Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 10:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

MBoyd - what was that tube preamp you posted a few pages back? I'm looking for a new preamp (specifically tubes), you seem like you might have some input.
Old 09-15-14, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a Dared mc 7p. Chinese made. Seem kinda hard to get for my local audio store, but there's several new on eBay for about $850. Dared has tube integrateds and tube mono blocks as well.

Supposedly it can sound even better with some modifications. A guy sent me some instructions on replacing capacitors and removing the ground loop. I'd never attempt on my own and probably won't even give it another thought. After I swapped out the phono stage tubes, it was magnificent.

Oh and that's a big plus having a phono stage at this price point IMO.
Old 09-16-14, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

MEGADETH ISSUES THE FIRST FIVE MAJOR LABEL ALBUMS ON REMASTERED PICTURE DISC FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE U.S.

Titles Include "Peace Sells…But Who's Buying?", "So Far, So Good…So What!", "Rust In Peace", "Countdown To Extinction" And "Youthanasia"

On November 11, 2014, Universal Enterprises (UMe) will issue the first five platinum-selling Capitol Records MEGADETH albums on limited edition picture disc vinyl for the first time in the U.S.

Titles include 1986's "Peace Sells…But Who’s Buying?", 1988's "So Far, So Good…So What!" and 1990's "Rust In Peace", as well as 1992's "Countdown To Extinction" and 1994's "Youthanasia", both making their debut on picture disc. Each album is pressed on heavyweight vinyl and will feature the remastered mixes by Dave Mustaine with the original album track listings.

http://www.megadeth.com/news/megadet...s-picture-disc
Old 09-16-14, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Nice…but expensive! Roughly $40 a pop!
Old 09-16-14, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
So....dumb question. Why don't you just buy the mono albums separately? Seems like an expensive book. I picked up a few of them but I have way too many copies of these albums to out another few hundred towards new copies regardless of how awesome they sound.
Not a dumb question, really. I happened to get the box for like $320 shipped. So, that was about $25 or so more than the individual albums as I priced them out. To my way of thinking, the book, the box, and it's limited nature made up for the price difference.

Edit to add - The book is really quite nice. I was already reading a very good biography of The Beatles by Mark Lewisohn (it's called Tune In--I recommend it), so I am glad to have this book with all the pictures and notes about the albums too.
Old 09-16-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by auto
I have way too many copies of these albums to out another few hundred towards new copies regardless of how awesome they sound.
Same here, however these new records are so good, they'll make the rest of your Beatles collection obsolete. I feel like I never need to buy another Beatles record again.
Old 09-16-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

That Beatles set is just too expensive for me. I love vinyl, but my non-golden ears are satisfied with the mono CD set I already have. I'm still envious of you guys that have it though!
Old 09-16-14, 07:26 PM

Am I the only one that would be more likely to buy the Megadeth re-issues if they were plain, 180g, black vinyl? I've read that pic discs have sound problems...
Old 09-16-14, 07:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's funny, I didn't even realize those mono records were being released individually, as everything I heard was about the box set. It's about $100 less for all the records individually, and I could save another $35 off that by skipping the White Album, as I much prefer the stereo mix and doubt I'd ever listen to the mono.
Old 09-16-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
It's funny, I didn't even realize those mono records were being released individually, as everything I heard was about the box set. It's about $100 less for all the records individually, and I could save another $35 off that by skipping the White Album, as I much prefer the stereo mix and doubt I'd ever listen to the mono.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll own them all but will buy in 2-3 chunks as money permits. I only care about the music.
Old 09-17-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Jayhawks re-issues are coming out in a few weeks - Sound of Lies, Smile, and Rainy Day Music.

I already own Sound of Lies on vinyl, but I'll still get the deluxe version coming out.
Old 09-17-14, 01:07 PM

I think I'm going in on all 5 Jayhawks reissues. Ugh.

I ordered a new cartridge today for my Rega RP-1: an Ortofon 2M Blue. I went ahead and ordered the upgraded belt too. I really hope I'm able to install the new cart without breaking something.

