Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tool discussion thread [inc "10,000 Days" reviews]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-06, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently the booklet has stereoscopic images and the cover includes lenses to view them properly.

Kudos to tool on their packaging on everything since Aenima.

Edit: not sure if this is overseas only and/or a limited edition but be aware that this version is out there.

Last edited by DarthMarino; 04-30-06 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-01-06, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stereoscope version is the only one we got in at my store so it is either the only version or iy shouldn't be hard to find.
Old 05-02-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Atreus
The stereoscope version is the only one we got in at my store so it is either the only version or iy shouldn't be hard to find.
I just got back from Circuit City and it's the only one they have as well.
Old 05-02-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The stereoscopic images is cool and classic tool stuff, but I HATE the thickness of the packaging, the way it doesn't fit with the other Tool records on my shelf, and the way you very carefully have to slide the disc in and out of that sleeve, over staples - the booklet and fold - this is hard to do and I fear that with lots of in and out, the CD will get scratched...will have to take extra care with this one...

MATT
Old 05-02-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
The stereoscopic images is cool and classic tool stuff, but I HATE the thickness of the packaging, the way it doesn't fit with the other Tool records on my shelf, and the way you very carefully have to slide the disc in and out of that sleeve, over staples - the booklet and fold - this is hard to do and I fear that with lots of in and out, the CD will get scratched...will have to take extra care with this one...

MATT
I don't really care about the abnormal packaging, but I am also worried taking care of the CD. But really, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Just make a copy of the CD and use the copy as your primary disc. You'll never have to remove the original again.

If you can't make copies, then yes, the packaging is definitely not cool.
Old 05-02-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what's it sound like?

anyone have an honest, objective opinion on the album? i've always been a tool fan, but i'm not obsessive. i liked the direction they were going with lateralus.
Old 05-02-06, 03:23 PM

I love the packaging and all of the artwork and the fact that they provided the tool view the artwork as they wanted it to be viewed. I'll be making a copy to keep in the car so as not to screw up the original. So far, I'm loving it. It is very much like Lateralus. And it has alot of experimental sounding stuff. I've only listened to it twice so far, but I have no complaints yet.
Old 05-02-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
what's it sound like?

anyone have an honest, objective opinion on the album? i've always been a tool fan, but i'm not obsessive. i liked the direction they were going with lateralus.
Honestly, if you like Lateralus theres no reason you wouldn't like this one. It's very similar in terms of sound, production, etc. I'm sure other people will back me up on this.
Old 05-02-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sure do but at the same time it does not sound just like Lateralus,you will here alot of Aenima on this album also with some new sounding stuff,the more I listen to it the more I like it,just like there previous album's.

There is also alot more epic sounding song's like for instance Roseta Stoned sound's like 3 diffrent song's within one song,great stuff..
Old 05-02-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

so is the same as the one that leaked? i heard they made a fake cd to be leaked...i found that hard to believe though.
Old 05-02-06, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by chino77
so is the same as the one that leaked? i heard they made a fake cd to be leaked...i found that hard to believe though.

yep, same one. But the legit copy sounds so much better and you hear much more stuff than you can with 192 kps mp3's. I've already imaged it to keep it in my car for a while. Definatly worth 10 bucks at Best Buy.

Its a good follow-up from Lateralus. the song 10,000 Days is my favorite. The Pot is also good.

Last edited by LeeVing; 05-02-06 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-02-06, 06:30 PM

Great CD. Best $10 bucks you can spend.

I really like 10,000 Days, Jambi, and Vicarious. Can't wait to hear them live!
Old 05-02-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone havin trouble playin the cd? Wont play at all on my dvd player on my home stereo(only cd ive had that wont) nor on the dvd drive of my PC and in the cd drive it rips it but shows no track info but it plays.
Old 05-02-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had no problem playing it in my car (have one of those xm radio/cd players) and my dvd player on my computer ripped it with no problem via windows media player. hell, i was able to join the 2 songs via itunes.
Old 05-02-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i had no problem playing it in my car (have one of those xm radio/cd players) and my dvd player on my computer ripped it with no problem via windows media player. hell, i was able to join the 2 songs via itunes.
I'll give it a shot in my car tomorrow and if that dont work im gonna exchange it infact i might anyway since it wont play on my home stereo which i dont use much these days but would like to have that option.
Old 05-02-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Anyone havin trouble playin the cd? Wont play at all on my dvd player on my home stereo(only cd ive had that wont) nor on the dvd drive of my PC and in the cd drive it rips it but shows no track info but it plays.
No problems here, either. It played fine in my car's CD player, my DVD and CD drives, and my DVD player.
Old 05-02-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by astrochimp
just tried to listen to it [for the first time]. FUCK!!! , It does not boot up at all. I have/use a PANASONIC [5 DISC] DVD/CD PLAYER DVD-F87. It works on my PC.

I'll return it, see if it's juast a bad disc. No TOOL for me . I'll listen to Pearl Jam again, then.

Last edited by gerrythedon; 05-02-06 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-02-06, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
just tried to listen to it [for the first time]. FUCK!!! , It does not boot up at all. I have/use a PANASONIC [5 DISC] DVD/CD PLAYER DVD-F87. It works on my PC.

I'll return it, see if it's juast a bad disc. No TOOL for me . I'll listen to Pearl Jam again, then.
I have a Panasonic dvd player too(DVD S-47).
Old 05-02-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Damn that sucks. Well I'll prob-ly won't be able to exchange it 'till the weekend. Keep me/us updated, "ASTROCHIMP" [if U do infact exchange it].
Old 05-02-06, 09:50 PM

I got my copy yesterday from a MOM n Pop store. The CD sounds a TON better than the version that leaked. I love the album.

I love the packaging. However, why is there a warning.... what HARM could possibly come from the glasses that cause them to put a warning? Just curious if anyone knows.
Old 05-02-06, 09:51 PM

gerrythedon, nice montage of Met lyrics there! It actually looks like they could go together
Old 05-02-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by 5point7
I love the packaging. However, why is there a warning.... what HARM could possibly come from the glasses that cause them to put a warning? Just curious if anyone knows.
Probably none, but considering so many people are sue happy I can't say I blame them.
Old 05-02-06, 10:02 PM

im curious...anyone here who considers themselves to be a tool fan and doesnt like this cd? im a fan and personally i dont like it at all...i wonder if im alone.
Old 05-02-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chino77
im curious...anyone here who considers themselves to be a tool fan and doesnt like this cd? im a fan and personally i dont like it at all...i wonder if im alone.
I consider myself a Tool fan, and I'm undecided on the album for now. I definitely think that Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days are great, but I have always like Tool's more progressive stuff.

Out of curiousity, which past album is your favorite?
Old 05-02-06, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Corvin
I consider myself a Tool fan, and I'm undecided on the album for now. I definitely think that Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days are great, but I have always like Tool's more progressive stuff.

Out of curiousity, which past album is your favorite?
aenima is my fav cd...i really didnt think lateralus was great. it was much better than 10,000 days though. give me opiate,undertow,or aenima any day. i guess tool has moved past what i like.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.