Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 05-17-19, 02:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by Paff
Does anyone use a clamp/weight on their turntable?
I use a clamp (Clearaudio Clever Clamp). I tried a weight, but it seemed like my Uturn Orbit couldn't handle it.
Old 05-17-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

So for Mother's Day, I picked up the Audio-Technica AT-LP60-BK (we both wanted a player and took advantage of the day )
So far it's a really simple, but great player. Tried a few old albums as well as fresh ones and have to say, for $99 you cant beat it.
I'm no audiophile like some and I'm not one to say this player sounds or works better than another, but I'm happy. It's simple to use and does it's job. I know thee are junk, cheap players out there with plastic carts and all that, but this is perfect for an entry level player.
Old 05-17-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 928 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
HUGE ass long shot. But if anyone is still finding the Crow soundtrack in their local stores, anyone willing to hook me up? eBay flippers are fucking insane.
I've exhausted my resources
Did you try venturing to Temecula (I see you list San Diego as a location)? There's a couple of stores there that I've managed to snag some RSD releases that were pretty popular.

Originally Posted by Dan
I use a clamp (Clearaudio Clever Clamp). I tried a weight, but it seemed like my Uturn Orbit couldn't handle it.
I got my weight this week. Honestly, I don't notice a major audible difference, and I was a little worried about the extra load on the motor. But it seems to spin just as well, and I like some of the demos I've seen, so I'll keep it.
Old 05-17-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

PAFF

That's a long drive for me I'm at the southern end, damn near by the border. Like a 2 hour drive. Really appreciate the info though. Maybe if gas wasn't $4/gal ....
Old 05-17-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bah. You make a day of it. Sure it's not like going to M-Theory for a quick dig through the New Arrivals section, but you could easily spend a few hours at these Temecula stores and get a ton of good records. Grab a bite to eat in Old Town Temecula, have a little wine, sober up, and drive home. That's a perfect Saturday if ya ask me.
Old 05-17-19, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I could call around that way it's not driving all over the place up there
Any shops off the top of your head?
Old 05-17-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I'm curious, how do weights or clamps improve things? Is it for problems like warped vinyl for example? I've never used either before, even back when I was young, when turntables ruled the world (I got my first stereo when I was around 11 years old back in the late 70's).
Old 05-18-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VHS?
I guess I could call around that way it's not driving all over the place up there
Any shops off the top of your head?
Spindles Record Shack would be the first place to try, followed by Old Town Records

Originally Posted by cultshock
I'm curious, how do weights or clamps improve things? Is it for problems like warped vinyl for example? I've never used either before, even back when I was young, when turntables ruled the world (I got my first stereo when I was around 11 years old back in the late 70's).
It definitely helps warped records, or those bowed in the middle. For sound, it supposedly dampens the record, keeping the stylus more isolated from extraneous vibrations. Thought this was a good demo:

Old 05-18-19, 03:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah, what Paff said. One of those things where if you don't notice the issue, it's not necessary, but if you do, then a weight or clamp will help. The clamp I use has no weight to it at all, but it clamps the spindle quite well, so with a little effort, you can get a good bit of the warp out in addition to the vibration/slip reduction. On most records, I notice a minor difference. On warped ones, it's a bigger help.
Old 05-18-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounded a little deeper with the weight
Old 05-20-19, 07:38 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah, I use the pro-ject weight pretty much religiously. It's hard to describe, but I notice a tighter sound with it on. I also give my records a simple dust cleaning per side before playing and the weight makes this easier to do by reducing slippage.
Old 05-30-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the Albums Bought thread or this one. I just placed an order on Discogs for Direct Hits by The Michael Guthrie Band. It's been on my radar for a couple of years, a pretty solid early 80s power pop record. I haven't seen it at any of my used record stores. There was a guy in Arizona who has a factory sealed copy for $99. Quite expensive obviously, but I loooooooooove finding virgin vinyl from the true analog days. I'd been seriously considering it for several months now.
Then yesterday on Discogs there's another guy with a copy, also factory sealed, for $45. I mean, if I was seriously considering it at $99, then $45 has to be a must-buy, doesn't it?

Old 05-30-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the explanation on weight/clamps, guys. I don't currently have any terribly warped records, and am happy with how my LPs sound, so I guess I'm good as is for now at least.
Old 07-16-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts

Haven't bought a new vinyl in months, but saw that Banks has a new release and I have her previous releases and have also seen her twice live. She's awesome.

Old 07-16-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

deep discount blowout vinyl sale, some good stuff in here:

https://www.deepdiscount.com/blowout-bin/b237039
Old 07-16-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Over the weekend, I was eyeing up my Vertical Tracking Angle (my TT doesn't have an adjustment for it; I have to use various slipmats). While messing with this and having my face super close to the TT, I put on my spindle weight, and noticed the center of the record went down a millimeter or two when I placed it on. The record didn't look warped in any way, but the weight clearly had a physical effect. So I don't think it's snake oil by any means.

Oh, and that virgin Michael Guthrie record I posted about a few months ago? It sounds absolutely glorious. I have a few other original analog pressings still in shrink wrap, I've got to break them out one of these days.
Old 07-24-19, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, what are you guys using to clean your records (wet or dry)? I've been using a Spin Clean, and it's a bit of a PITA and I'm not amazed by the results, so I'm curious about what the rest of you folks use.

For my stylus, I just ordered the Onzow ZeroDust, looking forward to trying it out.
Old 07-24-19, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 719 Posts

I just use my old Discwasher brush, dry. None of my stuff has been particularly dirty, but I had considered getting a Spin Clean, at one point.

I also have the Discwasher stylus brush, and the zerostat gun.

It's this kit:

Old 07-24-19, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like a nice kit!

Yeah, now I'm thinking I might have overdid it with the Spin Clean, I mostly buy new vinyl, I just need an easy, safe way of getting any dust out of the grooves. I'm not cleaning dirty records with years of caked on shit.
Old 07-25-19, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the SpinClean don't you like?

I picked up a used SpinClean last year and I've been slowly going through my yard sale and flea market finds and cleaning them when I can. They are making a TON of difference. Ones that looked terrible look practically brand new again!
Old 07-25-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not that I don't like it, I guess I'm just using it on albums that don't really need that much cleaning, so I don't notice much of a difference and therefore it doesn't seem worth the effort. But if I pick up some dirty records at a yard sale or something, I'm sure it would come in very handy.

At this point, I mostly want to clean dust and particles out of the grooves of new vinyl, so maybe the Spin Clean isn't the easiest method for doing that.
Old 07-25-19, 12:04 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

How's the zero stat gun? I use an anti-static brush and it's so-so.
Old 07-25-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, my brush is so-so as well. That gun looks interesting.
Old 07-25-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts

I have a static brush but have been meaning to buy that ZeroDust Stylus cleaner.
Old 07-25-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm seeing good reviews of the Groovewasher, another brush/fluid method similar to "classic" Discwasher.

It's important for me, as I'm WAY more into buying used original vinyl. I try to avoid current pressings, except of current bands, of course.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.