Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tool discussion thread [inc "10,000 Days" reviews]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Tool discussion thread [inc "10,000 Days" reviews]

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. This steroscopic design is probably one of the most creative cd packages ever! Really amazing stuff. Too bad it is such a pain to get the cd out and the case doesn't stay closed.

I haven't really got into the songs after a few spins, but it's not bad. Listening to it on the way home saturday night, there were a few tracks where I was just WISHING THEY WOULD FREAKING END! Especially on track 3 or 4...the 11 minute thing. Blah.
Old 05-08-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
How is the glasses thing supposed to work. I look thru them and other than magnifying the pictures a little, I can't see much difference.
Old 05-08-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When you look through the glasses the two images should combine into one, and the resulting image should be 3-D. It's really cool for such an old school technolgy.
Old 05-08-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
[astrochimp]

tried my brother's copy, same thing won't play on the Panasonic player. So I won't return my copy,at least I can listen to the CD-R copy.
Old 05-08-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
[astrochimp]

tried my brother's copy, same thing won't play on the Panasonic player. So I won't return my copy,at least I can listen to the CD-R copy.
Thanks for the update.Guess i'll stick with my copy then too but i hope this doesnt become a recurring problem with new cd's.
Old 05-09-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Thanks for the update.Guess i'll stick with my copy then too but i hope this doesnt become a recurring problem with new cd's.
No shit! For a minute I thought, I had bought a Dual Disc.
Old 05-09-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm really starting to like the album and it is really growing on me.

Vicarious
Jambi
The Pot
Rosetta Stoned

Are all simply spectacular.
Old 05-09-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Vicarious
Jambi
The Pot
those I like. gonna be on my new mix cd.
Old 05-09-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far I really like this album. My only problem is that a lot of the riffs sound like leftovers from lateralus.
Old 05-10-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To me there is very few parts of this album that sounds like Lateralus,to me it's a totally diffrent sound then Lateralus.

Im really likeing

Jambi
The Pot
Resetta Stoned
Right in Two
Old 05-10-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Rosetta Stoned is the weakest point in the album, along with its preludes, but all the other songs are cool.
Old 05-10-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No way,the weakest point in the album imo is Wing's1&2,even though I enjoy the song's it's paceing is off because its kinda slow,they should have switched with Rosetta Stoned that way you have a rocking album at first then the pace slows down till the end,but hey no complaints here I enjoy all the song's.
Old 05-10-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVDHO
No way,the weakest point in the album imo is Wing's1&2,even though I enjoy the song's it's paceing is off because its kinda slow,they should have switched with Rosetta Stoned that way you have a rocking album at first then the pace slows down till the end,but hey no complaints here I enjoy all the song's.
You and I have completely different view points. I things Wings 1 & 2 are the best songs on the album, hands down. Although you do make a good point that the pacing seems a bit odd.
Old 05-10-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tool Tops Album Chart With '10,000 Days'

Rock acts dominate the top two slots on The Billboard 200 again this week, with Tool's "10,000 Days" taking the crown on more than double the sales of the latest from Pearl Jam.

The Tool Dissectional/Volcano set gave the band a career-best sales week, moving 564,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan, to put it at No. 1. "10,000 Days" also takes over the lead from Godsmack's "IV" (Universal) on the Top Rock Albums chart.

Tool's last album, "Lateralus," also opened at No. 1 on the big chart in 2001 with sales of 555,000 units. It has sold more than 2.3 million to date.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 05-10-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tool Plots 'Vicarious' DVD Single

Tool is planning to promote "Vicarious," the seven-minute first single from its new album, "10,000 Days," with a DVD single in the coming weeks. The group previously issued singles in this format for its tracks "Schism" and "Parabola."

As reported this morning (May 10), "10,000 Days" debuts this week on top of The Billboard 200 on the strength of 564,000 copies sold in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The album is configured like a folding book, with one flap carrying stereoscopic lenses, and the other a booklet with sets of paintings and photographs on each page. When spied through the lenses, each set emerges as one 3-D image.

The concept is the brainchild of Tool guitarist Adam Jones, who also serves as the band's art director. Jones, a member of the Southern California Stereoscopic Club, came up with the idea after seeing a children's book modeled in the same fashion.

