Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Sleater-Kinney Discussion

Old 07-01-06, 12:04 AM

Many would say that the older discs are their best.
Old 07-02-06, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by david12
Many would say that the older discs are their best.
how would you rank them?

until "the woods" came out, i thought nothing could top "the hot rock". it's very underrated.

1. the woods
2. the hot rock
3. dig me out
4. one beat
5. call the doctor
6. all hands on the bad one
7. sleater-kinney
Old 07-02-06, 01:47 AM

#1 One Beat. It was my first SK record and I consider it near perfect. The song One Beat blows my mind to this day. Just perfection.
#2 The Woods. Probably because they went way out on a limb and changed everything we thought we knew about them. They perfected the SK sound on One Beat and basically created a new band. Plain and simple, it is the hardest, heaviest and most rocking album ever made by women. Each time I listen, I can't get over how damn loud it is. But it is missing that certain something that makes Sleater-Kinney who they are.
#3 Dig me out, All Hands on the Bad One, The Hot Rock...and maybe the Woods.
When I hear certain tracks on each one of these records I think to myself, 'this might be my favorite song ever.' So catchy and fun to sing along with...and I'm a guy.
#4 Call the Doctor and the self-titled. Both good, but a tad bit raw for everyday listening.
Old 07-02-06, 02:03 AM

Hollowgen, why do people always seem surprised when boys like SK? Having made my list and having listened to and loved each record, I'll admit that I knew little about who the actual band is. I could recognize them and know their names, but the desire to know everything from birthdays to eye color left me a long time ago. Are they lesbians? Or just embraced by the lesbian community? Are boys not suppoesd to like them? Are they feminists? Anti-man? Doesn't Corin have a child? Do tell.
Old 07-02-06, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
1. the woods
2. the hot rock
These are my top two as well. The rest I like pretty much equally, except their self-titled album which I can't rank because I haven't heard yet. I recently posted that their first was the only album by them that I didn't own, and upon hearing this sad news it prompted me to finally find and order it online. It should be here next week.
Old 07-02-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by david12
Hollowgen, why do people always seem surprised when boys like SK? Having made my list and having listened to and loved each record, I'll admit that I knew little about who the actual band is. I could recognize them and know their names, but the desire to know everything from birthdays to eye color left me a long time ago. Are they lesbians? Or just embraced by the lesbian community? Are boys not suppoesd to like them? Are they feminists? Anti-man? Doesn't Corin have a child? Do tell.
meh, you'll always get comments like that from people who don't feel or know that music is pretty much universal. especially when said music is labeled with something like "grrl"
Old 08-12-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just saw 1/2 "final" shows last night. don't know if it was knowing they'd be kaputt, but they kicked way more arse than the last few times i've seen them. almost 2 hr set, and 2 encores. it was also LOUDER than ever before. brought a good handfull of classics back into the set for once.

if you're in the area tonight and are a fan, go search out a ticket.
Old 08-12-06, 08:45 PM

Wouldn't happen to have the setlist would you? The message board at sleater-kinney.net as been down this week for maintenance.

I got to see them for my first time at Lolla last weekend. Loved it, but would have loved to see a 2 1/2 hour show. They were just getting warmed up after only an hour.
Old 08-12-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nooooo!

I missed this thread when first posted. Sleater-Kinney have been my favorite band of the past 10 years. It sucks knowing that there won't be a next album coming out any time in the near future. Hopefully they will at least be putting out a live album or dvd sometime.

Anyhow my rankings

1-Call the Doctor (Best album of the 90's)
2-One Beat
3-Dig Me Out
4-Sleater Kinney (Though at a mere 20+ minutes it's more of an e.p.)
5-The Woods
6-Hot Rock
7-All Hands on the Bad One (The only album of their's I was kind of let down by, Not bad but just not up to snuff with their other stuff)
Old 08-13-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bugg
Hopefully they will at least be putting out a live album or dvd sometime.
both final shows in portland + the new york show from a few days ago were being filmed for a potential dvd release. there were quite a few cameras in portland, that i saw.
Old 08-13-06, 11:01 PM

Here's what someone posted on S-K's myspace page - definately hope they release full shows on DVD for these:

8/11/06

Start Together, The Fox, Drama You've Been Craving, Wilderness, Jumpers, Get Up, Ironclad, Night Light, Rollercoaster, (I think a jammy interlude was here), What's Mine is Yours, Youth Decay, Modern Girl, Let's Call it Love, Entertain, Far Away, Words & Guitar, Ballad of a Ladyman, Oh!, Little Mouth, Dance Song '97, Light-Rail Coyote, Little Babies--->jam-->I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone, Turn it On.

========

8/12/06

The Fox, The End of You, Wilderness, Jumpers, One Beat, Step Aside, Hot Rock ("our contemplative song"), Rollercoaster, AHOTBO, Night Light, (jam) --->What's Mine is Yours, Stay Where You Are, Modern Girl, Let's Call it Love --->Entertain, Sympathy, Words & Guitar. Encore 1: Milkshake n' Honey, YNRNRF, Not What You Want, Steep Air, God is a .., Oh! ---> jam ---> Dig Me Out. Encore 2: Good Things (dedicated to Lance), Turn it On, One More Hour
Old 08-13-06, 11:58 PM

NPR had a live audio stream of their Aug 3rd concert in DC. I listened to it live and it was great. If anyone wants to, you can listen to a stream or download for full concert for free here. The concert was over an hour and 50 mins long.