If you have any helpful experiences regarding cart installs, please share.
Old 09-17-14, 01:27 PM

You will love the blue. I'm sure you know about breakin time. Never installed one myself though.
Old 09-17-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wmermine
Am I the only one that would be more likely to buy the Megadeth re-issues if they were plain, 180g, black vinyl? I've read that pic discs have sound problems...

Same here ... I avoided the Maiden picture disks for the same reason .. though now they are re-releasing them on black vinyl. It would be better if they released the newer albums on black vinyl however
Old 09-18-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, this sorta surprised me.
Apparently Mondo bought Death Waltz Records.

Mondo is the Austin-based gallery that produces awesome-looking limited edition movie posters, VHS reissues, and soundtracks on vinyl (including that Drive reissue). They've just acquired Death Waltz Records, who also offer beautifully packaged vinyl-only soundtracks.

Death Waltz founder Spencer Hickman will join Mondo as their label manager, working alongside Mondo creative director Justin Ismael. In a statement, Hickman said:

"I looked at what we’ve achieved independently and then I started thinking what we can do together. We intend to build a full-service record label offering incredible music in all formats: vinyl, CD & digital. Our goal is to make Mondo the 'go-to' label for fans, filmmakers and composers alike. After 25 years in the music industry, I don’t think I have been as excited as I am with this opportunity."
http://pitchfork.com/news/56687-cool...-releases-due/

Also, I really want that Shaun of the Dead soundtrack.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 09-18-14 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-18-14, 02:47 PM

If you can't beat'em, join'em. I suppose Mondo will buy out Waxwork next.
Old 09-18-14, 03:39 PM

I will be at Mondocon this weekend. They are releasing 200 random test pressings of past current and future releases. $100 each. Kinda steep.
Old 09-18-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

This sucks. Knowing how Mondo operates, the new Death Waltz releases will be even harder to get.
Old 09-18-14, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I will be at Mondocon this weekend. They are releasing 200 random test pressings of past current and future releases. $100 each. Kinda steep.
$100 for a test pressing? Lame.

I admit I'm part of it (to a limited extent), but continue to be surprised at how much some are willing to pay for new vinyl records these days. On rare occasions have I paid in excess of $20 for a used record -- can't get anything new for less than that nowadays.

Then again, I was in a record shop the other day and saw they were selling a used copy of Zep III for $20. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention since I completed my Zep catalogue 15 years ago.
Old 09-19-14, 05:39 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Oasis are remastering and rereleasing their first 2 albums. Definitely Maybe is out now and (Whats the Story) Morning Glory? will be out soon. I haven't read any reviews on the remastering yet though.
Old 09-19-14, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
You will love the blue. I'm sure you know about breakin time. Never installed one myself though.
I successfully installed the new cart this evening. Breaking it in with Southern Rock Opera by The Drive By Truckers.

I'm liking the upgrade so far.
Old 09-19-14, 10:10 PM

Good new on that Ortofon Blue! Glad to hear you like it. It will really sing after 20-40 hours.

So at Mondocon tomorrow I guess I will be buying some records.

Shaun of the Dead
Looper
2001 The Lost Score
Iron Giant.

Still unsure about a test pressing. $100 doesn't seem worth it. But it's a Tyler Stout cover and I collect his posters. I can't see how anything could be THAT desirable as a TP besides The Beyond, Drive and future unannounced releases.
Old 09-20-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great album from amazon for six bucks...

Robin Trower: Bridge of Sighs
Old 09-21-14, 12:18 AM

Good lord they wanted $110 for the metal boxed Iron Giant record.

I bought the regular.

I played the Shaun of The Dead record throw game and won the opportunity to buy the strawberry corneto version when I beheaded two zombie mannequins by throwing records at them. The records used to toss were the variant Omens that had issues with side 2. They had 100s of them and they let me keep one after throwing it.

And it looks like that test pressing is flipping for 250-300 so far on eBay.
Old 09-21-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haven't bought much of late, but I did get the latest Death from Above 1979 LP. Great record

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.