Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Recent Amazon Price Error: You'll be charged unless you return!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Recent Amazon Price Error: You'll be charged unless you return!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ lol
Old 12-28-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
This is fun to read. Same old same old.
Old 12-28-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by i86time
I'm actually not the least bit upset or angry, because I know they'll never do what they're claiming. And if they do, no CC company will allow the charge. I'm just waiting for the apology email from Amazon, I'm guessing it'll be sent out by tomorrow afternoon.
They better include a GC with that apology or I won't take advantage of any pricing errors with them ever again!
Old 12-28-06, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Dear Credit Card company, I knowingly cheated a company out of the rightful price of items. How I did I do it? Oh, I took advantage of a glitch in their system. They now expect me to pay what I rightfully owe them. Can you believe it?!?!? I'm outraged at their behavior. I shouldn't be held responsible for knowingly ripping off a company. Please, help me cheat them. I shouldn't have to pay anything for this. I should be able to keep these items because they are a big corporation."
Old 12-28-06, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
They better include a GC with that apology or I won't take advantage of any pricing errors with them ever again!
Lest I come off as that much of a jerk, my post was made with tongue planted firmly in cheek (figuratively).
Old 12-28-06, 10:06 PM

im still waiting for more of the "im never ordering from scamazon again!'

...until the next pricing error i hope to get
Old 12-28-06, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
What sorts of DVDs are we talking about here? I somehow missed this "deal".
So far, at least 3 closed threads exist on the subject! I read the first thread too late to get in on the deal(or not) but interesting reading perhaps...

First thread

Second

Third
Old 12-28-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 12-28-06, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by i86time
Lest I come off as that much of a jerk, my post was made with tongue planted firmly in cheek (figuratively).
]

Actually, I agree with your original post. From a business perspective, Amazon has nothing to lose by apologizing - its free for them to do and some people aren't jaded enough to still put stock in that sort of thing.
Old 12-28-06, 10:16 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Yikes, I just got an email from Target:

Dear customer,

It has come to our attention that over a year ago you purchased several DVD sets from us for $5.99 apiece. These sets were incorrectly priced at the time due to an incorrect price being programmed into our storewide computer system. Please return these DVDs to your nearest Target store by January 15th. We cannot accept them if they have been opened. If you decide to keep these items we will charge you the correct full price.

Sincerely,

Target
Old 12-28-06, 10:17 PM
JMG

the amazon posse is coming for you!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-28-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by cmleidi
"Dear Credit Card company, I knowingly cheated a company out of the rightful price of items. How I did I do it? Oh, I took advantage of a glitch in their system. They now expect me to pay what I rightfully owe them. Can you believe it?!?!? I'm outraged at their behavior. I shouldn't be held responsible for knowingly ripping off a company. Please, help me cheat them. I shouldn't have to pay anything for this. I should be able to keep these items because they are a big corporation."
"Dear Credit Card Company,
I went to a website, clicked "Buy this item and this item", went through a multistep order confirmation process, entered credit card data, waited four days before the items shipped, and *now* they want to charge me more, after the transaction is complete, because *they* screwed up."

I've also paid Amazon.com roughly 21% in commissions from stuff I've sold on Marketplace. Oh wait, I don't agree to 21% commission, I want to pay 15%, I'll send them a bill.
Old 12-28-06, 10:24 PM

I remember back in the day when I got The Insider for 4 bucks when dvd's were usually 20-30 bucks a piece! They didn't ask for it back or cancel the orders back then! Obviously you'd think some sort of electronic red flag would be raised on orders that are $0.00!

I didn't take part in this because Amazon usually cancels their price mistakes these days. Couldn't believe they let this one fall through the cracks.

I recently ordered dvd's from them for a christmas gift because they were for once in a millenium the cheapest. Amazon's dvd's are usually overpriced when compared to the DDD (or DD now!)
Old 12-28-06, 10:24 PM

I, for one, love the fact that the "terms" really tell you nothing about the promotion... and that item number 2 isn't true at all:

The value of the Bonus item will be reflected on the final order checkout page and will be allocated proportionally to all participating promotion items in the Shopping Cart, including the Bonus item itself. For example, if the promotion offers one Bonus item worth $10 for free when you purchase 2 items worth $20 each, the value of the $10 item will be divided proportionately between the three items, so that the Bonus item will appear with a $2 discount, and each of the two other items will appear with a $4 discount.
When you do a legit B1G1F at Amazon with two equally priced sets, they don't appear on the final screen as both being half off.
Old 12-28-06, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by JMG
the amazon posse is coming for you!!!!!!!!!!

