Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-14, 07:20 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

My daughter gave me her tickets to Friday's Pitchfork after Death Grips dropped out, so I got to see Beck along with Sharon Van Etten, Sun Kil Moon, and Giorgio Moroder.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/H26MwK3Dmno" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-29-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 08-01-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wednesday, I'm seeing Steely Dan for the 2nd time.
Thursday, I'm seeing The Avett Brothers for the 5th time.

Other than that, last year was WAY better concert wise for me.
Old 08-01-14, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

On Tuesday, I saw The Baseball Project (with Peter Buck and Mike Mills of REM, plus Steve Wynn and Scott McCaughey). They were a lot of fun, and its cool to see big names in a tiny club (the Press Room in Portsmouth NH) with no audience (maybe 30-40 people).

Thursday night was Imelda May at the Paradise in Boston. She has an incredible voice, and the band was great. Despite that, I was actually a little bored after a while - a lot of the songs sounded a bit similar in tone, and after an hour or so, it started to wear on me a bit.
Old 08-04-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Went and saw Paul McCartney on August 2nd at Target Field in Minneapolis. It was a great show and at 72 years old the guy puts on a hell of a show. He played nearly three hours and didn't even take a break. I know some people criticize him for putting on the same show night after night but I can't really fault him for it. That's what the majority of people expect I think and he plays a good mix of material from The Beatles, Wings, and some solo career stuff. I'd easily rank it as one of the best concerts I've been to and it's pretty awesome to say I've seen one of the living Beatles in concert.

My next show will be Pearl Jam in October which I'm equally excited for. I've seen or will have seen most of the big names I've wanted to aside from Springsteen after seeing McCartney and Pearl Jam.
Old 08-04-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 08-04-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Went and saw Paul McCartney on August 2nd at Target Field in Minneapolis. It was a great show and at 72 years old the guy puts on a hell of a show. He played nearly three hours and didn't even take a break. I know some people criticize him for putting on the same show night after night but I can't really fault him for it. That's what the majority of people expect I think and he plays a good mix of material from The Beatles, Wings, and some solo career stuff. I'd easily rank it as one of the best concerts I've been to and it's pretty awesome to say I've seen one of the living Beatles in concert.<snip>
Yes I was there too. Sir Paul WAS amazing. Here’s a Living Legend 13 years older than me doing a 3 hour show with energy, limber, lithe, and LOUD!

Tears! Admiration. Thankfulness. Adoration. I think I do love him. He kicked off with ‘Eight Days A Week’, did a huge favorite of mine – ‘1985’, blew me away with OMG ‘Lovely Rita’ OMG, for John he did ‘Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite’ WOW WOW WOW, “Band On The Run’ with the video behind showing the photo shoot for the album cover that was filmed, ‘Daytripper’, a rousing ‘Paperback Writer’, an explosive “Live & Let Die’, a ‘Maybe I’m Amazed’ that sounded like he did 30 years ago his voice was that good, a crowd-participated “Hey Jude’, another rouser with ‘Lady Madonna’ with backdrop of famous women, and a stellar over-the-top ‘Helter-Skelter’ that blew us away. He closed with side of ‘Abbey Road’ of course – ‘The End’. It was Just Great.
Long live Paul!
Old 08-10-14, 10:11 PM

Mighty Mighty Bosstones w/ The Interrupters and The A-Oks: Ogden Theater, Denver, CO.

After all these years, MMB can still deliver live, such a fun show.
Old 08-10-14, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my daughter to the Arctic Monkeys at Staples in Los Angeles last Thursday. Very good show. I was only familiar with their newest album, but the setlist was excellent and I'll definitely be picking up some more of their titles.
Old 08-11-14, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

08/10/14
Echo and the Bunnymen
@Metro
Chicago, IL
Old 08-11-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Last night 8/10/14, a great triple bill of
- Iron & Wine
- The Head and the Heart
- Glen Hansard
At the Hollywood Bowl.

An amazingly beautiful Summer night at the Bowl, and one of the best 3-act line-ups I've ever seen - they're a bit mellow, but I really dig all three acts.

Old 08-11-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by woofman
Mighty Mighty Bosstones w/ The Interrupters and The A-Oks: Ogden Theater, Denver, CO.

After all these years, MMB can still deliver live, such a fun show.
I saw the Bosstones last year up at Breckinridge for a free show at the base, good times. Those guys are a lot of fun.

Boston
The Doobie Brothers
Fiddler's Green
Last Wednesday, whatever day that was.

