Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Sleater-Kinney Discussion

Old 01-19-15, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: Sleater-Kinney Discussion

FYI to those who still buy CDs, there's a $2-off coupon for this for Best Buy this week, bringing it down to $7.99. It's also good for $2 off Belle & Sebastian's new one and can be printed from their Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/belleandsebastian.
Old 01-20-15, 06:08 PM
Banned

Listened to it twice in a row. Like it a lot. Here is how I rank their albums for now:

1.) Call the Doctor
2.) The Hot Rock (imo this benefitted the most from the recent remastering)
3.) The Woods
4.) No Cities To Love
5.) Dig Me Out (I know it's their important, seminal breakthrough but I've always found it a bit overrated)
6.) All Hands on the Bad One
7.) Sleater-Kinney
8.) One Beat

--
Old 01-20-15, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
FYI to those who still buy CDs, there's a $2-off coupon for this for Best Buy this week, bringing it down to $7.99. It's also good for $2 off Belle & Sebastian's new one and can be printed from their Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/belleandsebastian.
Thanks! Picked this up @ BB today along with the new Marilyn Manson.
Old 01-08-19, 10:19 AM

Re: Sleater-Kinney Discussion

A new Sleater-Kinney album is coming out this year, and it’s produced by St. Vincent. The trio announced the news in a tweet with a photo of the four of them in the studio, and Annie Clark followed it up a minute after with a tweet of her own.

We knew that Sleater-Kinney were working on new music — they said as much around this time last year. It’s the follow-up to 2015’s excellent No Cities To Love, which was Sleater-Kinney’s first new album in a decade when it came out.

That’s all the info we’ve got for now. But holy crap!
https://www.stereogum.com/2027755/sl...aL_cyJ3-YI2q3s

Old 01-08-19, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good news.
Old 05-24-19, 07:37 AM

At the top of this year we learned the very exciting news that Sleater-Kinney would soon be returning with their first album since 2015 comeback No Cities To Love and that it would be produced by none other than St. Vincent. Earlier this week the band announced their first live show in two years, a headlining slot at North Carolina’s Hopscotch Music Festival this September. And now it looks like new music is imminent.

As Reddit’s indieheads forum points out, the record label Mom + Pop has posted a new Sleater-Kinney bio to their website, suggesting a move from Sub Pop, who released No Cities To Love. Mom + Pop lists the new album title as The Center Won’t Hold. It also mentions a single called “Hurry On Home” and links to an active landing page, indicating the song may be coming as soon as tonight. ( Generally those pages don’t go up too far in advance.)

There’s no word regarding a release date for the album, but the Mom + Pop bio includes some quotes from the band, including this from Carrie Brownstein: “We’re always mixing the personal and the political but on this record, despite obviously thinking so much about politics, we were really thinking about the person — ourselves or versions of ourselves or iterations of depression or loneliness — in the middle of the chaos.” We’re also told the album’s title track is a dark and heavy look at the 2016 election designed to make listeners uncomfortable. Sounds rad! Sign me up!

UPDATE: It looks like Sleater-Kinney updated their official website too. It features the same photo from the “Hurry On Home” landing page and cycles through a series of words, from “UNFUCKABLE” to “UNLOVABLE” to “UNLISTENABLE.”
https://www.stereogum.com/2044962/sl...ont-hold/news/
Old 05-24-19, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you were going to recommend ONE Sleater-Kinney record, what would it be?

Some facts to consider: If the person does not like this record, they will not be buying any more. So this would not be a good time to recommend a record that "needs several listens to really take it all in", or "builds on the work they did on..."
Old 05-24-19, 01:37 PM

Dig Me Out would probably be the most obvious choice.
Old 05-29-19, 09:15 AM

Sleater-Kinney - Hurry On Home | Official Lyric Video Directed by Miranda July

Today, Sleater-Kinney release the new single "Hurry On Home" produced by St. Vincent and announce an extensive North American tour this fall.

