Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sleater-Kinney Discussion

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Sleater-Kinney Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they're so dang cute, i just wanna nibble their kidneys

missed them at Coney a year or so ago, mebbe i'll catch em on th'next tour...

-Gunshy
Old 03-20-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

p.s. http://www.hob.com/tickets/festivals...atch/index.asp

what a great place to see SK. or any band. if you're in the northwest, and haven't been here, you're cheating yourself.
Old 03-22-04, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally posted by Hollowgen
p.s. http://www.hob.com/tickets/festivals...atch/index.asp

what a great place to see SK. or any band. if you're in the northwest, and haven't been here, you're cheating yourself.
I agree. The Gorge is great.

It's having a hard time attracting bands now, though, due to the White River Amphiteatre in Auburn, Wa., which is a Clear Channel venue.
Old 03-22-04, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When's Huggy Bear gonna make a new album already
Old 03-22-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by funkyryno
I agree. The Gorge is great.

It's having a hard time attracting bands now, though, due to the White River Amphiteatre in Auburn, Wa., which is a Clear Channel venue.
not to go off on too much of a tangent, but you're right. in fact, it's a total shame. i'd hate it for the gorge to go belly up. the venue is 10x better than white river.
Old 05-31-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sleater-Kinney: The Woods 5/24/05

From Other Music:

SLEATER-KINNEY
The Woods
(Sub Pop)

Maybe you've heard the buzzing rumors, and I'm here to tell you that they are all true. Seven albums in, and Northwest pop-punk heroes Sleater-Kinney have made a sharp left turn and delivered the best, weirdest, heaviest album of their career. I'm told that when the band jumped ship from Kill Rock Stars to super-indie Sub Pop, they began casting around for a producer who could help them shake up expectations on their new LP, and met with Dave Fridmann, the talented board-op behind the now famous orch-pop-psych sound of the Flaming Lips and Mercury Rev's last few records, as well as many other new classics. As the story goes, Fridmann told the girls that he pretty much hated all their albums, best known for a thin, intense two guitar interplay, frenetic drumming, and Corin Tucker's manic tremolo Jello Biafra vocal style. Despite, or perhaps because of, that bitter come-on, they agreed to retreat to Fridmann's Tarbox Road Studios in upstate NY to explore some new ideas, and the rough and raw beauty of The Woods was born.

Those familiar with Fridmann's resume might be expecting a produced pop masterpiece, replete with strings and horns and bubbling organs to compliment the hooks and energy that have always made Sleater-Kinney so exciting on stage. But from the opening guitar explosion, that will no doubt make you double check your player to confirm that you are hearing the right record (and then will force you to either crank the volume or turn it down right quick, depending on the hour and your neighborly attitude), it's clear that this is a new direction for both band and producer. I'd be shocked if you are not glued to the speakers for the remaining 10 tracks.

Raw, loose, impassioned and powerful, The Woods showcases a band who, against all probability, has continued to grow artistically through the most common onset of rock and roll maladies--namely success, age, and the dreaded family responsibilities (there is a baby or two waiting on the tour bus these days). The playing is intense, with pounding grooves (alternately rock solid and hypnotically off-kilter), and dense, overloaded guitars swooping and crashing and buzzing all over the place. Tucker's vocals still have that manic warble, but she and Carrie Brownstein sing both sweet and dirty throughout the disc, and Fridmann lets the powerful playing lead the way, often leaving Tucker shouting in the wind of her own amplifier, to intoxicating effect.

To be completely honest, I'm not 100% sure that all of Sleater-Kinney's longtime fans will be completely thrilled by the band's explorations. Although much of their trademark sound is still intact, with hypnotic guitar interplay, powerful, idiosyncratic vocals and thoughtful, intelligent and poetic lyrics, there is no doubt that the band has stepped out on a limb here, and an artist that is this popular would be defying the laws of physics (and probability) if we all followed them out there. But the band has made a primal, heartfelt statement, and in the end I'm confident that most of their longtime fans, as well as many new ones, will be moved. The rumors are true; Sleater-Kinney has made the best album of their career. [JM]

TOUR DATES:

