Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tool discussion thread [inc "10,000 Days" reviews]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Tool discussion thread [inc "10,000 Days" reviews]

Old 05-18-06, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a really slow typist.
Old 05-19-06, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by heimerSWT
I think you accidentally switched Viginti Tres and Wings for Marie (pt 1). Viginti Tres is supposed to start after Wings for Marie.
That's not what I read. I will try the other way.
Old 05-19-06, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

David is right. In the mp3 I had put Wings for Marie first as opposed to what the image shows. I'm listening to how it sounds with Viginti Tres first. I'll post both the Wings for Marie -> Viginti Tres & Viginti Tres -> Wings for Marie if you all prefer.
Old 05-19-06, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The 'Correct' sync

http://rapidshare.de/files/20829036/...gsPt1.mp3.html

The sync that pretty well compatible as well

http://rapidshare.de/files/20828871/...iTres.mp3.html
Old 05-19-06, 08:16 AM

Your first link is the one that is supposed to sync up pretty well at around 9 minutes 10 seconds. If you listen to the the track you made, starting at that point, you will notice the same words and notes being played. They just didn't match up completely because the songs were "off" in the mp3 you made.

I have no technical knowledge of how to get it to be word for word and note for note, but it seems like it is only a second or two off at that point. This is the first time I've heard it at all, so I appreciate you doing this.
Old 05-19-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by heimerSWT
Your first link is the one that is supposed to sync up pretty well at around 9 minutes 10 seconds. If you listen to the the track you made, starting at that point, you will notice the same words and notes being played. They just didn't match up completely because the songs were "off" in the mp3 you made.

I have no technical knowledge of how to get it to be word for word and note for note, but it seems like it is only a second or two off at that point. This is the first time I've heard it at all, so I appreciate you doing this.
I'll mess with it some more after work this afternoon. I noticed that too.
Old 05-19-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I made this 3-track combo with a Cool Edit Pro program last night, and it sounded really cool up until the last minute where it just would not line up not matter what direction i moved it. Although it might have actually been perfect I suppose, and the effect I was hearing was just an "echo".

It didn't open any gate to hell like I was hoping for.
Old 05-19-06, 04:55 PM

I have not heard this one yet. The one I have tried was Viginti Tres and (-) ions at the same time.
Old 05-19-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Been messing with it for an hour and I can't seem to line up the words at the end. I think it's intentionally an echo.
Old 05-19-06, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Been messing with it for an hour and I can't seem to line up the words at the end. I think it's intentionally an echo.
I probably should've clarifiied earlier, in the version I have there is a slight echo in the words. However, as you said I think it is intentional. But the part where the drumming and guitar gets really heavy right before that is what seems to sync up identically from what I can tell.
Old 05-19-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well i was attempting to sync up the words at the end but i ran out of time to finish it. looks like you beat me to putting the files together though
Old 05-19-06, 10:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Listening to the linked song from above, it feels like the heavy part of Wings for Marie comes in a few seconds too early. It should line up exactly with the heavy part of 10,000 Days, but dosen't because it is to fast. I don't think there is supposed to be an echo...they just aren't synced up correctly. Wings 1 is early, making all the words from Wings 1 earlier than 2, making them sound like an echo rather than together. I'd say that if it doesn't match up spot on, or close to it, people are stretching for some higher meaning. But if they do match and line up perfectly (as I think they might) then it isn't a coincidence. Awesome that people are trying these types of things, exciting in a nerdy sort of way.
Old 05-19-06, 11:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Ok, I've heard a few different versions now...and think that I will call bullshit.
I love the idea, but I think it is a stretch. When reading that Wings would be a two parter a few months back, I kinda assumed that the same themes (musical, lyrical) would be shared. And they are. After a few listens of each, anyone should be able to figure out that that are meant to be one (ala Parabol/Parabola, or Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned). But these are two seperate songs meant to be played at different times. I think if TOOL really strived to do this sort of thing, EVERYTHING would line up better. But for now, it doesn't. I think that both songs just end the same or in a very similar way...almost like, dare I say, the chorus of a song.

Fun nonetheless.
Old 05-26-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The songs are stereoscopic just like the album art. Each is just slightly different. But when viewed correctly, make one.
Old 05-26-06, 10:29 AM

hi all, new here..this Tool album is, simply put, amazing. Granted, I think it's a notch lower than Aenima and Lateralus (Lateralus is the perfect album in my opinion) but this just furthers Tool as the greatest American band going, and ever. The musicianship is phenomenal. Carey is a drumming God, and Maynard is as dark and jaded as ever. I will also say that I was one of the fortunate that was able to see Tool last Saturday in the New York City Center and what a show! They played a flawless show and they have this aura about them that really makes everything out there, on the radio etc., sound amateur. If you've never seen Tool live, I urge you to do whatever you can to. It's a special thing. 10,000 Days further solidifies that in 20 years Tool will be mentioned with the Zeppelins and The Who in terms of their place in Rock and Roll history as one of the greatest bands of all time. With Pearl Jam and Chili Peppers and Guns and Roses, along with Tool back around it seems rock is getting a much needed shot in the arm. Hopefully the crap like Fall Out Boy and Good Charlotte will fade away citing inadequacy. It's sad to think that you can be listening to the radio and after a brilliant Tool song or a PJ song, a crappy Fall Out Boy song could follow that. It just goes to show that if you need something new, it's sometimes better to go with something old.

