Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tool discussion thread [inc "10,000 Days" reviews]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Tool discussion thread [inc "10,000 Days" reviews]

Old 05-03-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by 5point7
gerrythedon, nice montage of Met lyrics there! It actually looks like they could go together
thanks. They mean alot. Kinda sums me up [in my own way].
Old 05-03-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Ok it works in the cd player in my car so the only thing that wont play it is my dvd player.Probably no point in exchanging it since i doubt it'll make a difference but im still thinking about it.
I'll exchange it. If the same thing occurs, then I'll just make a copy of it and keep the original in mint condition. I'll make sure to look at the packaging once in a while.

Anyway thanks for the update.

Last edited by gerrythedon; 05-03-06 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like someone said earlier it takes me a while to get the full effect of a new Tool album. I've listened to the album straight through 5 or 6 times now and it gets better with each listen. I'll wait to try and rank this with their other albums after I've had more time to absorb it and after I've seen them perform the songs live. I've seen many live shows but nothing I've seen compares to a live Tool show. I saw them once after Aenima and four times after Lateralus and after the shows I had a new respect for the albums.

As of now I'd rank the albums like this:
1. Aenima
2. Lateralus
3. Undertow
4. Opiate

TBD - 10,000 Days
Old 05-04-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
As others have said, it usually takes me a while to end up liking an album, as well as hearing them live. I did not like Lateralus when it first came out. After seeing them live, then listening to the album several times, I ended up liking it quite a bit.

So far, 10,000 Days doesn't have anything that pops out at me. I like listening to albums straight through, but other times I just want to hear something rocking. At this point, this album doesn't have anything like that.

Aenima is my favorite.
Old 05-04-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've became a Tool fan when Aenima first came out and have been a big fan since. I didn't pick up Lateralus till way after it came out because the Schism single didn't realy grab me at first. Once I did pick it up, I fell in love with it. So here I am listening to 10,000 Days and realy dig the first 4 tracks. The beginning of The Pot is cool but than it quickly looses steam and just becomes sort of bland. And it's down hill from there, although I like Resetta Stoned quite a bit too. I realy dig the album but don't love it. I have a feeling that it will grow on me with time, but I still don't think it's up to par with their last 2 albums. I've read that the guys weren't together when writing the songs and that might be the reason why this album is a somewhat of a disapointment, besides the fact that they're getting old (Maynard is in his 40's).

With that said, Tool, Prefect Circle, NIN, & Deftones are still the best bands around.

PS. I respect their creativity, but I think the album cover is pretty stupid. Not the image just the whole concept of glasses with pictures, sounds interesting on paper, in reality it's pretty pointless. And I like trippy stuff.
Old 05-04-06, 10:18 PM

Received 966 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by joeblow69
Yeah, it's dumb, because when I think back on that song, all I remember is
Monkey killing monkey killing monkey killing
Right, because the song certainly couldn't have served as metaphor for how man reverts to its primitive roots when committing something as frivolous as war.
Old 05-04-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by dogmatica
Right, because the song certainly couldn't have served as metaphor for how man reverts to its primitive roots when committing something as frivolous as war.
My point wasn't that there is no deeper meaning to the song (I think I conceided that there probably was). I'm just saying that the song is overly dull, so the only thing that's even remotely memorable is the goofy lyric that's repeated alot - "Monkey killing monkey killing monkey killing".
Old 05-04-06, 11:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I love Right in Two. Listening to it felt like the first real moment where I thought the album would become something special to me over time. It is a classic TOOL track, in the same vein as something like Pushit (...maybe) but more epic. Around the five minute mark the band just goes balls out. Everything just clicks and it shakes every bone in my body. Bringing me to my point, I love the "Monkey killing monkey killing..." lines. Maynard's voice works really well singing it. I read early lyric reports and thought that the line was laughable. Just couldn't imagine it being real, or how they would fit it in, or what it meant. Hearing it on the record makes total sense now, making me believe that TOOL is probably the only band who could sing something like that without getting laughed off the stage.