It was a good show, although I have no idea how many of either band are original members. Boston got a little long in the tooth during the middle of some songs, but my parents and I enjoyed it all.
Old 08-11-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw Steely Dan and then The Avett Brothers on successive nights.

Donald Fagen and Steely Dan never cease to amaze me in their precision and tightness and the exactly perfect creation of a pop song. Donald Fagen is extremely underrated in the pantheon of rock (perhaps not). The band had 10 members. Guitarist Jon Herington - impeccable.

The Avett Brothers have changed from a 3-piece acoustic setup I was several years ago into a mostly electric show with added violin, keys and drummer. Non-stop energy, they are now pulling from a pretty large catalog of material. I'd see them any time I could.
Old 08-11-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

went to the Summer Nationals Tour featuring The Vandals, Pennywise, Bad Religion and The Offspring. Offspring played SMASH in it's entirety for it's 20th anniversary which was excellent.
Old 08-13-14, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I saw the Bosstones last year up at Breckinridge for a free show at the base, good times. Those guys are a lot of fun.
Very cool, I bet that is a neat place to see a show.
Old 08-16-14, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Great double header last weekend. Friday night was 30STM and Linkin Park and Sunday was Soundgarden and NIN. Both great shows.
Old 08-17-14, 09:14 AM

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Sonny Knight & The Lakers - It was a beautiful night at the Lake Harriet Bandshell in Mpls,MN
Old 08-17-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Motley Crue with Alice Cooper and The Raskins.

The Crue were fun, but the sound was bad. The vocals were too low and the sound in general was just sloppy. It was in one of the summer sheds, so we only got the partial Cobra for the drum solo. Speaking of the drum solo, it was mainly an excuse for Tommy Lee to show off another impressive drum gizmo while playing along to some dubstep music (seriously!) Despite this grumbling, it was a fun show and an impressive spectacle for them to go out on, at least until the inevitable reunion show. Huge crowd, mostly older guys, with a few girls that look like they stepped out of 1985. no complaints there whatsoever

Alice Cooper was a lot of fun. Can't believe it's taken me this long to see him perform. The Raskins were a waste of time.
Old 08-17-14, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Alice Cooper is always great. I've only seen him a few times but really enjoyed it each time, whether it's a big production show when he's headlining or "just" a 'greatest hits' type show.

Got back late last night from GWARBQ 2014.

It was incredible.
Friday night began with a powerful a cappella version of "Danny Boy" altered to be "Davey Boy" then eulogies for Dave Brockie from Jello Biafra, the guy from Lamb of God, the guy from Holliston, and Slymenstra as a Valkryie who lit an archer's arrow on fire, who then set Oderus aflame on the SS Boat out on the lake.
Then the B4B4 with Venomous Maximus (I actually liked them best), Attack, Gritter, and Black Dahlia Murder.
The Q itself had a bunch of bands, but I was mostly there for Body Count, the Meatmen, the Misfits, and of course GWAR which was a great show. In addition to the core band, also on stage were Slymenstra, Sleazy, Mike Bishop back as new character Blothar, Bonesnapper, Sawborg Destructo, Sexecutioner, Gor Gor, and of course performing each of their 'signature' songs.
It was very well done, I thought - a good variety of songs from different eras, a good balance between singers, and a respectful way to lead in to continuing the band without "replacing" Dave.
I had VIP tickets and got to meet/meat and greet GWAR, the Misfits, and Ice T/Body Count and got them all to sign my Tshirt.
Old 08-22-14, 08:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Royksopp / Robyn (Wolf Trap Vienna Virginia): Royksopp was good, but Robyn stole the show with her mini set of her songs. I must admit I'm not a fan of the two's duo album, but performed 'live' it was better.
Old 08-22-14, 09:14 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
08/10/14
Echo and the Bunnymen
@Metro
Chicago, IL
Good, or is McCulloch's voice still shot?
Old 08-22-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Good, or is McCulloch's voice still shot?
They were excellent musically, and his voice sounded strong.

Their encore of Ocean Rain was absolutely spot-on and was probably the highlight of the show for me...
Old 08-23-14, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back from Soundgarden and Nine Inch Nails at Verizon Ampthitheater. I realized that I haven't seen NIN since 1994. Both bands were incredible. Cornell's voice is as rich as ever and Trent manages to assemble the best musicians and stage production I've ever seen.
Old 08-23-14, 04:24 AM
Banned

Rodrigo and Gabriel at Wolf Trap, VA. Great show.

--
Old 08-23-14, 08:59 AM

saw Jeff Tweedy about a month ago, Arcade Fire last Wednesday, and taking my hair-metal loving wife to see Motley Crue on Sunday.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.