Sleater-Kinney – 2019 Tour dates
OCT 11 Knitting Factory Boise Friday, 8:00PM Boise, ID
OCT 12 The Depot Saturday, 8:00PM Salt Lake City, UT
OCT 16 The Riverside Theater Wednesday, 8:00PM Milwaukee, WI
OCT 18 Riviera Theatre Friday, 8:00PM Chicago, IL
OCT 21 Ryman Auditorium Monday, 8:00PM Nashville, TN
OCT 23 Tabernacle Wednesday, 8:00PM Atlanta, GA
OCT 26 Stage AE Saturday, 8:00PM Pittsburgh, PA
OCT 27 The Fillmore Sunday, 8:00PM Philadelphia, PA
OCT 30 Kings Theatre Wednesday, 8:00PM Brooklyn, NY
OCT 31 Manhattan Center NYC
NOV 01 Newport Music Hall Friday, 8:00PM Columbus, OH
NOV 03 Rebel Complex Sunday, 8:00PM Toronto, Canada
NOV 07 House of Blues Thursday, 8:00PM Houston, TX
NOV 08 House of Blues Friday, 8:00PM Dallas, TX
NOV 09 ACL Live at The Moody Theater Saturday, 8:00PM Austin, TX
NOV 12 The Observatory North Park Tuesday, 8:00PM San Diego, CA
NOV 13 The Observatory OC Wednesday, 8:00PM Santa Ana, CA
NOV 19 Crystal Ballroom Tuesday, 8:00PM Portland, OR
NOV 21 Commodore Ballroom Thursday, 8:00PM Vancouver, WA
Old 05-29-19, 12:39 PM

I have five months to decide if I'm into this band, much less in actuality because it will likely sell out. Fast.
Old 05-29-19, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I have five months to decide if I'm into this band, much less in actuality because it will likely sell out. Fast.
Why the sudden urgency?
Old 05-29-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do not care for the new song. It tempers my excitement for the album. I'll see the tour for certain.
Old 05-29-19, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Why the sudden urgency?
They'll be in town in November. And I assume the show will sell out.
Old 05-29-19, 01:36 PM

They'll be in town in November. And I assume the show will sell out.
I'm sure it will. I mean, you seem to just now want to be getting into them. They've been around like 20 years. Why the urge?
Old 05-29-19, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
I do not care for the new song. It tempers my excitement for the album. I'll see the tour for certain.
It didn't do much for me either. But the show I saw on the last tour was one of my all time favorites, so I'll definitely be going.
Old 05-29-19, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I'm sure it will. I mean, you seem to just now want to be getting into them. They've been around like 20 years. Why the urge?
Very true of course, and there may or may not be a girl I know who's a big fan and I might want to see the show with her. But in reality, they're just a band that has slipped under my radar, and I should have been listening to them all this time. What I've heard from them really seems like my kind of stuff.

How many times do you "discover" a band, and wish you had been into them back when they were playing little clubs? It's too late for that with Sleater-Kinney, of course, but better late than never.

With S-K, I don't think they'll be coming this way too much more often, and if so, hopefully before they're their own tribute band. And even when they were big, they skipped over my town on a lot of their tours. I'm gonna get Dig Me Out sometime in the next week or two, and if it's my cup of tea (which I believe it will be), I'll be checking out more of their material over the summer.
Old 05-29-19, 05:22 PM

Very true of course, and there may or may not be a girl I know who's a big fan and I might want to see the show with her. But in reality, they're just a band that has slipped under my radar, and I should have been listening to them all this time.

That’s a good a reason.

I hadn’t seen them before they originally disbanded. But like I said in my previous post, the show I saw in 2015 was one of my favorites. Really blew me away and was impressed. Definitely will be worth it and I wouldn’t hesitate on getting tickets.
Old 07-01-19, 09:42 AM

Old 07-01-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Between Janet leaving and the direction their new music seems to be taking, I imagine I will be jumping off the S-K train.
Old 07-31-19, 12:34 PM

Sleater-Kinney Asked St. Vincent for a Creative Spark. The Trio Blew Up.
After two and a half decades, the acclaimed band ventures into a different sound on its ninth album, “The Center Won’t Hold” — and moves onward without its longtime drummer.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/31/a...t-vincent.html