Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I get that, but I am probably listening to more music now than I was from 2000-2010 mainly due to Spotify and other sites that stream music ... it seems pretty easy to find a band that has similarities to older bands.
Old 05-15-13, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I've been purchasing some vinyl albums for a friend who's a little older than me and I like the fact that they're pretty easy to come buy for cheap. But yeah, going to new stores and seeing re-released vinyl albums look to be pretty pricey. I guess they feel they can charge that because the re-releases are aimed at collector's or a niche market. It's nice to get a re-release of an old album, by a band like The Beatles, and not have the cover look so aged and worn.

Anyways, I just like the idea of buying vinyl and listening to music that way as opposed to mp3s. I'm trying to find a cheaply priced turn table, not those mini ones, so I can star buying vinyl. There's alot of new indie and underground bands and musicians that I like who put out limited edition vinyl recordings of their albums.
Old 05-15-13, 07:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Brayzie, here's a good entry level turntable (don't even need a separate amplifier for it): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...=nosim/dvdtalk
Old 05-15-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...crosley-killer

Here is Pro-Jects upcoming 199 special. The Crosley killer? Or the UTurn killer?
Old 05-16-13, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Brayzie, here's a good entry level turntable (don't even need a separate amplifier for it): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...=nosim/dvdtalk
Hey, thanks! I've been checking Amazon but never saw that one. Looks like I've found my turntable.

Originally Posted by MBoyd
http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...crosley-killer

Here is Pro-Jects upcoming 199 special. The Crosley killer? Or the UTurn killer?
That looks really weird in a good way. If I had $200 to spend on a turntable I would get that.
Old 05-16-13, 02:04 AM
Banned by request

Why So Blu? first brought that turntable to my attention. I already have a vintage table that I restored, but I use that as a go-to for people who want to get into vinyl with a low cost of entry.
Old 05-16-13, 02:06 AM
Banned by request

Also

This is one of my favorite threads to spend time in. Thanks to everyone who contributes!
Old 05-16-13, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to stop lurking and post here.

I'm intrigued by the Pro-ject table. I'm planning to get a Rega RP-1 next month to upgrade my Audio Technica, which is a great entry table. But I just got the HK amp and some Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s, so I think I need a new table.

I don't think the Project quite hits the price point, though, unless it has markedly better sound than the upcoming u-turn.

At any rate, I'm glad more people are getting into vinyl. As many have pointed out here, it's an experience getting the vinyl and I love that. I'm into music again like I never was with mp3s. Of course, I grew up listening to my parents vinyl, so it's nostalgic as well.
Old 05-16-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Welcome! ^
Old 05-16-13, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by brayzie
I've been purchasing some vinyl albums for a friend who's a little older than me and I like the fact that they're pretty easy to come buy for cheap. But yeah, going to new stores and seeing re-released vinyl albums look to be pretty pricey. I guess they feel they can charge that because the re-releases are aimed at collector's or a niche market. It's nice to get a re-release of an old album, by a band like The Beatles, and not have the cover look so aged and worn.
As someone else pointed out earlier there are fewer plants than there used to be and that drives up the price.At my store we don't make a whole lot on new records, they're just expensive and we charge what we have to.
Old 05-16-13, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone else use discogs or something similar to track their records.

My collection, which is about 99% accurate

http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=bearfan
Old 05-16-13, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by BearFan
Anyone else use discogs or something similar to track their records.

My collection, which is about 99% accurate

http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=bearfan
I use Discogs everyday as a resource. It's a great tool.

Also, you have a shit-load of Iron Maiden.
Old 05-16-13, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I'll take a look at Discogs.
Old 05-16-13, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'll take a look at Discogs.
It's a good resource (for older vinyl especially) to find out which pressing etc. of a record you have.
Old 05-16-13, 07:43 PM
Banned by request

I use Rate Your Music: http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/...llet/oo,fmt.LP
Old 05-16-13, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I use Discogs everyday as a resource. It's a great tool.

