying its customers.
Old 12-28-06, 11:39 PM

Then you should not have made it your only sentence in a post containing an inflammatory quote that had nothing to do with "the locked thread of days ago." We aren't ALL mind readers here.
You are giving me a lecture now? Oh please.
Old 12-28-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At the very least Amazon should still have ot take the DVD's back even if they are opened. Also what happens to those that sent these to gift addresses?
Old 12-28-06, 11:40 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
This was a glitch that was exploited in an attempt to get items for nothing.
Not so. I think most people paid at least .01 for their orders.
Old 12-28-06, 11:41 PM

You are giving me a lecture now? Oh please.
Nope, feel free to continue to post random unrelated thoughts and chastise people for trying to make sense of them.
Old 12-28-06, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by movieguru
Actually it was only the people on this board that knew this. Everyone that ordered from the promotion is not a member of DVdTALK. Image the surprise that the people that didn't pay attention to the price on the confirmation page when they ordered at Amazon. They will be wondering what it is all about.
Good point. What about the people that just stumbled across the deal on Amazons homepage, and have never heard of DVDtalk.

I wish once again, ethics wouldnt creep into this thread again, overshadowing the main point, but

Hate to see another lock, preventing the flow of information about whats going on.
Old 12-28-06, 11:44 PM

So it is getting items for nothing, that is the line you are OK with? What about the people who bought two dissimilarly priced products and thus paid something? Is that line OK with you too? How much do they have to pay to make it OK with you? What about the people who got lucky and just happened to place orders during the glitch and don't even know about dvdtalk? Just what line are you OK with, and how do you know that is the same line that Amazon is OK with? Are you content to leave that decision up to them?
I'm not okay with people knowingly using a glitch to get something for nothing or getting items for a price they know is not accurate. Others may consider that getting a bargain; I do not. I consider it ripping off/stealing from Amazon. This is not a price mistake and the righteous indignation over this is baffling to me.

As for those who unknowingly benefitted from the sale because of the glitch, I find it difficult to believe that they wouldn't have suspected something once they saw the amount charged.
Old 12-28-06, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Good point. What about the people that just stumbled across the deal on Amazons homepage, and have never heard of DVDtalk.

I wish once again, ethics wouldnt creep into this thread again, overshadowing the main point, but

Hate to see another lock, preventing the flow of information about whats going on.
Actually there are several points that are valid in this thread. For some reason folks on either side see one and not the other.
Old 12-28-06, 11:47 PM

Nope, feel free to continue to post random unrelated thoughts and chastise people for trying to make sense of them.

I stand by the karma quote and it is not my duty to make sure you understand me, even though I tried. I have said my peace and if you wish to continue the nitpicking then so be it.

I am not losing any sleep over it, nighty, night!
Old 12-28-06, 11:50 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Scenario 1: (Assume you are the buyer)
Retail America is selling XYZ brand cookies at $100 per box. Amazon is selling the same brand XYZ cookies for $10 per box. A person noticed the error, made a purchase at $10 per box, shared with otters just to be sure.

Your choices are as follow:

A. Quickly make as many orders as possible to take as much advantage of this mistake as possible
B. Notify Amazon about the mistake
C. Walk away and do nothing

Scenario 2: (Assume you are the seller)
You own a good size operation. You have hundreds of employees working for you. One employee mistakenly entered "Y" in place that should have been "N". Estimated loss, x hundred thousand.

Your choices are as follow:

A. Write off x hundred thousand as operation loss. Take a hit at the bottom line. Cancel holiday bonus due to the sudden increase in expense.
B. Write an email to customers to offer the option of return the products or rectify the error knowing full well that you really can't charge any additional money to customers' cards. The email will create an uproar, but offers xx% of goods returned.

May your common sense guide your decision making.

IMHO, I just don't quite see how anybody can choose option A in scenario one yet be pissed off if Amazon choose option B in scenario two?
Old 12-28-06, 11:50 PM

I stand by the karma quote and it is not my duty to make sure you understand me, even though I tried. I have said my peace and if you wish to continue the nitpicking then so be it.

I am not losing any sleep over it, nighty, night!

Obviously you are. You are posting on here WAY TOO MUCH! Let me guess you'll reply in 10 mins?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.