Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-13, 03:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Fantastic cover.
Old 05-12-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it's pretty great. It sets the mood for the music that is encased in that artwork.
Old 05-12-13, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Very nice.

Didn't mean for the thread to die. I don't have anything coming in until next week, with Primus and Daft Punk vinyls. That should be a stellar week for tunes and vinyl. I'm also waiting on my Oblivion score from Mondo.
Old 05-13-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Am I the only one buying vintage vinyl?

New vinyl is insanely priced. For instance, that copy of the Beatles Let It Be I bought cost $10 but the "new" version is over $20. That's crazy. I'd much rather have an original. I realize this scenario is reversed in most cases with the original sometime costing way more than a new version. But an honest record shop owner will usually not totally overprice stuff. Maybe I'm lucky.
Old 05-13-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114

New vinyl is insanely priced. For instance, that copy of the Beatles Let It Be I bought cost $10 but the "new" version is over $20. That's crazy. I'd much rather have an original. I realize this scenario is reversed in most cases with the original sometime costing way more than a new version. But an honest record shop owner will usually not totally overprice stuff. Maybe I'm lucky.
No, I always try to pick up the vintage releases unless there is some compelling reason to get a new release (old one hard to find really expensive, a remix, bonus songs, etc)
Old 05-13-13, 01:58 PM
Banned by request

I usually buy vintage for older albums, but sometimes reissues are all you can get. I'd say my collection is 95% vintage, though.
Old 05-13-13, 03:06 PM
Banned by request

Speaking of reissues, I picked up the Tago Mago reissue on RSD. Opened it up today and discovered that it includes some awesome colored vinyl:

Old 05-13-13, 06:07 PM

I much prefer to have as close to a first press as possible for the albums I want. Sometimes though it's just not possible (Money or rarity or whatever). Mostly the new vinyl reissues I buy are of albums that were just released. I hardly ever buy reissues though, I have to really like the album and it has to have something exclusive about it.
Old 05-14-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Speaking of reissues, I picked up the Tago Mago reissue on RSD. Opened it up today and discovered that it includes some awesome colored vinyl:

That's awesome.

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I much prefer to have as close to a first press as possible for the albums I want. Sometimes though it's just not possible (Money or rarity or whatever). Mostly the new vinyl reissues I buy are of albums that were just released. I hardly ever buy reissues though, I have to really like the album and it has to have something exclusive about it.
Me as well. I just see lots of posts about new vinyl in the thread. Had me wondering. I bought a few reissues, like Pink Moon which is virtually impossible to find.
Old 05-14-13, 02:20 PM
Banned by request

I just think there have been a lot of good reissues coming out lately.

Speaking of, I still haven't gotten my Blade Runner set from Amazon. I might be out of luck on that one.
Old 05-14-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Beatles Let it Be reissue isn't even a gatefold like the original. (But the cheapness of The Beatles is a whole other topic...) For $22, I want at least the same level of quality as the 1970 version.
Old 05-14-13, 02:58 PM
Banned by request

I'm not saying every reissue is a good buy, but a lot of good reissues have come out recently.
Old 05-14-13, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh definitely. I can't speak to the audio fidelity but one I recently bought:

Packaging (ahem) is superb.
Old 05-14-13, 03:40 PM
Banned by request

That one I have an original issue of.
Old 05-14-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some of it is, and some of it's not. A lot of it is inflation, too. I was paying $7 to $11 an album for new vinyl back in it's heyday, and that was when vinyl (as a source material) was realtively cheap and in abundance. Plus, there were far more pressing plants producing vinyl records, too. These days, vinyl not only costs more, but there are only a handful of pressing plants to manufacture it - which also drives up the cost.

You are right in your last statement, though. If you know good places to look, you can usually find stuff at an extremely fair price. A lot of the vintage stuff I buy now I've often picked up for $5 or less, and much of that in near mint condition, too. Hell, I've even found still sealed copies of albums for only $1 or $3. (Some people just don't know what they have).