Also, you have a shit-load of Iron Maiden.
I am a big Maiden fan ... I also think they made the best use of B Sides of about any band .. cool covers (both covers of songs and the album covers), otherwise unreleased live songs, and some screwing around songs .. which is why I have so many of their singles and pretty much none from anyone else
Old 05-16-13, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a good resource (for older vinyl especially) to find out which pressing etc. of a record you have.
It is a good place to buy music as well, especially harder to find stuff. There are some good sellers on there.
Old 05-16-13, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use musicstack.com for used stuff -- is discogs better? eBay?

The shipping is the thing that gets me. But, there aren't any shops nearby. So, I am stuck paying it.
Old 05-16-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went to Philadelphia last weekend and did what I swore I wouldn't do. Bought some records! I was in a neighborhood that had a couple of used shops and found some Bowie, Astrud Gilberto, Johnnie Hartman, Dizzy Gilsespie, Coltrane, and the Rocky soundtrack (had to buy that in Philly) in the used bins between $5 and $10. None of that would have been so cheap in Austin and it likely wouldn't have even made it on the shelf for 5 minutes. Never seen any of those used here. Been running them through the VPI record cleaner and they are sounding pretty nice.
Old 05-17-13, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wmermine
I use musicstack.com for used stuff -- is discogs better? eBay?

The shipping is the thing that gets me. But, there aren't any shops nearby. So, I am stuck paying it.
Discogs and ebay depend on the seller. I recently bought records on discogs from a guy who charged $5 for the first 3 albums then $1 for each additional for shipping, which I thought was reasonable and the album prices were good for those albums. You can set up a wish list on discogs and it will email you when albums get added with the price ... I have had a few more expensive ones I have wanted that I waited out for almost a year until someone put them up at a price I was willing to pay

I have also had luck buying from gemm.com ... it seem that it is mostly non-us sellers there, but sometimes they have some albums that are hard/nearly impossible to find in the US
Old 05-17-13, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BearFan
Discogs and ebay depend on the seller. I recently bought records on discogs from a guy who charged $5 for the first 3 albums then $1 for each additional for shipping, which I thought was reasonable and the album prices were good for those albums. You can set up a wish list on discogs and it will email you when albums get added with the price ... I have had a few more expensive ones I have wanted that I waited out for almost a year until someone put them up at a price I was willing to pay

I have also had luck buying from gemm.com ... it seem that it is mostly non-us sellers there, but sometimes they have some albums that are hard/nearly impossible to find in the US
I've used all three with decent results. Discogs and Gemm are good for finding unique foreign pressings of albums, too.

Another thing of note to anyone buying new vinyl - if you are buying from a place like Amazon, often times it's much cheaper to buy from one of the secondary market sellers that Amazon lists than it is Amazon, itself. I've used a few and usuallaly have been able to get the albums for half or more of what Amazon is charging, particularly UK pressed releases. When you are talking about the difference in cost between $18 to $20 an album vs. $35 to $40, it's often made the difference in whether I've chosen to actually buy certain records. Something to keep in mind, at least.
Old 05-17-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As someone else pointed out earlier there are fewer plants than there used to be and that drives up the price.At my store we don't make a whole lot on new records, they're just expensive and we charge what we have to.
But like I said, there is a huge price discrepancy. I bought a Low album for $11 but something like Tame Impala is $20 or Flaming Lips new album is $35. It's nuts.
Old 05-17-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by CRM114
But like I said, there is a huge price discrepancy. I bought a Low album for $11 but something like Tame Impala is $20 or Flaming Lips new album is $35. It's nuts.
Only thing I can think of that isn't just charging more because they can is weight. Were the Flaming lips 180 and the others thinner?
Old 05-17-13, 01:10 PM
Banned by request

$35 MSRP for the Flaming Lips is indeed ridiculous. I saw the album on RSD and would have bought it, but the price was way too high.
Old 05-17-13, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114
Some companies get their stuff pressed for cheaper. I can't explain it. The new Lips record is an example of Warner Brothers charging a lot for a record because they know they can. For the record we're charging $22 for the new Tame Impala record and $31.99 for the Lips.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.