31 May 2005 | Seattle WA, The Moore Theater

1 Jun 2005 | Portland OR, Crystal Ballroom

2 Jun 2005 | Portland OR, Crystal Ballroom

4 Jun 2005 | San Francisco CA, The Warfield

6 Jun 2005 | Santa Cruz CA, The Catalyst

7 Jun 2005 | Pomona CA, The Glasshouse

8 Jun 2005 | Los Angeles CA, Henry Fonda Theater

9 Jun 2005 | Los Angeles CA, Henry Fonda Theater

10 Jun 2005 | Mountain View CA, Shoreline Amphitheater (Live 105 BFD)

15 Jun 2005 | Minneapolis MN, First Avenue

16 Jun 2005 | Chicago IL, Riviera Theater

17 Jun 2005 | Cleveland OH, Beachland Ballroom

18 Jun 2005 | Toronto Ontario/Canada, Phoenix

19 Jun 2005 | Montreal Quebec/Canada, La Tulipe

21 Jun 2005 | Burlington VT, Higher Ground

22 Jun 2005 | Boston MA, Avalon

23 Jun 2005 | NYC, Roseland

24 Jun 2005 | Philadelphia PA, Trocadero

25 Jun 2005 | Washington D.C., 9:30 Club

27 Jun 2005 | NY NY, Late Show with David Letterman

29 Jun 2005 | Winston-Salem NC, Millennium Center

30 Jun 2005 | Knoxville TN, Sundown In the City

1 Jul 2005 | Atlanta GA, The Variety Playhouse

2 Jul 2005 | Nashville TN, The Cannery Ballroom

Last edited by Lara Means; 05-31-05 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-31-05, 11:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
This is so far the best album of the year. Just monumental in every way. I've never heard girls play like this, EVER.
Old 05-31-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a real good album. They don't sound indie-rock anymore, just great.
Old 05-31-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

they still have their signature grrl-y singing and guitar in certain songs, but man have they matured. and how often does a band push fridmann to the back? it's very different, and very good. i don't think they've ever disappointed me. go check these songs out live if you can, carrie can really play some monstrous riffs.
Old 05-31-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They are playing LA for 3 nights, but I can't go to any of them cause they are on weekdays.
Old 06-26-05, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has anyone seen S-K live for this tour?

Saw them last night in DC. It was a terrific show. Wow!

Heads up: they're playing on David Letterman Monday night.

Last edited by Lara Means; 06-26-05 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-26-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lara Means
Has anyone seen S-K live for this tour?

Saw them last night in DC. It was a terrific show. Wow!

Heads up: they're playing on David Letterman Monday night.
they played here in olympia back in march. almost all of the new songs. it was quite different. now that i actually know the songs and love 'em, i can't wait for them to come back to wa.
Old 06-27-05, 11:24 AM

Really hoping they make it through Dallas. Definately one of my top 5 albums of the year. Would love to see them live.
Old 06-27-05, 06:01 PM

Wow, I can't believe they are doing a free concert in knoxville.
Old 06-29-05, 04:07 PM

Saw them in NYC, really great show. They were great on Letterman too.
Old 06-29-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have this but haven't listened to it in awhile now. And......now I seem to have lost it. grrr.
Old 06-30-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is the first time I've heard more than just a song or two from them over the years.
Pretty good... then I hit the song "Rollercoaster" and BLAMMY! Great song.
Old 06-28-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sleater-Kinney kaput :(

Right on their home page:

http://www.sleater-kinney.com/

This sucks as their new CD is great!

-Gunshy
Old 06-28-06, 12:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
I read this yesterday. Totally bummed that I won't get to see them live. I was hoping for a tour after The Woods, but obviously there were reasons for them to not do a full scale one. Sucks...as Sleater-Kinney might be the best band in the world.
Old 06-28-06, 04:24 PM

I'm glad I saw them last year, and have a ticket for one of their final shows. Sucks that there may not be more material though.
Old 06-28-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

seriously some of the most disappointing news i've ever heard. i've been a fan of theirs since the beginning, and seen them almost every time they've played here.

oh well, no more annoying "... i didn't know guys liked sleater-kinney" comments, i guess!
Old 06-28-06, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, they were one of the very few bands I kept up with. This really sucks!
Old 06-28-06, 09:17 PM

Get to see these guys at Lolla - maybe they'll schedule a proper (after)show in Chicago that weekend - I'd love to see a full set.

Also, I have a bunch of their albums, and despite enjoying them, I must say I don't "know" their albums (with the exception of "The Woods"). I just don't have the time to listen to everything in depht anymore. What's a standard setlist for them? I have no idea what their "fan favorite" songs are. Anyone here made a compilation CD they'd like to share? I'd be very interested.
Old 06-30-06, 11:30 AM

Ugh, yeah this news sucks - but I have hope since it is an "indefinite" hiatus. Luckily we bought tix to the sold out NYC show months ago.

FrozenMetalHead - Here are some of my favorite songs from each album besides the woods - honestly, there are few songs of SK that I don't like, but these are just my favs from the other albums:

One Beat: O2, Step Aside, Far Away, Combat Rock, SYMPATHY (1 of my alltime favs)

All Hands on the bad one: All hands on the bad one, youth decay, You're no rock and roll fun, Pompeii

Hot Rock: End of the World, Don't talk like, Memorize your lines, A quarter to three

Dig me out: Dig me out, turn it on, one more hour, words and guitar, drama you've been craving

Call the doctor: call the dr, anonymous, I wanna be your joey ramone, I'm not waiting

Self titled: I dont think you wanna, The day i went away (another fav), sold out, last song
Old 06-30-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I read this on some blog a few days ago and wondered what the fuss was about....I had heard they were good, but had never listened to them. So I spent the dollar on allofmp3 to get The Woods and I was blown away. Blown away enough that I felt guilty about having used allofmp3 and will be picking up the actual disc this weeekend.

Hopefully I won't be disappointed as I begin to pick up their older CD's.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.