Originally Posted by BearFan
No, I always try to pick up the vintage releases unless there is some compelling reason to get a new release (old one hard to find really expensive, a remix, bonus songs, etc)
I usually buy vintage for older albums, but sometimes reissues are all you can get. I'd say my collection is 95% vintage, though.
Yes on both of those, too. Or sometimes, the reissue is the first time the album has ever been released on vinyl. I've gotten a lot of new albums, especially of 90's releases, that were never pressed on vinyl when first issued. Not to mention actual new album releases.
Old 05-14-13, 10:51 PM
Banned by request

Yes, vinyl production dropped down to a trickle in the '90s, so for a lot of those reissues are all you can get.
Old 05-15-13, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't totally buy the "vinyl costs more now" theory. Some albums are selling for $11 or so. Something identical by another artist might sell for $22. Why is the Flaming Lips new album $35 but Jimi Hendrix Axis Bold as Love double LP sells for $15? There is more going on.

On record stores, one I go to occasionally will have an album, label it as vintage, and charge $25 for it. I laugh and go to my regular store and buy the same albums for $3 or 5 or 8. And I stand in awe at the condition. Nearly perfect. I look at my albums from the 80s and they are completely beat.

I was excited to see the same copy of The Misfits Walk Among Us (pink one on Ruby) on the shelf at the store for $150 or something. THen I went home and looked at the condition of my copy. Let's just say my copy would be a good cover replacement for someone.

As for 90's never released on vinyl reissues, I'm a bit skeptical of the source material so I generally stay away from them.
Old 05-15-13, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this is interesting: https://feedbands.com/

It's basically a record of the month club, except they're pressing the vinyl themselves, for bands without record labels. It's $20 per month and if you don't like the record, you can return it for a refund.

Each album comes with a download code for the MP3 version, and the card with the code is biodegradable with a wildflower seed in it, so you can plant the card once you redeem the code and grow flowers.

They have a mobile app where you can listen to music from their bands, vote for the best ones, and I guess the one that gets the most votes each month get their record pressed for the vinyl service.

Sounds like a cool way to find new music. Just wish I could find some reviews of the service before deciding to take the plunge.
I just signed up for this. I too was a little weary of singing up...but there is really no way to lose with being able to ship anything back. I am going to check out the app too. But this seems like a really cool way to get people into stuff that might not make it otherwise*.

*I think of the Numero Group and the awesome soul stuff they put out. And how obscure some of that stuff is. So of course this is right up my alley.
Old 05-15-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by macnorton
I just signed up for this. I too was a little weary of singing up...but there is really no way to lose with being able to ship anything back. I am going to check out the app too. But this seems like a really cool way to get people into stuff that might not make it otherwise*.

*I think of the Numero Group and the awesome soul stuff they put out. And how obscure some of that stuff is. So of course this is right up my alley.
This would be better if there were some choice in the album .. maybe 3 or 4 a month to choose from and some sample mp3s ... mailing stuff back is pain and pretty needless in todays age.
Old 05-15-13, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, vinyl production dropped down to a trickle in the '90s, so for a lot of those reissues are all you can get.
Yeah, I have wanted Mellon Collie ... (Smashing Pumpkins) for some time, the 90s pressings were selling for an insane amounts of money, the reissues are great for these typs of albums.
Old 05-15-13, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by macnorton
Numero is fantastic. Those releases are of things you will never find/have never been commercially available before.

Yeah, I have wanted Mellon Collie ... (Smashing Pumpkins) for some time, the 90s pressings were selling for an insane amounts of money, the reissues are great for these typs of albums.
That's what reissues are best for. I won't pay what some are willing to pay for OOP albums.
Old 05-15-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This would be better if there were some choice in the album .. maybe 3 or 4 a month to choose from and some sample mp3s ... mailing stuff back is pain and pretty needless in todays age.
Eh, it doesn't bother me. I have all the tools at work to make shipping back easy, so that is a minor setback. But I can understand this might not be a selling point for some people.
Old 05-15-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am totally overwhelmed by music, old and new. I would never have time for these mystery bands.
Old 05-15-13, 04:38 PM
Banned by request

I'm immersed in music. I wouldn't say I'm overwhelmed by it.
Old 05-15-13, 05:14 PM

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

This makes me sound like a old codger but I don't have time to get into new bands. I think it's because whenever someone tells me about something new that they think is awesome, 75% of the time I can't stand it. I don't understand new music. I'd rather just listen to Sabbath or the Who.
The newest bands I've really gotten into were Queens of the Stone Age, the Black Keys and Them Crooked Vultures.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.