Slowly starting to enjoy the record. Rosetta Stoned is challenging me though. W
Old 05-04-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep finally listened to it. Made a copy of it [why didn't I do this on Tuesday ]

So I can listen to it as a CD-R, but not the the original cd.

Oh well. I'm gonna borrow my brothers copy and try it on my player (prob-ly won't play, will be same result as mentioned in the beginning of post)., before I decide to return at all.

I'll make a home made cd cover for my CD-R, then.
Old 05-05-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, but when do we think the next Tool album will come out? Another five years in 2011?

How many more albums do we foresee them making before they stop producing?
Old 05-05-06, 05:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I think they have one more record to do under their current contract. So at least one more? And with Maynard all but breaking up A Perfect Circle, I'm not sure it will be as long as we have come to expect. The time between AEnima and Lateralus was mainly from the legal dispute, which turned into an APC thing once they took off. Maynard has said he didn't expect to tour with them for so long but said he had to allow APC the time it earned. So, because of APC's popularity, the time between Lateralus and 10,000 Days again turned into five years because of that continued success.

Personally I see a time comparable to the time between Undertow and AEnima...i.e. 3 years or so. So maybe 2009? Here's hoping...

I'm still trying to find my way though this new record though, so I'm not really concerned.
Old 05-05-06, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by david12
And with Maynard all but breaking up A Perfect Circle, I'm not sure it will be as long as we have come to expect.
Wha? Is APC done?
Old 05-05-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where's the link that mentions this so-called breakup?
Old 05-05-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think APC had a three-record contract. But I could be wrong.
Old 05-05-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Corvin
I think APC had a three-record contract. But I could be wrong.
And they've released three records.
Old 05-06-06, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarthMarino
And they've released three records.

Actually 4 albums.
Old 05-06-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there anyway to get Salival without paying a crazy amount for it? Do any of the online music vendors have a downloadable version?? I know Yahoo! doesn't, and I don't feel like downloading iTunes just to see if Tool is in their catalogue.
Old 05-06-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there anyway to get Salival without paying a crazy amount for it? Do any of the online music vendors have a downloadable version?? I know Yahoo! doesn't, and I don't feel like downloading iTunes just to see if Tool is in their catalogue.
allofmp3.com has it for $2.08:

http://music.allofmp3.com/r2/Tool/Sa...html?albref=14
Old 05-06-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus

Thanks a lot. That's awesome.
Old 05-07-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by heimerSWT
FYI, at Coachella, Tool:

Played: The Pot, Jambi, Vicarious (in that order, mixed with/between old songs)
MJK wore Jeans and nothing else but a cowboy hat (like the promo pics). When the hat was removed, he had a short mohawk.
Had two large video screens on the left and right (like past recent tours), but also had 4 smaller video screens all side by side behind the band (as opposed to a single screen behind MJK).

The performance was awesome, btw.
Hey, What else can I expect to hear when I see them this weekend? Thanks
Old 05-07-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
On second thought, the site is a bit fishy. Have you purchased from them before??
Old 05-07-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

On second thought, the site is a bit fishy. Have you purchased from them before??
they are fine. i thought everyone on the net knew about that site.

Last edited by chino77; 05-07-06 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-07-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chino77
they are fine. i thought everyone on the net knew about that site.
Just checking.
Old 05-08-06, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by J-Dubya
Hey, What else can I expect to hear when I see them this weekend? Thanks
They played a very "mainstream" set. Basically, they played all of their big radio hits (minus Prison Sex). No Third Eye, Pushit, H, Refection/Triad/etc, Opiate songs. I would imagine this was a major promo thing for them since the album was being released 24 hours after they ended it.

This was the setlist:

Stinkfist
The Pot
46&2
Jambi
Schism
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima
Old 05-08-06, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They are a Russian site there is a nice thread on the site here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...light=allofmp3

I have not purchased anything yet, but I will soon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.