This album is awesome. If you don't like it and are a Tool fan, I'm not sure what you are waiting for or expected. This is a triumph.
Old 08-03-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts
Love it. I can see most needing some time for it to grow on them but for me, it grew on me as I was listening to it for the first time.

These guys are talented as all hell and it amazes me as to how the hell they keep it original on each album.

Now, seeing as how I have absolutely no free time until 10:30pm every night, I don't know the names to all the tracks, only listened to the cd because a friend let me borrow it, and I only have time to listen to it on my long commute back and forth to work everyday - so cut me some slack on only saying "Track...."

Track 1 (Vicarious I believe?) - second best to Stinkfist - I love it.
Track 2 - not too shabby but could use a little more kick, still good though
Track 3 - love it
Track 4 - love it and I can't believe it's 10 or 11 min long, I listen to it the whole way through almost every time.
Track 5 - second best song on the disc
Track 6-8 - more on these in a sec
Track 9 - good tune needs a little more to it though
Track 10 - love it - good pace
Track 11 - WTF???

About tracks 6-8 - here's the deal, this is the type of CD I can listen to the whole way through while relaxing outside or while having a few people over - these tracks (for me anyway) add a certain tone to the album, I don't blame anyone for not liking them but for me, that's just Tool and it's all about EVERY song with them.

I sorta fell out of this band after Laterlus - not that it was bad or anything - I actually likes it a lot but maybe just because I got into some new music along the way and with how damn long it takes for a new Tool album to come out....you can't really blame me.

I will be buying this one for sure - I really like it a lot.
Old 08-03-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
This is the first time I listen to a complete TOOL album [except track 11] without being bored. I have all their albums, but in all honesty I forget about them and only listen to either one or a couple of tracks of each album.

OPIATE: Part Of Me
UNDERTOW: Sober & Prison Sex
AENIMA: Stinkfist, Hooker With A Penis & Aenema
LATERALUS: Schism

Those are the only ones I only seem to get into...maybe I need to listen to these albums more. I try to, but...

anyways 10,000 DAYS has to be my favorite, cause when I listen to it, I actually enjoy the album, even the long ass songs which has turn me off before on past albums.

Can't wait to see them on September 8 @ Staples Center.
Old 08-08-06, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back from the concert at Fresno. It was an amazing concert, I may have to go see them again. Ill try to post the playlist if I can remember it.

H.
The Pot
46 and 2
Jambi
sober
Rosetta stoned
Schism
Vicarious
Lateralus
and Aenema

I have probably forgot a song or 2. The only thing that seemed odd to me is that they never talked to the croud at all until they said good night this is our last one....
Old 08-08-06, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Such a short setlist, although typical for this tour. If they wouldn't drag out the interludes so long, they could get a few more songs in. Also typical, the not talking to the crowd part.

I'll be seeing them sooner or later, I don't remember the date.
Old 08-08-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Dashed
The only thing that seemed odd to me is that they never talked to the croud at all until they said good night this is our last one....
This is the biggest problem I have with this band. I saw them when they came to the HSBC Arena in Buffalo and while it was easily the best concert I've ever been to, Maynard sang basically behind stage for the whole show. Now, I don't really care if a band "talks" to their audience in between songs but people are paying to see a guy/band they love and at the very least, head up is ass (Maynard) should make an apperance.

But, what can you do? I can't bitch too much because they put out great music and they are one of the few original bands left. Maybe someone needs to tell Maynard that showing himself during concerts is not a mainstream move.....he'd come out then

Oh, and don't give me that "It's all about the music man" or "they want you to experience the concert in a different way" bullshit, I don't buy it.
Old 08-08-06, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The reason I was suprised that they dont really talk to the crowd is because when I saw APC play live he was talking to the crowd almost after every song, Introducing the band, making fun of arnold whatever.... Maynard just didnt seem like the same person. Think I will splurge and go see them again sep 2. or go to the Mars Volta/Chilie peppers show in Oakland.
Old 08-09-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read somewhere quite some time ago that Maynard limits the amount of time he looks at the crowd because he's shy/nervous when he does. It makes sense, but the times I've seen them he's been pretty lively and entertaining, albeit still a little less showmanship-like than a lot of frontmen.
Old 08-09-06, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Really, if anyone needs to do something, it's Justin and Adam. I've seen more action from the napkin I just threw in the trash. Granted, the napkin isn't making quite as nice of music, but it does move more.
Old 09-02-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

From Toolband.com July newsletter

Q: "And When Combining Wings, and Viginti Tres, their time combined matches that of 10,000 Days (Wings PT. 2), is there any particular reason for this?"

A: It's either just a coincidence or the clue to a super 'hidden' track.
Old 09-04-06, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Really, if anyone needs to do something, it's Justin and Adam. I've seen more action from the napkin I just threw in the trash. Granted, the napkin isn't making quite as nice of music, but it does move more.
I guess it didn't really matter how much they were moving when I went to see them last week. I got so fed up with the shitty venue, that I walked out of the concert 3 songs into Tool's set. I'd rather eat nachos then see Tool in that crappy of a venue.