The setlist for that show:
"One Beat"
"Not what You Want"
"Wilderness"
"Fox"
"Jumpers"
"#1 Must Have"
"Steep Air"
"Rollercoaster"
"Burn Don't Freeze"
"Nightlight"
"End of You"
"What's Mine Is Yours"
"Modern Girl"
"Let's Call It Love"
"Entertain"
"Little Babies"
"Iron Clad"
"Get Up"
"Buy Her Candy"
"Turn It On"
"Dance Song 97"
"Words & Guitar"
"Sympathy"
"Dig Me Out"
Old 08-14-06, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've loved this band since the mid-90s when i became COOL and started checking out their stuff. they are a great band and i'm sure they'll be back (i mean there can't be ("that" man lesbians out there)

ROCK On!!
Old 08-14-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Frank TJ Mackey
they are a great band and i'm sure they'll be back (i mean there can't be ("that" man lesbians out there)

wha..??
Old 08-14-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead
8/11/06

Start Together, The Fox, Drama You've Been Craving, Wilderness, Jumpers, Get Up, Ironclad, Night Light, Rollercoaster, (I think a jammy interlude was here), What's Mine is Yours, Youth Decay, Modern Girl, Let's Call it Love, Entertain, Far Away, Words & Guitar, Ballad of a Ladyman, Oh!, Little Mouth, Dance Song '97, Light-Rail Coyote, Little Babies--->jam-->I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone, Turn it On.
sounds about right
Old 08-15-06, 01:01 PM

Ugh, those last two shows must have been awesome - those set lists have me drooling. I went to the NYC show 2 weeks ago and the set list was no near that good....
If they put those shows on DVD, I will die happy. Please don't break up girls.
Old 10-20-14, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sleater-Kinney returns with new album/tour

http://pitchfork.com/news/57108-slea...s-lyric-video/

Sleater-Kinney are back! As anticipated, Carrie Brownstein, Corin Tucker, and Janet Weiss will release new album No Cities to Love on January 20 in the U.S. and January 19 internationally via Sub Pop. Watch the lyric video for new track "Bury Our Friends" below. It features director/artist/actress/author Miranda July, a longtime Sleater-Kinney collaborator. Download the song in exchange for an email address here.

The band is also heading out on tour in early 2015. Check out the dates below, along with the album tracklist. The deluxe vinyl version comes with an etched, single-sided 12" with two bonus tracks.

No Cities to Love was produced by John Goodmanson, who produced Call the Doctor, One Beat, Dig Me Out, and All Hands on the Bad One. In a press release, Brownstein said, "We sound possessed on these songs, willing it all - the entire weight of the band and what it means to us - back into existence."

This week, Sub Pop releases the discography box set Start Together. As previously reported, it contained a mysterious white 7" bearing the inscription "1/20/15." That turned out to be the album's release date; the song on the 7" is "Bury Our Friends".

Sleater-Kinney formed in Olympia, Washington in 1994. Singer-guitarists Brownstein (then of the band Excuse 17) and Tucker (of Heavens to Betsy) named Sleater-Kinney after a local road and released their self-titled debut album in 1995. Call The Doctor followed in 1996, and new drummer Janet Weiss (also of Quasi) joined the band for 1997's Dig Me Out.

Brownstein, Tucker, and Weiss went on to release 1999's The Hot Rock, 2000's All Hands on the Bad One, and 2002's One Beat until their last record, The Woods, arrived in 2005. The band broke up after a final tour in summer 2006. Last year, Sleater-Kinney reunited on stage for the first time since 2006 to cover Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World" with their one-time tourmates, Pearl Jam.

In December, news broke that Janet Weiss and Carrie Brownstein's post-Sleater-Kinney band Wild Flag "ran its course." Weiss and Brownstein released one great record with Wild Flag, while Corin Tucker has released two solo records since 2006. Brownstein also launched herself to a more visible realm of fame with her sketch comedy show "Portlandia".

No Cities to Love:

01 Price Tag
02 Fangless
03 Surface Envy
04 No Cities to Love
05 A New Wave
06 No Anthems
07 Gimme Love
08 Bury Our Friends
09 Hey Darling
10 Fade

Sleater-Kinney:

02-08 Spokane, WA - Knitting Factory Spokane
02-09 Boise, ID - Knitting Factory Boise
02-10 Salt Lake City, UT - The Depot
02-12 Denver, CO - Ogden Theater
02-13 Omaha, NE - Slowdown
02-14 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
02-15 Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall
02-17 Chicago, IL - Riviera
02-22 Boston, MA - House of Blues
02-24 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
02-26 New York, NY - Terminal 5
02-28 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer
03-01 Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE
03-18 Berlin, Germany - Postbahnhof
03-19 Amsterdam, The Netherlands - Paradiso
03-20 Paris, France - Cigale
03-21 Antwerp, Belgium - Trix
03-23 London, England - Roundhouse
03-24 Manchester, England - Albert Hall
03-25 Glasgow, Scotland - O2 ABC
03-26 Dublin, Ireland - Vicar Street

Old 10-22-14, 11:38 AM

re: Sleater-Kinney Discussion

Super stoked about this record coming out. This new track is great. Always really enjoyed this band.
Old 11-02-14, 06:28 PM

UGH. They are going to be in the UK 1-2 weeks too early!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-15, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Album streaming here:

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/11/376085...cities-to-love

It is really good.
Old 01-12-15, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is fantastic news...can't wait!!
Old 01-12-15, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

album slays.
Old 01-13-15, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's been nearly a decade since they put out an album. This new one is supposed to be shit (that's how it usually goes after a long delay).

But WOW was I fucking impressed. 10 tremendous songs, not a bad one on this terrific album.

1st day purchase for me. Hope to see them in concert as well.

So great to have these ladies back.
Old 01-17-15, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post
It's been nearly a decade since they put out an album. This new one is supposed to be shit
According to whom? It's received great notices so far.
Old 01-18-15, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by EctoCooler View Post
According to whom? It's received great notices so far.
read what was in parenthesis right after that

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.