"Except for the band, everyone fought me on it -- everyone," he tells Billboard.com. "But eventually I got my way."

"I grew up in the '70s, just sitting on the edge of my bed and tripping on all the art [found on LPs]," he continues. "And it's not like that anymore. So you have to make it a lot more special. [King Crimson guitarist] Robert Fripp was at our show the other day, and he said, 'This is the best album art since the '70s.'"

After completing a round of American dates later this month and ensuing tours of Europe and Japan, Jones says the band will return to the States in the fall.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 05-12-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Having only been a big fan of Maynard and the boys on OPIATE and UNDERTOW I am curiously warming up to this album, vocals and riffs sound great and the Perfect Circle type mellowness sounds good to me. Took me a couple listens but this is a great CD.
Old 05-12-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't consider myself a Tool devotee, but I like this album a great deal after one listen through. I own Aenima and Lateralus, I guess I prefer the latter, so this album's right in my wheelhouse. It's definitely true that Tool albums seem to be slow burns that require several listens to absorb, but this one grabbed me right up front.

The one aspect that stands out to me on my initial listen in the fantastic drumming throughout.
Old 05-12-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Corvin
I think Rosetta Stoned is the weakest point in the album, along with its preludes, but all the other songs are cool.

It seems a lot of people in this thread say that, I think Rosetta Stoned is one of the best songs on the album... It must be the "Shit the bed" lyrics.
Old 05-12-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
It seems a lot of people in this thread say that, I think Rosetta Stoned is one of the best songs on the album... It must be the "Shit the bed" lyrics.
Here's the trend as I see it: if one finds Rosetta Stoned to be one of the better songs on the album, they generally dislike Wings 1 & 2, and vice versa.

And even though I know you were joking with the "shit the bed" line, I actually think the end of the song---when there is a lot of talk about bed-shitting---is much better than the first couple minutes.
Old 05-12-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by heimerSWT
They played a very "mainstream" set. Basically, they played all of their big radio hits (minus Prison Sex). No Third Eye, Pushit, H, Refection/Triad/etc, Opiate songs. I would imagine this was a major promo thing for them since the album was being released 24 hours after they ended it.

This was the setlist:

Stinkfist
The Pot
46&2
Jambi
Schism
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima
here's what they played tonight in Minneapolis

Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
46&2
Jambi
Schism
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
encore
Vicarious
Aenima
Old 05-12-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's the trend as I see it: if one finds Rosetta Stoned to be one of the better songs on the album, they generally dislike Wings 1 & 2
Yup. That would be me. I seriously do not enjoy the Wings tracks.
Old 05-13-06, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Corvin
Here's the trend as I see it: if one finds Rosetta Stoned to be one of the better songs on the album, they generally dislike Wings 1 & 2, and vice versa.

And even though I know you were joking with the "shit the bed" line, I actually think the end of the song---when there is a lot of talk about bed-shitting---is much better than the first couple minutes.
Yup, I like Rosetta Stoned and think that Wings is just average.
Old 05-13-06, 11:21 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Wings 1&2 are stellar. I wasn't sold at first, but the more I listen to them both, the more I love them. They are also easily the most emotional songs Maynard has ever written. I'd say if you loved Reflection (off of Lateralus) you will love this song, and I loved reflection. The repetition, the slow groove. I do think there is a misstep right at the end with the last heavy stuff as it sounds too...typical, but I can forgive them. Still loving this record more and more each day.
Old 05-13-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its not that I dont like Wings 1&2 I just dont like where they are placed on the album,Reflection was placed perfectly on Lateralus imo at the end.

There is not 1 single song I dont like on 10,000 days,it's the placement I dont like.
Old 05-13-06, 04:39 PM

I think Intension and Right In Two are good on their own, but are victims of poor album album arrangement. After Rosetta Stoned about the last thing I want to hear is Intension.

I'd arrange it more like:
1. Jambi
2. Right In Two
3. Vicarious
4. Intension
5. Lost Keys
6. Rosetta Stoned
7. Lipan Conjuring
8. The Pot
9. Wings For Marie
10. XM Days
11. 23

FWIW, Rosetta Stoned and XM Days are my two favorites with The Pot and Jambi taking slots 3 and 4. I love Tool epics, it's a damn good album even if it isn't as cohesive as the past 2

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.