No NO NO! That's a poster of Amazon's Quality Control guy!
Old 12-28-06, 10:31 PM

Dang, last week I bought a king sized Snickers at Walgreens when they were ringing up at the regular sized price. There's another 35 cents I owe, waiting for their email...
Old 12-28-06, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Yikes, I just got an email from Target:

Dear customer,

It has come to our attention that over a year ago you purchased several DVD sets from us for $5.99 apiece. These sets were incorrectly priced at the time due to an incorrect price being programmed into our storewide computer system. Please return these DVDs to your nearest Target store by January 15th. We cannot accept them if they have been opened. If you decide to keep these items we will charge you the correct full price.

Sincerely,

Target
for the record - this is the best post in this whole thread - kudos - i'm still pissed that i got on that sale too late... and spent a ton on gas traveling to targets!
Old 12-28-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh God, the pimp of the prostitute I was with in 1998 on my 18th birthday is knocking at my door. Help me!!!
Old 12-28-06, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by hilts
There is justice in this world. I plan to send a letter to Amazon commending them for their action and will give them my business whenever possible. I don't think they're going to miss a lot of sleep over losing the business of people who tried to rip them off.
I agree. Kudos to Amazon. Aint karma a bitch?
Old 12-28-06, 10:44 PM

well i'm still at a loss. my CC company said that because the email gave us options, by declining the option to send it back, we authorize them to charge the card. the cs lady said they were waiting for an authorization, and even said that they wanted to charge me $78! (the price of the 2 dvds). clearly the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in that case, as she didn't even have the promotion correct. i tried, calmly, to explain that to her and she didn't get it. i'm going to give this a few days to "boil over" and see what happens, and if i need to, i'll fight the good fight then. the way things are looking and sounding from most of you, i'm half expecting an apology letter in the next few days saying "you were right, we screwed up, happy holidays from your friends at amazon.com" but who knows. luckily i saved the invoice and had not yet opened the packages. i just had this feeling of dread even after they arrived on my doorstep. i guess we'll wait and see....
Old 12-28-06, 10:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vballboy51
well i'm still at a loss. my CC company said that because the email gave us options, by declining the option to send it back, we authorize them to charge the card. .

Old 12-28-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well i'm still at a loss. my CC company said that because the email gave us options, by declining the option to send it back, we authorize them to charge the card. the cs lady said they were waiting for an authorization, and even said that they wanted to charge me $78!
But this doesn't make sense. You can't decline the 'option' if you already opened the DVDs, because Amazon won't accept them. And you did pay the price they invoiced you for, and they did not contact you regrding the error before shipping
the order.

Simple thought experiment: If Amazon had a right to carry out what they state in the e-mail, imagine how screwed up every other online merchant could make things!!! Claiming after-the-fact errors, self-authorizing to make additional charges beyond the original approval/invoice amount etc. Nope. Won't happen.
Old 12-28-06, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Oh God, the pimp of the prostitute I was with in 1998 on my 18th birthday is knocking at my door. Help me!!!
Turns out she got pregnant and you are the dad.
That would be a real bill coming due.

my CC company said that because the email gave us options, by declining the option to send it back, we authorize them to charge the card.
That person was confused. If you are overcharged, you are supposed to try to "work it out" with the merchant before a chargeback is initiated, which can often result in sending the products back and the merchant crediting your account. But you aren't doing a chargeback (yet) and no way can you authorize a charge by doing nothing. If that were legit, a shady store could send out "if you do not actively decline, we will charge you $100 for receiving this email" messages.
Old 12-28-06, 10:57 PM

well i'm still at a loss. my CC company said that because the email gave us options, by declining the option to send it back, we authorize them to charge the card. the cs lady said they were waiting for an authorization, and even said that they wanted to charge me $78! (the price of the 2 dvds). clearly the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in that case, as she didn't even have the promotion correct. i tried, calmly, to explain that to her and she didn't get it. i'm going to give this a few days to "boil over" and see what happens, and if i need to, i'll fight the good fight then. the way things are looking and sounding from most of you, i'm half expecting an apology letter in the next few days saying "you were right, we screwed up, happy holidays from your friends at amazon.com" but who knows. luckily i saved the invoice and had not yet opened the packages. i just had this feeling of dread even after they arrived on my doorstep. i guess we'll wait and see....

Call back your credit card company b/c that is wrong advice. Again, it comes down to "unauthorized charges" b/c you purchased based on your final order confirmation screen and the subsequent confirmation email, subsequent package receipt. OPEN and SHUT case according to my credit card company.

And to the poster with karma, sour grapes are tough too for those who missed or chose a "moral road". Again, a little perserverence will get this deal done. I still go back to the goods are in hand with a receipt, case closed.
Old 12-28-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 291 Likes on 216 Posts
Here's a few links to pricing errors from internet retailers and there attempt to get the money back. These are from the U.K. the first link is from Amazon U.K. It states that the contract exists only after the items have shipped. The second links involves another company trying to collect long after the customer received the mispriced merchandise.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/03...se_for_buyers/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/11/dabs_pricing/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.